[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why there been a single good JRPG since Final Fantasy 8 that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
Why there been a single good JRPG since Final Fantasy 8 that wasn't completely comprised of bug-eyed anime girls or hallways?
>>
>>330902485
There has never been a good JRPG period. Doesn't matter if you look before or after FF8 they have always been mindless anime garbage weather they had an anime artsyle and hallways or not. FF8 being one of the worst.
>>
Try playing some actual good games for a change.
>>
>>330902485
FFXII
>>
Sword of Mana
>>
File: Final Fantasy Rising.webm (3 MB, 712x400) Image search: [Google]
Final Fantasy Rising.webm
3 MB, 712x400
We're coming.
>>
>>330902965
FFXII got away because Ivalice is just that good. If it wasn't set on Ivalice, it would be another FFXIII
>>
>>330903136
I know Final Fantasy usually mixes it up every game, but I hate how hard they're trying to distance themselves from traditional RPGs.

At least we'll always have Dragon Quest.
>>
>>330902485
All Final Fantasy games are good.
>>
>>330903370
Just be thankful they aren't making a movie pretending to be a game this time.
>>
>>330903452
8 is the best, but most of them are good.
Except for 9 which is utter shit.
>>
File: Ff2_logo.png (89 KB, 640x264) Image search: [Google]
Ff2_logo.png
89 KB, 640x264
>>330903452
Yeah, right.
>>
File: SmO61Td.jpg (52 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
SmO61Td.jpg
52 KB, 900x600
>>330902754
Here's your (You)
>>330902485
FF8 wasn't a good JRPG, that's coming from someone who loved it as a kid. The junction system is one of the most broken systems I've encountered in any RPG. So broken in fact that you can achieve end game strength within the first few minutes of the game by winning a card off an npc. Not to mention the level scaling completely demotivates anyone who knows it's there from killing enemies which is a crucial part of the gameplay in rpgs. Instead people can just go through the game killing nothing but bosses who are severely under leveled. Not to mention the story is honestly one of the worst I've seen in the FF franchise, which is saying something. Everything after disc 1 was complete garbage.

Also Squalls dead yadda yadda dank memes.
>>
>>330903615
Still more fun than 90% of RPGs from that era.
>>
>>330903615

FF2 is good once you know how the game mechanics actually fucking work.
>>
>>330903705
That doesn't make it good.
>>
>>330903615
It was good for its time.

>>330903164
>game designed to be open and huge
>if it wasn't set on Ivalice, it would be another corridor simulator
What?
>>
>>330903615
This 2 is bad meme needs to stop

Every port of 2 that relies on the PSX version from FF Origins has been fine. It's not a stellar RPG but it is good and very much playable.
>>
>>330903370
Butthurt turnbasedfag detected, opinion discarded.
>>
>>330903619
>The junction system is one of the most broken systems I've encountered in any RPG. So broken in fact that you can achieve end game strength within the first few minutes of the game by winning a card off an npc.

That's a good thing though. I'd rather have the option of steamrolling everything from the get go than having to grind just to beat a single boss.

>Not to mention the story is honestly one of the worst I've seen in the FF franchise, which is saying something.

Okay this I can agree with. Not to mention the MC is the most unlikable crybaby faggot in the whole franchise, and believe me, that's not a statement one can take lightly.
>>
>>330903370
That's FF for you, though. The very first FF tried to distance itself from the RPGs of its era as well and got a new vertical party view, time loops and mechas.
>>
>>330902485
FFX
Lost Odyssey

I know this is a troll thread, and hur dur FFX HALLWAYS XDXDXDXDXDXD, but here's you answer your trolling loser faggot fuck
>>
File: worst potatomancer.png (3 MB, 1532x1079) Image search: [Google]
worst potatomancer.png
3 MB, 1532x1079
>>330902965
>>330903164
>FFXIV used an AU version of FFXI instead of Ivalice for its setting

Unforgivable
>>
>>330904146
>wasting Ivalice on a MMO
Nah.
>>
>>330904227
>Not wanting Ivalice Moogles, Viera, and Bangaa in your raid group

Shut the fuck up you fucking faggot only shit senpai how are you even this much a baka kill you're self
>>
>>330902485
FF8 is pure trash for different reasons.
>>
File: 12311311.gif (2 MB, 416x320) Image search: [Google]
12311311.gif
2 MB, 416x320
>>330904007
>That's a good thing though. I'd rather have the option of steamrolling everything from the get go than having to grind just to beat a single boss.

Those are both terrible.
Are there any JRPGs that are both difficult and don't allow for level grinding? Are levels in the traditional sense even a necessary part of RPGs?
>>
>>330904007
>Squall was a cry baby

At least the motherfucker had depth. Being in his head the entire time, and reading his asides and train of thought really adds to his character. A bit over dramatic, yes, but he has to deal with fucked up situations, one after another. He gets nearly killed, thrown in prison, then tortured, then has to somehow find a way to stop intercontinental ballistic missiles from killing everyone at his school. He's a fucking 17 year old, and he has to deal with a mountain of bullshit. God forbid he ruminate on it a little.
>>
>>330904416
The only one I can think of is the SaGa series, which doesn't have "levels" but instead a natural growth progression system.
>>
>>330904007
>That's a good thing though. I'd rather have the option of steamrolling everything from the get go than having to grind just to beat a single boss

I agree that grinding can be one of the worst aspects in RPGs if done incorrectly. A good rpg would keep a steady pace in difficulty and offer side quests to avoid mindless grinding if possible. My point being FF has no excuse for having a broken system when it's possible to pace a game correctly completely avoiding tedious hour long grind sessions.
>>
>>330904561
But he gets over it when some annoying bimbo invades his personal space and needs to be rescued more often than Princess fucking Peach. Suddenly he's no longer afraid of suffering the pain of loss again.
>>
>>330904416
There should be a system that caps your level for each arc or chapter of the game to keep it difficult. Like... Once you hit level 15 in chapter one, that's it until chapter 2 when you can hit level 30, etc.

Difficult games are hard to find these days. Such a bummer
>>
>>330904328
Ivalice moogles look like shit. The only thing that would make me switch race from a highlander would be playable bangaa though.
>>
>>330904829
But then you'd be watching tedious hour long cutscenes instead.
>>
>>330904561
That too. If we only got his spoken dialogue like with most RPG protags everybody would be complaining that he's a borderline emotionless machine. Dude had to deal with a ton of awful shit, but he shut up and did his job.
>>
>>330905061
>Ivalice moogles look like shit

Hey, what's this opinion doing out of the trash can? Here, I'll help you clean up, but keep your shit where it's supposed to be in the future, okay?
>>
>>330905061
>hating on best moogles
Animal-looking moogles >>>>> stuffed toy moogles.
>>
>>330905097
Why would that be the case? If the story, combat, and characters are interesting enough it shouldn't be a problem. Are you against additional content?
>>
>>330905272
That's a pretty big "if" anon.
>>
>>330905260
Ivalice moogles look like stuffed toys too. XIV has the best moogles.
>>
>>330905390
Only because the current standard for RPGs is severely low. Is it highly improbably? Sure, but it isn't impossible.
>>
>>330904416
Vagrant Story kind of did this, if I'm not mistaken. I believe you only leveled up after killing a boss.

>>330905061
>The only thing that would make me switch race from a highlander would be playable bangaa though.
Highly agree, but it's a shame that'll never happen since all of the armor need to be pretty interchangeable to keep development costs low. I could see Viera working, although people will have to deal with their ears clipping through their hats, hoods, and helmets.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.