[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Easter eggs, myths, secrets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 1456766070269.jpg (9 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1456766070269.jpg
9 KB, 300x168
One of the few gaming related online shows I found genuinely entertaining online was the Pop Fiction series hosted by GameFailers, which is now literally sinking into the ground.

Is there any series that is soleley based around uncovering video game myths, secrets, and easter eggs worth checking out?

I really think video game myths are genuinely interesting.
>>
whatever happened to pop fiction anyway?
>>
Here's a good little easter egg to drum up some attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuuzmOXL1bc
>>
>Pop Fiction

Shit, I hadn't seen that in forever.
>>
>>330421735

I have no idea. I think maybe GT axed it in their infinite wisdom. Probably the same wisdom that dictated re-design number 89.

GameFailers did everything in reality wrong, but Pop Fiction was genuinely entertaining.

>>330421861

I know, right? It's totally worth a watch.
>>
there's this i guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVaT0VK8yRs
>>
this guy did one huge video about that kinda stuff and then dropped off the face of the planet forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdUZfpcpt5s
>>
>>330421735
GT is kill anon.
>>
>>330421213
>No more mysteries in vidya
>Pop fiction turned into easter egg videos

Seriously fuck this
>>
Pop Fiction was great because:
>the myths were usually from well-known games
>the way it was presented added an air of mystery to their investigation
>they often dedicated crazy amounts of work to debunking some of them
>they seem to have ample resources in terms of games, consoles, hardware and manpower
>they often got in contact with actual game developers in order to verify shit, and due to their big GT-backers they usually got answers too
>they give credit to people who have laid the groundwork

Things that are shit with Pop Fiction:
>it's usually pretty vague what exactly they conclude at the end of each episode is a myth or not, sometimes they say myth to a hidden level they JUST played, while other times they say something is a fact despite having to use gameshark and hacking the code to achieve it
>the episodes were waaay too short and never really went in-depth about anything, but more giving an overview
>they never really get terribly creative with the concept, and they could use an engineer or programmer on staff to help them dig deeper
>they are run by fucking GameFailers, and that's essentially an economic bullet to the head right there
>>
>>330422172

There can still be mysteries in video games. Capcom still claims there are things in MM9 people have never seen.

That being said, this is also the company who claimed MML3 was on the way, so what the fuck do I know?
>>
>>330421935

This isn't bad, but his voice sounds like death.
>>
>>330422282
It's hard to believe at this point. No one's searching for it anymore and it obviously can't be found through normal play.
>>
>>330421735
like all 'gaming secrets' shit, they ran out of good material and it came down to "ROSALINA IS LUIGI'S DAUGHTER" shit
>>
>>330422172
>No more mysteries in vidya

GTA5
>>
>>330423106

That's the weird thing though. Capcom have said it's infinitely small, and the game's been hacked to pieces and every line of code thoroughly examined to reveal nothing.

Some people think it's relating to the endless mode.
>>
>>330421735
Wasn't it handled by Damiani who got fired?
>>
I too miss PF. Too bad GT was such shit.
>>
File: 1410911590503.jpg (72 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1410911590503.jpg
72 KB, 1280x720
>there actually were uncovered secrets in MK2
>>
>>330423521
He didn't get "fired" he was laid off.

GT kept getting downsized over and over by their owners, used to be MTV and then Defy media.

GT really didn't have a choice they had to let people go.
>>
I wish devs would go to greater lengths to make easter eggs and myths in games nowadays.

It really makes for an interesting hunt and fun content when unraveled.
>>
>>330423989
>didn't get "fired" he was laid off

No, see, "laid off" is what people say when you're fired but you're in denial.
>>
>>330421916
>re-design number 89
That is what made me drop the site
It was completely changed for no reason and each time it was less intuitive
>>
>>330424183

Less intuitive and with more space for advertisement. Gotta' bring in those shekles goy!

I swear one of the earliest versions of GT had one banner at the bottom of the page with some shampoo advertisement or something, and that was literally all the advertisement they had.

I'll miss Pop Fiction, but fuck GameTrailers. Let that place burn.
>>
>>330421213
>there will never be a good gaming myth show better than this
Fuck
>>
RIP PF - you'll be missed more than your parentsite
>>
>Pop Fiction hadn't update in forever
>check Facebook and see they make an update
>get excited as fuck
>it's them announcing that the site is done
>No more PF
Worst moment ever
>>
>>330426117

And the weird thing was that it wasn't even that incredibly good to begin with.

Like yeah, it covered some stuff but like I said in >>330422209 the show did have flaws.

Great concept but needs a lot more time and energy put in to it than the 80k views are probably worth.
>>
>>330426271
I hate to say it but it's just a comfy show.
Nothing better but to have it playing in the background on my phone or my TV while playing video games on my PC, 3DS, or something else.
>>
>>330426618

I don't know, I think it should have transcended beyond that. Make it a more hardcore exploratory thing, instead of comfy background noise (I will admit that yeah, it was pretty comfy though!).

Had they had a few software/system engineers at hand, maybe they could have delved deeper into why some things occurred and why not, however they did have a few episodes where they went as deep as I liked.

I think it was a Zelda episode where they talked about RAM-monitoring and decoding hex-values. I really like that.

Makes it feel like someone genuinely put a lot of work into something, you know?
>>
>>330426801
I definitely agree, but as noted GT should not have even attempted a show like this. I'm surprised it was as good as it was and was the only reason I came to the site before just watching them on YouTube.
>>
Goodbye sweet prince.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.