[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Western Games in a nutshell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: east-vs-west-culture.png (124 KB, 285x250) Image search: [Google]
east-vs-west-culture.png
124 KB, 285x250
>Western games are like packaged goods (where most of the suits working at western publishers now come from). I can hand you an Xbox controller and you’ll likely be able to tell me exactly which button shoots, which button zooms down the scope. There will probably be a forced stealth section somewhere down the line too. Look and behold the copy paste game design and the terror of a ledger with boxes being mechanically checked.

>Every month sees at least two or three of pretty much that exact same game made by different and ultimately far less talented teams. For the west its easier just to avoid all of the extra work that goes into designing perfectly manufactured hallways with just the right enemy placement and instead toss us into big, open areas with lots of fun stuff to play around with.

>Only gaming really makes you work for the next bit of story or emotion or what-have-you. Western devs try to flatten those experiences and make them rote and predictable so that they can try to engage with non-gamers, especially the people who will never play their product in a million years, which dilutes the magic.

>In western games if the best moments in the game are all, hell every single one of them, outside of the combat and yet the combat makes up ninety percent of the experience as a whole, then you know that something is clearly wrong.

http://www.unigamesity.com/5-reasons-why-western-developed-games-are-boring-and-how-to-fix-them/
>>
>>331088494
Great, now someone make one for the East and let's see how much butt hurt rises from it
>>
>>331088494
It doesn't have to do with Western Culture. It has to do with Business Culture. Japanese games have their tropes too. Hand a japanese man a controller and he can tell you directly which one attacks and which one checks the inventory etc
>>
1) think witcher 3's fast and strong attacks
2) think witcher 3's witcher senses
3) think witcher 3's hastily written and over too quickly side quests
4) think witcher 3's empty open world

Now think about that Witcher 3 got GOTY for 2015 and its considered by most the best game ever made.

Americucks and Europoors are such tools.
>>
>>331088747
>Japanese games are like packaged goods (where most of the suits working at Japanese publishers now come from). I can hand you a PS3 controller and you’ll likely be able to tell me exactly which button opens the menu, which button places the camera behind your character. There will probably be a hot spring section somewhere down the line too. Look and behold the copy paste game design and the terror of a ledger with boxes being mechanically checked.
>Every month sees at least two or three of pretty much that exact same game made by different and ultimately far less talented teams. For Japan its easier just to avoid all of the extra work that goes into designing perfectly manufactured open worlds with just the right enemy placement and instead toss us into long, linear corridors with lots of random encounters.
>Only gaming really makes you work for the next bit of story or emotion or what-have-you. Japanese devs try to flatten those experiences and make them rote and predictable so that they can try to engage with otakus, especially the people who only play their product for anime girls, which dilutes the magic.
>In Japanese games if the best moments in the game are all, hell every single one of them, outside of the combat and yet the combat makes up ninety percent of the experience as a whole, then you know that something is clearly wrong.
>>
>>331088494
Westacucks on suicide watch
>>
You're not wrong, but eastern/Japanese games are predictable as well.
>>
>>331089594
but do you have proof (not just one game but years and years of proof) or is it just a /v/ meme?
>>
Western developers are pushing Open Sandbox because publishers are run by lemmings.

Before "we want the skyrim audience" you had the "we want the cawadoody audience" which was after the "we want the world of warcraft audience" which was after the "we want the Left4Dead audience" which was after the...well, whatever, I forget, probably the Halo audience or something. It all becomes a foggy mish-mash. Hell, at one time there was a "We want the RTS audience", and the whole industry was awash with shitty fucking RTS games inspired by Dune and Command & Conquer! The point is publishers ALWAYS latch onto a trend and drive it into the fucking ground before they finally fucking move on off of it.

I think--I think--the fucking sandbox fad is finally ending. Shit like Asscreed and Farcry and Just Cuz and Fallout 4 have assloads of money dumped into marketing them but they're failing to leave any lasting impression/lasting value.
>>
>>331090104
so whats next?
>>
>>331090104
>l4d before Warcraft
what the fuck am I reading
>>
>>331090208

didn't the original come out like 10 years ago? I don't really pay attention to BOOM HEADSHOT games.

oh, and Half-Life should've been in there, but Half-Life was 20 years ago.
>>
>>331090205
Moba styled FPS seems to be the next big western thing
>>
-fast and strong attacks from every ACTION game ever
-AC's vision mode
-WoW's hastily written side quests that are over too quickly
-GTA's empty open world with the good parts coming only during the main story
-pour huge sums into marketing and fool everyone its the best game ever made.

CHECK, CHECK AND CHECK.
>>
>>331088494
I agree with most of it. Except maybe the first point, why would you do something worst just to be different feom others? The control is good, we dont need to change it
>>
>>331090479
name a better jrpg? check mate, weeb scum
>>
>>331090479
>WoW's hastily written side quests that are over too quickly

Fuck off. Witcher 3 has some of the best side quests in post-Infinity Engine RPGs.
>>
>muh hurr dark soulz kombat is epeckkk
>>
>>331090104
Rhythm games were somewhere in this mix, too.
>>
>>331090337
Overprized sucks ass and it's gonna flop.
>>
>>331088494
2. Intuitive Controls are Inherently a Bad Idea

Yeah nah your dumb as a nigger I'm not even reading it for clarification "press semicolon to reload" these nuts you assfuck.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.