[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was TLOU as pretentious as Bioshock Infinite?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
Was TLOU as pretentious as Bioshock Infinite?
>>
>>330862912
No, but it was worse
>>
they were both good games desu
>>
MY FUCKING NECK
IT HURTS
IT'S RED AS FUCK
FUCKING SHAVE
ARRGH
>>
I honestly didn't like the last of us
>>
>>330862912
not even close, but its fanbase was.
>>
>>330862912
Not even slightly.
>>
>>330862912
It hard an underlying message but it told you directly so no, it's not pretentious it knew exactly what it was talking about.
>>
>>330862912
Not even close
>>
No, it had decent gameplay, fantastic presentation, a good story, some really good animation and VA work, and was immensely visually impressive given the hardware limitations. Seriously it probably pushed the PS3 to the absolute limit.

That said it's not a 10/10 game, it had a lot of flaws. It was a very good game, multiplayer was solid too. But the fanbase making it out to be the pinnacle of anything was really annoying. Definitely not as annoying as Infinitefags proclaiming it as high art or the greatest story ever told or whatever bullshit was circulating at launch.

As much as /v/ likes to rag on Matthewmatosis, he actually had a really solid critique of TLoU which point out a lot of its issues while also praising its strengths. It's got a very large amount of strengths as both a game and a narrative, even though it fails to make both a cohesive whole.

Infinite had virtually no high points beyond audio and visuals. Though TLoU is rather cinematic, it ironically had much more interesting and solid gameplay than Infinite did. Personally I consider Infinite a 5/10 game, bog standard average, and TLoU probably close to 8/10, if not a little less.
>>
>>330862912
No, it was just a sad drama movielike game.
>>
It was still overrated, but wasn't nearly as pretentious as Infinite.
>>
TLOU was in no way pretentious, what the fuck are you on OP

Also, why the comparsion they are both incredible different games
>>
>>330862912
no. Neither games issue was how pretentious they were though.

TLOU was a solid 7. Bioshock was more of a 4/10
>>
File: dlc.png (588 KB, 982x874) Image search: [Google]
dlc.png
588 KB, 982x874
I do think Naughty Dog tried to hide the fact that they were half-assedly shoving their Uncharted 1 engine into yet another game by making it look more palatable to bloggers and such who want their hobby validated as art. Hence the moody guitar plucking from a movie scorer, the focus on dramatic scenes and dialogue hallways, the fact that they cared so little about spicing up the gameplay that they reuse the same fucking dumpster/ladder/forklift pallet "puzzle" 3-4 times each.

It's not an outright terrible game by any means, it's easily better than Infinite, but it sure as shit isn't the godsent game of the generation like many people/sites claims.
>>
>>330862912
What games do you like so I can shit on them OP
>>
No, it didn't try to be 2deep4u at all. It was just a fun game (on Grounded).

>>330862972

lol gtfo
>>
>>330863728
It was pretentious, though. It had the pretense of being more than a generic zombie story, despite being completely by-the-numbers.
>>
File: 1394914330647.jpg (66 KB, 188x289) Image search: [Google]
1394914330647.jpg
66 KB, 188x289
>Introduce morally neutral character that you'll have to run up against because of conflicting interests and desperation born from the demands of winter
>Wait, no, fuck that we need the audience to always sympathize with Ellie, just make the bad guy a CRRRRAAZY pedo cannibal

David didn't deserve that shit.
>>
>>330864805
I found david very relatable because i also want to fuck the little girl
>>
File: Thank you based SFM.png (573 KB, 1020x286) Image search: [Google]
Thank you based SFM.png
573 KB, 1020x286
>>330864934
That was a funny couple of years we just had where non-Asian developers were riding the daughterfu train for all it was worth. With demographic of gamers today being 25-30 males either wanting kids eventually or just getting kids of their own, its no surprise that the gimmick was so successful.
>>
No, TLOU actually made sense
>>
>>330864805
Why am I not surprised? The fact that you have an anime reaction image immediately renders your opinions as invalid because you are of a sect of people who enjoy watching that fucking horrible disease of a form of entertainment. Do everyone a favor and hang yourself with a squid you foul-breathed weeaboo loving degenerate piece of shit. I am 96% sure that you currently reek of 2 weeks worth of masturbation sans showers. I cant even begin to imagine what your room would smell like. Open up a window you eye-lidless yellow squid swallower. Please don't open your mouth when you're around other human beings, not that you would ever leave you dungeon of semen-stained anime posters and "action figures".
>>
>>330862912
>the game tries to be good
>"it's pretentious! >:("
Consider suicide, not only you but everyone who used the word "pretentious" at least once to describe something.
>>
File: 1451048650115.png (389 KB, 847x639) Image search: [Google]
1451048650115.png
389 KB, 847x639
>>330862912
The Last of Us was made by passionate people who seem to really like what they do and want to innovate. Their works' accessibility probably led to it being praised much more than it deserved but you can't deny that there's merit there no matter how much you dislike the game.

Bioshock Infinite was shit and felt like an amateurish impression of what a smart game looks like.

TLoU = The Revenant
B:I = Snowpiercer
>>
>>330865505
I don't think that's the point.
TLOU has a pretty simple story, basically get from A to B, whereas Bioshocks Ending tries to be 'thoughtprovoking' why shoving in all this parralell universe bullshit that doesn't even make sense.
Not to mention the whole 'finally a smart game for smart gamers' when all it was was merely a below average shooter with some pretty nice art-direction.
>>
>pretentious
>attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.
>implying that doesn't apply to TLoU
>>
TLoU did not have a character talk about how clever the plot was in awestruck, breathless tones for 20 minutes at the end while basically treating the player/protagonist like a child who just doesn't get it yet, but will if their hand is held and walked through it, zipped from TWIST to TWIST.

TLoU was just a depressing drama.
>>
No, but its fanbase is.
>>
>>330862986
lolno

TLoU is a mediocre shooter with mediocre stealth and mediocre story, but Bioshock Infinite is straight up dogshit that plays like Call of Duty
>>
Does TLOU ever pick up? I'm about 2 hours in and it feels so fucking slow.
>>
>>330862912
game of the year
pretentious
are you ok anon?
>>
>>330867102
What are you playing on? Grounded can give you a couple of decent challenges.

As for actual pacing and such, it's more or less the same the whole way through, you'll just be navigating buildings working towards something on the horizon the whole way, encountering zombies and bandit dudes.
>>
>>330862912
Bioshock 2 was better than infinite for me
>>
>>330867383
I'm not talking about difficulty at all, I find sneaking around in a TPS fucking boring.
>>
>>330862912
I didn't think the last of us was anything special, and I really don't understand the praise it gets
>>
>>330867578
90% of encounters play out more or less the same, with dudes standing around with their backs turned to entry points with you entering unnoticed, choking a few, then maybe getting into a fight with the last couple.

There are slightly different zombies at one point that aren't the big setpiece boss ones but they're used so scarcely that they're barely noticeable.
>>
>>330862912
Nothing is as pretentious as Infinite

NOTHING!
>>
Am I the only one that experienced this?

>read note about different types of infected
>see stalker
>oh shit that's gonna be unnerving and cool I'll have to watch out
>beat the game
>realize I never had one fucking zombie sneak up on me
>realize I spent the entire game crouched trying to shiv clickers
>>
Eh, just your generic PS3 game, gameplay-wise, and the story and graphical quality was pretty good. The story wasn't particularly special, but was definitely better than 99% of the Western trash. I mean, the only Western games I can think of with better story are Red Dead, The Witchers, and maybe Half-Life and Elder Scrolls.

It's worth like $50, a solid 8/10 game. Definitely no where close to the 10/10s it got across the board.
>>
File: 1420510583488.jpg (14 KB, 216x240) Image search: [Google]
1420510583488.jpg
14 KB, 216x240
>>330864584

>EIGHT DOLLARS FOR HATS.
>>
How in the fuck is TLoU pretentious?

I mean, the only way BI is pretentious it's it's really two-dimensional portrayal of racism, and terrible handling of multi-universes.
>>
>>330867102
Oh it does, trust me. The first two hours are really slow and scripted compared to the rest of the game
>>
>>330868204
The rest of the game is still slow and scripted.
>>
>>330867578
>I find sneaking around in a TPS fucking boring

Then play it on grounded, because it makes it a hundred times more intense.
>>
>>330868143
I don't think that The Last of Us is particularly pretentious, but many of its fans most certainly are. Naughty Dog didn't go calling themselves creators of a masterpiece, champions of the medium, or the great artists of our times, their retarded PS3 loyalist fans did.

They made a grimdark story about people trying to cross America after zombies and shit tore it apart. All the observations about commentary on the human condition and new levels of storytelling genius came after the fact and was 90% people who needed to justify their jobs with fancy words they don't understand or people who love their playstations more than their family members.
>>
File: 1454456768410.png (39 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1454456768410.png
39 KB, 321x322
>>330865074
>filename
>>
>>330868313
>but many of its fans most certainly are

You'll get no argument from me there. I've seen them post here in defense of the game.
>>
>>330868249
It's still scripted yeah, but not as much. I found the first hours to have really not enough good gameplay. It was just walking and listening to the story.

But you can't say it doesn't pick up after that.
>>
>>330862912

Both were great games sorry OP
>>
Man, this game was a lot better with the hearing vision disabled

Shut that shit the fuck off and combat suddenly became 5x more tense
>>
>>330862912

> Pretentious

I did a philosophy degree so am always on the look out for puddle deep attempts at being thought-provoking: things are usually baseline existentialism or utilitarian heartbreaks.

But TLOU was surprisingly mature: the believable main character, the lack of progress as he makes a selfish choice at the end becoming the same person he was after sarah died, the evaluation of what matters - being other people or those you care about etc etc

I would only fault it on weakening its world a bit with slightly obnoxious SJW elements: just the fact that every decent, powerful leader was female seemed out of place and the main male enemy was a paedophilic rapist.
>>
>>330866453

I didnt know what the fuck was going on by the end of infinite, all the different universes jumped across lost me - so i didnt mind the explanation.
>>
>>330868994
>I did a philosophy degree
Should've minored in English
>>
Naughty Dog never claims to be deep, their games are skin-deep roller coaster rides with very well acted and animated but simple characters, and a mashup of modern shooting tropes for gameplay.

Nothing mind blowing, but always worth playing, especially a year or so after they come out and you can get them for next to nothing.
>>
>>330862912
>dat fucking ellie part
almost made me quit this game
>>
>>330869165

> Writing on 4chan on my phone

Trying to impress with english would've been the most pretentious part of this thread
>>
File: 1457968347464.gif (1 MB, 268x278) Image search: [Google]
1457968347464.gif
1 MB, 268x278
>>330862912
No
>>
>>330868043
naughty dog are complete jews when it comes to DLC
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.