[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /v/ think of silent protagonists? Do you feel more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Crono.jpg (85 KB, 420x750) Image search: [Google]
Crono.jpg
85 KB, 420x750
What does /v/ think of silent protagonists? Do you feel more involved if "you" are the one calling the shots with minimal use of dialog, or if your main character has a set personality and chemistry with the rest of the party?
>>
>>
>>331038490
This desu. They are the best.
>>
File: Tir01.gif (36 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
Tir01.gif
36 KB, 320x320
doesn't really matter to me tbqh
>>
>>331038418
Video games are meant to be played, not read or heard
>>
>>331038418
Yes
>>
>>331038418
Silent protags are easier to account for. With talkers there's always a chance they are faggy and annoying, but the silent ones literally just go around doing shit to save the world or something.

I prefer Claude from GTA 3 to Michael in GTA V for this very reason. Also, Silent protags usually(afaik) have good personalities. Chrono is a badass and he doesn't say a word, that's all there needs to be.
>>
>>331038418
No
>>
>>331038418
soulless and generic just like gohan there. they fulfill the role for the sake of the game, but they're never anything special themselves.
>>
Typically I prefer mutes. But sometimes the immersion is really broken when the team starts getting all "I had a good feeling about you, we should make YOU the leader! Let's get married and shit."

White Knight Chronicles was pretty cool because of hoe you could create your mute, but he wasn't the main character. You just sort of travel with the main character on his journey.
>>
>>331038418
I like them. Mostly because they avoid saying some dumb bullshit that makes me hate them.
>>
>>331039068
>videogames can't be art
>>
>>331039068
Listening and reading are both ways in which the player can interact with the game.
>>
>>331039663
They can, but that doesn't necesarily include reading or hearing.
Do you "hear" books? No.
If a video game is to be art it has to be a good game, not a good read or song.
>>
>>331038418
I care more about the story and characters being written well than whatever my avatar is doing.
>>
>>331039663
>only artforms I'm aware of are cinema and literature
>>
>>331039068
I'd say, depends on the genere.
You can play a rythm game for the music.
You can play an RPG for the story.
>>
>>331041167
You can also watch ballet for asses, but that's not what choreography is about.

Games employ game design first and foremost and there's no way around it. Script or score or art direction only become more important when the core artform, game design, is lacking.
>>
>>331041446
Alright, looks like you are in charge in forcing on people to do what they are suposed to do. Good luck.
>>
File: Bof4-ryu2.jpg (49 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Bof4-ryu2.jpg
49 KB, 480x480
>>331038838
I agree.
>>
>>331038418
They are useful in certain contexts. Many games have things happening where any amount of talking would ruin the tone, and many games have screwed that up by not respecting the power of silence. It also helps with immersion in that they only "speak" by doing the actions you direct them to. They are literally a stand-in for the player, and in certain games that can be useful. (Or played with in that the game can point out how they never speak or with stuff like Metal Gear Solid 2 or Undertale where the main character is specifically separated from the player.)

That said, in games where characters are already established people and presumably have talked before the game began and suddenly aren't when the game is going, it feels weird. I believe they call that ludicronatural dogbiscuits or something.
>>
>>331038418
I liked the fall out 3 and NV way of RPG a lot. I like my character being silent but having options for speech. Also fuck fallout 4 for removing those options
>>
>>331038490
/thread
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.