[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I hope you didn't fall for the PCSS meme.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5
File: PCSS.jpg (2 MB, 2048x2304) Image search: [Google]
PCSS.jpg
2 MB, 2048x2304
I hope you didn't fall for the PCSS meme.
>>
Sure you didn't mix your screenshots up?
>>
I don't know what that is but I'm guessing it tries to improve anisotropic filtering by blurring the shit out of it, thus removing those shadows.

Why do people like blur so much?
>>
>falling for the generic third person shooter meme
>>
>>330307224
Nope.
Take a look at the framerate next to "D3D11."
>>
You know that PCSS is Nvidia tech right? Though I'm not sure how much of an issue it is to run on AMD cards. This shit really needs to become standard rather than being split into so many different forms. AMD has a similar tech that was in GTAV along with PCSS.

>>330307254
It's supposed to be contact hardened shadows, where shadow clarity falls off at a distance from the thing that's casting the shadow. It worked fine in GTAV and Arkham Origins but it looks like it's not doing what it's supposed to do here. Stalker CoP had something similar in 2009 though I think it was their own tech built in DX11.
>>
he's an AMD pleb bitching about nvidia card driver things, thinking any of that works with his card

thats funny and beyond pathetic, to the point of making shitty threads like this to bitch about something he can't have

and while im at it, he's the kind of total ass cancer fanboy cancer that makes these shitty threads of staring at the fucking floor and taking pictures of it as if that denotes a game's quality

same little cancerous fuck that probably makes threads about console games shitposting about muh textures muh floor textures all day long
>>
>>330307254
>but I'm guessing it tries to improve anisotropic filtering by blurring the shit out of it, thus removing those shadows.
Way off.
It's Nvidia's "percentage close soft shadows" which are supposedly supposed to improve shadow quality and render them more realistically by having shadow quality and clarity change depending on the distance of the light source, the object casting the shadow, and the surface the shadow is being cast on, but I've never played a game where they look substantially better than the high shadows setting.
>>330307414
>You know that PCSS is Nvidia tech right?
Just like HBAO+, it also works on AMD cards.
Also, AMD just calls their implementation CHS, and it also doesn't look much better than default high settings while performing worse.
>>
>>330307254

It's intended to cause shadows to lose their sharpness as they get further from the object casting it.

http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/comparisons/dying-light/dying-light-nvidia-pcss-interactive-comparison-001-pcss-on-vs-off.html
>>
File: 1430255809577.gif (951 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
1430255809577.gif
951 KB, 500x384
Nobody uses those gameworks settings because they rape fps even on nvidia cards.
>>
Here's a comparison.
http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/comparisons/tom-clancys-the-division/tom-clancys-the-division-shadow-quality-interactive-comparison-002-nvidia-pcss-vs-high.html
HFTS looks miles better however, shame that one is exclusive to Maxwell.
>>
this is the equivalent of an xbox vs playstation graphics comparison thread
>>
>>330307414
>You know that PCSS is Nvidia tech right?

PCSS is a Nvidia GameGem, not GameWorks. GameGems work on all hardware, they're open use.
>>
>>330307608
It's not really supposed to be better quality, just that it reacts more like in real life where shadows lose clarity at a distance from the object casting the shadow. It looks like it's just blurring entire shadows in OP's image.

It worked in GTAV but that game's shadows are already shit once you move a little ways away from the character so I just turned it off there. Origins was also pretty good at it I think. I think it was in the AssCreed pirate edition game but I haven't played that.

>>330307787
I didn't notice any framerate drops while using it in GTAV. Ubisoft seems to have implemented it completely wrong in this game so the performance hit is probably also their fault.
>>
>>330307787

>PCSS
>GameWorks

Why is everyone on this board so clueless.
>>
SERVERS ARE DOWN
>>
>>330307901
variable penumbra is in pretty much every game engine nowadays.
>>
>>330308000
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1404304-Server-Maintenance-Thursday-March-10?p=11456507&viewfull=1#post11456507
>>
>>330308172
I almost never notice it and it not being implemented is why games like Origins, GTAV, AssCreed, and this game have Nvidia or AMD options for it. In fact I haven't even really noticed it in CoP, which might have been one of the first games to implement something like that.
>>
>>330307105
>Buy shit GPU.
>Complain about it being shit.

Go with Nvidia next time.
>>
>>330308823
It's more about PCSS being shit in this case.
>>
>OP posts a thread on a specific technology, likely being implemented incorrectly in a game
>people try and start a GPU war despite the technology being available to both sides, and the fact that the specific method of shadow rendering has nothing to do with the GPU or drivers themselves
Why is this board so shit?
>>
>>330307767
Can barely see the shadows through all the chromatic aberration.
>>
>>330310301

Yeah Dying Light has the most overblown CA in the history of video games. People have been modding it out since day 1 and FINALLY the devs are adding a toggle next patch, 14 fucking months later.
>>
>>330309712
People like to funpost
>>
>>330307105
Looks like poor implementation. It looks good in GTAV.
>>
File: 1457225052942.jpg (127 KB, 480x446) Image search: [Google]
1457225052942.jpg
127 KB, 480x446
>>330307105
>actually playing the divison
Why?
The entire game boils down to "shoot someone and become rogue" and "hunt rogues/survive the rogue timer"

If there aren't a large amount of players, then the game has 0 gameplay
>>
http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/comparisons/tom-clancys-the-division/tom-clancys-the-division-sub-surface-scatterings-interactive-comparison-002-sub-surface-scattering-on-vs-sub-surface-scattering-off.html

SSS is the meme
>>
>>330308379
I remember it being in crysis 2.

It's amazing how far lighting has come. The division has some pretty baller ass fuckin lighting in it. Very few games have mutliple sources that cast shadows. Pretty much all games have real time lighting now but generally it's only from one source.
>>
File: 20160310005253_1.jpg (465 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160310005253_1.jpg
465 KB, 1920x1080
>>330307105
>>
>>330313641
Why are you calling shadows lighting? They are shadows not lights
>>
>>330313369
>subsurface scattering applied to snow
Literally why. And it does look like shit.

>>330313641
This has actually changed recently. Most games do allow multiple shadow casting lights. Fuck, Stalker SoC did that in 2007. MGSV, GTAV, the Metro games, XCOM 2, and plenty of other games allow multiple shadow casting lights.
>>
>>330307105
>Nvidia gameworks - we use proprietary analogs of free algorithms that run worse for no reason at all!
>>
>>330313369
oh wow
it looks great on skin at high res though, Ubisoft is just that terrible
>>
>>330313932
you would be surprised how many games lack proper lighting. I am disappointed more times than not while walking by a light or headlights of a car.

it's getting better. Still a lot of games that cut it out though.

>>330313821
you serious right now? Do you not understand how light works?

games don't render "sahdows" they render light and the lack of light. Maybe in the n64 and ps2 days shadows were just flat models or textures but not anymore.
>>
>>330313821
you realize there is no shadow without light?
shadow is approximation like .jpg that magically works
>>
>>330314245
The problem with headlight shadows is that having every single headlight in a game casting shadows would tank performance with good quality shadows. GTAV for instance had shadows cast from the headlights of the car that you drive but not from others, but if they did allow every car in the game to cast headlight shadows the game would be unplayable. Shadows and lighting in general are some of the most intensive things in video game graphics.

>>330314246
You can have light without shadow or shadow without light in video games though. To emulate real life it's good to have to coincide but there have been plenty of games in the past with one but not the other. Generally older games but you still have games today that will have lights that don't cast shadows.
>>
>>330313369
>>330313932
SSS is a huge improvement over old shaders. It makes people look like fucking people now. Look at MGSV running on the ps3 vs MGS4. They all had gray dead looking models while MGSV they look alive.

I love game tech. Watching tech demos is just the coolest fucking shit.

game engines that have diffused bounced light running in real time never gets old. It's like dropping acid.
>>
>>330314245
>>330314246
>Do you not understand how light works?
>games don't render "sahdows" they render light and the lack of light.
>you realize there is no shadow without light?
Wow you guys are dumb and know nothing about rendering. You actually think it works like in real life.
>>
>>330314540
It's good for people but at least how it's implemented in this game for snow it looks like shit.
>>
>>330314245
>you would be surprised how many games lack proper lighting
it mostly level design related - rushed games suffer the most from it, car headlights aside

it changes slowly with physical lighting getting involved
level designer do not have to mark and adjust everything all the time to make light anymore - objects produce light by default
that is why open world interior lighting sucks most of the time
>>
>>330313961

>Retarded /v/ poster - I call non-gameworks thing gameworks
>>
>>330314568
you should watch Carmack lecture on this matter, he explains this very simple
>>
>>330314568
It literally works just like real life you fucking retard. The light casts out, and if it hits any vertices it gets stopped. You have to do this for every lightsource and that's why it's so expensive.

It's not full on raytracing but it's the same ideal.

Please shut the fuck up when you have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>330314608
PBR is one of those terms that is so vague it's almost useless. It's not just a single system like say normal maps. It starts from the lighting architecture foundation to model creation and can be implemented in thousands of ways.

It's basically saying "Yay we can do some kind of cheat that mimics diffusion and refraction without have to completely raytrace the scene".
>>
>>330314708
Shadows can render without lights. You are stupid as fuck.
>>
>>330315003
>Shadows can render without lights

Please think about that for a second.

And again, unless you are talking about n64->ps2 era of lighting that's not how it works anymore.
>>
>>330315003
are you trolling anon cus holy shit.
>>
>>330315003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyUgHPs86XM
>>
>>330315104
>>330315174
>>330315195
Not him but lighting used right now is not ray tracing. There is no light being cast and bouncing off of stuff. The scene is rendered from the point of view of the light and information from this view is stored and they projected onto the final rendering for the frame.

Ray tracing is many times more intensive than what we have now specifically because it actually simulates light as it is in real life, which we're not doing now. What we're doing now is doing our best to approximate how it looks by using something that isn't how it actually works.

It's hard to think of any examples these days (though there are plenty where there's a light but no shadow) but like one of you said, older games like when the PS2 was around could have shadows with no lights.
>>
>>330311191
Yup

GTA5 must be one of the only games where nvidia proprietary shit was done well
>>
>>330315459
and jpg is also not point to point exact representation of an image but it somehow works and looks like original image
>>
>>330315459
We all know it's not ray tracing.

But the light is being cast. It is being blocked by vertices.

The bounced light, the soft shadows, the diffusion, the physical based lighting, that's all being simulated and essentially faked compared to ray tracing. But again again, the lighting we have now is being cast out like it were a player playing an FPS game. What they can't see behind those objects is't being lit. It's almost like rendering a completely other view for every light.

So without that light there wouldn't be any shadows.
>>
what is PCSS anyway. is nvidia per pixel AA good? can i turn off some of these 20 fucking processes that are running on my PC now? do i need the software stuff, at all?

i've always had ati/amd so yeah this nvidia stuff is confusing.
>>
>>330315621
All it had was PCSS and TXAA. It also had some AMD tech in it.

>>330315647
Yes, it works. But it's not how light actually works and you (or the other guy) seem to think that it is like how light actually works. It's a rough approximation made to look somewhat real but there's no casting light until it stops on something until we actually have ray/path tracing implemented. And I don't even think your comparison really works.

>>330315735
There is no casting light and it being blocked. The scene is rendered from the light and depth is calculated and put into a shadow map which is then added to the final scene.

>>330315740
>what is PCSS anyway
Implementation of contact hardened shadows where shadows get less defined the further you get away from an object.

>is nvidia per pixel AA good
Not sure I've heard of this. If you're talking about txaa, no, it's awful. MFAA is pretty good though.
>>
>>330315735
>What they can't see behind those objects is't being lit.
Unlit textures are completely black.
>>
>>330315923
>it's not how light actually works
>>330315195 from 20th minute, he goes into detail how and what works now
>>
>>330315923
>shadows get less defined the further you get away from an object
No, shadows get less defined the further the object is from the surface
>>
>>330316958
I've watched that before but I'm not going to go watch it now for this argument. Lighting and shadowing right now has nothing to do with how it works in real life though and it's just a very rough approximation.
>>
>>330317157
apparently you do not remember it very well
>>
This is how soft shadows are supposed to look retard. It looks way better than those fucking black bar shadows in the top screenshot.
>>
>>330319126
They're not supposed to be that blurry idiot.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.