[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Skyward Sword has the best overworld out of all the 3D Zelda
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: 1.jpg (1 MB, 975x1368) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1 MB, 975x1368
Skyward Sword has the best overworld out of all the 3D Zelda games. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>331163259
You mean the sky? Nah, it's boring with nothing to do.
>>
>>331163310
>the sky is the entire overworld
How do people this stupid even breathe?
>>
It has the best ground world, sure. It's equivalent to TP's fields or WW's seas, the sky exploration, was absolute shit though, granted that's a weak point for every 3D Zelda game.

I'm just happy they stepped up the dungeon puzzles, even the standbys like switch-hitting and torch lighting usually had a twist this time around.
>>
>>331163310
Even the Sky was better than the overworlds of past Zelda games. It was fast to go through, all of the shops were in one central location, and there were no dumbass charts or anything like that. I really don't see what's so bad about it.
>>
>>331163538
The lack of an open field (or at least open sea) was kinda shitty. Also, the ground world should have been connected so that you didn't have to go to the sky just to visit another part of it.
>>
>>331163415
The paths that lead to dungeons (aka the volcano, forest, and sandsea) are pretty much just... Paths to dungeons that don't connect with each other. The sky is traversable and leads to anywhere; it's the over world.
>>
>>331163758
This is one of my main gripes with Skyward Sword. The ground felt so much like a watered-down point A to point B dungeon as opposed to an explorative open area, which wouldn't be so bad if the Sky overworld didn't suck so much.
>>
zelda sucks
>>
>>331163758
If you want to consider what an overworld is in that way, then Hyrule Field in OoT and TP are the overworlds for those games and each is much worse than the Sky.

>>331164010
Compared to what? Let's look at other 3D Zelda games. Once you leave Hyrule field you get to an area like Death Mountain (a single path up a volcano with a town at the bottom) or Zora's River (a single path up a river with a town at the end). It's not even worth bringing up WW in this respect, and MM is just the same as OoT and TP but actually a bit more interestingly designed in that it has a FORK in the road that leads to either a dungeon or a town.

Compared to other 3D zeldas, SS's areas are much more interesting when you return to them because how you move through them changes immensely either through the landscape itself changing or having new items..
>>
>>331164930
Even OoT Hyrule Field has more in it than the Sky
>>
>>331165908
>just lying
You gotta dress up b8 a little prettier than that anon.
>>
>overworld is skyloft and a bunch of dotted islands
>flying down to the landscape leaves you isolated from other parts of the map
>dungeons are way off in the middle of nowhere, unlike the last 5 games where dungons were set up to be right in the open where you can find them
>most of the treasure hunting you do is exclusive to the monsters found in the areas

Shit overworld.
>>
>>331166331
(you)
>>
>>331166459
I don't understand your effeminate attempt at offense.
>>
>>331163259
>Forest
>Tiny as shit
>Volcano
>Nothing to do in it
>Desert
>Annoying to get around but pretty cool
>>
File: zelda laugh.gif (851 KB, 388x282) Image search: [Google]
zelda laugh.gif
851 KB, 388x282
>>331166526
>implying I mean offense
>projecting this hard
>challenging someone's masculinity
>in a thread for games that are literally fairy tales
>being a namefag
I mean come on, no one was gonna fall for that earlier post.
>>
>>331164930
>SS's areas are much more interesting when you return to them because how you move through them changes immensely either through the landscape itself changing or having new items.

The thing is, Skyward Sword just didn't execute that very well. For example, the forest area flooding was a neat concept, but when your time there is spent doing shit like collecting tadpoles (not hard or overly long, but not fun either, and feels like obvious padding), it feels like the entire idea goes to waste.

I'm not necessarily opposed to what Skyward Sword is going for, but when the execution feels weak, and the actual overworld is an unholy abomination, it leaves a lot to be desired.
>>
>literally no villages
>linear as fuck
yeah no the skyward sword overworld is trash, it's just one big dungeon with a handful of forgettable characters strewn about, and this is coming from someone who actually likes the game
>>
>>331163259
You mean the level select screen? or the padding to the temple? neither of which is an overworld and both are so shit it's laughable.
>>
>>331163259
Teh only good part about it was Lanayru. Rest was ass.
>>
It's certainly the most focused but areas end up feeling more like dungeons than fields. Depending on your preference that could be a good thing, I guess. If we're talking about the sky though then it's almost offensively inoffensive.Sky traversal is functional but damn is it bland.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEge_2Vuft0
>>
>>331167181
So you didn't hate the tadtones, good. Clawshot changes how you get around the desert immensely and returning to the volcano had the no-sword/stealth/rely on your items section. I liked returning for the goddess chests you need items to reach too. Or sometimes it's not these big changes that make the area fresh, like when the ropes are gone in the sky temple approach.

It's still all much more than some deku babas in kokiri forest's village, a frozen Zora's domain, or even any of MM's big weather/environment changes where you just get another minigame most of the time.

SS has fewer areas, but even aside from changing up upon revisiting there's the secondary areas that open up in the provinces like Lake Floria and the dried up lake in the desert.

I think it's easy to write SS off when you're trying to summarize an area to talk about in a brief post. It's easy for your brain to sort of quickly calculate that SS only has three areas and you have to go back to them so that means there's less stuff than in other 3D Zeldas, but in reality an area like Faron Woods has more content than Korkiri Forest plus Zora's Domain. The areas themselves without any backtracking are certainly more interesting to transverse than anything in OoT or TP.

I just don't get these kinds of complaints about the overworld, hub, sky, surface, provinces, whatever when you are comparing SS to other 3D Zelda games.
>>
>>331167285
>linear as fuck
>never going back to an area that didn't progress the story to get more chests or do the side quests of taking surface people to skyloft
You can't blame the game for your choices anon. By what you call linear, every 3D zelda is linear and you shouldn't be expecting shit.
>>
File: mushivomit.png (321 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
mushivomit.png
321 KB, 680x680
>>331163259
(you) are retarded and should consider a new hobby.
>>
>>331170610
>dear diary, today I posted an anime reaction image and called someone retarded instead of being able to articulate a position
>today was a good day
>>
>>331167374
>shitposting intensifies
>>
File: SinBling.png (230 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
SinBling.png
230 KB, 640x360
>>331171541
I bought the game(60$ plus the wii motion plus remote) thinking that it was going to be Windwaker in the sky.

Cons
>Most the gameplay takes place on the ground and has nothing to do with a sky world.

>The controls are very iffy.

>The temples where lack luster and short (most of them, I like the water temple).

>No Shadow temple was lame, I was looking forward to it.

>The story moments were cool but there where to few.

>The upgrade system felt shoe horned in.

Pros

>The art was nice

>Music was nice

>Cool character design, I really liked Ghirahim.

>As I said before the story was cool but they just didn't put enough of those cut scenes in.

Over all I had a stroke when I paid all that money for the game just to get a disappointment.
>>
>>331172537
>thinking that it was going to be Windwaker in the sky.
So the worst 3D Zelda in the Sky? I can't wait to see a list of your pros and cons.

>not enough sky
>I suck at motion controls
>terrible taste in dungeons
>liked the water dungeon but didn't realize it was also the shadow dungeon
>too few story moments
>didn't like upgrade system, doesn't know what shoe horned means

At least your pros are a bit more reasonable but you forgot
>best combat in a 3D zelda

Maybe your 'wind waker in the sky' comment is throwing me off, but do you think WW was actually a good 3d zelda? It'd explain a lot about your views on SS if you did.

It's not like the motion controls were perfect, but they hardly were so faulty that it negatively impacted the game if you don't fuck up.
>>
File: 1415421011658.jpg (23 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1415421011658.jpg
23 KB, 320x240
>>331163259
>>
>>331163259

ugh gross it's all segmented and full of arbitrary restrictions

could have been good in theory, but the execution was half-baked, no dice.
>>
File: Manga_Constansa.jpg (88 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Manga_Constansa.jpg
88 KB, 500x500
>>331173076
>Naw I just have genuinely disabled hands, I just dislike motion controls.That aside I still find the technology to be very unpolished.

>I loved Wind Waker as a child. I dislike it as an adult but didn't have my nostalgia ruined for it at the point that SS came out. My favourite is Twilight Princess. Its just updated OoT.

>LttP is my favorite for combat though and is a close runner up to TP.

>I know the whole water shadow temple thing but you spend very little time in the shadow part.

>Going through the forest temple twice.
Re using assets in general to that degree.

>I still stand by the points I made in last post.

I hated the game when I first got but now I don't. It just feels unpolished.I look around a room in first person mode in twilight princess and found cool stuff you could only see if you took the time to look at blind spots; like family pictures and nic nacs. Nothing like this comes to mind with SS.

I just feel like with some more time it could have been a great game and not just an okay game.
>>
>>331163739
That sky was empty and barren. You had jack to find and even less reason to explore it, unless rupees and heart medals are your thing. And don't get me started on the surface. Just as bad and barren.
>>
>>331174771
>unless rupees and heart medals are your thing
But WW's tiny stupid rupee and heart container islands were worth it?
>>
File: Miniblinattack.jpg (2 MB, 4685x3583) Image search: [Google]
Miniblinattack.jpg
2 MB, 4685x3583
>>331175075
At least you had more than just rupees and heart pieces to find. At least the arenas with enemy swarms were a nice way to get some combat in, especially the nonstop Miniblin hoarde and the Bombchu submarine. You had a hell of a lot more to find in the Great Sea than in that barren sky.
>>
>>331175374
>All those copypasta submarines/ships

I swear this game was made in half a year
>>
>>331175374
So fighting enemies is the big reward for exploring in WW. Cool. No that's a really good reason to go to those islands, you're right.

What SS also had were big provinces that had stuff to explore and you know those goddess chests are coming from somewhere. WW has nothing that compares to that, it's not like SS is so huge or expansive, but WW has no analog to the surface. So the sky doesn't need as much to do in it as the great sea does, because the sea is a 'larger' part of the game.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.