[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has the capability of piracy ruined your enjoyment of games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 3DM.jpg (120 KB, 1569x1200) Image search: [Google]
3DM.jpg
120 KB, 1569x1200
Has the capability of piracy ruined your enjoyment of games?

When I was a kid and in my early teens, I had to buy all of my games. I enjoyed the fuck out of them because my options were so limited.

After learning about piracy, I've adopted a "try before I buy" approach. This has led me to play many, many games, for very short periods, before realizing I didn't like them and move on to the next. I don't give them the time they might deserve, unlike when I was a kid I would play the shittiest of games all the way through and get some enjoyment out of them.
>>
Self control is a good thing. Sometimes we're forced to pick and choose what we want most, and it really makes us think about whether something is worth our time or not. When we are free to choose as much and as often as we want with few to no limitations, we take everything for granted. The more you have, the less valuable each average item becomes. There will be a few that stand out to you still, but the rest almost becomes monotonous. There are many reasons why I choose to not pirate, and this is one of them.
>>
You could make a similar argument for steam sales. Especially if your "try before you buy" period is less than 2 hours now that refunds are here. And as a kid you are going to enjoy things you won't enjoy as an adult. That's just life.

Think of all the money your "try before you buy" approach has saved you? Maybe you have missed out on a few games you would otherwise like, but just as certainly you would have bought games you never would have liked.
>>
>>330650952
It's difficult for me not to pirate. I just don't have the income to risk buying a shit game. There are also some games I'd like to try, but definitely wouldn't want to own. I still buy games I really like, but end up hopping from pirated game to pirated game most of the time.

Although recently I've been just considering stopping piracy altogether and going without video games if I can't afford ones I want. It's a hard decision for me to make. On one hand I can have all the games I want for free, on the other I can enjoy games more but not have many at all.
>>
>>330650246
And on the flip side, remember how fucking angry you got when you bought a game that ended up being shit?

Imagine you're a kid, you save up sixty dollars for a game, and then you pick up The Old Republic.
>>
>>330651146
I don't do Steam sales. I used to. I once bought a shit load of games because I thought I was getting a deal. I ended up filling my library full of games I still have not played to this day. If I'm going to buy a game, I don't mind paying full price for it if I actually want it.
>>
>>330651171
>I just don't have the income to risk buying a shit game
See, I can respect you for being honest about why you pirate games. I don't buy or even play many different games every year. I might buy three to five games a year, but that's purely out of choice. I'm not interested in most games, but the few games I do like, I tend to like a lot. My family was very poor when I was younger, so even though we are very well off now, I kept my frugal spending habits because I saw how it almost always made me happier in the end. The one game I regret buying for full price (Even preordering from GameStop!) is Ace Combat Assault Horizon. I would say Halo 4, but my brother paid for that game, so I didn't feel the burn from it very much (I still would have bought it for $40 after a few months.)
>>
>>330650246
>>330651146
Yes to the steam games part. Like, I've bought the whole Hitman series in a sale a few years ago. I still haven't played any of them, and I'd probably enjoy them a whole lot.

But I still play lots of vidya games, so I'll eventually get to it I guess
>>
>>330650246
I rarely pirate games mostly because my computer is a toaster. I do pirate music, but bands don't make much from album sales anyways. I buy shirts or go to shows to support bands I like which is where the majority of their income is from anyways.
>>
>enjoy 3DS
>bought lots of games for it
>hack 3DS
>man this is awesome
>stop playing it
god fucking damn it
>>
Funny its the other way for me. When I was a kid I used to PIRATE PIRATE PIRATE because I had 0 money and steam sales werent really a thing.
And before I learned that pirating exists I didnt really play games because, well, 0 money.

Now that I have a stable income where some 50 bucks for a game is basicallly nothing I buy everything. Though, still prefer steam sales to get multiple games.
>>
When I only had a PS2 as a kid I regularly went to a local game store to switch games or sell them. Complete rip-off, but I just didn't know any better.

I read ton of magazines, though, and anticipated games much more.

Now that I have a job and could buy most games I like I play maybe once or twice a month. I'm just here because this thread was on the front page.
>>
No, games becoming ADHD targeted shit where you can experience everything meaningful in the first half hour and the rest is watching your rank go up is what ruined my enjoyment of games.
I still pirate/emulate all the old games I used to play, so it can't be said that I only liked them because they were expensive.
>>
>>330652249
I think this might be a part of it, at least, but not in the way you're getting at. I've played so many games now that it's really easy for me to see how much enjoyment I'll probably get out of it if I continue to play it. You can only play so many generic third person shooters or action RPGs before you've played them all.
>>
>>330652249
I've noticed that most of the games I emulate I already played and paid for in the past.
>>
>>330651819
i buy call of duty tshirts
>>
>>330650246
Not really. When I was in my teens, we used to swap floppies in school. During college years, edonkey and all that crap combined with faster connections came around, made it rather easy to download games. Downloaded quite a shitton of games.

Nowadays, games are fucking cheap (even the mainstream titles aren't above £60), and it's about 5 to 10 clicks to buy one, so why bother with pirating.

Don't have the time to play anyway. Took me about 7 months to finish Pillars of Eternity.

Damn you, full-time job.
>>
>>330650246
The only time I "pirated" a game was for an abandoned game from the early 90's that isn't sold anymore, and the asshat who bought the rights to it won't do anything with it. Even then the game was in French so half the time I had no fucking clue what was going on. So no, it doesn't affect me.
>>
>>330651960
I thought I would adopt this when I got a stable income but pirating games just became to ingrained in my system. I just keep thinking why should I pay for something I don't have to.
>>
File: vidya.png (189 KB, 431x584) Image search: [Google]
vidya.png
189 KB, 431x584
>>330650246
It did, at first

I can't even exactly describe it
It's like you have a insanely huge backlog since there are so many games I want to play
and they're all 2 clicks away so I constantly start new game only to get familiar with them and then start another new game when I'm bored since you can do it.
Nothing is stopping you.
So the solution to this problem is simply self-discipline or multi-game playthroughs, like playing 6 games at once.
The latter isn't optimal to the enjoyment of the games since particular games rely on immersion and the adventure feeling.
That's gone if you switch games like crazy.

All of this got out of hand when I got a PC. This didn't happen with consoles
>>
>>330653191
Interesting. My thought is more along the lines of:

> Waste 12 seconds to buy game on Steam/Gamersgate/GoG
> Waste several minutes to find proper torrent/ftp/newsgroup, download and viruscheck, fiddle around with crack etc.

The x bucks I save from pirating I lose in lifetime. It's not worth it..
>>
>>330653385
I see it as I can use that money towards something else like my sneaker collection
>>
>>330651568
>I don't do Steam sales. I used to. I once bought a shit load of games because I thought I was getting a deal. I ended up filling my library full of games I still have not played to this day. If I'm going to buy a game, I don't mind paying full price for it if I actually want it.
Yeah, it's the same with me to be honest. But at least in theory it could fulfill a similar function that "try before you buy" piracy has now.
>>
itt old people that can't enjoy themselves anymore
>>
>>330655917

Denuvo made me a cuck
>>
>>330655917
Denuvo made me a cuck
>>
>>330650246
I suck at torrenting so no.

I can't seem to get a torrent that doesn't take a year to download.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.