[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't Blizzard hire IceFrog and make an official DotA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: apRA_tpJ.jpg (32 KB, 500x487) Image search: [Google]
apRA_tpJ.jpg
32 KB, 500x487
Why didn't Blizzard hire IceFrog and make an official DotA game before Valve did?

They could have just made an officially licensed Warcraft Allstars, hell they could have done it before even League of Legends became a thing, but they didn't, why?
>>
Because they didn't see the potential?
They never do until 5 years after
>>
Because Blizzard has too much pride to admit someone could make a better game using their assets.
And Valve are opportunists.
>>
Blizzard aren't very innovative.

However, they're updating Diablo 2 again, which makes them the best developer right now. Overwatch is decent as well.
>>
File: 1442197629792.png (9 KB, 429x431) Image search: [Google]
1442197629792.png
9 KB, 429x431
>>330516197
Hahahaha true story
>>
>>330516170
This. That's why they throw out so much stupid copyright shit and keep forcing names and models in Dota 2 to change, they're butthurt that a billion dollar idea was sitting right their in their own game and they didn't grab it so they're throwing a tantrum over it.

Alternatively, it's not casual enough for the modern blizzard audience so they wouldn't have really wanted to take control of it in its existing form.
The game would be a disaster if Blizzard bought it instead of Valve.
>>
Because Blizzard wanted complete control over the project (see ToS for SC2 arcade map making) which meant Icefrog no longer in charge, so he looked elsewhere.

Thankfully too because despite all the problems Valve was the best thing that could ever have happened to Dota.
>>
Blizzard hasn't done anything smart in about 10 years.
>>
blizz missed the opportunity. had they managed it better, they could have easily capitalized on the Tower Defence, Survival and Moba/AoS market, all of that shit pretty much got started on WC3/SC custom games.
>>
>>330515958
There was a rumour IceFrog approached Blizzard to talk about making Dota a standalone game, but they told him to make it a mod in Starcraft 2 instead.

Regardless if thats true of not, Valve contacted him in 2009 about it and hired him to make Dota 2. I don't know when LoL came out.
>>
>>330516435
>The game would be a disaster if Blizzard bought it instead of Valve.

This.

They would've casualized it and no one would've been happy.
>>
Really has nothing to do with Blizzard, Icefrog has stated he was very choosy with the company so he could meet his specific vision
>>
>>330516760
Where did Pendragon go after he shut down dota-allstars.com and joined LoL?
>>
>>330517001
Was it because he wanted control of the game without meddling from others?
>>
>>330517224
>Q: Can you tell us how you first met Valve and how you like it so far?
>A: It started off with an email from Valve where they mentioned that they were big fans of DotA wanted to fly me out to spend some time with them and visit their studio. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the trip. After arriving and chatting with them, the first thing I noticed was how much of their decision making process was like mine. They shared the same aspirations towards building a long term and sustainable community without having short sighted business goals that end up hurting the quality of the game. One of the most important things for me though was that there wasn't going to be anyone standing above telling me how I should be doing things. They trust the developers that have experience to make the best decisions for their playerbase. The atmosphere at Valve allows everyone to be very comfortable and able to focus on what they love doing. It also doesn't hurt that they are huge DotA fans.. until their favorite heroes are nerfed, then I'm the bad guy for a week!
>>
>>330515958
But who is Icefrog?

No Bruno memes please.
>>
I don't give a shit about these games anymore, but I still think that it was kind of scum on Valve's part to name the game 'Dota 2'.

It was basically public property until Valve decide to gobble it up for themselves.

Yeah, Icefrog did a lot for one version of the game, but it existed long before he came around.
>>
>>330516303
>updating Diablo 2 again
What?
>>
>>330516438
>still no Pit Lord
>>
>>330517045
To work for Rito?
>>
Probably because Icefrog is a greedy fuck and was already riding on S2 dev's coin and waiting in secret to pounce with Dota 2.

Fuck that faggot, and fuck his shitty way of balancing.
>>
>>330520696
>Fuck that faggot, and fuck his shitty way of balancing.
Yeah, fuck him for balancing the game so every hero is situationally viable!
>>
They were too focused on WoW at the time to do jack shit with their other IPs.
>>
>>330517474
A guy who wants all of the fame, but none of the accountability.
>>
>>330519702
http://us.battle.net/en/forum/topic/20742864181
>>
>>330521450
>>>wants all of the fame
>uses anonymity

?
>>
>>330520741
I know right! Also fuck him for being an human being and actually liking money.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.