[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What MMO has the best PvP?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 6
File: screenshot2 (1).jpg (114 KB, 800x452) Image search: [Google]
screenshot2 (1).jpg
114 KB, 800x452
What MMO has the best PvP?
>>
>>330992652
small scale or big?
for 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 i'd go with wow
for big scale pvp eso
>>
Shadowbane
WoW and other themepark mmo babbies need not apply.
>>
>>330992832

Really? I heard ESO was shit in pretty much every department.

Running a Warband through Norsca was the most fun I've had in an MMO, period, so I guess I'm looking for large scale.
>>
>>330992652
Just when i thought i had finished mourning.
Thanks for opening up the wound once more, OP.
>>
>>330992832
>Wow
Enjoy researching addons and macros for three weeks while you grind up gear so you can stop being steamrolled. Wow has the shittiest pvp to go into dry, probably okay if you've already been into it for 2 years and haven't fallen behind on gear for the season.
>>
>>330992652
big scale - Lineage 2
small scale - dont know
>>
>>330994051
Self-healing is the single thing that ruins it for me.
>>
>>330993929
Eso pvp is pretty gud in large scale. A tight nit smart group can have some serious advantages in cyrodil over a roving hoarde. Doing shit like sending off scouts and distraction teams is pretty god tier. A group of about 6 good players can take a keep right under someone's nose.
>>
small scale - dragon nest
>>
Guild Wars PvP was pretty good
>>
>>330992652
knight online

it has an animation cancelling glitch that gives a similar feeling to bunnyhopping in fps games. too bad it's mostly p2w now and full of cheaters, not really worth playing anymore.
>>
>>330992652

The only answers should be, in this order:

Lineage 2
Dark Age of Camelot
Age of Reckoning

Everything else is either dogshit or arena-based pvp which is lower than dogshit because it's essentially an arena shooter without any of the actual skill involved.
>>
>>330994880
shame that building a character is 80% of the struggle as there's so few abilities most builds basically play themselves. ESO is not real PvP, it's watered down garbage made for kids who want to ez mode zerg rush.
>>
Ultima Online
Asheron's Call
>>
>>330992652
>has

Sadly, all the good ones are either or forgotten. I guess you always Dark Age of Camelot, but no one plays that anymore aside from hardcore dedicated audience. Lineage 2 never really picked up in the west, sadly.
>>
>>330992652

Planetside 2
>>
is lineage 2 still going? i need a mmo to play
>>
>>330995203

Why did DAoC dwindle? I only hear good things about it, were there some stupid updates or is it just a case of players having short attention span?

CoH was still fun to play up until its closure, so I don't see why an older MMO would be any less fun unless the devs fucked it (like SWG).
>>
>>330995229
Pay 2 win as it is it's still pretty fun. Helpful if you throw a few bucks into it and just trick out your favorite classes/vehicles and stick to them.
>>
MMOs are still stuck in the hotkey and tab targeting era so even the best PVP will still be objectively bad.
>>
File: waifu wars.jpg (338 KB, 600x449) Image search: [Google]
waifu wars.jpg
338 KB, 600x449
>>330995452
Changes in mmo mentality, basically. If it was still popular today players would be trading wins between realms so "no one gets left behind" or some similar bullshit. You already saw that towards the end of Warhammer Online's lifespan, although that was more due to players knowing game was going to die anyway. I wonder if Camelot Unchained is going to suck horribly.
>>
>>330995305
depends on the chronicle sadly,i like GF the best and over there daggers are gods

but the most poppular aare HF servers and they are mage/gladiator/tyrant ground untill the mages pop anakim scroll for antharas/valakas/siege and than its GG

and the paid c1 servers are like the original c1 server - theme park for archers
>>
Guild Wars
>>
>>330995691
>Those races

They really know how to not make anything interesting.
>>
Dark Souls
>>
>>330995529
>he wants a DaS gameplay in MMO

lmao
>>
>fucking lineage grindan shitters think they are above the wow babbies
Holy fuck this board, I wish I could kill you all to death.
>>
Big scale: Black desert Online
Medium scale: Warhammer online
Small scale: Final Fantasy XIV
>>
>>330995105
this made me quit eso. How can anyone play MMO's with only 5-10 abilities total. You master your character in 5 minutes. They have to be for literal MMO virgins there's no other explanation.
>>
>>330995928
Everquest and Lineage are two different schools of MMORPG game design. WoW simply came from Everquest and took the entire genre like a storm. Lineage is still kicking ass in Korea and is basically their own WoW over there.
>>
No MMO does large scale PvP right because it ALWAYS turns into spam AoEs. Small scale probably Guild Wars.
>>
Dragon Nest
Its a shame everything else about the game is shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DinGysCeIM
>>
>>330995981
The thread is for best PvP not worst anon.
>>
>>330993952

There's a WO private server Return of Reckoning that's actually pretty populated that's always got a good 600+ people on it. I haven't tried it yet though.
>>
>>330992652
Guild Wars 1
You never said it had to be current
>>
>>330992836
I love Shadowbane. So much so I devote my spare time to supervising an emulator for the game. But it's PvP was shaky in balance at best.
>>
>>330995691
while I appreciate the fact they're focusing wholly on pvp absolutely no pve at launch is a bad idea if you actually want to get some money and keep developing the game. maybe history will repeat itself and mmorpg genre will once again thrive on specific audience funding their games, but I don't see it happening so soon when your mainstream casuals bring in the big bucks.
>>
Old WoW had great PvP once you actually invest time in improving, many of the titles mentioned in this thread are simply cool game modes or zones but for a game to have good pvp it needs to have a very high skill ceiling.

In most of the games listed in this thread there isn't a big difference between a good and great player and hardly any difference at all between a great and some godlike players who do everything perfectly.

I don't think it's worth time investing in a MMO for PvP if all you get is fun moments but hardly any real challenges and ways to improve and master your class. Managing multiple opponents at once for instance can be as simple as damaging one at a time with decent movement or much more involved like wow where you have to switch targets often and make sure to interrupt casts, use crowd control and outsmart your opponent.
>>
>>330992832
>Good WoW PvP
>Arena

Kill yourself
>>
>>330996115
Honestly AMMORPGs are so restricting of movement that they could never be one of the best MMO PvP games.

It really limits good players in what is possible, lowering the skill ceiling by a large margin.
>>
>>330996274
The balance was perfectly fine in big scale because everyone ran the same shit, it was just boring. Small scale was rock paper scissors but there were so many shitters it was still fun to run around solo/duo rolling groups.
I remember running unbuffed when conc pots came in because the chinese were so bad they still died to my low con vamp scout.
Gimp builds were just too much fun to run.
They should've never removed blue dots and /tar.
>>
>dat feel when both games you liked were run by complete fucking amateurs who ran them into the ground

Mortal Online and Darkfall, I miss you both. You may still exist but you're already dead.
>>
>>330996840
Never played that game but I agree gimped builds are very fun especially when you get really good at the game and start doing 1v2, 1v3 and 1v4. I remember re-rolling to the the non-gimped spec in wow and realizing how retarded OP it was I could no longer have fun with the game and immediately went back to my gimped spec that almost no one used.
>>
Anything that's not gear based
>>
>>330994880
>>330995105
Wow only 5-10 abilities? I have over 70 keybinds in vanilla wow and feel like I need more. (Downranking spells, macros with modifiers, equipment binds etc)

With only that many abilities It sounds extremely mindless.
>>
>>330997101
The customization in Shadowbane really helped with fun builds, it's something I miss from most MMOs.
>>
>>330997520
They've gone full no fun allowed mode, anything even slightly situational is gone
>>
>>330997306
Just because a game has a gear advantage doesn't mean it's bad I'm really sick of this stupid meme. Don't you know the joys of beating players in the best equipment naked? or wearing purely cosmetic items just to spite your enemy?

What about the fact that having gear upgrades helps keep the game alive? I agree the advantage should be fairly modest but there does need to be a reward that grants players small advantages in PvP.

I think the only time gear shouldn't have any affect on stats is for purely ranked matches.
>>
>>330995056
Yeah it is pretty balanced and is more like a moba.. I think it's pretty fun.
>>
>>330992652
For me was Lineage 2 C5 (before the cancerous updates)
>>
>>330997609
Yeah it is always fun to experiment with builds I hate how some MMOs discourage this with respec costs and requiring different stats for different builds meaning you have to keep multiple sets and/or grind for new sets. On average I would change my skills around in various MMOs every few days just to try and find what works well for me or is fun. As you said before I think playing gimped specs adds to the fun and challenge of the game. While everyone was seeking the best items and spec I was purposefully using the worst items and fun specs despite having amazing armor in my bags.

I really hated when WoW added the ability to inspect players talent trees it made people judge you for experimenting and not playing the cookie cutter spec. As well as not being able to keep your build a secret from other players ruined some of my experiences with the game.
>>
>>330996840
The balance was fucked on a fundamental level. You have a broken defense system, a bane system that actively encouraged multiboxing, a stun system that existed to negate itself by stunning yourself to stay immune, half of the classes didn't see GvG play, and you had fights that boiled down to resist and debuff stacking. Again I loved the game but it was the poster child for missed potential.
>>
Aion and blade n soul but bns has literally no group play.

Aion GvG is god tier.
>>
>>330998797
You will NEVER have balance with the diversity Shadowbane had. The best you can hope for is what we had, people playing the same spec at a higher level than their opponents.
>>
Small scale: guild wars 1
big scale: old school WoW (vanilla AV and world pvp)
why the fuck is this so good: castle wars in runescape
>>
>>330998383
>>330997609
Shadowbane is the pioneer in character customization. I dont think any other mmo or even game came near to what you could do to a class. Hell even classes were awesome. A thief was, literally a fucking thief. Can you steal from other players inventory in any other mmo?

Goddamn I love this game. It was honestly quite balanced when you look at how big the game actually was. So many races/classes/runes and shit. Loved the free pvp
>>
>>330992652
You posted it. Private server going strong, T4 is imminent.
>>
File: 1417205095537.png (24 KB, 687x696) Image search: [Google]
1417205095537.png
24 KB, 687x696
>>330999252
>Can you steal from other players inventory in any other mmo?
Of course not, goyim. Wouldn't want them getting so buttblasted over it they may quit and stop spending their shekels on the game
>>
>>330995981
>BDO
>PVP
Yeah like no one ever does pvp, the karma system is a bitch, and doesn't give you any reward from it.

Sure you can nitpick some youtube pro MLG faggot who spent a year grinding for the most uber gear, but watch any stream no one is pvping, they're all grinding mobs or running form town to town.
>>
>>330999479
The drama it sometimes caused was often like that though. You just had to be at the right place at the right time to catch some guild leader transferring stuff.
>>
>>330999594
Shadowbane is one of those games that felt great to play but I can't really get into anymore, did try the emu server and all

I guess that sort of shit applied to a bigger community was what made it fun
>>
>>330999381

I haven't played in a very long time, when I did it was borderline unplayable, combat and quests were barely functional.

Is it better now? How active are the zones? Is it all concentrated at the top or do the T1 zones have people too? How's the Order/Destro balance?
>>
>mfw all these people bashing eso who haven't even played it
If you've never played it then please don't complain about it, you're outing yourself as an idiot when you don't know what you're talking about
>>
For 1v1 PvP, Blade & Soul
For group PvP, the original Guild Wars
>>
>>330999856
Yeah, I played sbemu around the time it launched but it just feels dead.
I have high hopes for Crowfall but the WASD shit scares me. I prefer oldschool controls.
>>
>>330999879
It feels great. Level cap is at 35, RR40. T3 RvR is all the rage these days as one side gets wiped the other becomes dominant since there are no penalties for xrealming. There is talk on the forums of the coming of T4 but before that there is one issue they need to solve, namely the servers. They need to be upgraded because around 200+ people in one zone spamming abilities equals huge pings and lag.

Still the best MMO I've played though.
>>
>>330992652
EVE
>>
WoW has Pokemon battles.

Just sayin'
>>
>>330998897
No you won''t ever have perfect balance but surely you can aspire to have more than 3-4 of the 9 available races, 20-25% of the classes, and a 7-8 of the nearly 30 discs be useful. Groundhog's day with mino meat killed the game far quicker than server stability or SBG pulling the plug.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlkhn0YhUO4

The ost in shadowbane was dreadful.
Not because its bad but because it fits so fucking well with that helpless feel that youre going to get fucked every second. I loved that.
Fit the being utterly horror/helpless theme really good
>>
>>331001619
You really can't, the more you have the shittier it will be. There is nothing you can do, there will always be an optimal route to take.
>>
>>331001619
I loved my unique ierikei or whatever they were called nighstalkers with sundancer rune. That holy proc and still good meele damage combined with that dot heal and brilliant dodge rating.
Sadly you could not kill anyone when they ran away. Absolutely no movement slow skill
Goddamn I loved the fact that there were "unique" weapons that you could only use after beating a certain mob and using its rune to learn new masteries, skills and access to weapons
>>
>>330995170
This, so much. Too bad most of /v/ is too young to have enjoyed UO
>>
>>330999252
>can you steal from people in any other game?
Ultima Online. You could say Shadowbane got it from UO
>>
>>331003076
Nice. How did it work there? Was it also a class or could anyone do it.
Open up their inventories checking it and stealing one by one?
>>
>>331000010
2 of my friends are contemplating of buying it for casual play, they are both big Elder Scrolls fans, not even skyrim babies, while my 3hrd friend and I already have it, but we only played it till level 10, before Tamriel unlimited.

Is it really any good later on and have things changed for the better overall, its only like 15 dollars on g2a so its not a big deal, but money is money, and could use some insight.

The game is too hated on /v/ and I dont know many people that played as of late?
>>
>>330992652
>mmo pvp
>balanced & fun

Compilation error
>>
>>331002062
Optimal paths happen. Paths that invalidate the overwhelming majority of character customization is just flat out not trying.

The SB playerbase seemed to fall into a cycle of not wanting the meta to change because they were so comfortable with it and thus continued to support the broken balance. Games with substantially more customization than SB managed to create a meta with more than a fraction of builds were useful. I don't believe it's not possible. In fact, past iterations of SB have shown it to be possible.
>>
File: maxresdefault1.jpg (192 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault1.jpg
192 KB, 1600x900
Dungeon Fighter Online has the most skill-based 1v1 arena PvP of all time

Prove me wrong
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.