[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where Metroid should have ended
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8
File: 893488-super_metroid_box.jpg (159 KB, 495x345) Image search: [Google]
893488-super_metroid_box.jpg
159 KB, 495x345
Hey Metroid fans, Metroid was originally supposed to end at Super Metroid. Samus had finished her fight with the Space Pirates and Metroids, wiping out the Metroid species in Metroid II and eradicating the Space Pirate Organization. The galaxy was finally at piece. Since the story was finished with no real need for a sequel, should the series had ended here instead of continuing?
>>
>>330316971
>piece
>>
File: aweomewtf.png (171 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
aweomewtf.png
171 KB, 736x736
>>
Literally no body cares for story in Metroid games
>>
>>330317023
oops I meant peace.
>>
>>330316971
Yeah the series should have ended here. There was no need for constant sequels or remakes. Series went on a decline right after this game and has become ridiculously convoluted.
>>
Super Metroid's ending seemed so perfect everything else just feels tagged on.
>>
>>330317102
Story is the only thing nu-maled care about. They are too dumb to read novels but want to appear cultured. That's why they only play mature games for mature people.
>>
Fuck you, Metroid fans
>>
>>330316971
All the best games in the series excluding Super were released in the 6th generation, so no. I'd much rather take the brilliant games released after Super Metroid over a nicer bookend than Fusion when the series' overarching story never meant that much.

Also, the Metroid series was never planned as a trilogy and it shows. Super Metroid has a bunch of characters come back from the dead, you revisit a planet that you had previously blown up a part of, the Metroids are clones because you killed them all twice already. This isn't like the Prime trilogy where they already had plans for a proper continuation and another game involving Phazon would feel tacked on.
>>
>>330320649
Sakamoto: "I think the series is basically finished. Metroids were basically destined to be exterminated in the first place. So, I wanted to finish it in the most beautiful form."

http://www.metroid-database.com/sm/interview.php

Super Metroid was supposed to end the series no shut up. /thread
>>
metroid Prime is the best metroid game though
>>
>>330321220
But>>330321037
>>
>>330321037
What if we want more games like Metroid but not the story of Metroid? Why wouldn't Nintendo abide? Why must everything be linear platformer city?
>>
>>330316971

metroids follow alien film stories. As long as alien films are made, so will metroid.
>>
>>330321730
See>>330321037
>>
>>330321037
Sakamoto had no involvement on Metroid II, the first Metroid game he directed was Super and he was the guy who suggested doing an original story with the next handheld Metroid game instead of a remake.

Also, don't /thread your own post.
>>
>>330322265
I thread my own post because no posted in my thread and just to prove a point that Sakamoto, Kano, and Yokoi had all plan for the series to end here there was never a plan for a continuation. Why do you think it took so long to get an actual sequel, and in that sequel why do you think the story didn't correlate with the first three games? Because Super Metroid was supposed to end the series.
>>
>>330321037
>/thread

is this fucking 00s gamefaqs? fuck off
>>
>>330321037
Who gives a shit about what Sakamoto thinks? All that matters is good games are being made, the story in Metroid is kind of secondary anyway.
>>
>>330322510
>Why do you think it took so long to get an actual sequel
Because the plans for Metroid 64 fell through when the team Nintendo was trying to collaborate with for the project turned it down?
Do you think the development for Metroid 4 wasn't even considered until 2001?
>>
>>330322615
Yo faggot I wasn't just Sakamoto, Yokoi, and Kano wanted the series to end here to. It's the main reason why Intellgent Systems stop making Metroid games after this and why the original R&D1 team broke up. The R&D1 team that made Fusion and Zero Mission are a completely different team.

>>330322549
My thread I can end it when ever the fuck I feel like it now go to fucking bed junior /thread.
>>
>>330322924
Again, who gives a fuck? It wouldn't have added anything to the series to end it there, and we got good games afterwards. The answer to "should the series have ended there?" is just "no". Story isn't everything.
>>
>>330322790
It wasn't Sakamoto saw that Retro were making Prime so he built up a new team to make Fusion
>>
>>330321037
>cutting out the answer he gives right after

>What will Samus do next?
>Sakamoto: I can't clearly say right now, but I think I want to make her the main character in an action game.

he's asked about literally "metroid" and he says "metroid" is done because the metroids themselves are done
>>
>>330323025
>good games
Sorry to burst your bubbles but the series hit it's peak at Super it went downhill from there
>>
>>330323257
Those two things do not exclude one another
>>
>>330323237
As a series, at the time he was thinking about using the character "Samus Aran" for other games. Due o the popularity in the US they decided to continue the franchise after words, seeing where the series is now I feel that decision was a mistake.
>>
>>330323363
You mean you'd rather have had no games than games? Unless you're some massive contrarian who thinks Fusion, Zero Mission, and the Prime games were all garbage that's a dumb stance to take.
>>
>>330323208
You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
Metroid Fusion started development as an independent project by Sakamoto around the same time Miyamoto contracted Retro Studios to work on Prime. Sakamoto has talked about the original plans for Metroid 64 in the past.

>>330322924
>My thread I can end it when ever the fuck I feel like it now go to fucking bed junior /thread.
Are you a child or is this next level bait
>>
>>330323627
1. Get the fuck off my thread before I report your ass, I said this thread is done you have fucking posted 5 hour ago when I first put the thread up.
2. Maybe you should read up on history, "Sakamoto has talked about the original plans for Metroid 64 in the past." This much is true but Fusion only came in when Sakamoto heard about Miyamoto working with Retro on a Metroid game for the Gamecube. Sakamoto and Miyamoto always had a rivalry since Gunpei Yokoi created that rivalry.
>>
File: brian blessed laugh.gif (2 MB, 300x174) Image search: [Google]
brian blessed laugh.gif
2 MB, 300x174
>>330324036
>1. Get the fuck off my thread before I report your ass, I said this thread is done you have fucking posted 5 hour ago when I first put the thread up.
>>
>>330321037
I know it's bait, but that answer is coming from the same person that essentially made Other M what it is. I think Yokoi had a serious part in the development of Super, so Sakamoto didn't have as much free reign as is implied here.
>>
>>330324036
>Get the fuck off my thread before I report your ass, I said this thread is done you have fucking posted 5 hour ago when I first put the thread up.
You're on an anonymous image board.
When you make a thread it becomes open to the community.

>Fusion only came in when Sakamoto heard about Miyamoto working with Retro on a Metroid game for the Gamecube
Provide a source for this because I sure has hell have never seen one.
>>
>>330316971
fusion seemed like a pretty good continuation of super's story
>>
I really want this to hit bump limit just to spite OP.
>>
<thread>

thread started again OP :)
>>
>>330323516
Fusion is garbage.
>>
>>330325681
As far as handheld action games are concerned Fusions one of the better ones out there.
It had shit exploration but the best combat out of all the 2D games with some really cool bosses.
>>
>>330325751
>It had shit exploration

That makes it garbage.
>>
It should have ended before other m
/thread
>>
>lol who cares about story

Then why are you ninnies worked up over FedForce?
>>
File: Metroid.jpg (484 KB, 904x842) Image search: [Google]
Metroid.jpg
484 KB, 904x842
If the series ended with Super Metroid, we wouldn't have gotten the best game in the series--Metroid Fusion.

1.) Metroid Fusion
2.) Metroid
3.) Metroid Prime
4.) Super Metroid
5.) Metroid: Zero Mission
>>
metroid fusion was really good, some people complained about being too linear, it's true, it was extremely linear but we got story and better atmosphere in exchange. It also controlled perfectly unlike SM and its fucking item/weapon switch button, that was shit
>>
>>330326736
Because it looks like fucking garbage
>>
>>330327175
I'll never understand SM's popularity given just how frustratingly awful the movement was. The game was great otherwise, but that alone shits on everything else it has to offer and is a far bigger flaw than Fusion's linearity in my eyes.
>>
>>330316971
Then why is it so mediocre compared to other 2D Metroids? Wouldn't they want to go out on the best game, rather than a low-tier one?
>>
>>330326030
The exploration aspect was never much of a notable thing for anyone other than children anyway. It doesn't stand up nowadays.
>>
>>330327540
SM's controls for the space jump was agonizing. Fusion improved it hugely, and Zero Mission improved it heavily again.
>>
File: 1407471054805.png (2 MB, 903x928) Image search: [Google]
1407471054805.png
2 MB, 903x928
>>330324036
Thanks for the laughs
>>
>>330327175
The neat thing about Fusion is that it is a complete roll reversion of the Metroid formula. Rather than the hunter, you are the hunted - remember how you got Metroid DNA and the fusion suit looks kinda Metroid-like, while you are hunted by a carbon copy of basically endgame Super Metroid Samus? (Funnily enough, the ending where you are saved by the SA-X is a reversal of the ending of Super: rather than the Metroid saving Samus, here Samus (SA-X) saves the Metroid (Samus). I don't think they had any deeper intentions with this, but it is a fun thing to notice.)

Anyway, a part of this reversal trick the devs played on us is how someone else is doing the exploration and just orders you around to fixed locations: the AI. Thus the player grows to dislike the AI just as Samus' distrust of the AI grows. Notice how the game opens up a bit when Samus acts against the AI's orders, or how the game is completely open once the AI is on your side? The lineraity of Fusion does not just allow the story to be paced like that, it adds to the story by allowing the story to play with the linearity.

>>330327540
What is so bad about SM's controls other than the space jump needing a bit getting used to it?
>>
File: Gunpei_Yokoi.jpg (11 KB, 200x336) Image search: [Google]
Gunpei_Yokoi.jpg
11 KB, 200x336
Created the best game ever made.
Refused to release the Virtual Boy but Nintendo forced him.
Died 3 years later being hit by not one but two cars.
Was it an accident?
Was he the John Lennon of the video game industry?
>>
>>330327540
It's a good thing that ZM exists to blend the best of both games, right?

I have been considering selling off my SM cart cause there are dummies out there buying that shit for $80+ even though it's an "ok" quality game. I fucking hate YT personalities though which are to blame for nearly all inflated retro prices.
>>
>>330327690
>Sometimes the Space Jump would stop working and Samus would plummet to the ground
>>
>>330328189
He didn't really create Super Metroid, he just kinda peaked through the open door every once in a while to look if everyone was working.
>>
>>330328234
>It's a good thing that ZM exists to blend the best of both games, right?
Which is why I see it as being the objective best game, even though Fusion is my favorite.
>>
>>330328254
In that case your jumping rhythm was off.
>>
File: 1384919795375.png (98 KB, 600x671) Image search: [Google]
1384919795375.png
98 KB, 600x671
>>330324036
>>
>>330316971
It's not like the universe's injustice will disappear just because you destroy ONE organization.
>>
File: Did someone say tubes.png (5 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Did someone say tubes.png
5 KB, 500x500
>>330328531
>>
>>330318281
But stories are superfluous in high literature...
>>
>>330328586
Well, you could say that about any story. You need to allow stories to be self-contained if you don't want to describe the entire universe from start to end every time you want to write a story about some guy beating up another guy.
>>
>>330327338
>caring about graphics

I can say Hunters looks like hot garbage too in some areas. That doesn't disqualify it from being judged fairly elsewhere.
>>
>>330328830
We've seen loads of footage showcasing like five different missions and the entire Blast Ball mode. They look boring as hell and and all the first-hand impressions are mixed at best.
>>
>>330326870
kill yourself
>>
>>330317102

This is the attitude that's killing Nintendo games (see colour splash)

Metroid prime brought us heavy story into the metroid universe and was a better game because of it
>>
>>330329325
Metroid Prime brought lore, not story.
>>
>>330329325
>This is the attitude that's killing Nintendo games (see colour splash)
A generalized statement like this can never be right.

See: Skyward Sword, Other M.
>>
>>330329430
Skyward sword wasn't shit because of its story but it's bad design

I agree Metroid other m was written by an actual retard
>>
>>330328915
I thought the one with the Treehouse footage where the guys were eating shit and having fun trapping the Ice Beast was pretty neat.

It's a team co-op so I'd wager any worth you can extrapolate from it will be dependent on you having 3 IRL friends to play with. That's probably a deal breaker for some but when you keep going into it expecting a single player Metroid experience that is where you get your tongue bitten down on.

The harshness for this simple spin off game stems entirely from being deprived of a new worthwhile Metroid in years. Perhaps if Nintendo would stop being coy and at least confirm what it is they are doing for Metroid's future in the long run then they wouldn't be in this mess.

Seriously, just a confirmation that Metroid NX is in development would be enough. Instead we get vague fanfic ideas from Tanabe. He quite literally said "I wish I had the time and resources, if only they would give them to me".

Someone higher up at Nintendo doesn't care all that much about Metroid. It's a fucking miracle FedForce is even being made. Mother fans have to make do with a shitty vaporware fangame.
>>
>>330329549
>Skyward sword wasn't shit because of its story but it's bad design
Bad design based around the story.
>>
>>330329549
>I agree Metroid other m was written by an actual retard
At least the game had gameplay. If they dropped most of the cutscenes and made it more old school metroid story telling it would have been almost perfect for me.
>>
>>330329671
waggle and no overworld isn't because of its story
>>
>>330329745
but the gameplay was incredibly mediocre
>>
>>330329817
Felt like a 3D super metroid to me. Sure, for some it might be mediocre, but the mix of first person and third person made the game pretty cool to me.
>>
>>330329745
> fellow fan of metroid other m gameplay on /v/

We get witch hunted around here for good reason. But seriously at it's most fundamental level (platforming, combat, missile firing) it was fun
>>
>>330329770
The motion controls worked perfectly for me and were enjoyable as a one off experience.

The over world in skyward sword is actually a step up from a lot of 3d Zeldas, it's just the sky is barren and sucks ass with how underwhelming it is. And those load screens damn
>>
>>330329925
But the first person view was not built well into the gameplay at all. It was basically an entirely different game mode.
>>
>>330329925
It could have been cool if the level design wasn't just a strings of rooms that sometimes loop back on themselves. Actual exploration.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.