[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just bought this at my local thrift store for $4 what am I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: Legacy of Ys.jpg (197 KB, 1000x896) Image search: [Google]
Legacy of Ys.jpg
197 KB, 1000x896
I just bought this at my local thrift store for $4
what am I in for?

side question: how do you pronounce Ys?
>>
>>330765246

Geese minus the 'g'

good find, OP
>>
>>330765246
like is
>>
I say why's Because I'm not a pretentious fuck Lord.
>>
Shitty versions of some pretty great games.

Ease
>>
>>330765402

There's pretentious and there's just being retarded
>>
>>330765402
(You)
>>
>>330765403
Steam versions any better?
>>
>>330765706
Much better.
>>
Bumper Cars

wumbo
>>
>>330765246
Like eyes
>>
It's amazing how many Japanese game names are fucking retarded. Ys, Melty Blood, Dragon Dragoon, Theatrhythm, BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, Bravely Default etc. They love their meaningless empty phrases and weird puns that don't really scan in native English
>>
>>330765906
I like how you list Ys, which is just a fantasy name, and then list a bunch of Engrish nonsense together with it.
>>
>>330765906
Ys is a legendary city of french origin that you literally visit in the games, what is empty or meaningless about that?
>>
>>330766075
>>330766121
Yes, it's the real name of an obscure French town. As a title, it's hard to pronounce and essentially meaningless. It was invariably chosen because they thought it looks and sounds cool and English-like.

There would never be a Western game with a title as weird, basically meaningless and obscure as Ys (PROVE ME WRONG).
>>
>>330765246
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ys
>>
>>330765246
Two good games and not a best of ports. If you can, get the PSP one or, if you're not into plastic boxes, get the Steam release.
>>
>>330766342
>it's hard to pronounce
Seriously, nigger? That's your argument?
>There would never be a Western game with a title as weird, basically meaningless and obscure as Ys (PROVE ME WRONG).
http://store.steampowered.com/app/397830/
>>
>>330766342
>it's hard to pronounce
americans everybody
>>
>>330766342
It's not even a real town, it's a legendary city like Atlantis or El Dorado. What's fucking meaningless about it? If a game where the whole point of getting to Atlantis was called Atlantis, would that be a dumb, meaningless title? You sound like an idiot.
>>
Google.
>>
>>330765859
The stupid DS ports aren't even bumper cars.
>>
>>330766914
They are if you use the touch-screen.
>playing with the touch-screen
OH GOD WHY
>>
>>330765246
If you want to play Ys 1 and 2 buy the steam version, the DS port is dog shit.
>>
>>330766774
kek I'm not American

>>330766679
>an indie literally who
yeah, gj
>>
>>330767115
>There would never be a western game
>here's one
>B-But it's an indie game, that makes it not count because I say so
Okay.
>>
>>330767353
Christ, do you always act like people are always being completely literal or are you literally autistic? You can basically "prove" anything by finding some one-man literally who indie meme shit on Steam, but there's clearly a difference between that and high profile Japanese devs doing it constantly.
>>
>>330767607
>Falcom
>High profile
>>
>>330767735
Relative to whoever the fuck ZX Digital are, definitely.
>>
Any Ark of Napishtim fans here? I know the gameplay is rather limited compared to future games like Oath in Felghana and Origin, but there's just something great about the sense of exploration in that game, which Felghana nor Origin never managed to achieve.
>>
>>330768408
I greatly dislike Napishtim compared to the others. It's grindy as fuck and poorly balanced.
>>
The opening narration pronounces the name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpqiVA8pXw4&t=62
>>
>>330768408
I would've loved the exploration if I didn't have to keep on going back just to grind. You know the balancing is poor because often, one level is all it takes to make a difference on whether a boss is super hard or very doable
>>
>>330768408
I really like Napishtim, but that's because I played it on release while also having played the rest of the series and can put it into perspective. It still has one of the best soundtracks in the entire series and I love its atmosphere and the gameplay isn't horrible the way Ys V's was.
>>
File: Untitled.png (280 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
280 KB, 1920x1080
This is the only Ys I own, its been on my backlog since 2015 summer sale, what am I in for?
>>
File: ys what i played.jpg (614 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
ys what i played.jpg
614 KB, 800x1000
>>330769442
More of Oath in Felghana but only slightly worse. Worse dungeon design, more unskippable plot, more consistent boss quality, and more replayability because you have multiple characters to choose from.
>>
>>330769706
>More of Oath in Felghana but only slightly worse
Senpai I just said this is the only Ys game I have ever owned.
>>
>>330769961
Look at the image, it's not an exaggeration.
>>
>>330765246
Ys is a wonderful series, but this is easily the worst port of any of them. It's total garbage.
>>
>>330770206
What are the best versions of the various Ys games now?
>>
>>330770431
Ys 1 and 2: Complete with the PCE sound patch.
Ys 3: PCE.
Ys 4: PCE. SNES game isn't the same thing but it's also a fucking terrible game.
Ys 5: SNES Expert version.
Ys 6: PC.
Oath: PC, voice acting isn't enough to make up for being easier and running worse than the PC version.
>>
>>330770431
All the Steam versions.
7 is only on the PSP, and Celceta is a remake of the two versions of 4 and is only on the Vita.
5 has a better version on the PS2 but only the SNES version is translated.
>>
>>330765246
Eee's
And the worst version of those games. Still playable I guess
>>
>>330770431
1&2: Complete (Steam)
3: Oath in Felghana (Steam, PSP)
4: Memories of Celceta (Vita)
5: SNES, JP only
6: Steam
7: PSP only

Some people don't like the bump combat of Ys 1 and 2. If you don't, none of the other games use them, except original 4, which isn't canon anymore, and was replaced with Memories of Celceta.
>>
>>330769442

A goddamn good game. Action RPG with some tough as fuck bosses. 3 characters who have very different stories. They (sometimes) fight different bosses and play very different to each other. To understand the whole plot, you'll have to play Ys I & II afterwards, but that is going to be a very different game (bumper cars).
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.