[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Final Fantasy VII really might be the greatest game ever made
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: nigel-farage-ukip-times.jpg (347 KB, 2197x1463) Image search: [Google]
nigel-farage-ukip-times.jpg
347 KB, 2197x1463
Final Fantasy VII really might be the greatest game ever made

I just beat it. I've never played a game this good. Not even approaching this good. Not even REMOTELY approaching this good.

Like everything was just.... Every moment, every payoff, the artistic direction, the sheer effort, the sheer volume of materia and gameplay options, the pacing, the fun, the characters, the stakes

It was just absolutely perfect, have any of you played it recently? It's way WAY better than I expected from its reputation around here
>>
It's one of the handful of games that will ruin all other games for you, be careful
>>
File: 1456154155936.png (1 MB, 1282x879) Image search: [Google]
1456154155936.png
1 MB, 1282x879
>>330412134
What are the others?
>>
>>330412369
RE4, Nier, Kingdom Hearts (not final mix, original), STALKER series, Demon's Souls, and a couple others

By their powers combined you will become jaded and realize how terrible games have become
>>
>>330411408
Play Chrono Trigger, nigger.
>>
>>330412836
I have. I really like it, maybe love it, but I don't think there's a comparison.
>>
>>330412895
You're right. Trigger is way better, and Cross is the best.

You're not ready for Cross though.
>>
>>330411408
I love FFVII, but you're overrating it.
>>
>>330412369

Mario Galaxy 2
Abe's Oddysee
Ico

Playing them makes you realize we don't DESERVE videogames that good.
>>
>>330411408
If you liked 7 that much you should play 6, 9 and X as well as Chrono Trigger and Xenogears
>>
>>330412369
MGS3. No game will ever surpass Subsistence. It's the perfect videogame.

FFIX deserves a mention aswell.
>>
>>330413136
Never played 9 or 10. Never played Xenogears.

FF6, I dunno, I completed it and it carried me through, but I think it's definitely overrated and nowhere near as good as VII. It really strained on me at times.
>>
>>330413242
I guess it's less animuy. FF7 has that animu melodrama appeal. Come back in 10-15 years for 6
>>
>>330413416
but 6 has melodrama too, it just isn't set up as well and feels way more desperate and ineffective

like cyan's family dying and then seeing them on the train, I hadn't really interated with cyan at all except those two scenes and they're treated with such dramatic weight

but they don't work because there isn't enough finesse

I mean 6 is good and all, but VII is a monolith of design that shits all over it to a comical degree, and intentionally so at that
>>
>>330413416
spot the retard
>>
>>330412782
My fucking nigger
>>
>>673300262
It really is that good though. I bought my first Playstation and FFVII when my gf had the flu and was bedridden. Set it up on the floor next to the bed and played all day. Few days later she was better and i couldn't put the game down.

FF tactics is a much different but also totally engrossing game, perhaps the most underrated of the FFs. Much recommend.
>>
File: 1454880344906.jpg (498 KB, 850x581) Image search: [Google]
1454880344906.jpg
498 KB, 850x581
>>330414114
Have you played FF12? The Zodiac Edition is plenty underrated.
>>
File: 121222154.png (2 MB, 659x2602) Image search: [Google]
121222154.png
2 MB, 659x2602
>>
>>330414296
....ehhh

I really enjoy FF12, but it has an extremely empty and repetitive quality that takes a lot to push through.
>>
>>330414313
>FFV
>just decent
>all those garbage games above it
Final Fantasy was a mistake.
>>
>>330414485
Zodiac Edition fixes that.
>>
>>330414558

Does it?

The fast forward button helps, but it also really drives into you how padded the game is, and even going fast it's still pretty sluggish a lot of the time.

The IZJE is better, but it also really upset me to realize I hadn't chosen a knight and couldn't use lots of those ultimate swords, ever
>>
>>330414296
FF12 is my favorite in the series but haven't played Zodiac Edition. That game is so huge that it's pretty daunting to play through anymore.

>>330414313
I actually liked FF13 And FF13-2 was tolerable. But i bought FF13-3 (Lightning Returns) played about 15 mins and put it on a shelf and haven't looked at it since. Someday maybe i'll be bored enough to play through it.

Also enjoyed ff10-2 and think it's slighlty underrated.
>>
File: 1454309170462.png (61 KB, 715x643) Image search: [Google]
1454309170462.png
61 KB, 715x643
>>330411408
I've only ever played and finished 7, and I loved it. I've started emulating Chrono Trigger and the atmosphere is great but the combat is getting kind of repetitive; although the dual-tri attacks are kinda neato i guess.
>>
>>330413606
What is finesse? A man's family just died and he isn't allowed to experience sorrow? His family had to die so he could join you. It wasn't for drama, it was for PLOT
>>
>>330414313
>Kingdom Hearts
>visionary
>>
>>330411408
You just went full retard anon, never go full retard. Also ff vii is totally meh
>>
>>330414558
Zodiac doesn't fix the horrible pacing or shit story
>>
>>330411408
Yea, it's really damn good. Most of the complaints people have are them thinking about the spinoffs and not the game itself
>>
>>330413136
Chrono Trigger I'm kinda meh on.

Loved it the first time I played it. Not so much again
>>
>>330417443
>it's so melodramatic!

It actually isnt. Pretty understated at times.

Though if voice acting was a thing it probably would be
>>
>>330414313
Swap 8 and 5 and this is somewhat accurate.
Not sure what KH is doing in god-tier though, it's pretty average.
>>
>>330413242
Leave this place at once and go play ff9.

While i agree that ff7 is a masterpiece, it strays from what final fantasies are supposed to be.

9 will blow you away.

And people will talk shit about 12 in here, but you should try it too.
>>
>>330420219
>While i agree that ff7 is a masterpiece, it strays from what final fantasies are supposed to be.
>9 will blow you away.
Maybe FF7 is better than what FFs are supposed to be
>>
>>330411408
>I've never played a game this good.
You need to play more JRPGs, then. FFVII was good, but not that great.
>>
>my first jrpg experience

wew lad welcome to 20 years ago
>>
How can you forget the music OP. Stuff will live on forever.
>>
>>330420219
FF9 won't blow anybody away. It's a nice throwback game (as long as you count 7 and 8 as throwback by the time you get to Terra), and it's got panache, really a nice game, but it's not mind-blowing.

The thing about Final Fantasy VII that's truly mind-blowing is this:

On that day five years ago, Cloud throws Sephiroth into the lifestream. We know that characters thrown into the lifestream get all fucky and bubble up at some sort of extrusion point. Cloud bubbled up at Mideel, and Sephiroth emerged at... the northern cliffs, where he was encased in a sphere of mako up until Cloud gives him the black materia at the end of the first disc. All the time you're chasing "Sephiroth," from Shinra Headquarters up until the Jenova Death fight, is really a certain shape-shifting, mind-controlling alien.

Anyway, skip to twelve minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo2rTEfY3wA

So among other things, it wasn't Sephiroth who killed Aeris.
>>
>>330415385
But they played it really hard with him chasing the train and stuff

I dunno just seems pretty thin and badly handled if you ask me, not to mention basically defining melodramatic and completely overshadowed by lots of better handled character scenes in 7
>>
>>330411408

>Baby's first RPG
>Best game ever

Too much shilling going on tonight.
>>
>>330422371
FF7 is a mind blowing title but not because of a simple plot element

Realizing that aeris's church is all fucked up because one of cid's spent fuel rockets landed there is mind blowing

Realizing Vincent and Lucrecia were poetically together in that they both became immortal and isolated themselves in the same way after incorrectly assuming the loss of the other is mind blowing

Realizing the obviously nice and rude dialogue choices are clever diversions from unconscious meaningful decisions like party company selection in determining who likes the player the most and shoed up for the date is mind blowing

Realizing hojo only went crazy and started essentially helping jenova/sephiroth atop midgar just before you kill him because he injected himself with jenova cells moments prior and jenova has mind controlling abilities is mind blowing

That simple plot element isn't mind blowing
>>
Played it for like an hour and didn't find it fun at all. It was also ugly as sin. I don't really like JRPGs though so that's probably part of the reason. I still thought I should try it.
>>
>>330412836
CT is overrated.

It might have one of the best soundtracks though.
>>
>>330424179
And yet almost nobody seemed to have caught it; nearly everyone thinks Sephiroth killed Aeris. Even Square jumped on the bandwagon, since the spin-offs emphasize Sephiroth and downplay Jenova. As for Hojo, keep in mind that Sephiroth actually is his son, so it's probably not necessary to bring in the Jenova aspect there. Hell, the interplay between Hojo, Lucrecia, and Vincent is probably the most soul-crushing part of that game.
>>
File: miyazaki.jpg (986 KB, 5768x1064) Image search: [Google]
miyazaki.jpg
986 KB, 5768x1064
>>330424380
>I don't really like JRPGs though so that's probably part of the reason

maybe you like actual videogames
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.