[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think about roleplaying in games? When a game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: 1341004434691.jpg (115 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1341004434691.jpg
115 KB, 500x500
What do you guys think about roleplaying in games? When a game offers you to choose a name and character, do you build yourself, or do you build some random dude?
I recently played a bit of stardew valley and I noticed that i made the character look like me, but I gave him my online moniker as a name.
How often do you ACTUALLY make a new character for your RPG style games?
>>
File: 1438337378866.png (486 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1438337378866.png
486 KB, 1000x1000
>>329802586
I never self insert and make him avatar always a barbarian like beareded survival fagget because I'm an average joe who doesn't grow facial hair and I am swimmer type despite eating protein out the fucking ass and trying to gain mass

also if secondary anime grills with STR builds because fuck you

I'm saving self inserting for the time magic or technology allows me to be like a fantasy type character
>>
>>329802586
I always just make a whole bunch of characters and restrict myself to certain things, especially in Dark Souls.
I made a strong man that uses only Caestus and the Bone fist, a caveman that is always naked with the prisoner's waistcloth, no shield, club only, etc.
>>
>>329802586
i usually think of a a character and what he does, may do, thinks of things and wants to in the end and try to stay in charcter for the game. i never self insert
>>
>>329802823
I fucking love making super bearded men as my avatars, dwarves in particular, something about playing as a stocky muscular bearded angry man is great
>>
I think of a general personality and stick to it unless it's wayyy more convenient

Like when I play Dark Souls I go sunbro and never kill Priscilla, but I switch covenant to unlock Lost Izalith's shortcut when I reach that point.
>>
>>329803359
basically this. too bad souls games don't let you adjust character height
>>
>>329803386
I can never get people who play evil characters in games, I just can't bring myself to do awful things, like killing solaire pre emptively or killing priscilla.
>>
>>329803082
DaS2 really lets you play as a fisticuff character too, shame they got rid of the cooler movesets of that game
>>
I don't make str based characters because I'm not particularly strong. I usually make agi/int characters because I'm the slim kinda guy
>>
>>329803556
They are intelligent, nihilistic with a wicked sense of humor
Like me.
>>
>>329802586
I usually make characters that sort of look like me: white guys with reddish brown hair. Depends on the game though, sometimes I enjoy making player characters look like a certain type of person.
>>
>>329803818
>shame they got rid of the cooler movesets of that game
wut?
>>
>>329804425
A while back they found out that you had some really cool movesets for the fisticuff ring, that'd let you do some cool hit combos, kicks, stuff like that, but they got rid of them for more vanilla stuff apparently
>>
>>329802586
I never self insert or create stories for my characters. I just think its stupid and pointless.

I usually pick what looks best anyway. For example in Souls, I pick male or female if it looks better or worse. In 1, males looked better, in 2 and BB females looked better. I don't really care as long as I look good.
>>
>>329804707
I think they might've moved that onto a DLC weapon called the "Bone Fist". You can do jumping uppercuts, flying kicks, and shoot hadoukens with that shit
>>
>>329804707
what about Bone fist? they basically gave you godly fight powers with that
>>
>>329804707
bone fist? it's still there. and i'm doing a run to use it as we speak. it's glorious in combination with the lance.
>mfw jumpcharge into a dropkick foloowed by a good oldfashioned hadouken
>>
>>329802586
i always play as Bill the Cunt Destroyer, the role I also play in my real life story. It's disappointing when people online get annoyed by my handle, but I can't ignore my calling.
>>
>>329805434
How do you destroy cunts?
>>
>>329805520
like every australian. punch people
>>
File: desire to know more.png (325 KB, 382x417) Image search: [Google]
desire to know more.png
325 KB, 382x417
>>329802586

I'm boring. Why would I want to play myself when I can create a character far more interesting?
>>
>>329802586
I run a whole slew different OCDONUTSTEEL character's with specific builds covering all the basic arch types of most fantasy games (paladin, giant sword warrior, etc.). The characters are mostly bassed around characters I ran in DnD, characters I wanted to run, but never had a a chance to, and characters who I aspire to be
>>
>>329803921
haha, oh my
>>
>>329802586
If the game lets me create a character, 9 times outta 10 they get a name, a head canon to fill in whatever gaps the backstory doesn't cover and I try to play them as in character as possible.
The only time I ever tried to self-insert I got drunk and pushed off a roof.
>>
>>329805862
>mfw i self inserted in new vegas
>i didn't last 2h
>>
>>329803556
>I can never get people who play evil characters in games

Dark Souls is a really bad example of a game for you to try and apply binary morality onto. The whole of the game is painted in grey hues and not ever really knowing if what you're doing is helping or making things worse.

Spiderbutt and her sister is a great example of that in my opinion. Killing Solaire is it's own punishment in and of itself since the only lasting consequence is not being able to summon him which is what makes it interesting that they even let you do it.
>>
>>329806001
>what makes it interesting that they even let you do it.
not every dev is bethesda
>>
>>329802586
this is good fashion, one of the best
>>
>>329806001
Generally speaking there aren't a lot of PURE BLACK characters in the story. I don't consider "doing something for the character that ends up causing him to die" like in laurencius's case an immoral act, just because you can't really know what the repercussions of your actions are. The only really shit evil characters in the story are the ones where it's pretty obvious up front that they're fucking assholes, like lautrec, so i disagree, if you go and murder solaire you're a fucking asshole.
>>
>>329806136
>not every dev is bethesda
If Dark Souls was a bethesda game, Solaire would be flagged as essential.
>>
>>329806334
that's what i meant, genius
>>
>>329806001
I will never stop being butthurt about the fact that doesn't let you kill key characters. I don't think there's anything more immersion breaking than characters that you arbitrarily can't kill because they'd break the story. I don't even understand the point of this, if Morrowind was like "hey fucker you fucked up, are you sure you want to continue", why can't they give you the same option for later games? Are casuals THAT stupid?
>>
>>329802586
I build myself, then discover after 2 hours of character making that my nose looks like shit from certain angles in conversations and game has no 'looks import code' (like mass effect) and return to making it from scratch until I get it right.
>>
>>329806520
What's the better option?
>>
>>329806601
I love having looks export, it's such a cool feature.

>>329806673
Letting you kill the character and telling you that you fucked up is the best concession, in my opinion. What is the point of a ROLE PLAYING game if the game limits you from playing the role you made for yourself?
>>
>>329806673
build the character probably and convey his role in the world. if the player still decides to kill him, though titties then
>>
>>329806867
*properly
>>
>>329802586
I don't roleplay in games but I do like to give a "flavor" to my characters, for example if I make a mage character on Dark Souls I'll wear mage robes instead of plate armor, even if it doesn't give me any advantage.
>>
>>329802586
i self insert and play as my true self, a cute independent girl.
>>
>>329803556
I'm curious how many people would've fought Priscilla if there wasn't an achievement for killing her
>>
>>329806985
That's true roleplaying though

>>329807282
I fought priscilla because i didn't believe that jumping down the cliff was the way out of the painted world, and I felt really bad afterwards. The game just fucks with you, especially if you encountered patches before her. Why should you believe her? How are the inhabitants of the painted world kind?
>>
>>329807375
how cant you trust this fluffy tail
>>
>>329807462
How can you trust someone who literally told you a lie a few seconds earlier?
>>
>>329802586
99% of the time my first play through will be a self insert who looks somewhat like me and acts and makes decisions based on how I actually feel. If I really like the game and it has good replay value (choices make a huge difference, there is still more to explore, playing as different classes changes the game alot, has multiple paths through the same quests, etc,etc) then l will probably play it many times over and use the subsequent play throughs to role play non self insert characters.
>>
>>329807375
It's not like death is permanent is DaS, you could've tried once and if it didn't work out you'd kill her next time.
>>
>>329802586
What's up with this new game everyone is talking about?

Is it better than Harvest Moon?

More waifus?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.