[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is games having good mod support such a rare thing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: HDT (2).webm (2 MB, 360x196) Image search: [Google]
HDT (2).webm
2 MB, 360x196
Why is games having good mod support such a rare thing?
>>
Because modders flock to the same 3 games to create the same mod 50 times over to change 0.1% of how the mod works.
>>
>>330307425
why can't game devs make their games good so that modding isn't need?
>>
>>330307928
no matter how good you make your game, modding can always make it better
>>
>>330307998
true, but when a game actually needs mods it's a piece of shit.
note the difference between need and want (i want to mod this to make it even better vs i need to mod this so i can play it)
>>
>>330307425
because coding needed for effecient console performance and coding needed for easy moddability are the opposites
good luck even unpacking cod resource packs
>>
>>330307425
most games are made for consoles first so devs don't give a shit about mod tools for pc
>>
>>330308201
>>330307998
>>330307928
There's also the issue of having a good framework to work with.

Look at how many great mods there are for mountainblade warband. There's a solid framework for mods because everything works.

Now look at how few actual good mods there are for skyrim. They have a shit framework to work with, not a single one of them has managed to make enemies interesting because combat is so shit and can't be fixed.
>>
because developers have to spend resources making the mod tools instead of working on the game
>>
>>330308201
>flawed game on release
>people mod game
>game is now good

It's possible to turn a bad game into a good one with mods. KOTOR 2 is a perfect example. A game that ended up being rushed and had cut content is fixed by dedicated modders so that people can get the intended experience.
>>
To actually officially support mods with an SDK and everything you have to have your engine support such a thing, which I guess it just something most devs don't care to do. Especially if they're using an already made engine like UE3/4. Though XCOM 2 uses UE3 and it has mod tools.

Cossacks 3 is coming out soon and is making a big deal about mod support and how the devs will help modders and such.

It also doesn't help that most games are console ports and in console gaming, if the console versions can't have something then the PC version can't either. That and console devs are lazy cunts.

Of course some games unofficially support mods but generally these can never be as good as if you have an SDK to work with.
>>
>>330307998
>modding can always make it better

no it doesn't.

Not one game (that is actually good) is better modded. Amateurs suck at making games. Every custom map in counterstrike sucks compared to the original stuff.
>>
>>330308536
Why dont they just work on mod tools after the games release and sell it as DLC, thus prolonging the games life even further by creating a mod community.
>>
>>330308659
>KOTOR 2 is a perfect example

KOTOR 2 is a good game though. Not better than KOTOR 1, but still good. No one needed your silly mods to enjoy that game.
>>
>>330308732
because no one actually gives a shit about mods
except when the game is so niche community have no choice but to try prolonging it by DIY development
do you think far cry 4 players would give a shit about mods?
>>
>>330308719
Morrowind, Civ 5, Mount and Blade, Fallout New Vegas, Sim City 4, Kerbal Space Program, Vampire the Masuqrade,
>>
>>330308719
The Stalker games. There's tons of gameplay changes, graphics mods, even complete overhaul and custom story mods.

Call of Chernobyl for instance is a free play mod with maps from all three games combined plus some new ones. And there are even mods for that mod (some from ones that are for the original games) to add many more weapons, suits, and even new gameplay mechanics like giving NPCs the ability to capture territory (something similar was in CS but I'm not sure how fleshed out it was).
>>
>>330308719
How can someone be so fucking wrong.
>>
>>330307425
Because 99% of the time those that need developer supplied modding tool to make mods, make shit mods.

Modding is exactly as accessible as it needs to be.
>>
>>330308536
They already make them for themselves. DICE went on record when cornered by mod devs like Project Reality saying their tools have gotten to advanced for modders. The real reason though is the money, because the real money in game development is 1.99 skins, which allow a comfortable profit margin to risk developing new things. It's an interesting time we live in because the tech has advanced far beyond affordability mostly due to the actual graphic and programming content.
>>
>>330309142
Give me an example of a game with good modding tools supplied by the developer, but shit mods.
>>
>>330308976

All terrible games though.

Morrowind especially for being the overrated piece of shit it is. 2002 was a terrible year for gaming in general. But that's a different thread altogether.
>>
>>330309174
I think in Dice's case, their engine has so much proprietary shit in it that it would just be a licensing nightmare to try and allow people access to their engine like modding would require. I'm sure your reason is part of it too though.
>>
>>330309275
Halo 3 forge.
Mario Maker
Little Big Planet

I don't deny that there are some absolutely fantastic content produced by the community in these but the people capable of making this content would have little to no hindrance producing the same content through other means.
>>
>>330307425
Because it would invalidate lazy dlc that are sold for much more then the zero effort it took for one guy to come up with it.
>>
>>330309517
>console "mods"
lmao
>>
>>330309312
So what you're actually saying is that you have shit taste. What's your top 3 favorite games?
>>
>>330309174
Also I must add how we hardly live in the LAN era of games, in which someone that wanted to make a DOOM would have to be passionate enough and self sacrificial enough to know what kind of quality gameplay would need to be included. Nowa days it's just stupid game journals without half a talent shilling that L4D clone where you run around hunting that beast character wtf ever that shit was. And anyone able to let someone make a decent game has to try and pander to MOBA or graphics. Nothing in between, Our times suck bros
>>
>>330309578
Almost any RTS ever.
>>
>>330308659
yeah i guess that's true but again, the devs should have had more time to finish kotor 2.
i feel like these days devs(or whoever) gets away with half-finished games because "mods will save it", essentially making the players pay full price AND make it a finished product.
anyways, i doubt kotor 2 with the restoration project is the game it was meant to be. pretty sure modders had a limited supply of "cut content" to work with
>>
>>330307425

Because in the age of cheap, lazy DLC. Mods can easily outdo the devs and cost them DLC sales.
>>
>>330309312
you almost had me there
>>
>>330309174
>DICE went on record when cornered by mod devs like Project Reality saying their tools have gotten to advanced for modders.

Yet we have complete AAA engines like UE4 handed out to everyone for free and that doesn't seem to be an issue.
>>
>>330309727
>So what you're actually saying is that you have shit taste.

It's good taste. Morrowind is a PC game made in 2002 with dead towns that are embarrassed by the night/day cycles in Zelda: OOT. It's a game that's typically overrated by people who grew up in 2002 and played Morrowind as their first game. I call it FF9-syndrome.

KOTOR is a great game though.
>>
>>330310095
and the other 7 games mentioned? I'd like to know why you think they're bad.
>>
>>330307425
>Free extra content
Publishers don't like that
>>
>>330307425
Developers want to sell you DLC. If you want bouncing boobies, then they want you to be buying their $30 bouncing DLC pack, not getting it for free from some teenager with too much free time.

Also, public image of the game. This may work for Skyrim, but most companies probably don't want what some of these mods look like to be the public face of their game.
>>
>>330307425
nobody cares about continued support

they already have your money
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.