[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was it a bad game design?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: FFVI - Jump-Wait-468x.jpg (24 KB, 468x340) Image search: [Google]
FFVI - Jump-Wait-468x.jpg
24 KB, 468x340
Was it a bad game design?
>>
An option to wait is rubbed in your face, obviously something is going to happen.
>>
>>331092428
You have option wait pretty often in this game
>>
>>331092364
No.

Thanks for asking.
>>
>>331092364
No.
>>
>>331092364
Never played FFVI, what is this?
>>
>>331092364
What do you mean?
>>
>>331092364
No.
Who's stupid enough to jump when the airship is not even directly below? I didn't even know Shadow will appear.
>>
>>331092364
No.
>>
>>331093280
A party member living and being playable for the second half of the game is determined by whether or not you press wait and wait until there's like :10 seconds left or something. It's been a while since I've played it.
>>
>>331093280
Floating continent, Kefka fucks with some statues and ruins the world and becomes god basically
Also no why would it be considered bad design?
>>
>>331093280
If you don't wait, you're abandoning a party member on an exploding flying island. If you wait you can get him to join your party again, if you jump before he returns he permadies.

Considering you know the guy is still there and you explicitly get the option to wait for him, there's really no reason to jump. But some babbies just can't put one and one together and arrive at two so they just jumped to get on with the game, and then got butthurt realising they just killed a party member.
>>
>>331092428
The logical assumption is that it is just confirming that you want to leave this unrevisitable location.

I don't think it's bad design though, it's just a secret. Secrets are nifty little things that are designed to make you want to replay the game when you learn about them.
>>
File: 1452709682831.png (125 KB, 344x341) Image search: [Google]
1452709682831.png
125 KB, 344x341
>>331093837
>Considering you know the guy is still there and you explicitly get the option to wait for him, there's really no reason to jump. But some babbies just can't put one and one together and arrive at two so they just jumped to get on with the game, and then got butthurt realising they just killed a party member.

This.

People complain it is bad game design, likely because they are MUCH too used to getting their hand-held in modern games as opposed to making their own decisions and considering that options you get might actually have an impact, especially when combined with what is actually happening in the game.

You flee an exploding island, your airship is below, you have a party-member somewhere behind you and you have an option to wait. Put two and two together and!?!??!
>>
The ninja dude is coming right? Haven't play this shit for YEARS.
>>
>>331094589
Yeah, he joins you when there's like 10 seconds left on the clock.
>>
>>331092364
No, but Shadow dying at the end anyway, even if you save him is pretty effin lame.
>>
I don't think so. Because you can see the timer it's safe for curious players to hold on a little while.
>>
>>331094383
>>331093837
Again, you forgot about part there game gives you option to wait constantly, especially in the zones where you can't return. And was linear as fuck there your choices do nothing
So not warning that this time is different was kinda low
>>
>>331092364
>waiting that long
Well I jumped the first time
how would you change it? write Wait FOR SHADOW?
>>
>>331094850
>I'm literally retarded and can't see obvious context clues, so I need the game to literally spell everything out for me

Modern gamers, everyone.
>>
>>331094850
Previous sections didn't have timers.
>>
>>331094964
>i enjoyed the old games where i had to put up with so much shit
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (17 KB, 468x260) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
17 KB, 468x260
>>331094873
It literally does say 'gotta wait for Shadow.'
>>
>>331095876
>>331094873
btfo
>>
>>331095876
except that's the second time they ask you
if you do nothing after the first "Wait" and let the timer run out you get a game over
>>
>>331095783
Why can't Metroid crawl?
>>
>>331096752
But it's obvious that you should initiate event second time when there only 10sec left and not earlier, there so many clues!
Fucking modern gamers
>>
>>331096752
You got rekt son, now fuck off.
>>
>>331097054
>n-no m-my perfect game is flawed Dx

cry more
>>
>>331096752
That's because you didn't make a decision to wait. And really, who sits there with the box open?
>>
File: 1430440567318.png (570 KB, 585x695) Image search: [Google]
1430440567318.png
570 KB, 585x695
Goddamn this part. Shadow was my favorite character, and I had a lot of trouble passing this part of game I was stuck for hours, so when there was FINALLY an option to finish this I didn't think twice and just jumped

Way later I understood what I did because there was of course no internet back then. I was MAD and had to replay a huge chunk of the game again

That said this is the kind of shit games should have more, no it's not bad game design.
>>
no but i still missed Shadow and jumped off at the first opportunity.

the game was really tense. the screen was shaking, the monsters seemed to swarm me. instinctively there was nothing to do but literally get the fuck out asap
>>
>>331092364

i'm not sure but what i can tell you is that i'm still fucking pissed
>>
>>331092364
>not giving the remake a chance
>>
>>331098913
This looks objectively terrible, compared to the original or on its own.
>>
>>331099101
why? in all honesty, it just looks sharper than OP's pic.
>>
>>331095876
>i was able to solve it so i'm smart and it's good game design then

No it's not, i have to do especificaly what the game wants me to do in order to avoid that bullshit, i'm not going to question the choice and all that, i question why that shit had to be there to begin with
>>
>>331099636
You, as the player, KNEW that Shadow was still on the island. Why would Setzer not immediately take off as soon as you guys landed?

If you can beat Atma Weapon just before this, you can easily beat those clown fuckers and get back to the airship with over a minute left. It's not like you're in a huge hurry and I GOTTA LEAVE RIGHT NOW.

It's not like Shadow is a great character to have in battle anyway (protip, he's actually pretty bad) even if he is the coolest motherfucker in the game.

If you think it's bad game design to make you wait for someone you know will die if you leave, then well, that's like your opinion or whatever, man.
>>
>>331093837
To be fair, he dies again later.
>>
>>331100943
But Interceptor lives, and that's what's important.
>>
>>331099636
Actually I jumped the first time. When I discovered that there's a secret that allows Shadow to survive I wanted to play the game again to try it.
That is why it's good game design.
>>
>>331100943
he died? what actually happened, I forgot. he just literally held open a door or something and got left behind?
>>
>>331101113
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSmuAvMZ4FE
>>
>>331101357
Wasn't the ending full of fake outtakes?
>>
>>331101608
It's canon that he basically intended to die there because he was sick of running from his past or whatever (Baram was his old partner you see in the dream sequence in Thamasa). You don't actually see him bite it so who knows if he's actually dead, it's not like there's an FF6: The After Years.
>>
Shadow is my fourth favorite character and it's been almost a decade since I've waited for him. His death there is thematically appropriate. Just like a certain other person's. I like big choices, no matter how well-informed you are and it's not that unfair here. I think it's good game design.
>>
>>331102156
explain further
>>
>>331102301
I think what he means is that the mere fact that the choice was presented, regardless of the outcome, made the event more significant.
Which is by itself a good design.

I kind of agree with this.
It's only a "bad design" if you see the game as merely a combination of it's basic mechanics, rather than the whole experience.
>>
>>331102301

It adds to the World of Ruin's beginning as a significant loss. Props up Kefka some more. Gives Shadow a not exactly heroic death, but how should I say this? A logical end for his profession and pure non-feeling, which he is abandoning right then and there? Beyond that Shadow dying in the tower later always left me with a strange after taste, since the theme of hope is so vital towards the end. That he would choose suicide for no reason and wouldn't even hope for a reconciliation with Relm? I mean he goes through all the trouble to end Kefka and save the others, a job well done, sure and maybe he feels too tainted and guilty and chooses to repay his debt to Baram, which is certainly interesting, but I just can't accept it in the grand scheme of things in the climax. It seems unfitting. Not bad, but odd.
>>
>>331103640
He wanted to make the world safer for his daughter, and he finally accomplished that.
>>
Thanks god today's games spoonfeed you...
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.