[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nice looking huds or ui in game or concepts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
File: phzUI.jpg (44 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
phzUI.jpg
44 KB, 854x480
Nice looking huds or ui in game or concepts
>>
>>
File: dead_space.jpg (407 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dead_space.jpg
407 KB, 1920x1080
Dead Space is kind of a given. Nearly all of the information you need throughout the game is built into Isaac's suit. Health is shown through the lit up spine piece, ammo is shown own the guns when you aim, and even when you do go to sift through your menus and items it's all done through a projection that comes out of Isaac's chestpiece. I'd say 90% of the time there's nothing on screen that would be considered a menu. It's fantastic.
>>
File: fallout-3-pip-boy.jpg (180 KB, 700x398) Image search: [Google]
fallout-3-pip-boy.jpg
180 KB, 700x398
Shit on the modern games all you want, but the newer Fallouts had a neat way of doing menus. Bringing up the pip boy to sort through items and stats was a fun way to integrate the world's technology into how the player interacts with stuff. Fallout 1 and 2 somewhat had you bring up stuff like that for waiting, but certainly not in this way. I remember once reading that they apparently struggled to figure out just how much swaying and movement the menu should have considering it's on your arm, so it's neat that thought went into it.
>>
>>330993814
Dead Space had the right idea, in most games there should be little to no HUD. You should be able to show everything in a visual medium without resorting to bells and whistles.
>>
>>330994329
Stop spewing nonsense you fucking faggot, this is how you do pip boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kY7zwfdNbE
>>
>>330994329
Ehh, the UI for this game was decent to look at but not very functional. If they did it like Deadspace where it was appropriate to do such a thing but for Fallout it was not necessary and didn't work well.
>>
>>330994630
>This is how you do pip boy
>It's a PDA
>In a totally different game with different technology

Alrighty then anon. My point wasn't how well it was implemented or used, but that it fit into the world well. Specifically Fallout's world. Not Stalker.
>>
>>330994847
In fallout pip boy takes you out of the fucking game, just stop it, it's an example how not to do HUD.
>>
>>330994753
It wasn't the most effective menu format, but it looked nice which I what the OP was looking for.
>>
>>330994941
I just said my point wasn't about how it was implemented or used, just that it looks neat and was a fun way of doing it. It could've been like Oblivion where you bring up generic pages of information which also takes you out of the world. At least in FO3 it looked nice.
>>
File: skyrim ui.jpg (929 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
skyrim ui.jpg
929 KB, 1920x1080
>>330995063
ok before we turn this into a big discussion about modern fallout UI I'd like to turn this thread to it's original direction by putting this nice looking ui here...
>>
>>330994941
I need that fucking comic where the raiders need to wait for the player to close the pip boy
What the fuck happened to Google anyway? It's a piece of shit now and I can't find anything
>>
>>330995063
Well I don't think it looks particularly neat either, although I grant you that fonts / symbols are fine.

>>330995338
I'm fine with that sort of 'gamey' resolution, after all the game literally pauses in MGS while you switch items. I always found that soothing.
>>
File: 1453899845149.jpg (501 KB, 1814x823) Image search: [Google]
1453899845149.jpg
501 KB, 1814x823
>>
>>330995534
>Well I don't think it looks particularly neat either

Fair enough. I just thought it was a fun way to use the in-game technology. Especially coming away from the nightmare that was Oblivion's vanilla menus. Like >>330995327 brought up, Morrowind's menus were fucking fantastic. I have no idea what they were doing with Oblivion.
>>
>>330995624
Yeah, I thought Fallout 3 on the whole was a pretty good game up until DC ruins, first 5 hours of exploration were the pinnacle of Fallout series. Shame they can't write dialogue.
>>
>>330995605
Both HUDs are pretty bad, left one has far too much shit on screen, left, right, upper left, you name it. Weapon stances should be gouged from body stance during combat, signs could be color coded etc.
>>
>>330993446
why would they scrap this? it looks so much nicer than the shit we got.
>>
>>330995758
I didn't play Last of Us but that looks like shit
>>
>>330995675
Oh yeah, FO3 is a fucking mess of a game in writing. Atmosphere is solid for a bit until, like you said, it wears off after a while. New Vegas fixed some things but was then a bit of a mess in its own way. It's a bummer, Fallout 1 and 2 are such good games.
>>
>>330994630
How are you supposed read that thing?
>>
>>330996105
There's a zoom if you watch the whole video you millenial.
>>
>>330996168
Sorry I couldn't watch a boring ass video that spends 30 seconds showing off the scroll function.
>>
>>330996319
Shame you can't appreciate great modding effort.
>>
>>330994329
The idea was neat, but the actual menus within the pipboy have been universally terrible in 3d fallout games (especially in 4); it's mandatory to mod the UI if you want to escape the tedium of navigating the pipboy.
>>
File: file.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>330995917
this it what it looks like in the final game
>>
>>330993446
That menu makes the game look like it was made in Source
>>
>>330996919
Well that looks like fucking placeholder, but the point is that both look intrusive for no reason, it's a simple action game, not a RPG based around stats.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.