[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would a game like this save Sonic? https://www.youtube.com/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 1430505853381.gif (1 MB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
1430505853381.gif
1 MB, 245x245
Would a game like this save Sonic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVKFRxgwSWE
>>
>>330307318
not interested in listening to some nerd prattle on about Sonic, all they need to do is follow in Colors and Generations footsteps. Lost World could have been a lot better had the controls and level design not been so befuddled, everything else was fine

Simple gameplay, lots of neat stuff to do, easy to control, not so serious story

fans of Sonic Unleashed, go suck a dick
>>
>>330307896
>fans of Sonic Unleashed, go suck a dick
What is even your problem?
>>
>>330307318
Yes. A big open world sonic with lots of super speed traveling across plains with obstacles, and then more confined areas on the map with "levels" in them, sort of more confined tracks to run along. That would be great.
>>
File: Whoa nigga!.jpg (62 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
Whoa nigga!.jpg
62 KB, 392x500
>>330307318
>matthewmatosis but with a more annoying voice
>>
>>330307997
>I Like games where half of it is shit
>>
sonic doesnt need to be saved. this isnt 2006, colors and generations are fantastic games, and lost world hate is way over exaggerated. boom was just a spin off game.
>>
>>330308038
>>330307896
TL;DR is basically

>Sonic is very physics based like Sonic 1, 2, 3
>Sonic can only homing dash at high speeds
>Parkour is brought back and made that it transfers speeds through the movement similar to Spider Man 2
>No Voice Acting and simple story

Those are the things that i remember mostly
>>
>>330307318

Reminder that US Sonic CD OST > JP OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRcR0v6I_w8
>>
>>330308517
>Sonic is very physics based like Sonic 1, 2, 3
doesnt work for 3d, they already have a hard enough time making sonic 3d stages without having to incorporate level design for physics like that. i dont want sonic to be monkey ball.

>Sonic can only homing dash at high speeds
stupid, just slows the games down

>No Voice Acting and simple story
voice acting is great in the sonic games, the story is always simple
>>
Forget new sonic games, make a game where chao raising is the main focus, make the gardens bigger and customizable, add in a bit of exploration and put the classic games in there for collecting rings
>>
>>330307318
I don't want to knock his point...assuming he has one after all this other stuff, but he seems more like he's going on about aesthetics which aren't going to really do much of anything for the current issues.
>>
>>330308125
You mean good
>>
>>330309093
lol did you even get to the part about the controls
>>
>>330307318
I'd like to see the proposed movement and physics recreated in Sonic GDK to see if the idea even works
>>
>>330308810
literally all of that is addressed
>>
File: 1434673591835.jpg (36 KB, 552x532) Image search: [Google]
1434673591835.jpg
36 KB, 552x532
>>330307896
Colors and Generations aren't much better than Unleashed. They're better but still shitty linear boostfests. You should get your head out of your ass and actually watch that video because what that dude suggests is a thousand times better.
>>
>>330307896
iizuka pls leave
>>
>>330309716
I'm into it now, but I still feel a great degree of redundancy is slowing down his presentation. Maybe he's just being thorough to be safe for people who aren't familiar, but referencing the controls of currently existing games short of the major changes he has in mind would work better. It would probably sound less carefully thought out too since X but with Y often has a ring of amateurish understanding, but in this case Sonic in 3D only has so much depth required to go over.

The forward momentum coming to a gradual stop for example is pretty obvious, now it wasn't done well in Shadow the Hedgehog but that is among exceptions.

A lot of his overall modifications, removals and additions are questionable. For example the Instashield functions as well as it does how it does due to the limitations of 2D. In 3D are we including its invincibility? Has he seen the Darkspines Sonic video where Sonic is able to stand there doing nothing while Shadow eats damage? Bosses have never been very thoughtful or polished in Sonic but the idea of being able to damage one from a considerable distance WHILE also invincible raises some issues with difficulty, issues that could be circumvented by giving the bosses multiple or longer attack animations so the invincibility isn't abused but the fact remains more work has to be done due to an added feature that has added little but calls for a lot to work on a basic level as it did in 2D.

That sort of thing is the opposite of streamlining gameplay to fix Sonic's current issues transitioning into 3D. I haven't had a chance to say this much but I've been thinking over and over everytime I see people knock Boost and praise 2D fangames that just recycle fundamental skills that they don't realize how innovative Sonic Team has been with making high speed 3D platforming so much as functional without being a looping racing game. Need another post to shortly go over it though.
>>
Here's how I would do a 3D Sonic game:
>Classic-style level-design with multiple routes, lots of hidden stuff, tons of ramps and slopes to get air/utilize slope physics on, and spots with more-traditional platforming
>no automation
>Adventure-style controls and homing attack
>a regular, non-spindash spinball that's activated like the somersault in SA2
>the levels, enemies, and bosses are challenging
>the levels, enemies, and bosses are all original as possible
>Tails and Knuckles have Sonic-style levels catered to their abilities
>ranking system can be turned off, but getting the best rank in levels is still required for emblems
>Chao Garden
>SA2-tier multiplayer + online
>story is well-written, memorable, fun, and knows when to get dark to an extent
>characters' personalities have been refined and most of them have better voices
>characters like Shadow, Rouge, Amy, and the Chaotix have minor rolls in the plot
>art-style captures the surreal feel of the Classic games and makes it much more realistic and natural, and the character models have a lot of detail to blend in with the environment
>humans and non-anthropomorphic animals are stylized the same way as the main cast, just think Eggman/flickies
>soundtrack from the SA1 composers
>>
>>330310093
>You should get your head out of your ass and actually watch that video because what that dude suggests is a thousand times better.
Are you the person who made the video?

no you daft nigger, I'm not going to listen to someone talk about Sonic for an hour
>>
>>330312929
I only skimmed and got plenty out of it. If you're not gonna get informed then shut your face.
>>
>>330311415
Homing Attack (which he has overcomplicated), Mid-air down drop, On-demand resource reliant super speed so you get a reward for rings beyond just points and soaking damage, Quick step so you can control your "X-Axis" movement without the game shitting itself.

All these are things Sonic Team thought of, not fan games, not fans. People don't give Sonic Team enough credit for their achievements, they intentionally just focus on their failures. Admittedly the abilities are things that make the game simpler in a sense losing the technical nature of physics based direction but the fact they let the idea of Sonic function in 3D at all is commendable and requires experienced insight.

For example Spider-Man's wall run in terms of how it affects his level design is very different from how Sonic's works. People detest boost, but to a degree even it had an intended limitation based on the resource depletion and if you boost too much you'll just slap into a wall or go off a cliff. All the mechanics Sonic Team added had targeted intention without throwing something else out the window.

If Sonic can just run alongside most walls and this is not a linear game that can restrain or control what's ahead like Lost World then he can now circumvent most enemies and hazards much the way the spindash could in SA. If the devs starts restricting things by spikes, pits and obnoxious enemy placement so wall running can be impeded then now the whole game is complicating its level design for a single mechanic being abused, instead of the simpler approach of SA where the wall run was in one area didn't affect design of other areas. Much like the Instashield problem this doesn't take into consideration wider context outside the specific example of its use, where it functions as intended without having any residual influence on the rest of the design.
>>
>>330308810
>physics don't work in 3D
What the fuck is wrong with your brain?
>>
>>330308649
lolno
>>
>>330313252
>If you're not gonna get informed then shut your face.
it's an opinion piece surrounding a bunch of what-ifs

be less autistic
>>
Just make a game like Sonic Robo Blast 2, with slopes like it's including in it's next major update, but with better presentation.
>>
>>330315316
Agreed. That game so far seems to have one of the more functional approaches I've seen in years, and the fact it has only changed slightly in all those years but still retains its function and enjoyment with basic requirements from the player sort of shows it handles the test of time similar to the Classic games.
>>
>>330307318
Who the fuck is this scot-sounding fuck and why are you shilling your video here like this?
>>
Sonic is fine these days.
Sonic's gone through so many variations over the years that you'll never make everyone happy. The Boost games had a strong base to build off of, are pretty well received and are easily the most successful transition for the character into a 3D space, so they should just stick with that and continue to build on it.

Boom was a throwaway TV show tie-in following a totally different continuity and wasn't developed in-house. Who cares about it?

Why do people act like it's still 2005 and 2006?
>>
>>330317560
1. The boost games appear to be dead.
2. The boost games switch to 2D for the vast majority of their platforming. 3D is usually just for running down corridors.
3. Colors has very little 3D worth talking about in it, and Unleashed and Generations are both half some other less enjoyable type of gameplay. They never really committed to the boost gameplay in the first place.
4. Even ignoring Boom, Lost World was pretty goddamn poor, and that's the only non-Boom and non-mobile Sonic game we've gotten since Generations afaik. It's been half a decade since we got a decent Sonic game.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.