[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>wants to make a simple 2D game >I know /v/ will hate it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: 1447183578711.jpg (42 KB, 510x427) Image search: [Google]
1447183578711.jpg
42 KB, 510x427
>wants to make a simple 2D game
>I know /v/ will hate it because of lol retro graphics
>>
Hey if it's actually decent and doesn't try to be something it's not, then it's a-okay for me
>>
I'll give it a go
>>
File: laughingsluts2.png (326 KB, 700x437) Image search: [Google]
laughingsluts2.png
326 KB, 700x437
>>330559634
>caring what faggots on /v/ think
>>
Why do you even care what /v/ thinks?
>>
/v/ is not your audience. you will doomed to fail if you try to pleased /v/.

Please make a game like kardashian "fashion" simulator.
>>
File: 1455559120057.png (116 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1455559120057.png
116 KB, 480x480
>>330559634
>2D=retro graphics
?
>>
As long as it's 16 bit graphics like Ristar, have fun.

It's when people string literally ten dots together and call it "a character" that I automatically skip it.
>>
2D does not automatically equal retro dumbass. Do something original with the art style besides pixelshit.
>>
>>330559935
/thread
>>
>>330559814
Unfortunately, the two go hand in hand nowadays. Anything that's pixels or similar to Minecraft is called retro by the uneducated masses.

Just like gay used to just mean happy, but now includes people who are confused.
>>
>>330560334

Strawman. Retro became derogatory because nobody makes Mario 64 clones or quality 2D like Metal Slug. They either make better looking yet walking simulators so non-games or Atari 5200 compatible titles.
>>
>want to make 2D game
>absolutely underestimate the workload
>don't get anything done
I should keep it more simple
but I feel like simple doesn't motivate me enough
>>
>>330559634
Fun fact, It still in 2d but nothing saying you can use 3d models.
>>
>>330559634
If you are going to use pixels, try to at least stick to one resolution in less you have a good reason not to. I also hate it when a game has pixels, and then those pixels are not aligned on a grid.

Anyway, someone from /v/ made Risk of Rain, and /v/ liked that. I think.
>>
File: consolewarrior.png (946 KB, 1294x1230) Image search: [Google]
consolewarrior.png
946 KB, 1294x1230
>>330559634
/v/ hates everything you dumbass. just market the game to pedos and nintenyearolds and you'll be a hero on here
>>
File: Follow your dreams.webm (187 KB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
Follow your dreams.webm
187 KB, 260x146
>>330559634
>Caring what /v/ thinks
>>
>>330559634
You probably ended up on "retro graphics" because you have no artistic skills at all.

I was in the same boat when I tried to make a game. The pixel art you see in indie games is easy as fuck to do, but looks like complete shit.
>>
>>330559634
Depends if it is actually retro.
Undertale boasts its self as retro when snes graphics were better
It the game play is good enough and the pixels are too bad it will be fine
>>
>>330559634
/v/ is full of contrarian hipsters. Just make sure your game doesn't get too popular and It'll be heralded as the second coming of Christ. Like Undertale before it was actually released.
>>
>>330562790

Undertale is not the second coming of christ, it's the second coming of MLP.
>>
>>330562340
>add a new feature
>it breaks 90% of my previous code
th-thanks
>>
/v/ is everyone
you can't please everyone
>>
>>330559634
Fuck the hi/v/emind.
Some of us deeply appreciate a good pixel art game.
>>
>>330564120
Well, I don't know if you are using a prebuilt engine or game development kit, but good coding practices go a long way to mitigate this.

That being said, you are going to break things. Keep up the struggle.
>>
>>330559634
don't feel bad about making a game thats potato af. It's not like it'll get popular enough where /v/ even talks about.
>>
>>330560556
It's almost impossible to develop a game as good looking as Metal slug when you don't have a fully funded team of artists.
Since most indie games don't have that they tend to look ugly or have basic visuals.
I don't have a problem with that as long as the game presents interesting game mechanics and doesn't try to be 3deep5me just to hide it's low production value.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.