[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do Asians just like non-stop grinding and nothing else? Anyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: gstar_imc_boss13_screen.jpg (331 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gstar_imc_boss13_screen.jpg
331 KB, 1920x1080
Do Asians just like non-stop grinding and nothing else?

Anyone here Korean or Japanese or at least have any insight into why Japanese and Korean RPGs/MMOs tend to be just massive fucking grindfests?

Do they complain about it on their gaming boards like we do?
>>
>>330419028
>Do Asians just like non-stop grinding and nothing else?
what else are you gonna do in an internet cafe with toaster computers?
>>
>>330419028

Yes. In Korea MMOs are intended to be played in internet cafes where you mindlessly grind while hanging out with friends.

Very different than the perception of how they're supposed to be played in the west.
>>
Because they play video games 16 hours a day so their games need to last longer than ours in order to justify their purchase. This is achieved by using grinding mechanics.
>>
Western MMO's are grindfests as well. Just Western MMO's tend to back it up with a better written story.

I honestly couldn't tell you anything about the story or setting of TERA or Aion or Ragnarok Online

I guess with Tera an island appears for some reason, which you go and kill the bad demon on, then you do stuff and there is a general who betrays you for some reason with some cult faction I'm not exactly sure who they are?

At least in WoW you know what you are grinding towards in the context of a decent story.
>>
What's the problem if it's fun?
>>
Was that game any fun? Besides the grind. I think I got into the closed beta but I never bothered to download.
>>
I'd take a grindfest any day instead of free handouts like WoW
>>
Asians are far, far more sociable in their MMO's. Yes they grind, but they will grind with a group of 10 of their friends and get the task done in half an hour instead of several hours it will take solo.

Also Korean MMO gaming takes place at LAN cafes where they hang out, get food, get drinks etc etc, so it's a sociable thing.

Western players seem to like the solo experience more and thus Western MMO's focus more on story and PVP. This is why a game like ToR was basically a single player RPG.
>>
>>330419028
MMOs are a social thing in Korea because you'd go to whatever netcafe is close by with all your friends and basically spend the day there
>>
>>330419028
I live in korea atm, but im not Korean. Most koreans i know have at least 2 jobs, one guy i work with has fucking 5. So its part of the culture i guess.
>>
>>330419028
Yes. I read somewhere that several mmos have flopped in Korea because they weren't grindy enough. I guess they are played only by literal autists there.
>>
File: V1qYQa_GNUU.jpg (65 KB, 604x521) Image search: [Google]
V1qYQa_GNUU.jpg
65 KB, 604x521
>>330419486
>Wow
>Decent story
>>
>>330419028
A lot of them are more grindy in the west because the Korean version gives you pretty big bonuses for playing in a PC Cafe, and basically everyone plays from a PC Cafe. Whenever they come to the west, western publishers completely ignore that and just remove them.
>>
>>330419028
I am convinced that grinding is one of the worst sins that a game designer could possibly commit. This isn't limited to just Korean and Japanese games btw, but shitty games like Assassin's Creed in general and Far Cry Primal

Time is precious and limited. Games are getting longer, we are at a point where some games are hundreds of hours long. The entire reason why people go to work, get jobs, and make money is so that they can pay other people for goods and services so that they don't have to make those goods or provide those services to themselves so that they can save as much time as possible and do something else that they feel is either more enjoyable or more worthwhile. Grinding is nothing more than mindless busy work that isn't fun or enjoyable that exists to literally waste your time. The hours you spent grinding can be used for anything else, like enjoying another game, learning a new skill, reading a book, watching a movie, working on another hobby, etc. but it is instead wasted on mindless chores that do nothing for you, but you continue doing anyways because of a vague hint of a carrot hanging at the end of the stick that you rationalize in your head is worth all of the monotony. When a game is built around wasting your time so it can justify its price you know you are in for some shit.
>>
It is mostly your target audience.

In countries such as Brazil or Russia, games are viewed as something just children do. Once you're past a certain age, you quit playing games, and get on with your life. Because kids don't have patience to do repetitive tasks over and over again, there aren't any Russian or Brazilian grindfests.

In America, we have a bunch of spoiled manchildren, who play games into their 30s and 40s and think it is part of culture. Not-for-kids. But despite being manchildren, most of us do have lives, including hard-working jobs we go to for 48-56 hours per week in order to make ends meet or pay off our student loans or whatever. In addition, our parents tend to mostly kick us out of the house at 18, and we're on our own. We just don't have time to grind.

But in Japan and Korea, there is a whole culture based around hikikomori ways or otaku culture or whatever you want to call it. NEETs. They sit at home all day with nothing to do, and since family is very important in those countries, they are never kicked out of the house or forced to pay medicare penalties from the government. So that's the target audience. It is an audience that doesn't exist anywhere else in the world. So that's why their games are that way.
>>
File: cryo.png (130 KB, 192x262) Image search: [Google]
cryo.png
130 KB, 192x262
>>330419937
It was kind of garbage and not what anyone wanted.
The game was just following quest hubs up to level 160-ish where everyone in the game was forced to grind one area (with 2 channels) up to 170-ish before they could go back to questing. Because of the reliance on (story) quests to get exp most of the maps were really barren with hardly any enemies to fight even if you did want to try and grind levels.
Heard they fixed a bunch of stuff but the classes are still super unbalanced, still totally quest based, and "solved" the problem by letting you do more instanced party dungeon grinding. Oh and now that the game is released you can't trade items or use the marketplace without a subscription.
>>
File: 1454480007299.png (191 KB, 630x776) Image search: [Google]
1454480007299.png
191 KB, 630x776
Autism.

Autists don't like change and enjoy repetition.

When you log onto a weeb MMO you know exactly what you're going to get: a long, slow grind where you do the same thing over and over for hours at a time.
>>
>>330421606
I understand your point and I also dislike grinding, especially in competitive games.

However grinding is valid in some games. I think of the situations where the dev wants the player to feel something rewarding. Having to work for something vs instant gratification. It's not wrong if the process is enjoyable.
>>
>>330421672
>But in Japan and Korea, there is a whole culture based around hikikomori ways or otaku culture or whatever you want to call it. NEETs.
>NEETs
>MMOs
lamo nice try ivan
>>
File: 1454119055747.jpg (37 KB, 480x642) Image search: [Google]
1454119055747.jpg
37 KB, 480x642
>>330421958
This. To pretend otherwise is folly akin to madness.
>>
>>330421672
I cannot tell if you're baiting or not.
Maybe you really believe the bullshit you wrote.
>>
NAME ONE GAME WHERE THE GRIND WASNT HURTFUL TO THE GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE FOR YOU

HARD MODE: RPG
>>
File: 1410499922071.jpg (46 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1410499922071.jpg
46 KB, 270x270
>>330422376
Maplestory

>mfw it was just a glorified chatroom anyways
>>
>>330422376
runescape
>>
>>330422007
Pretty much this, most MMOs are inhibited by older women these days, at least the KR/JP variations.
>>330422376
Terraria, I don't mind because grinding in the game is super easy and you can at most points just AFK it. Mabinogi was alright too because the community was pretty nice back around 2003~2009
>>330422452
Most MMOs were basically chatrooms with gameplay minigames.
>>
>>330422376
Runescape, Except for agility because it was shitty and totally useless except for when it wasn't.
>>
>>330422614
>most MMOs are inhibited by older women these days
Nice.
>>
>>330419028
eastern online games are born p2w instead of turning p2w when the game fails and drops the monthly sub, grinding is there to incentivate buying premium currency/boosts to cut the grinding time, plus the trend to hand out epic gear at every step to not make babies cry hasn't caught on there yet so you still have to earn your shit, this is probably the biggest reason why eastern mmos are regarded as some strange thing
>>
File: psobb3.jpg (221 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
psobb3.jpg
221 KB, 1024x768
Probably the only nip MMO I liked the grinding because missions vary and maps were versatile.
>>
>>330423848
PSO2 is amazing too.
>>
>>330419028
>Being a fucking casual
>Being the reason MMORPGs died

Kill yourself you fucking faggot.
>>
>>330419671
Grindy in korean mmos means killing the same enemies over and over and over again. No quests, no nothing, just killing mobs for xp. How anyone finds that fun is beyond me.
>>
File: 1457583020349.png (38 KB, 666x666) Image search: [Google]
1457583020349.png
38 KB, 666x666
>>330424596
>being a weeb autist
>>
>>330421672
Please tell us more about cultures you have never experienced.
>>
>>330426182
>quests
The one thing that managed to single handedly kill off party play
>>
My girlfriend is Korean and she LOVES grinding in games, not even MMOs as well, but standard RPGs that aren't even built for grinding, for example Pokemon, she will look up charts and level her Pokemon too 100, do all this EV min/max shit before she faces the elite four.

She loved TERA online for the grind.
She loves games like Path of Exile, Titan Quest, Diablo 2 etc for the same reason, grinding.
>>
>>330421958
There are western MMOs that are like this too. Go try to play endgame Rift, where you have to grind all day long for weeks for ONE piece of gear.
>>
>>330427708
Where can i find a gf like this?
>>
>>330427708
I bet she'd love to grind on my dick too.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.