[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Le "linearity is bad" meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Ffx_intro.jpg (128 KB, 1024x766) Image search: [Google]
Ffx_intro.jpg
128 KB, 1024x766
>Le "linearity is bad" meme
>>
>>331088183
pretty much all the final fantasy games were linear. FFX just stood out more because the lack of an overworld to explore.
>>
>>331088183
>>331088314

>RPG
>Linear
>Good

pick two!

RPG without the sense of exploration is like a horror game without scary moments.
>>
>>331088573
>like a horror game without scary moments
That's FEAR
>>
>>331088183
did anyone else get frustrated with the trials :^)
>>
>>331088609
Exactly! how is that franchise going anon?
>>
I'M HUNGRY
>>
>you can only do sidequests and go back at the end of the game when you get the airship

I hate this.
>>
>>331088573
Define exploration.
Is it the meme kind of exploration where you're plopped in le vast world map of fucking nothing
Or the good kind of exploration ala. complex dungeons
>>
AL BHED
>>
>>331088183
it's a fucking MOVIE. can't get any more linear than that. FF X is trash.
>>
Linearity in terms of needing to progress through a game in order is fine.
Linearity in terms of super rudimentary map designs where you're basically walking a corridor while scripted events happen around you are the problem.
For example DOOM is mostly linear (secrets withstanding) however the map design prompts the player to explore, go back, and activate objects to open new paths.
Compare that to a generic modern shooter where you're only expected to fight your way forward while someone praises you over radio and you get an idea of where the linearity is bad meme comes from.

Also FFX is a turn based RPG, if it was full open world it wouldn't actually gain much because it doesn't affect the gameplay focus at all.
>>
>>331088904
one of the main features of an RPG is the sense that you are in a adventure and not in a movie.

You need to give people the freedom to choose different routes and branches and find loot,secret enemies and dungeons.

I'm not saying it needs to be an empty sandbox like bethesda games but games like ff10 and 13 are a travesty.

Bloodborne(and dark souls 1 at least) is a good example of "linear" game that gives the player a sense of "wait! there is even more places to go? more bosses that i mis
sed and secret loot?"
>>
Holy shit I'm tired of people being fucking idiots on the "linearity" subject and not understanding the differences there are in types of linearity.

FFX is linear in the sense that all the areas lead to the next area. Within the areas are places to go, other things to do, etc.

FF13 is linear in every sense of the word. Every fucking room of the game is a hallway leading to the next hallway. THAT'S what people are talking about when they make fun of how "linear" it is. There is nothing to do but hold the joystick up until you reach the final boss.
>>
>>331089079
basically this
>>
>>331089195
>inb4 le ebin it opens the word up at the end
Where the actual fuck did this meme start? How does a single circle of an area, Gran Pulse, suddenly make it an open world game? There's still jack shit to do there. Fucking retarded.
>>
>Implying that's its only problem.

XIII was just X again, just with a coat of VII paint. Every single problem with it is just a magnified version of X's problems.
>>
>>331088183
Linearity is not bad, but this is a terrible example.
>>
But it's not
It's fucking horrible
>>
>>331089262
13 was 10, if you take away the cities, the NPCs, the story explanations, the searchable areas between pathways, and add in a "play for me" auto-battle button.
>>
>>331089262
this!

FF13 was a flanderization of FF10(which already had its problems)

They tried to push the cinematic aspect of FF franchise to the next level.
>>
>>331088183
I enjoyed this game, but compared to some of the others I rather not pick it up again.
>>
File: 268.jpg (44 KB, 329x399) Image search: [Google]
268.jpg
44 KB, 329x399
FFX is an amazing game.
Tons of content and probably more side shit than any other FF game.
>>
>>331089195
No, FF 1-9 are examples of that first kind of linear. With maybe three exceptions every area in X is just a well disguised hallway. It's the exact same as Xenosaga, one of the most infamous hallway games on PS2.
>>
>>331089396

>auto-battle is play for me
>auto-battle is useful for anything other than commando

2 star scrub detected.
>>
>>331088573

Sacred Underworld
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.