[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>/v/ talking about why they don't like a game >it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: 1453922523379.png (225 KB, 2000x2354) Image search: [Google]
1453922523379.png
225 KB, 2000x2354
>/v/ talking about why they don't like a game
>it's soulless
>>
>>330472529
"soulless" is a shitposter's perfect buzzword - it still sounds negative but doesn't really mean anything.
>>
>>330472852
Just like "overrated" or "meme game"
>>
File: 1425237499617.png (112 KB, 335x295) Image search: [Google]
1425237499617.png
112 KB, 335x295
>"It was a step back from the first one."
>>
>>330472934
overrated is when everyone loves a games and because so many people love it it escalates their love

meme game is just FotM.

Soulless literally isn't a thing because firstly, souls don't actually exist.
>>
>"floaty"
>>
File: 1421118164581.gif (990 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1421118164581.gif
990 KB, 400x225
>It's a good game, it's just not a good X game
>>
>>330472934
spotted the undertale autist.
>>
>>330472529
REMEMBER WHEN YOU WERE DUMB
>>
>>330473192
I don't see anything wrong with that.
A lot of games were like that this year. whern they released a game that was good on it's own, but didn't meet the standards set by the series.

I'm assuming you are talking about Fallout 4.
>>
>>330472934
>>330473065
>>330473206
Not him but shitposters have said this even about dated or obscure games, they have about the same substance as calling someone a faggot or autist does around here.
>>
>>330473192
>first three games in the series are strategy
>make the 4th game an action FPS
>game is good enough to stand on its own, but not what the original fans expected out of the series

How does this not fit you faggot?
>>
>>330472852
>it still sounds negative but doesn't really mean anything.
>"I'm such an uneducated millennial I don't even know how to define an adjective."

It means lacking any sort of creativity, innovation, or the tender loving care that went into what became beloved cult classics. It was made to be an easily palatable commercial product targeted towards the lowest common denominator audience for maximum profit. ie. the new Battlefront or the new Star Wars film.
>>
>>330474349
And this matters in a videogame (where the only requirement is fun gamplay) how exactly?

I'm well aware of what soulless means in context, it's just essentially meaningless as a videogame criticism. Like saying "this is functionally good but it doesn't feel like it was made with love". Any commercial videogame is made for profit.
>>
>>330474720
So I guess we can't praise a game for being charming now. That sucks.
>>
File: 1427018484057.png (370 KB, 632x413) Image search: [Google]
1427018484057.png
370 KB, 632x413
>>330473065
>souls don't actually exist.
>>
>>330475531
is there evidence that souls exist?
>>
>>330474720
>And this matters in a videogame (where the only requirement is fun gamplay) how exactly?

Wrong. If people only played games for gameplay then nobody would ever buy story or character centered games and adventure games including the Stanley Parable and Life is Strange would never have become successes.

>it's just essentially meaningless as a videogame criticism

Wrong. Movies, books, music, and games all have examples of being soulless.

>Like saying "this is functionally good but it doesn't feel like it was made with love"

Like Call of Duty and Warlords of Draenor.

>Any commercial videogame is made for profit.

And it being made solely as a product to enrich Bobby Kotick makes it soulless. I remember enjoying the gameplay of Dead Space 2 feeling, "This gameplay is engaging but there is no plot, no character arcs, no real reason for Isaac to go here and there except to enter another room filled with monsters. The VO doesn't feel like real people but people in a room reading lines."
>>
>a bad X game is still a good game
>>
>>330474720
>Like saying "this is functionally good but it doesn't feel like it was made with love". Any commercial videogame is made for profit.

The point completely blows over your head time and time again, and I'm not even that guy.

I guess the easiest way to explain it to you is to use examples. Games with quirky humor, tons of secret content you can only access if you don't just play for the sake of finishing it, creative item descriptions, well-placed references to previous games in the series, even fluff like special idle animations that play only in some specific circumstances is what people generally refer to when they say "game with soul".

A "game without soul" is basic, standard, like a white hospital room, like a holywood action flick, it doesn't try anything new, it doesn't try to go outside the player's comfort zone by being too different, it doesn't have secrets or easter eggs, it probably has a lot of invisible walls and the developers clearly didn't enjoy working on it.

To give an even more concrete example, what I consider a "mediocre game" with soul is Divinity 2. What I consider a good game with soul is MGS3. What I consider a game without soul is ME3.
>>
>>330475721
I am able to question things therefor I have a soul!(?)
>>
>>330475729
>Wrong. If people only played games for gameplay then nobody would ever buy story or character centered games and adventure games including the Stanley Parable and Life is Strange would never have become successes.
I don't see those as the same kind of thing. I'm not going to claim "hurr they aren't videogames", but I will say they're a separate type of media compares to the stereotypical game.

>Wrong. Movies, books, music, and games all have examples of being soulless.
They do, but I don't believe games you actively "play" (as opposed to games you interactive with, such as the examples you gave) can possess such a trait.

>Like Call of Duty and Warlords of Draenor.
I haven't played any CoD game since 4.

>Bobby Kotick
who?
I didn't even like the first Dead Space if I'm honest.
>>
>>330476712
What you're describing isn't a "soulless game" just one lacking in substance and references.
>>
>>330478930
>I don't see those as the same kind of thing. I'm not going to claim "hurr they aren't videogames", but I will say they're a separate type of media compares to the stereotypical game.

That's your opinion but it doesn't really address the point I made that there are more to games than purely gameplay. If that weren't true people would consider tech demos full retail releases and call them classics.

>They do, but I don't believe games you actively "play" (as opposed to games you interactive with, such as the examples you gave) can possess such a trait.

They can, Tim Schafer (while I'm not a big fan) is known for putting "soul" or lots of love, care, and attention to detail into his games. Troika put soul into VTM: Bloodlines even though it was never fully finished. EA churns out yearly releases of Ballgame 2016 with virtually no changes to last years edition and yet charges full price. That is a soulless game.

>I haven't played any CoD game since 4. I didn't even like the first Dead Space if I'm honest.

I'm giving you easily recognized examples. I can't know which titles would make my point to you clearest because I'm not you.

>Bobby Kotick
>who?

If you're posting on /v/ you should know who the jewish vampire CEO of Activision is in the year of our lord 2016.

You're just equivocating at this point I'm sorry to say.
>>
File: 3742780.png (270 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
3742780.png
270 KB, 1000x1000
>charming
>personality
>comfy
>>
File: loweringstandards.png (143 KB, 1279x443) Image search: [Google]
loweringstandards.png
143 KB, 1279x443
>>330473192
i blame metroidfags for this quote

fucking apologists
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.