[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So now that the dust has settled, what does /v/ think of Fallout 4?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: Fallout_4_logo.png (45 KB, 1264x632) Image search: [Google]
Fallout_4_logo.png
45 KB, 1264x632
So now that the dust has settled, what does /v/ think of Fallout 4?
>>
man i hate it when ppl start threads with that same line everytime
>>
It's okay I guess. I personally don't like it.
>>
Its what you should expect from Bethesda.
>>
Skyrim with guns.

Shallow gameplay, weak story and storytelling, awful dialog, boring factions, watered down roleplaying opportunities, lame NPCs, buggy physics, lack of customization
>>
>>330102226
I should have gotten the hint from Skyrim but i thought and hoped that Bethesda would take a page out of Obsidian's Quest design book and learn to make Decent story lines

but just like skyrim its just full of incoherent "Yeah thats cool put that in" quest design, it leaves the game feeling disconnected from its previously well designed setting
>>
I loved the Settlement building, everything else was disappointing.
>>
>>330102226
The shit storm has only begun! We have a years worth of "official" DLC to poke, prod, and tear through.
>>
>>330102226
Fallout 4 is not an RPG.
>>
>>330102226
Bethesda cant make RPG's. Even the engine itself is shit
>>
>>330102226
meh
>>
I almost bought a xbone for this...

NOT!!!
>>
>>330102226
More boring than going to shop with mom
>>
it was supposed to be the game to make this current generation well worth it after all

Except that it wasn't because everything about it smells like old Bethesda shit. Same shitty engine, same bugs, same incompetence.

A shallow piece of shit in every single regard. When Dragon Age Inqusition a game made by Bioware of 2014 turned out to be a better RPG than Fallout 4 you know you're fucking shit.
>>
>>330102226
False advertising
>>
>>330107161
>it was supposed to be the game to make this current generation well worth it after all
Only the most braindead bethesda fans ever thought about it this way. Its quality was obvious since the moment of its announcement.
>>
It's shit.
>>
Fallout 3 got me addicted instantly, played the shit out of it. Fallout 4 felt more like meh, lost interest after a few hours. Maybe im getting older, but it just misses something.
>>
Liked it a lot. Did not like how they cut down a lot of things from the last two games, but I also don't mind some of the replacements. Personally I thought the perk system was better, but I missed having skills a lot. Combat was much more enjoyable and less awkward than the last two games. I actually kind of liked the story, although I've only done a Brotherhood playthrough. Other factions might be shit in comparison. Companion system is stupid with the like/dislike bullshit. Some great enemy designs and I thought a lot of the game actually looked pretty good. There were occasions where I forgot I was playing a Bethesda game because everything didn't look like dog shit.

Easily a 7/10 for me, which is about on par with F3 and NV.
>>
>>330102226
it was mediocre at best and boring. it had flaws in essentially every part and it didn't make sense.
didn't even finish it, just stopped playing after i followed dogmeat to some military base i think, was tracking kellog or someone
does anyone know roughly how far i am in the main quest? check the spoiler
>>
>>330102226
It's not an RPG and is a mediocre action shooter.
>>
>>330102438
Welcome to 4chan.
>>
>>330102226
Absolutely HORRIBLE quest design and dialogue kill this game.
The quest design being cut down is a symptom of stripping the game of its RPG qualities. When you remove skills, you eliminate skill checks and as a result the developers are left with only two options for quest resolution.
In many cases in Fallout 4 there's only one solution to a quest and the dialogue is meaningless.
>>
>>330102226
5/10
Extremely mediocre game, I haven't touched it since beating it.
>>
>>330108647
Didn't even beat it. I lost all motivation after wondering around for hours upon hours hoping that MAYBE I would activate an interesting quest.
>>
>>330108797
There simply aren't any.
Bethesda seems to have this idea in their heads that radiant quests are a good substitute for interesting content and will keep players coming back.
The immediate problem is that these quests are entirely one dimensional.
Literally all Bethesda would have had to do was look at Obsidian's work on New Vegas and they would have been able to create not only interesting content, but also multifaceted quests that merit multiple playthroughs.
>>
>>330109053
I mean, there are some interesting quests. And by some, I mean like, 2. Namely the Silver Shroud one and the one with Robot Pirates, but even then they mostly boiled down to "Go here, get this." or "Go here, kill this."
>>
Got the game exactly one week ago to play while healing from surgery. Not impressed at all. At least Skyrim had dragons.

Fuck fallout and it's terrible crafting, bullshit shooting mechanics, and worthless quests.
>>
>>330109494
Those do spring to mind now that you mention them, but I had otherwise forgotten.
Neither of the quests were really in depth though, the robot ship boiled down to where you wanted the ship to be, on top of another building or in diamond city.
The game rarely gives you a pacifist/diplomatic option. It's always "here's our positions, choose a side."
If it even gives you that much.
>>
>>330102226
Depends what you want from a game like that. If all you want is an open world with tons of shit to explore and don't need deep combat or RP features you'll like it. If you're looking for an okay shooter with tons of loot and some light community building, you'll like it. But if you are, even in the slightest, looking for deep mechanics, combat, crafting or roleplaying, you'll be deeply disappointed. On top of that it only pays lipservice to the franchises more subtle features and sticks to the shallow aspects like retro sci-fi, post apo, roaming the wastes - if that is what you love about Fallout and don't care about anything else you'll get your moneys worth.
>>
>>330102226
>Now that the dust has settled
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me to filter that phrase.
>>
I didn't even pay for it and I feel ripped off.
>>
>>330110314
I know it's a cheap hook but how would you start a thread about something that's been talked to death? You gotta give him credit that OP got at least some people talking without bringing up waifus or using the dialogue options screenshot.
>>
File: 1451115894301.png (294 KB, 1174x1878) Image search: [Google]
1451115894301.png
294 KB, 1174x1878
>>330102226
why
>>
>>330110487
I would have used that, because it highlights how bad Fallout 4's dialogue is.
That image can be use to summarize the entirety of the dialogue in-game.
Fucking voiced protagonist.
>>
I wish Bethesda actually finished the game and wrote some interesting characters and stories in it. Plus actually fleshing out the base building mechanic would have made the game twice as good.

Guess modern Beth is just lazy as fuck and out to get cash instead of making good games.
>>
>>330109806
Yeah I'd often find myself not wanting to choose any of the choices they offered, especially when it came to the factions. Each one was equally as shitty as the next and I didn't agree with any of their ideologies. I ended up going with the Brotherhood, not because I agreed with what they were doing, but because they had a cool ship.
>>
I forgot it existed
>>
File: now that the dust has settled.webm (1 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
now that the dust has settled.webm
1 MB, 720x404
>>330102226
>>
>>330108036
Fallout 3 had problems, but at least was unique at the time.

4 isn't.
>>
>>330102226
It was okay.

They fucked up the dialogue beyond words, which is kind of a big deal or a Fallout game (or even a western RPG in general). Honestly if the dialogue had just been Fallout 3 levels of mediocre and everything else was the same I would rate the game as a 7 or 8 but because of the dialogue and how extremely they fucked it up I can't rate it higher than a 6 (in fact it's probably closer to a 5, dialogue is a big fucking deal in Fallout games).

Just the combination of removing checks for dialogue, removing most special dialogue options and that stupid fucking dialogue wheel was so bad. They completely mutilated it.

And don't tell me it was a Voice Actor issue, I didn't particularly like the voiced character but it would be entirely possible for them to pay them to do more lines for unique options and checks (I mean fuck, they literally paid the voice actors to re-act EVERY SINGLE LINE in the game in a drunken slur so that your character sounds drunk when you drink too much alcohol, money and time that could have been much more effectively utilized on actual alternate dialogue options and checks).
>>
Still haven't finished it. Playing it straight after witcher 3 it felt pretty lacking.
>>
>>330110651
I don't think it's the voiced protagonist that fucked everything up. It's more Bethesdas terrible and lazy writing. Instead of giving us the same boring variation of Yes they could have given us the option to make past experiences trigger different dialogue options. Like Yes, No, Sarcastic(yes) and I actually found this thing so i know what you really want and i'm not doing it - fuck you(which opens a new dialogue tree).
>>
>>330110805
this

fallout 3 was bethesda's first attempt at trying to adapt fallout into a 3D game

now we've seen it before and have also seen it's faults and flaws, and fallout 4 hasn't really built off of that
>>
Fallout 4 came out? I thought Obsidian was still busy with PoE.
>>
>>330102226
just like skyrim its absolutely boring and no mods will ever make it fun to play
>>
Does PC have a physical version?
>>
>>330102226
Shit story
Radiant shit and combining main quest with factions killed replayability
>>
>>330110919
Honestly the dialogue was the biggest miss-step, the combat is genuinely improved and the modular armour and upgrade system has potential.

If only there wasn't a voiced protagonist and accompanying crappy dialogue wheel it would have been a passable installment (as far as Bethesda Fallouts go at least).
>>
>>330110919
It's literally the same problem with Assassin's Creed. The first two games had problems, but they were unique, and interesting, and there was some degree of leeway there. They could totally learn from what didn't work, and what did, and make a better game.

They didn't.

And Bethesda didn't. They just made the same game with minor details while ignoring all the flaws of the previous games, and in some places, making it worse.
>>
>>330102226
modded with most of this

http://pastebin.com/ZM3Wu1bj

its more challenging but i still didnt finish it.

7/10 with mods, good dlcs could take it higher
>>
It's bad. Characters and quests are lame, but that's about expected from modern Bethesda.
But what is not expected is that world is bad too. There is no sense of distance at all, unlike Skyrim. The world in that was actually good, with long stretches of nothing that made it actually feel like you were travelling in big place.
In Fallout 4 you can't gi half a minute without coming across an interest point of some kind. This is probably concious design choice because Bethesda couldn't be assed to add in vehicles to game, as opposed to Elder Scrolls that has horses which ensure that players can cover lenghty distances fairly fast if they so wish.
Even more so, the game lacks sense of depth. Yes, there's few places that do interesting things, like the place where you drain water from and later return to find a bandit camp. And even there, while design is nice nothing else interesting happens.

Moving on from world, excessive level scaling makes the gameplay seem very samey all the way through. This isn't helped by uninspired perks in leveling system, which results in player characters feeling similar.
Crafting seemed like good idea, but with such limited amount of base weapons and options it basically becomes "pick best numbers" rather than actually encouraging players to go for interesting builds.
Settlements are a joke.
>>
>>330102226

Settlement building is the most interesting thing in the game, and even that is awkward, limited and bug-ridden
>>
Every year, I start a new game of Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. Every single year.
I played to F3. It wasn't great at all but, kind of funny to live in a vault.
New vegas was kind of better, was enjoying playing for the NCR or Ceasar legion was cool, but it missed something.
I couldn't even finish Fallout 4. there is nothing good in it.

BOS was shit, the leader, wasn't charismatic, too much "good".
Minuteman, was shit, no coherence in their story.
mutants is, like in F3 & F4 an abomination, and bethesda have a lack of creativity here.

Too much why with the institute. as >>330110648 said.
The problem with Bethesda ? "too american" as we said in my country : "I M THE GOOD AMERICAN HEROE, THE OTHERS ARE EVIL AND DO EVIL THINGS SO I M HERO I MUST STOP THEM"

You see, in F1, it wasn't about good and evil, it was about survival, in a fucking wasteland after a nuclear war. The BOS wasn't good because they call themself "knight" ffs, they were sick motherfuckers and if you do not obey us, and give them technology they kill you. The most good character in the first game was the master (end boss !). Just to tell you how fucked up & cool the game was.

This is the last game I bought, i don't give my money to game compagny which are just interested in making money.
And all the culture become like this, look at Star wars 7 for exemple.
>>
>>330110805
>>330110919
This game shouldn't have been adapted to 3D game.
>>
>>330111268
Lack fo creativity, they could have built EVERY thing in a world like fallout :
> before the great war
> be scientist from Pegasus Inc a genetic compagny which have the project to give fucking wing to horse
> work in underlab testing new sample of modified FEV we had,stealing it from a concurent compagny
> ho shit, bomb
> ???

They fixed limit themself. You can have horse in Fallout world, or geant ridable mantas or geckos, or even deathclaws.
They just make the game for money and not because they love game.
>>
File: CultistPortrait.gif (9 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
CultistPortrait.gif
9 KB, 100x100
>>330111834

>Every year, I start a new game of Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. Every single year.

Throw Arcanum in here and you are me, based anon.
>>
This is going to sound dumb as fuck to you guys, but please, it's an honest opinion.

I fucking hate the main story, and one of the biggest reasons is that playing as a female character makes no fucking sense. Your female character will always be a lawyer, so it makes no sense for her to be left alive and the husband killed. The game breaks its own lore in the first part of the game by doing this. Moreso, how the fuck does my lawyer character know how to shoot a gun? Why is she okay with rampant murder? And so on, and so on. At least with the husband it's explainable, but the wife is just pure horseshit.

Then it's the forced characterization of your player character. Like when you have the interview with Piper and the game forces you to make a specific speech choice about your child even thought it presents you 4 options (choosing any of the other 3 will direct you back to the question, forcing you to choose the last option). This is fucking outrageous for an RPG.

The companions are all cute and such in the beginning, but nothing really comes of them except for Paladin Danse and Mr. Settlement. Maybe Piper too, but even her story just... falls flat after a while.

The world feels uninspired and it feels like they just wanted to shove as many gimmicks into the game as possible, slap a shitty story on it and call it a day. That they've spent 7 years developing this game is a fucking travesty. It doesn't show.

4/10, some parts are entertaining, but in the end it all falls flat.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 500x384
>>330102226
I don't like how the Sole Survivor knows the names of nearly every person in the wasteland prior to being introduced. Even if they weren't frozen for 200 fucking years, it just isn't reasonable.

The first time I noticed it was with Mama Murphy. Nobody in the room introduced her or said her fucking name, but you address her as such right off the bat. As if the character can read the HUD too.
>>
>>330102226
Better than New Vegas, worse than 3 though
>>
>>330102226
It's a Bethesda RPG, but I enjoyed the fuck outta playing a Beth Fallout with a major facelift. Loved the gunplay and certain bits and parts. Liked the companions, didn't mind the voiced PC. DLC looks hopeful but I know it's not a perfect game. Again, I still had alot of fun, and sunk plenty of hours into it. But otherwise I'll hold my breath for another Obsidian Fallout.
>>
>>330113496
uhh what
>>
>>330102226
What do you mean? Its still a fucking massive disapointment, I really expected it to be as good as a demo of Half life 3. Instead its a fucking copy pasta of previous fallouts but with less of the shit that made fallout great and more of the bullshit i could give 2 shits about.
>>
>>330113496
No its worst than fallout 3 and vegas...
Oh and 3 isnt better than vegas btw
>>
>>330102438

This place is insanely repetitive. How many times do we really need to repost the same images for the filename threads? Or how many times have we done the 'played expected got' shit?

Fucking groundhog day here. Tumblr is more browsable at this point. At least they produce OC.
>>
It feels like GTA V.

Every time I turn it on, I turn it off shortly after out of pure boredom.
>>
File: 1448902659782.png (423 KB, 1280x1028) Image search: [Google]
1448902659782.png
423 KB, 1280x1028
I expected it to continue the way Bethesda has moved further from the core RPG concepts in favour of basic open world exploration. Thankfully both of those are things I personally enjoy and it was pretty much as I expected, so I'm not disappointed.

The only thing I REALLY hate is the dialogue wheel. I can accept that Bethesda just does not want to make traditional, dialogue heavy RPGs but the dialogue wheel is god awful. Not only does it mean that dialogue is always going to be made simpler than previous games, the choices given on screen are often minimal and don't even explain what your character will say well. I realise there's a mod to fix the latter issue but yeah.

As far as world design and new mechanics (far far better crafting, building settlements etc.) go I'm quite happy with it. Building and crafting is exactly what I wanted to see more of in 3 and NV.

Couple that with the upcoming survival update and what the DLC will add and I'd say I'm likely gonna get a lot of time out of it. I definitely think it's a better game than 3.

Just hitting 40 hours in it so far, on one playthrough, almost entirely just fucking around exploring the map.

New Vegas will still be my favourite though, I think. But that's because it's the setting, history, and writing that really make that game for me.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.