[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went so horribly wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
What went so horribly wrong?
>>
>>330977042

>What is the Dreamcast
>>
>>330977042
They announced the Dreamcast too soon
>>
>>330977042
Wasting money on unprofitable projects. Pissing off fans and third parties with too much hardware releases in a short time span.
Also, the fall of the Arcade market, which was SEGA's biggest source of profits.
>>
Everything after the Genesis was mismanaged, which is a shame because the Saturn and Dreamcast are tits.
>>
Sega pissed off third party developers, shelved a console too soon and the Dreamcast got mopped up by better competition.
>>
Making stupid and shit console peripherals that nobody wanted, then releasing an inferior console to the playstation, not having a good handheld to compete with Nintendo in that market. Etc etc

They did almost everything right with the dreamcast, but they couldn't get the 3rd party support and they bailed on it too soon. There was so much untapped potential.
>>
>>330977042
See that Dip? That's when Shenmue happened.
>>
>>330977042
Pissed on their western branch during the genesis boom
Arcades died
Retarded mismanagement from the top which lead to a series of retarded addons
The ridiculouslness of releasing the 600 dollar nigh impossible to program saturn with not a single moments notice which just pissed off EVERYONE you can name
Then finally hiring the guy who served them up to microsoft on a plate during the surprisingly successful dreamcast era and sony paying people not to publish games for it, and retailers to fuck with the product

The ceo of the company offed himself because of how badly sega shat the bed didn't he?
>>
Miku saved sega
>>
>>330977482
Considering the PS2 was running off lies and marketing itself as a movie player SEGA was right to bail. Nintendo somehow survived because back then they still cared about multiplats.
>>
>>330977482
A healthier company could have weathered the storm with the dreamcast, but they were already on thin ice as the graph shows. Wii U is more of a failure than Dreamcast but Nintendo are still trucking.
>>
>>330977575
>sony paying people not to publish games for it,
For real? I can totally see Sony doing something like that, honestly.
>>
>>330977667
Because Nintendo is not losing money thanks to the 3DS,also Sega pissed of a lot of investors back in the Saturn days.
>>
>>330977042
>Sega's annual net income (Loss)
>(Loss)
I don't understand, so isn't it a good thing to have a negative amount of loss?
>>
>>330977880
That graph shows net Income OR net Loss
>>
>>330977970
That's a really shitty way to go around it. Why not the forward slash instead?
>>
>>330977667
>Wii U is more of a failure than Dreamcast but Nintendo are still trucking.
Actually the Wii U surpassed Dreamcast sales numbers last year.
>>
>>330977042
3rd party, and people here unironically think Nintendo should do the same because it'd be profitable.
>>
>>330978331
The videogame industry has more people buying consoles now than ever though.
>>
>>330977096
I don't know, but it wasn't around in 1997.

>What is the Saturn

ftfy
>>
>>330978438
The Saturn was still selling well in Japan and had a decent market in the rest of the world,its when they announced the Dreamcast that sales plummeted.
>>
>>330977042
Golden age for the PSX
>>
>>330978331
yeah, compared to the competition, Dreamcast wasn't doing too bad, but Sega were already on the brink when they launched it.
Whereas Nintendo were rolling in money when they launched Wii U, which is selling a fraction of the competition.
>>
>>330978415
Then why the PS4 struggles to reach PS2 levels of yearly sales?
>>
>>330978946
Because the PS4 doesn't own 80% of the market like the PS2 did for many years?
>>
>>330979001
But doesn't the industry have more people buying consoles now than ever? Or maybe it's not true.
>>
>>330978946
The PS4 is selling way faster than the ps2 you fucking niggoh.
>>
Sega's annual net income lol more like anal income because that's how they'll be making their income in a couple more years.
>>
>>330978946
>PS4
Nov 2013 - Jan 2016, 36 million units

>PS2
Mar 2000 - May 2002, 30 million units

PS4 is selling faster than PS2 so far.
>>
The development of Sonic Xtreme, the horrible Sega Saturn lost all Genesis's marketshare to the PlayStation, the end of the golden age of arcades, literally everything went wrong
>>
>>330979127
They do, it's just that Microsoft have a larger market for consoles than they used to back in the original Xbox days.
>>
>>330978415
That was true LAST GEN but not now.
I'll be surprised if all current gen consoles = 100million combined.
That's not even mentioning the game drought going on.
>>
>>330979969
Maybe because consoles are fucking expensive now?
>>
>>330977042
Sega had a hard life

>In the Genesis days, EA cracked their console and threatened to release unlicensed carts that would bypass the console's security if Sega required publishers to license their games like Nintendo did
>Sega of America's CEO going full retard and doing everything he could to kill the Saturn, like releasing it way too early and refusing to release all the popular games in the US
>Sony's anti-competitive practices in the Dreamcast era that was almost certainly criminal
>Corporate espionage and sabotage by Microsoft
>The merger with the Yakuza front that is Sammy that pushed Sega into stupider and stupider deals for money
>>
>>330980507
A lot of their misfortunes are their own doing though.
>>
>>330980507
>Corporate espionage and sabotage by Microsoft
Any more on this? I know Microsoft partnered up with Sega for the Dreamcast and tried to push for DC compatibility with the Xbox, but this is news to me.
>>
File: Peter_Moore_at_Xbox_Cup_2006.jpg (431 KB, 1060x1056) Image search: [Google]
Peter_Moore_at_Xbox_Cup_2006.jpg
431 KB, 1060x1056
>>330981894
The guy who was the head of Sega of America at the time made a bunch of deals with Microsoft, quit, and immediately got a job at Microsoft.

That man was Peter Moore.
>>
>>330983023
Not entirely dissimilar to what they did with Nokia
>>
>>330977042
They started releasing shit hardware, like the 32X and Saturn.
>>
I'd rather have a gaming company, like Sega, competing with Nintendo than non-gaming companies, like Sony and Microsoft.
>>
>>330978535
Saturn choked Sega in the rest of the world, but could have sold vaguely okay with actual software support (look up the US Saturn release list, it's depressing as hell).
It sold okay in Japan.

The DC's biggest issue was that the PS2 was coming out and Sony was pretty much generating crazy hype around it, causing people to wait (particularly after the initial early DC sales success).
>>
>>330989984
It looks like PAL got almost nothing. I thought Europeans liked Sega?
>>
File: image.jpg (182 KB, 1855x1180) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
182 KB, 1855x1180
>>
>>330977635
Nintendo has never cared about multiplats. The Gamecube just had tons of good exclusives.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.