[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will Twilight Princess ever be able to escape from Wind Waker's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2
File: wwtp.png (1 MB, 1002x755) Image search: [Google]
wwtp.png
1 MB, 1002x755
Will Twilight Princess ever be able to escape from Wind Waker's massive shadow? How did giving the fans what they were begging for go so wrong?
>>
When will all of them be able to escape from Ocarina of Time's shadow?
>>
>>329936347
I wasn't begging for a mediocre port with slightly upressed textures. It was always the disgusting polycount that made the game look like shit. And that's ignoring the actual gameplay problems like the disgustingly low difficulty even by comparison to Wind Waker.
>>
>>329936347
because fans NEVER know what's best for a game or series. That's the reason they're the fans and not the creators. They're fans for a reason. Because the creators knew what they were doing and created something without the fans that was good enough to gain the fans in the first place
>>
>How did giving the fans what they were begging for go so wrong?
A wolf form that added nothing, having to do the same tear gathering bullshit every time you enter a twilight area, brownbloom, epona's controls feel more like a boat than the WW boat, Hyrule field is very boring, ...
I could be here all day.
>>
>>329936347
>8.6
>9.8

What stupid ratings numbers. Just call them 8.5 and 10. Or if you don't want to call it a 10, call it 9.5

Fuck. It's bad enough that everyone turns the 10 point scale into a 20 point scale.
>>
>>329936918
That blurry turd getting a 10 would be the shitstorm to beat 8.8.
>>
Wind Waker is the worst 3D Zelda game. No amount of inflated scores will change that.
>>
Playing through this game right now.
It's awesome, fuck off fags.
>>
>>329936347

>2 times the sales of wind wanker
>le go so wrong may may
>>
a
>>
That's what happens when you try to emulate OoT without understanding or improving on the intricacies that make OoT great.
>>
>Epona's new controls

Why did they make her control worse? She was fine before. Now it feels like the game is unresponsive when I try turning and shit.
>>
>>329936347
I will forever hold a grudge against Wind Waker for making me think it was a better purchase than Prime as a kid.

Never got to own Prime because of it. Prime better.
>>
>>329937452
>Wii launch title sells well
>>
>IGN scores

kek

Both are pretty mediocre. But really WW was where everything started going downhill fast.
>>
>>329937390
Wind Waker is the single best Zelda game ever.
>>
>>329936912
Only point I share sentiment here is brown in that there's too much of it and hyrule field being empty for zelda game. This is coming from someone who adored SotC.
>>
>>329937554
What do you mean people like games for things beyond their aesthetics?

t. every Indie dev ever
>>
>>329937772
>Gamecube version still sold half as much as WW even though it came out months after the Wii version

WWfags will never NOT be salty nobody likes Toon Link and his shovelware games.
>>
>>329937892
>zero difficulty
>empty overworld
>boring sailing
>only two good dungeons
>triforce shard hunting

It's not bad but it's easily the worst of the 3D games.
>>
>charming quests
>memorable story
>excellent combat
>looks great

top kek
>>
>>329936347
>IGN

Anyway, what's with all the WW hate? Can someone explain it to me?
>>
The Zelda franchise has shown time and again that so many people have so many different ideas as to what the "ideal" Zelda title is, that no one can agree on anything. That is primarily why Nintendo has struggled for years to give the fans what they want: because how can they when ever fans can't agree on what they want?
>>
I love wind waker, I love the sailing

The BIG problem is that there isn't enough extra content on the islands, the last dungeon is pure shit and the HD version only tweaked minor small issues instead of revamping the 2nd half of the game.

And WWHD's new lighting literally ruined the cel shading because it doesn't enforce two tone shading. It goes from looking like 70's Toei Anime movie to a shitty CG cartoon where the gradients betray how low poly shit is.

Twilight princess fucked up because the game was way way too grey, used that shitty mid 2000's bloom shader, had an empty overworld that had no reason to be empty. At least on WW you could put the controller down and make some coffee.

To contrast with the N64 games, worlds were small so low content could at least be paced well, and the artstykes could be realistic but stylized and could be nice and bright and dark and fucked up like the bottom of the well.

Even OG wind waker had those horrifying redeads with the red eyes. TP'S art design is too middling. Shit, if they added WWHD's shadowing system to TP that would have actually helped it.
>>
>>329938872
TP babies need to defend their first zelda game.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 485x443) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 485x443
Can we talk sbout how shitty standard enemies are In WW?
>>
>>329938484
4/5 of the things you listed apply to the other 3d zeldas too
>>
>didnt have a gigantic, boring ocean

Id say it succeeded right off the bat
>>
>>329938484
Wind Waker has good dungeons? I thought they were all complete shit after playing WWHD.
>>
>>329939507
Fans were pretty much always agreed what they want.

Then Wind Waker happened.
>>
>>329939507
This sort of thing happens with any long running franchise with a large fan base.

Personally, I like all of the main games in the series, starting with the original that I played when I was kid. I have my favorites, but haven't played a main Zelda game I disliked.
>>
>>329938484
>>zero difficulty
It wasn't trying to be difficult, the difficulty matches the art style and atmosphere, seems more like a personal problem than actual criticism.

>>empty overworld
Nice meme. Its overworld contains a puzzle block island, an island that uses a golf course for navigation, plateau isles connected by caves, and several more islands that are basically puzzles in themselves. 90% of the caves and mini-dungeons are distinct and unique; the Chu Chu nest and the sunken ship just to name a couple. Even though a lot of these places require specific items, the world is laid out in such a way that you don't need to navigate through one area to get to another - you can just sail straight to it. If we exclude the occasional "it's fucking nothing" island and eye reefs, there are still around 40 interesting islands to scour. Additionally on the sea there are sunken platforms and submarines to raid, a cool Ghost Ship to run into, shitloads of treasure maps and chests to dig up, and a few NPCs scattered throughout the overworld such as the scuba divers, old telescope dudes, travelling Goron merchants, and more.

>>triforce shard hunting
There is literally nothing wrong with the final quest of a game about exploration and discovery requiring you to explore most of the world.
>>
>>329936347
Making things based on fan demands usually goes badly. And it was made without any input from one of the most important people to building the atmosphere and characters of the previous games.
>>
OOT > WW > MM > SS = TP
>>
>>329941086
>It wasn't trying to be difficult, the difficulty matches the art style and atmosphere

And you wonder why it alienated the fanbase that existed for over 15 years prior to it.
>>
>>329936743
This is true for the most part but there are some exceptions such as Mass Effect 3.
>>
>>329939881

But they aren't, in fact TWW is the first Zelda that really got 3D combat right and made it fun.
>>
zelda u is taking inspiration from twilight princess
let that sink in
>>
>>329941769
>>shit waker before majora's Mask
Shit tier opinion
>>
>>329941086
>calling out a game for having zero challenge is not valid criticism
You are an idiot.
>>
>>329936347
I never wanted a shit zelda game.
>>
>>329944197
MM should be below TP too
>>
>>329937156
If you're going to give a game a 9.8, though, you might as well give it a 10.
>>
>>329946184
10 implies it's perfect
>>
>>329938484
Zelda II was the last challenging one.
>>
Playing TP for the first time and I'm liking it somewhat more than I did WW or WWHD

Also TPHD seems much better than WWHD because it doesn't look like shit 70% of the time but I never played the original TP
>>
>>329946330
So does 9.8
>>
>>329946330
9.8 means it's flawed somehow
>>
>>329944770
Yeah man, all video games can be judged by One Objective True Standard. EVERY game needs "challenge", even one that's supposed to be a laidback and relaxing experience that intentionally moves forward from the past of the franchise (both in story themes and gameplay).
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.