[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this allowed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Borderlands damage comparison.png (2 MB, 1552x1252) Image search: [Google]
Borderlands damage comparison.png
2 MB, 1552x1252
Why do devs think that making damage/health numbers go absurdly high is a good thing, anything more than 4 digits as the most powerful attack is redundant and always results in broken scaling as exponential curves get out of hand.
>>
>>330520515

Ask JRPG devs.

>start out doing doing something like 20 damage
>by the end of the game you are critting for an orangutan fuck billion points of damage
>>
>>330520515
Things like this are why I don't like games like Borderlands, games with "RPG elements" are just annoying.

>this gun does more damage than this gun just because it does
>bigger numbers everywhere lol
>>
fuck you. I love seeing low as fuck numbers at the start of a game and high ass numbers at the end.
>>
>>330521186
Going from 10 to 4000 is ok.

Going from 10 to 1.9 million is not.
>>
>>330521364
19 million actually.....
>>
I wish they'd at least fucking put some effort into formatting it the text. "19845380" is ugly to read. "19,845,380" is better. "19.8M" would be better still.

Also yes, Borderlands 2 is a shit game.
>>
>>330521062
>What are game mechanics
Borderlands is shit but if you seriously scoff at the idea of a game not doing one hit kills all the time then you're in the wrong medium friend.
>>
>>330520515
I don't get autistic over the numbers themselves, just the fact that BL2 becomes a chore to play at higher levels because of it.

Did the new ones have the exponential scaling? BL1 was one of my favorite games, but BL2 was so bad I never bothered with another.
>>
>>330520515
Fucking level scaling
>>
>>330521364

Why?
>>
File: my man.gif (874 KB, 273x415) Image search: [Google]
my man.gif
874 KB, 273x415
>>330521548
i've noticed this too, and i think they do it to conserve space for digits. i find it fucking stupid to have numbers in the billions but no comma to make it easy to read.

i thought i was the only one pissed by this shit.
>>
>>330521364
Guess you don't like Disgaea
>>
>>330520515
it makes players feel good

doing 10 damage to a 100 hp target is not the same as doing 1000 dmg to a 10000 hp target

I don't like it but I understand why devs do it
>>
>>330521548
The division actually does this. Rifle says 19.7k on dmg
>>
>>330521902
Pre-sequel started off having numbers very much like BL1, but by the time you reach the end of TVHM and move into UVHM, you've already started seeing BL2-tier numbers. By the time you reach max level in Pre-sequel, you're essentially playing BL2: We're On The Moon edition.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.