[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good Metroidvania games available on PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: Metroid-vs-Castlevania-2.jpg (110 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Metroid-vs-Castlevania-2.jpg
110 KB, 720x480
What are some good Metroidvania games available on PC
>>
>>331306604
>on PC

Nothing, unless you emulate.
>>
>>331306669
But that's straight up wrong. I can already think of a few.
>>
File: 1319258000350.jpg (343 KB, 994x720) Image search: [Google]
1319258000350.jpg
343 KB, 994x720
Guacamelee
Cave Story
>>
Well, all the castlevania and metroid games that you can emulate.

Also, Momodora series is good.
>>
Valdis Story.
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Axiom Verge
La-Mulana but it's an overrated, slow as shit trash
>>
Shadow Complex was really good, and I think that's meant to be getting a PC/PS4/Xbone reissue soon.

Ori and the Blind Forest, also.
>>
>>331306739
>guacamelee

he said good

>cave story

not really metroidvania
>>
Environmental station alpha is fucking great
Axiom Verge
>>
>>331306903
Cave story is very metroidvania, it just has a large emphases on platforming with its unique floaty mechanics. It's still a game that rewards exploration, memorization, and fighting.
>>
>>331306950
>Cave story is very metroidvania

No.
>>
>>331306604
Touhouvania
Touhouvania 2
>>
>>331306990
Excellent argument.

Let me shove it where you pulled it out from, your ass.
>>
La-Mulana is one of better metroidvanias, but it places a lot of emphasis on the puzzles rather than the action though, so for a lot people it's hit or miss.
>>
File: セイナルモノヘ.jpg (73 KB, 645x506) Image search: [Google]
セイナルモノヘ.jpg
73 KB, 645x506
セイナルモノヘ, or seinaru mono he.

Boss fights take literally TWENTY minutes to kill though, jesus christ.
>>
What do you guys enjoy in metroidvanias? The combat? The intricate and complex maps?
>>
>>331306604

Xeodrifter is pretty neato
>>
>>331307137
music desu

it's pretty hard to fuck up the other aspects of a metroidvania so music is always what I look to
>>
File: untitledstory1.jpg (25 KB, 908x692) Image search: [Google]
untitledstory1.jpg
25 KB, 908x692
>>331307048
Anon is right though. Cave story is linear and you advance forward based on the plot, with a couple of things you can go back for later on when you get access to old locations. You go from Egg Corridor to Grasstown because you beat a boss and walked back to get the next bit of plot.

Metroidvanias generally have you advance with new items or skills. You get up to that next area by double jumping over that high ledge, slide dash/morph balling through that tight space, or bombing that suspicious wall. It's what makes it unique and while Cave Story is definitely a superb game, it it NOT a Metroidvania.

Try La Mulana, Untitled Story, or Lyle in Cube Sector. La Mulana is one of my all time indie favorites. The latter two are underrated and free to download. (And so is the classic version of La Mulana)
>>
>>331307003
good, but not metroidvania
just classicvania with touhou characters and bullet hell bosses
>>
I'd recommend Aquaria and Odallus.
Odallus is more leaning towards classic Castlevania: there is no unified map to backtrack through, but rather a series of separate levels each with a secret sub-level, hidden items and artifacts that give you new abilities.
>>
Strider is pretty fun.
>>
>>331306604
Super Metroid
>>
>>331306950
On a first playthrough, CS may ''feel'' like a jump'n'exploran game (mostly because there is no concept of ''stage''), but after that it is easy to notice how linear it actually is.
There is absolutely no backtracking other than optional and somewhat secret stuff (just like a typical Megaman game, for example). Even when you return to some areas (like the village and the egg area), these areas always get some sort of ''update'' unrelated to your equipment and upgrades.
The whole point of backtracking in metroidvanias is to use your new equipment to find new things on old areas to get some progress. In Cave Story, progression is entirely controlled by the story.
If anything, Cave Story is more like Zelda: Get to new area, get new equipment in the said area, use it to reach boss/next cutscene, go to another new area, old equipment is mandatory for basic exploration and you need to find a new one to progress again.
>>
File: 230px-Yamane2010.jpg (20 KB, 230x299) Image search: [Google]
230px-Yamane2010.jpg
20 KB, 230x299
>>331307538
Yamane never gets enough appreciation. Wh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mem9m1qyKAg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF90d0vDv1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5zYp4hph_Q
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.