[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't understand why this game gets hated on so much,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: skyward sword.jpg (285 KB, 1000x1416) Image search: [Google]
skyward sword.jpg
285 KB, 1000x1416
I don't understand why this game gets hated on so much, what exactly was wrong with it? The Imprisoned fight x3 wasn't great but I thought everything else was pretty solid.
>>
>zelda
that's wrong, people is growing up and realizing that this franchise always was trash
>>
>>330692825
They mostly say it's because it's too linear. Same reason why everyone hates FFXIII.
>>
I only played some of it because I didn't have a wii. My gf at the time was a huge zelda nerd but sucked at vidya, so I'd have to go over to do the hard parts for her.

From experience, my absolute least favourite thing about it was the fucking sci-fi elements. The time-travelling robots, and the fact that your sword was an actual computer who calculated odds like she was C3PO's temp. It was meant to be an absolute prequel detailing the origins of the Master Sword and they somehow managed to make the Master Sword lame. By making it a robot.

The flying was bland and it didn't feel like there was an actual overworld.

Controlling the game was kind of a hassle. It didn't ruin the game, but it was another issue to deal with during fights. If it had a normal controller, the combat would have been trivial.

Aside from that... everything's just forgettable. I could probably rattle off a list of the dungeons and bosses in OoT and WW, and a bunch of them from TP, but could only tell you a single fucking one from SS, that giant squid thing with one eye, because that was a genuinely interesting setting for a boss, beside the fact that is was retarded desert sailing or something.
>>
>>330692825
i couldn't finish it cause of fi shes the worst thing to happen to zelda
>>
>>330692825
Ive been on /v/ since early 2012, i stopped coming here late 2015 because i realized that i only enjoy games that are older than 10 years. With that being said, in those years ive been here, this thread has been popping up once or twice a week like clockwork. Which means in the past 4 years, we have had this thread for more than 300 times by now.
>>
Forced waggle.

I instantly don't care about it.

I don't care how well it responds, I don't care how easy it is to play with waggle, I don't care about the gameplay, I don't care about supposed 1 to 1 sword fighting in a fucking Zelda game, I don't care about the items or what they do, I don't care how it looks, I don't care how it sounds.

It's garbage because they forced waggle.

You can play it all you want, enjoy it and have fun. Have a nice day.
>>
I thought I bought and paid for a Zelda game, not a Korean MMO.

Seriously, going back to the forest and it was flooded and HEY LINK COLLECT ALL THIS SHIT... yeah no.
>>
>>330694583
>how to extend the game length with cheap tricks

Fucking hell. Skyward sword was so bad, it's not even funny. I can count the great moments in one fucking hand.
>>
>>330694583
it's pretty obvious how much repeated content was used to pad out the dinky little memory capacity, especially now that we're not blown away by the six-polygon character models
>>
It was great. /v/ just hates things that are focused on a narrative and character because their mindset is "muh gameplay over story" for some reason.
>>
>No way to get to areas of the overworld quickly from the sky despite warp statues everywhere so you have to spend the three to five minutes flying over to their portal before you can enter the area you want to be in.
>Have to fly to the Thunderhead three times which means spending the three to five minutes getting to it and then another two or three getting to the platform to get Fi to dance again.
>Flying requires you to waggle your little heart out just to keep flying.
>Absolutely nothing to do in the actual sky but collect Goddess Chests that almost always have nothing worth grabbing, and some side quests for a handful of Gratitude Crystals.
>Upgrade system was okay, except when it came to potions where rare items were used to give you a whole three sips of a potion instead of the 1 with slightly stronger effects.
>Motion controls always needed to be reset when you did anything, and diagonals/stabs never seemed to work.
>Takes even longer than TP to get to do anything.
>Collectible item nags happen every time you reload the game.
>The squid boss after the great boss fight in the previous dungeon.
>Fi and everything she does.
She will annoy you with an extra sound when your hearts get low to tell you to dowse for hearts.
She will tell you about your batteries despite a blinking icon at the bottom telling you this.
She will tell you what to do right after you just saw a cutscene showing you what to do.
She will insist on telling you to use the useless dowsing feature.
>>
the stamina meter needed to be longer, and fi needs to shut the fuck up

otherwise its a pretty decent game
>>
>>330695585
They should have let you upgrade the stamina meter through a quest or a medal. I get the reason it's so small is so you don't spam spins over and over, but you get to run like maybe five seconds and then you're huffing and puffing, or you get to roll a whole three or four times.
>>
>YOU'RE GOING TO BE ABLE TO FLY ON A BIRD THROUGH THE SKY
but the sky is tiny
and the bird will require motion controls to maneuver
and outside the main town and a separate sky with 3 enemies in it, there's 3-4 minigame islands
and we split up the world below the clouds so you have to fly to specific spots to access them and return to the sky each time you want to go somewhere else
and the bird only really comes into play for one boss fight
and you can't fly at night

not a huge fan of the game going "good job link, you got the three things...but they don't do anything lol. go back to the same three areas where we removed the blatant story roadblocks and collect three more things."
and the stalfos pirate was a cooler boss than ghirahim and demise combined
>>
>>330692825
That game was great you try hard hipster faggot
>>
>>330692825

too lineal, very little exploration, all the game is like a corridor, the only place that is wide open, the sky, its empty so its pointless

i would like zelda to be more skyrim like in terms of open world
>>
The constant hand-holding I can see why people hate. I didn't like the whole sky area, it was empty and tiring, and you should have been able to warp between bird statues.

I personally loved the areas you visited that acted as outdoor dungeons. I know some people didn't like coming back to the same places, but I thought they were really well done. The actual dungeons themselves were nothing special. They seemed awfully linear, go into a room, get key or hit switch, go to the only other place you can go into. I hope both parts are good in the next Zelda.

Bosses were cool, controls simple.
>>
I don't think the combat was bad or anything. But Fi and the text every time you pick up something became too grating. I got up to the second dungeon but the things I mentioned together with the handholding like zooming to puzzle solutions just made it a chore to play. I hate the entire new Zelda direction. Played SS, PH and ALBW last and disliked all of them.
>>
>>330692825
Fi has little personality, especially after we got Midna before.
The overworld is empty as shit, even Wind Waker had islands with shit to explore on them.
The bird was supposed to be some super special bond, animal spirit thing, and yet we barely get any scenes with it at all.
>"You'll find out how you forged the Master Sword!"
So we get to go on a collection quest with the flames laid right out for us. For something that is basically key to the series, sure didn't spend any extra time making the story special.
It's lonely, there's very little interaction with the world, and no towns of subhumans to explore on the surface.
For an actual romance between Link and Zelda, we really don't see them interact all that much.

Really the best part are the bosses, which are some of the best in the series. The dungeons are really hit or miss. Sword play is honestly a bit average, despite what they could have done with motion controls.

It was supposed to be the amazing, giant game that told the story of how this whole thing started, instead we got a solid, but definitely not a stand out title. Really it's near the bottom of the pile in terms of quality, like they had all these great ideas of what they should make the world like and what to do, but never got around to actually doing them.
>>
>>330696137
>but the sky is tiny
>and you can't fly at night
>and outside the main town and a separate sky with 3 enemies in it, there's 3-4 minigame islands

This is one of many reasons I hated Skyward Sword. People shit on Wind Waker's ocean but there were more areas of interest and you had no restrictions on where to sail.
>>
>>330697058
>I know some people didn't like coming back to the same places, but I thought they were really well done
Same here, I really liked coming back to the forest area during the second go and you had access to a bunch of different places and items to collect, same deal with when you go to the volcano area and you get access to different places with temples and some pillars with vines here and there.
>>
I think the fundamental problem with the game is the motion controls. But not in the way that you might think. The actual experience of USING the motion controls is fine (for the most part), but the fact that the game was centered around them meant that the rest of the content suffered.

Motion controls led to:
>more controlled linear setpieces (in order to better showcase the motion controls)
>more handholding, especially by Fi (because Nintendo wanted to make absolutely sure that everyone understood how the motion controls worked)
>less enemy variety (because each individual enemy took more work to make because of the motion controls)
>less content overall (because most of the development process was focused on getting the motion controls to work), meaning fewer dungeons, more filler/rehashed content, etc
>simplistic puzzle-like combat, because that was the best and safest way to utilize the motion controls

The only big problem that can't be directly linked to the motion controls is the overworld, because it got divided in two. There should have been either just the sky or just the ground, having both just stretched the amount of content too thin. It was a bad design choice.

Having said that, I still enjoyed the game. It had plenty of charm, Ancient Cistern and Sandship (except the boss) were good, I liked Groose and Ghirahim, etc. There's plenty to like, but there's also plenty to dislike.
>>
This game felt like a chore, I hated whenever I had to go through the sky.
>>
The art style was hideous and disgusting as all fuck. Honestly the worst looking mainline Zelda game in the series.
>>
File: Alice perterbed.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Alice perterbed.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
>>330692825
>I don't understand why this game gets hated on so much

How could you not know? People have been complaining about it for about 5 years non-stop with the same complaints.

I can understand not agreeing, I think the game is great personally, but that doesn't mean I don't know why other people don't like it.
>>
The sonic 06 of zelda game
>>
File: 1457137874113.gif (969 KB, 250x175) Image search: [Google]
1457137874113.gif
969 KB, 250x175
>x3
>>
20 hours of tutorial.
Shitty motion controls, i actually did better just flailing my arm around than trying to seriously plan out my attacks.
Fi.
Breakable shields.
>>
File: skyward sword tree.jpg (6 KB, 160x90) Image search: [Google]
skyward sword tree.jpg
6 KB, 160x90
>>330698592
>Hating fucking impressionist inspired art.

Of all the things to have a problem with anon, you picked the wrong one.
>>
>>330699623
Not really since it barely looked impressionist at all, and it made the character models look like shit.

I hope that image wasnt supposed to convince me otherwise. If that's all it takes to get an impressionist feel i could just draw some geometric shapes thrown together and call it Picasso.
>>
>>330694549

I wouldn't even hate the waggle so much if they actually did anything good with it. But the way Skyward Sword uses it turns nearly every battle into Simon says.
>>
>>330700129
Pablo was more of a cubist/surrealist. Monet, Manet, and van Gogh are who you want to look at for impressionist.
>>
>>330700907
That pic still doesnt look all that impressionist. It's small but basically it's just the tree that really gives that feel.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.