[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Grace and Trip: Well written characters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
In modern movie-esque EXPERIENCE games, do you ever get this weird uncanny valley-like reaction to poorly written characters? Obviously in games where GAMEPLAY is paramount, who cares? But, in games where you're either expected to interact with NPCs or the player character and the NPCs interact in cut-scenes, this starts to stand out as particularly bad. I think if you're days/months/years away from the game, and you can't even remember a single character beyond that their roles was, if even that, you could reasonably call that NPC well-written.

Premise laid out, are Grace and Trip well-written?

They're multifaceted with complex histories that overlap and diverge over and over, and you can touch/tug their little life-threads and pull them to and fro into eachother and into your "character." The end of the game is you leaving them alone, even in good endings, and you're left knowing that they'll have complex interacting future histories, even if you leave with them hating each other and you.

It's been, like, nearly a decade? They game is ugly as sin and clunky as hell, but are Grace and Trip well-written or well-rounded characters?

Do you ever think about them?
>>
melon
>>
>>331191603
Faggot.
>>
>>331191603
you're shill, but I'll take a look on youtube
>>
File: you've gotta go.png (13 KB, 300x330) Image search: [Google]
you've gotta go.png
13 KB, 300x330
>>331191649
>>
File: trip.jpg (55 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
trip.jpg
55 KB, 480x270
>>331191649
>>
Not really. They've only become interesting because of unintended character traits the audience has applied to them. e.g. Trip's hatred of melons.
>>
>>331191689
What are you talking about?
>>
>>331191745
I don't think that's true. I mean, that can be said of a lot of things, post-factually. But going into it and playing it in a vacuum, I think they're very... Large? I think they are very large characters.

And yeah, I kind of fucked up my little text in the OP, I said "It's been nearly a decade" but didn't follow that up with "I still think about them, as people." Felt like the point was still there, though.

>>331192420
That person thinks I was advertizing a hot new indie title with a clickstarter and patreon.
>>
Reminder that there was going to be a sequel to Facade called The Party where there'd be ten different people to fuck with and all kinds of new ways to do so, including having sex with them and killing them.

But it never got the funding.
>>
>>331193436
You reminded me of something I never knew about.

Ouch. Now I have to ask, "Why even live?"
>>
File: 1444644370803.jpg (196 KB, 1200x798) Image search: [Google]
1444644370803.jpg
196 KB, 1200x798
>>331193358
>I think they are very large characters.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 400x400
>>331191649
>>
I felt that their dialogue was way more "natural" than most dialogue I hear from games, except for your interruptions. It was very well voice acted.
>>
>>331193942
Tell me about Trip.

Why does he hate the melon?
>>
Is there any way to actually solve their problems?

I've played it a couple of times and only succeeded in revealing different problems that cause them to break up.
>>
File: WarioLaugh.png (61 KB, 524x508) Image search: [Google]
WarioLaugh.png
61 KB, 524x508
>>331191649
>>331191728
>>331191736
>>331194794

Every damn time.
>>
>>331195304
I don't know how I got it exactly, but I have reached a "good" ending once, I put stageplay in a pastebin so maybe it'll help you.

http://pastebin.com/g2C6x7W8
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.