[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so was the DS really just a GBA with better 3D and two screens?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 876432NintendoDS[1].png (510 KB, 880x609) Image search: [Google]
876432NintendoDS[1].png
510 KB, 880x609
so was the DS really just a GBA with better 3D and two screens?
>>
what else would it be?
>>
>>330373596
It also had the best library any handheld ever had.
>>
>>330373714
> best library any handheld ever had
> Zelda 3513 and Mario 1684351

t o p k e k
>>
>>330373596
Do you think you could run most DS games on the GBA? it clearly has much better perfomance and a touchscreen, why did you make this thread?
>>
>>330373674
I guess I mean to ask if they're really similar in architecture, it seems almost like it's a GBA + add-on rather than a unique system design. Not that this was a bad thing just weird to me.

>>330373714
don't jump the gun on your defense there console warrior
>>
>>330373869
If you're going to shitpost at least put some effort into it, we come here for quality content and quality shitposts.
>>
>>330373714
>People already forgot the PS3 levels of NO GAMES the DS had in it's first years
>>
>>330373869
Why are you shitposting?
>>
>>330373886
I wouldn't be surprised if games like pokemon mystery dungeon and the castlevanias couldn't be ported back to GBA. Obviously without the touch-specific additions, but those games really didn't do much that couldn't be done on a GBA from what I can tell. The only thing that would really be hurt there is probably the eye candy in the CV games.
>>
>>330374010
>>330374040
I apologize, I forgot one.
Pokemon 6184
>>
>>330373596
Fuck you, i will say it.
Most of DS library would be better without 'gimmick's like touch controls.
Sure there were few gems that made use of 2 screens and made touch controls interesting, but most of time it was shit.
Well, at least it wasnt as useless as 3D in 3DS.
Still, DS Lite is great handheld.
>>
>>330373596
GBA could barely handle SNES while the DS was considerable better than the N64
Sadly GBA should have been much better
>>
>>330374027
well 8 years gives you plenty of time to get games, as the PS3 itself proved

fuck that was a sad first 6 months though. When Go and Touch Yoshi was a must-have game you know you're fucked.

>>330374162
There actually are about 20 pokemon games on DS if you count spin-offs. I think 10 of those are main-series games alone.
>>
>>330373986
He isn't implying consoles are better you gigantic faggot
>>
>>330374252
>fuck that was a sad first 6 months though.
More like 3 years the first really interesting game the system got that justified it's existence was The world ends with you.
>>
>>330373714
For for turn based games and VN's yes. But there are a lot of touchscreen focused games that are crap.
>>
>>330374226
GBA would have been better if it had earned any time alive. They delayed the game boy successor for years due to lack of competition, finally releasing game boy color when neo geo and wonderswan hit the field, and then they used the GBA to kill the colorized successors to those opponents which came out to fight the GBC.

Of course then they found themselves up against the PSP, and no way in hell would the GBA win that fight, so they had to pull out the DS.
>>
>>330374185
Touch screen is just a marketing meme and shouldn't be used as the main function on the game Metroid (on ds) is fucking bullshit for that reason
>>
>>330374027
I was in like 4th grade when it came out. I sure didn't care. I had fun playing Mario 64 and Nintendogs
>>
>>330374370
the fuck you talkin m8? DS launched with a sparse fare but it was fine once 2005 came around. By that point you had animal crossing and castlevania for solo play, and mario kart ds, bomberman, prime hunters demo (or goldeneye), Meteos, and Mario 64 DS for multiplayer. Plus a few good single-player games in there.

The DS had a pretty decent library after only one year, and got a consistent stream of good releases every year after that.

>>330374416
I thought kirby canvas curse and feel the magic were pretty good uses of touch screen. Elite Beat Agents too.

The only really crappy DS games that should have been good that I can recall are the Zelda games. Talk about some fucking shit titles.
>>
>>330374639
This guy gets it. I had to wait in a long ass line when EB games still existed in America. They had a limited supply and I ended up getting the last one. Greatest feeling ever.
>>
>>330374724
Not one of those games justified the existence of the DS. Nothing used the gimmicks of the system in a creative way up until TWEWY. It was the first game that actually was designed with the DS in mind not just a sequel with gimmicks.
>>
File: 1443144493176.jpg (10 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1443144493176.jpg
10 KB, 256x256
>>330374972
>portable wireless 8-player multiplayer off of one cartridge didn't justify a system's existence
>nor did wifi
>or original games that literally didn't exist on any other system, using features that only that system had

okay buddy, whatever you say
>>
>>330373596
>So was newer console just a console with improved hardware.

Fucking DUH op, you cracked the fucking code, jesus fuck.
>>
>>330375282
I meant more along hardware lines, like how systems are often totally new architectures but other times are literally just an upgraded version of the last one's architecture. IIRC the DS even used the same processor as the GBA, but added on another one, probably one more adept at 3D if I were to hazard a guess.
>>
>>330373869
Practically any console ever, not just handheld
>>
>>330374027
It took 4 years for the PS3 to get any decent. DS had tons of great games by its second year.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.