[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Allright /v/ I need your help. I've always shit on Fire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6
File: Fire-emblem-gba.244106.jpg (137 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Fire-emblem-gba.244106.jpg
137 KB, 640x640
Allright /v/ I need your help.

I've always shit on Fire Emblem. I played the Shadow Dragon and Awakening, and I found them to be about as tactical as sucking dick to get pussy.

I'm a huge strategy fan (Civ V for traditional strat, Disgaea series for SRPGs) and somehow this Rock-Paper-Scissors simulator got insanely popular. Perma-death is a nice touch, but the fact that you're only commands are 'Attack" "Items" "Pair up" and "Do nothing" is fucking disgusting. They could have at least let you defend instead standing there with your thumb up your bishonen ass.

So my question is this: I have $10 bucks and a Wii U.
Does Fire Emblem deserve a third chance?
I try not to shit on games without good reason, and I feel like I still haven't given a fair shake. I never beat the two games I did play.
I can either buy "Fire Emblem" (The GBA one)
Or "Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance" (Never played it, but FF V is my favorite FF, because I have a huge chocoboner for the job system)

TL;DR:

IS FIRE EMBLEM SHIT?
>>
Sounds like you will love FFT, family.
The job system is a huge part of what makes that game, also the story is supreme. I recommend the PSP version since it has those hot cutscenes too and an not Engrish translation.

You could always emulate everything and decide if you like it yourself.
>>
Honestly, I'd go for the original Tactics over Advance, but out of the options you've given it seems to be the better choice.

If you've really got a strategy itch to scratch though, Advance Wars may be more up your street.
>>
Why does Japan hate FE7 so much?
>>
>>329884376

Fire emblem past the one in your image gets incredibly fucking easy barring the lmaodifficulty presented in lunatic in awakening.

FFT was pretty good. Go in blind. Also look at XCOM Long War (fuck xcom2 atm)
>>
>>329884376
FE has always been more streamlined then most SRPGs. They mostly tend to stick to what works for it.

Honesty? You should go for FFTA. It's considered pretty easy and the judge system is very mixed. But if you like the Job system you'll love FFTA(And the Original FFT for that matter)
>>
>>329884527
>>329884581
I heard the PSP one was good, might try that instead. (If I do go FFT)

I also have a Vita and a 3DS.

I'm in college to be a game dev, so I don't really like pirating, out of principle, I only do it if the game is impossible to get any more, or never saw a western release.

>>329884669
Yeah I felt like FE was just attack-heal-attack-heal. With rock-paper-scissors weapons.
Always wanted to try xcom. I was born in 1995 so PC wasn't really my go to for a while. All about PSX and N64 in those days.
>>
File: 1453736209281.gif (1 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1453736209281.gif
1 MB, 300x200
>>329884736
>Forbidden: Damage to enemies
>>
>>329884891
If you're doing the PSP thing, make sure it's the patched iso to remove the slowdown.

Also worth giving the older Tactics Ogre and Front Missions a try as well if you're heading in that direction.

The Etrian Odyssey series is also worth looking into if you like your team building class based JRPGS. Map making isn't to everyone's liking however.
>>
>>329884891
>I don't really like pirating, out of principle
Devs don't see a penny from second hand sales so you shouldn't buy second hand out of that same principle.
These games are long out of production, I know FFT is on the PSN though so you can buy it there and support people.
I have no idea if FE7 is on VC or not.
>>
>>329885105
Yeah. I've played Etrian 1's remake, love building teams, but I end up putting on auto-map and walking into ever wall and over every spike. Also not a huge fan of random encounters. Even in FFV it's kinda annoying

>>329885123
I almost always buy digital. So I don't really do second-hand. Use to do both pirating and second hand as a kid, but nowadays, I just buy new copies of everything.
...in hindsight, this principle may have resulted in my $10 budget.
>>
So what would you guys recommend?

FFT:Advance or the PSP remake?
Kinda reluctant to get the remake. Disgaea 4's kinda filled up my Vita's SRPG role (D4 might just be my favorite game of all time)

I kinda want to play a new SRPG series on a new system (been playing Disgaea consistently for about 8 years, need something fresh). But if the original is 10 times better than advance, i'll definitely go with the superior game
>>
>>329885871
War of the Lions has a much better story and chocobos
FFT:A is good too I guess

Get the one you like the look of more, they're different games. The PS1 version is just outdated and the DS game is trash.
>>
>>329885871
They only differences in the remake compared to the original are a few new battles. Two new classes(That are just kinda there) Two new characters. And a redone translation. And some small fixes to the battle system.

Personally I liked the PS1 version slightly more but I'm just odd like that.
>>
I would highly highly recommend the game in your picture OP. Probably the best Fire Emblem game, just the right amount of challenge, with likeable characters and a good if a bit simple story.
>>
>>329886497
But what about the strategic gameplay?
That's what's most important here. I want a game where I have a lot of options.
Fire Emblem always seems to have only one viable strategy.

Is the one in my OP better about that? Options make a strategy game...strategic.
>>
>>329884669
Radiant Dawn, and FE12 are a decent difficulty.
>>
>>329886868
It's the same rock paper scissor thing you don't like.
>>
>>329886868
There's the weapon triangle, magic triangle, bow classes, who you pair, why you pair them, who you build supports with, and what units you actually use.
You also obviously control how you play out each map.

I'm not sure I know what you mean.
>>
>>329886108
PS1 version doesn't have this though.
>>
>>329887350
Whoops. I forgot the cutscenes.
>>
Not OP, but I figure I'll ask here.

Which Fire Emblem game is the best to start with? I pretty much have all of them available to me through emulation, and I have a 3DS so I can play the newest games.
>>
>>329885871
FFTA is a completely different game than FFT.

FFT is also 10x better than FFTA.
>>
>>329888481
7 (OP's pic) comes with a 10 chapter tutorial, as good way to teach you the basic mechanics
Sacred Stones is easier overall, has a better cast in supports, and has a world map so you can grind.
Path of Radiance is around the same difficulty as Sacred Stones, supports are easier to get, and it has base conversations so you'll probably see more of the characters.

tl:dr OP's pic, Sacred Stones also for the GBA, or Path of Radiance for the Gamecube
>>
>>329887343
>Weapon triangle, magic triangle

Those aren't good things. They're not strategic. If you know your opponent has a rock, you always throw paper. There's no strategy in that!

As for pairing up, it does have the impact it should and needs some serious buffing. when I played awakening, all I could think was: "Wow, this is supposed to be better that having two units?"

Look at Disgaea, magichange lets you combine units too, the stat boosts are huge, you gain access to their main passive ability and it doesn't feel arbitrary as it uses the game's weapon and aptitude systems.

All-in-all. The "strategy" in Fire Emblem feels like: choose the weapon that makes you win. Pair up characters only if you're desperate to get some small boost, spam heal/attack until you win.

There was only ever one way to win.
>>
>>329884376
FE5 is far more difficult than any newer Fire Emblem. Maybe give it a shot alongside FE4.
>>
>>329889329
When you have multiple enemies with different weapons it's also figuring out the opportunity cost and which one you'd rather evade
>>
>>329889329
The weapon triangle IS a good thing. You always have a strength and a weakness that you know about. Some weapons reverse the triangle too.
And the map design is very good. It's not as simple as just throwing paper when they have rock if you know someone with scissors would then be in range.
>>
>>329889329
>someone claiming Disgaea kusoge is better than Fire Emblem
Now I've seen everything.
>>
File: laughing douchebags.jpg (86 KB, 475x330) Image search: [Google]
laughing douchebags.jpg
86 KB, 475x330
>>329889329
>Pair-up needs to be buffed
>in Awakening
>>
>>329889502
>>329889503
>>329889695
>>329889810

You know what would be a better way to balance your weapons? Actually balancing them,
Not just an arbitrary 'this type beats that type' bow about you let the games stats do their fucking jobs.

But I'm nothing if not open-minded.
Fuck it, I don't need to eat tomorrow. I'll by both!
By the time Spring break is over. I'll have beaten both and I will decide which is shit.

See you in two weeks.
My money's on Fire Emblem being shit
>>
>>329891194
I will just tell you that FFT is one of my favorite games of all time so have fun.
>>
>>329891257
With Tactics? I'm not worried about it sucking.
>>
>>329884376
>Disgaea series for SRPG
my nigga
>but FF V is my favorite FF, because I have a huge chocoboner for the job system
MY NIGGEST
play the original FFT, Advance improves the jobs a little but the quest system is a disaster
>>
>>329891445
Sorry, went with advance. If I'm going to compare two games, I've got to do it on as even a playing field as possible. No way I'm going to let someone cry "hardware limitations" on any criticisms.

But I appreciate the God-tier taste.
>>
>>329884664
Forced tutorial
>>
>>329884376
>the fact that you're only commands are 'Attack" "Items" "Pair up" and "Do nothing" is fucking disgusting

more options != better game
>>
I've played three different FE games and I always get bored.

The perma-death mechanic is kind of neat I guess but honestly it doesn't fit the rest of the game. When a character dies you're basically permanently losing content, all characters are unique and can't be replaced. So there's no reason not to reset every time, unless it's a second playthrough and you've already experienced everything and know which characters you're going to use.

Also, the gameplay itself is rather simplistic. Strategy basically involves "abuse the weapon triangle", "don't be retarded with your unit placements" and "paladins are overpowered".

>>329891793

You know that Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced are different games, right? FFT was originally on the PS1, then it got a PSP port. FFTA is a spin-off, and was on GBA. There's also FFTA2 on DS.
>>
>>329884376
Fire Emblem is good, but if your favorite FF is V, you MUST play FFTA.
>>
Just play Fates. It's the most strategic the series has been since Radiant Dawn. Some would argue Lunatic Conquest is harder than Thracia 776 while being less BS.
>>
>>329891793
Hardware limitations don't have anything to do with FFTA being a shitty game. It was easy and the quests were shit.
>>
>>329891194
They are balanced though. Swords are accurate but weak, axes are strong but clumsy, and lances are middle of the road.
>>
File: 78458988.jpg (96 KB, 338x507) Image search: [Google]
78458988.jpg
96 KB, 338x507
>>329884376
>I played the Shadow Dragon and Awakening,

>Hey guys, I played the two worst games in the franchise by far, does the franchise suck?
>>
>>329891194
>>329884376

Sounds like you're retarded and don't know how to play the game. You probably played on Easy.

The weapon triangle amounts to all of 10% difference in accuracy and, in some games, 1 HP more or less damage. Calling that rock paper scissors is pretty asinine.

Aside from Awakening which is broken in multiple ways, Fire Emblem is extremely strategic, you probably just weren't smart enough to take advantage of it.

Especially judging by your enjoying Civ V and Disgaea, both games devoid of strategy where everything is about having bigger numbers.
>>
>>329892519
>mfw both 11 and 13 are two of my favorites of the franchise
>>
>>329893946
>>
>>329884376
This one is one of the best in the series IMO, Shadow Dragon is without a doubt the worst and Awakening (despite being a decent game) is a close second.
Play it, it's really good, although you should try not to use Marcus because the game will fuck you in the end if you do. It's best to play it with the wiki imo.

You could also play Fates (the newest one) which adds a lot of depth to the combat. Conquest is the better of two versions, Revelations (DLC) is also good. Although be aware that the game has a god awful dub, bad localization changes and the game is a bona fide visual novel so audio is really important.
>>
>>329894393
>Shadow Dragon is without a doubt the worst and Awakening (despite being a decent game) is a close second.
Honestly I'd say Awakening is worse than Shadow Dragon.
It has everything that made SD bad, and then some extra bad things on top of that
>>
>>329894452
But at least Awakening has a fun story, characters, looks "good" and has a pretty great soundtrack. Shadow Dragon is bad all around
>>
>>329894523
>has a fun story,
The time traveling children ruin it for me
>>
>>329894598
>The time traveling children ruin it for me
that's the best part especially Severa
>>
>>329894523
Awakening's writing is dogshit and 1/3 of the game is filler.
>>
>>329894781

still better than Fates' story.
>>
>>329895739
Fates story sucks, but Awakenings is the worst in FE history
>>
Fire Emblem is just weird

its like an SRPG and a tactics game but also not either at all
>>
>FFT has an amazing storyline
>Hey let's do a gritty medieval war drama NO WAIT DEMONS STOLE MUH GIRLFRIEND
>>
>>329894523
>looks good
Were we not looking at the same artwork and character sprites?
>>
Play Shining Force 2 on hardest difficulty with promotions at level 20 without ever dying or egressing if you want a challenging tactical rpg.
>>
>>329884376
>Rock-Paper-Scissors simulator

The weapon triangle doesn't actually effect the game that much, it gives you a bit of hit rate and 1 or 2 points of damage at best. If you're talking about effective weapons or using magic on low Res enemies then sure, but those have other consequences.
>>
>>329899430
Go play on any difficulty over baby mode and tell me weapon choice doesn't matter; you fucking retard
>>
>>329899713
I'm not sure what you mean? Most strategies for higher difficulties involve abusing 1 OP weapon like the Javelin or Killing Edge and disregarding the triangle completely
>>
>>329884891
There is literally nothing wrong with emulating a game just try it out. You seem like an honest guy that will buy the game later if you genuinely enjoyed it. Paying money for a game you don't have much faith is probably just going to ruin it for you.
>>
>>329899805
No they involve actual strategy and unit placement
The games never get that hard anyway, excluding maybe POR
>>
>>329884376

>strategy
>Disgaea
>>
>>329899951
>they involve actual strategy and unit placement

Unit placement is important but as far as weapons go you mainly stick with 1 or 2. Take PoR for example, you'll typically want to beef up Marcia and hand her a lot of Javelins
>>
>>329899951
>the games never get that hard excluding PoR
You meant to type Thracia 776, FE12, or RD here surely?
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.