[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question about Gamemaker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: GameMaker-Studio-Logo.jpg (123 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
GameMaker-Studio-Logo.jpg
123 KB, 1600x900
Which of the following can/can't Gamemaker do? Could RPG Maker X do it better?(I imagine it can't but fuck if I know) I'm making an ARPG
>Procedurally generated dungeons
>Level scaling
>Non-sequential dungeons(E.G. there are five dungeons, you can do them in any order you want)
>Multiplayer
>>
>>330359370
GameMaker can do literally all of those just fine
Just like you can do literally all of those in C
or Java
or fucking any language

GameMaker is just a set of tools and functions with a connected scripting language, it's really only limiting if you try to get into 3d at which point you should just use Unity
>>
>>330360297
Ah, I see.
I've noticed that Gamemaker is mostly used to make mobile games and shit like Undertale where it's all pre-scripted, so I figured it might have heavy limitations
>>
>I'm making an ARPG

No you are not, you don't even fucking know how tools or programming works. You are not making anything for years or more possible...never ever.
>>
>>330360436
All games are pre-scripted. That's how they run. >>330360519 is correct. You don't know shit about how engines work. Go educate yourself on how to actually program before you use a tool designed to make it easier.

Learn what a nail is and what a hammer is before you accidentally start firing a nailgun into a crowd.
>>
>>330360436
If you're concerned with limitations, why not just use full-feature libraries like SDL or SFML?
>>
>>330360739
>all games are pre-scripted
What? That's not what I meant. I mean, in Undertale for example, nothing can change except a few random encounters. Bosses will even use the exact same attacks in the exact same order. I would like to have dungeons be different every time.
>>
>>330361035
Not that guy, but you'd have to come up with a pretty good algorithm (not programming related) to generate the amount of randomness that you want.

Also, are you familiar with programming at all?

Knowing this is half the battle if you want to implement your intended randomness algorithm like this in your games.
>>
>>330361035
>I would like to have dungeons be different every time.

That's called PCG and good luck with that.
>>
>>330361424
>PCG
>Procedural content generation
see OP
>>Procedurally generated dungeons
I'm not some retarded 12 year old.

>>330361302
I'm learning code atm towards to goal of making this game, I've got friends making music and sprites
>>
>>330361035
That's because it's programmed to be like that. Everything you mentioned is possible through programming and has nothing to do with engine limitations. Things like efficiency, objects on screen, tilemaps, and object inheritance are engine limitations. Whether or not you can randomize dungeons isn't... as long as you're using an engine that allows you to create your own scripts.

Don't tell me you're planning on using drag-and-drop to create an ARPG with randomly generated dungeons. If that's the case tetris and flappy bird is all you're gonna be able to make. There's no button you can click to magically make a dungeon randomly generated. You have to code for the specifics.

>I'm not some retarded 12 year old.
Then do some research before you ask questions that make you sound like one.
>>
>>330361624
>I'm not some retarded 12 year old.
That's fine you can be whatever age you want.
>>
>>330361624
Well IMO it may be too early on to tackle procedurally generated content if you're still in the process of learning.

Start with small projects and see if game programming really does resonate with you before moving into procedural content.

You might not know this, but the developer for Undertale posted on twitter that he would need to find programmers to redo his game from scratch to port it to Nintendo platforms since apparently he didn't do much programming at all with his game.
>>
>>330361943
The guy I'm learning from may have to help(read: do most of the work) with the PCG stuff. He's aware of this.
And yeah, I saw that, I follow tobyfox on twitter. Him saying that basically made me want to dig up this 'idea guy' stuff I've had and make a game out of it.
How the hell is a guy supposed to actually start making games when people are such unhelpful cunts?
>>
>>330359370
Just make a roguelike in a normal language.

Text-based shit is easy as fuck and you'll learn how to handle some good algorithms.
>>
>>330362113
>How the hell is a guy supposed to actually start making games when people are such unhelpful cunts?

Hoooly fuck you sound like an entitled cunt. Literally go read a book or watch a tutorial, doofus. Look up HeartBeast, he has a bunch of beginner GM:S tutorials on youtube. That's all I'm gonna say.

Nobody spoonfeed this guy any further.
>>
File: 1442727795632.jpg (82 KB, 554x636) Image search: [Google]
1442727795632.jpg
82 KB, 554x636
>>330362113
>'idea guy

Well it starts with suggestions like this.

"Idea guys" are the least appreciated people in game development.

At least be useful for something besides coming up with ideas to implement in your game.

How about researching game design which will lead into things like content and enemy design and other such features?
>>
>>330362113
>How the hell is a guy supposed to actually start making games when people are such unhelpful cunts?

By putting a little bit of effort in research and using some of the countless online tutorials and beginner guides instead of making other people spoonfeed you
>>
>>330362113
Maybe we are cunts because you can't be bothered to google one of the MANY fucking articles on how to make games and/or game related programming.

Fucking kids...
>>
>>330362352
>HeartBeast
I do have his 'how to make an RPG' playlist saved, is that the one I want? Or is there a better one for ARPGs
>>
>>330362352
It's "self-entitled"
>>
>>330362593
>Or is there a better one for ARPGs

Fucking do you need to be spoonfeded the entire code, art and game?
>>
>>330362721
I was asking if he has a better tutorial than the one I have bookmarked, man.
>>
>>330362113

By yourself? Read guides, google it, use stackoverflow. Don't be entitled.
>>
>>330362846
Not him, but only if you wanna make a platformer, which he sells on his site apparently for $25.

Worst case scenario you could buy an engine on the Yoyogames Marketplace, though your buddies may appreciate you less for putting in less work than them.
>>
File: 1434166512307.gif (2 MB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1434166512307.gif
2 MB, 350x350
>>330362846
>Take 15 mins to skim through some videos
>If it fits what you're aiming to make, watch them and follow along

How is this so difficult? How do make any decisions for yourself? Do you need your parents standing beside you telling you how to bathe yourself? Is this just bait and I'm falling for it like a dumbfuck?
>>
>>330363358
a little of both desu. i've always had trouble going through with anything without input from others
>>
>>330363421
I wish sage still worked.
>>
Spelunky was made in gamemaker and it has procedurally generated levels. The dev released the source code for the original free version of the game, you can get it from its website somewhere if you want to study it. It seems like a really tricky thing to code.

Level scaling is definitely possible. Broadly, if you want enemy health to increase with the player's level, you could do something like
>enemyhealth=30+(playerlevel/10)

Non-sequential dungeons is more of a level-design thing than a coding thing.

Gamemaker can do online multiplayer, I've really tried it though. Nidhogg is a gamemaker game with online matchmaking, so it's possible.
>>
https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/1207/platform-procedural-gen

Here ya go OP, unless you don't want an action platformer.
>>
>>330363561
But it does.
>>
Game Maker is turing complete. It can do anything a computer can do.
>>
>>330362113
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUtKzyIe0aB2HjpmBhnsHpK7ig0z7ohWw
>>
>>330362113
>>330359370
Go to the GameMaker forums instead of /v/, maybe?

I do not understand how people come to /v/ to ask their beginner questions, then are totally surprised when somebody calls them a fag and gives them a half-answer.
>>
OP are you just learning to use gamemaker? Coding an RPG can get complex if you're not used to coding. And procedurally generated levels is probably far more complicated, idk I've never done it. Multiplayer's probably not easy either.

Seriously, start with some practice platformers or zelda-likes.
>>
OP is a fag, my gamemaker game will be better than your unfinished shit
>>
File: sadd.jpg (33 KB, 282x277) Image search: [Google]
sadd.jpg
33 KB, 282x277
>tfw I have to write Master's Thesis
>tfw I have to look for job
>tfw I don't have time to learn GameMaker stuff
>tfw I won't make my own game in next few years
>>
>>330364105
Yeah well my GM game will kick your're GM game's poo hole. FYI it's a randomly generated open world survival crafting game with the dankest 2x scaled pixel graphics known to man. I already have a whole 10 backers, including my mom AND my dad.

Just give up.
>>
>>330364292
>tfw I won't make my own game in next few years
actually making it is 90% of the fun
the moment you finally implement a mechanic BUG-FREE and it works just as you envisioned it to is amazing, it's like seeing your own child take their first steps

>>330364338
oh yeah? my game has furries
>>
>>330360739
> Learn what a nail is and what a hammer is before you accidentally start firing a nailgun into a crowd.

So you're telling me to use a hammer and some nails to commit mass murder instead of a nail gun? I'm not following you anon...
>>
>>330364292
>not learning programming in your free time since high school
P l e b
>>
>"Dude, do you even C++?"
>is just a neckbeard consumer like everybody else here

All those seasoned gamedevs here, /v/ stays classy.
>>
>>330364481
It was already too late when I realized my mistake.
>>
>>330364573
The fuck are you even on about?
>>
>>330364573
>implying you even know how to build a command buffer
>>
>>330364471
Maybe ask your friends to write your comebacks for you too, ideas-man. That was weak shit.

> I'm not following you anon...

Why don't you do shit for yourself instead of following people your whole life, idiot?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.