[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of mobile games does /v/ like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9
File: Multi_Bomb.webm (798 KB, 336x542) Image search: [Google]
Multi_Bomb.webm
798 KB, 336x542
A game developer here, i was wondering what kind of mobile games you guys like and why.

I see idle games becoming a bigger trend over time, I wonder how long it takes before there are good hybrid genres for it, I am also considering making one now, with a unique twist.

Image is of one of the projects I have worked on. (old image: keypad is already better designed now)
>>
>>329776905
>idle game
>hybrid
how, it's a very specific genre of game where you don't play it. Any other genre has some playability function to it. The only strategy is pure mathematical efficiency. Introducing pretty much anything else fundamentally changes it to be something else.
>>
>>329777003

Yes, but you could argue that this can be combined with RPG elements (That unfolds when you are idle), but gives a boost when you are playing it.

Botting in a game like Diablo 3, for me could be seen as a idle game.
>>
Pixel Dungeon is alright I guess. Roguelikes seem to fit mobile well.
>>
Idle games are garbage, for the love of god don't put your talents toward making another one of those.
>>
None really. Played FF Record Keeper and some others for a while and they all got dull within a few hours.

Downwell is an okay timewaster but uses too much battery power.
>>
>>329777667
I have worked on a rogue-like game for mobile last summer. Never continued with it tough.
Here is a video of a early version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=548h_9p6Gbs
>>
>>329777842

I do agree with you, I don't like to play them either since they feel like a waste of time for me,
it is directly clear how far you will be in the game after a week, since it is just numbers going up.

That is why I want to make one that is worth it.
>>
>>329776905
Game like Hitman Go or Monument Valley
>>
>>329776905
Vlambeer is cool
>>
File: Hermitcrab.gif (141 KB, 266x267) Image search: [Google]
Hermitcrab.gif
141 KB, 266x267
I like games that reuse assets from dead franchises I used to enjoy.
>>
>>329778859
I agree, these are really good.
For me its too big of a scope to create, would need to gather some people that want to work with me to achieve this kind of quality.

>>329779064
Yes! All the stuff they have is really innovative and well designed, They practically invented screen shake.

>>329779151
Are these assets free to use or available by creative commons? Or do you mean games that have been resurrected?
>>
Where the fuck is the english release for Granblue Fantasy? Was supposed to be March but there's not a single bit of recent news about it.
>>
>>329779651
Resurrected I guess. I assume you've heard of Metal Slug, the latest game was a mobile tower defence game.
>>
I have chess instaled on my phone.
And nine men's morris
And endless doves
>>
>>329779935
Yes I have, really love the art of metal slug games. Stunning pixel art and animations.

Could you tell me the name of that mobile tower defence game? I am curious now.
>>
Does mobage count?
>>
Hachi Hachi is a fun rhythm game.
>>
JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN PLAY IN SHORT BURSTS THAT IS ACTUALLY FUN LIKE TETRIS
LIKE HOLY SHIT WHY ARE ALL MOBILE GAMES SO FUCKING SHIT
>>
>>329779849
March, apparently. If it comes out the 10th, its a nice anniversary gift.
>>
Make a game that rewards me points for secretly filming up girl's skirts with my phone.
>>
>>329780171
There were two, Metal Slug Defense which was released a few years ago I think and Metal Slug Attack which was released recently. Both are fun if you want to waste time, Defense is leagues better but that's to be expected right now.
>>
Playing clash Royale. It's fun because it has some strategy to it, also you play it every now and then. I got really into Cytus/Deemo because I like music games. I would like more games like these, that use the touch screen not as a controller with display buttons but as a medium itself.

Also no fucking game uses more than the touchscreen of the cellphone, I would love a pokemon style game that uses your GPS position for example
>>
>>329779849
>>329780315
But will it have crossovers?
>>
>>329780496
It's the same game, just with english text. So there will be no issue with licensing. We're getting all the same content as the JP version.
>>
Are there any city builders or the like on mobile?
The old Sim City would be great
>>
>>329780547
I might have to get interested in that game. I should've done that ages ago but thanks for the heads up anon.
>>
>>329780386
Would be quite a tech heavy project, detecting the shapes and all without having any cheating.

I would make it so you get extra points for the size of the booty, multiplied by the color of the panties. Also more screen coverage is more points.

But really, I don't think any of the publishing parties want this on they're platform
>>
>>329778150
Not him, but you should show this to /rlg/ and ask them what they'd like to see in a mobile roguelike. The genre is perfect for phones.
>>
What I've always wanted to see OP was an idle-strategy game. Imagine you have a town/settlement and it'll run itself and gain resources while you're away, but while you're playing you can allocate resources to certain city infrastructure and build an army for conquering neighboring towns. Conquer villages, increase population, manage territory, and so on. Just a bunch of numbers getting bigger and bigger.

I imagine the "clicker" part of the idle game would involve increased resource production whilst outside war and while waging war clicking would speed up the process and tip the odds of success in your favor ever so slightly.

Slap a quirky theme on it, open up a cash shop for the lazy, and bingo. You got a successful game.

(Furthermore I've always wanted to see a snide and sarcastic strategy game with a necromancy theme. Start out as a thin, nerdy, pasty necromancer summoning his first skely and work your way to dominating the world with cities of the undead just living their un-lives under your rule)
>>
>>329780439
I am going to check it out. Looks very cool.

>>329780494
Yeah, the problem with mobile and buttons is that mobile phones don't really have a lot of ways to convey feedback back to the player in comparison to a controller. Good advice for using the screen as a medium.
Also Pokemon Go is what you are looking for, still needs to be released.
>>
File: Imasu-Starlight_09-10-15.jpg (87 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
Imasu-Starlight_09-10-15.jpg
87 KB, 600x338
This.
>>
File: sexy_legs.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sexy_legs.jpg
108 KB, 1280x720
The Battle Cats!
>>
>>329776905
MMA Manager
>>
>>329781124
This.
>>
File: image.jpg (471 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
471 KB, 1334x750
>>329779151
I do love me some MSD
>>
>>329780795
I remember playing browser games like this 10 years back. I am pretty sure these type of games are already very present in the mobile scene. But I will still look into it more.

Good point about the theme, I think that would work very nicely, very cool idea.

>>329780695
I will definitely look into it, Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>329781408
>all those lovely mechs
I sure do love MSA using a gacha system. At least grinding is fun.
>>
>>329781490
Yeah, I wanted to do a theme build so I would only unlock the mechs to have a all mech team.
>>
File: image.jpg (458 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
458 KB, 1334x750
>>329781594
Also managed to grab this guy.
>>
>>329776905
I like games that are simple and casual. I'm not gonna sit down and play fucking Vice City on my phone because I have a computer for that shit. I play games on my phone when I take a shit or when I have a few minutes to spare and nothing to do.

I play a lot of classical games like Patience or Mahjong on my phone since they control and work fairly well for the format.

Like stay away from reactive games that require good controls, and stay away from on screen control keys like fake d-pads and shit like that.
>>
>>329781664
MSA has a long way to catch up. That's really cool, are most of the mechs even viable? See you in hell...
>>
>>329781487
You'd think there would be a lot of games like it on the mobile market but there are surprisingly few. Tossing in the gimmick of idle/clicker mechanics would probably put the content creator af a certain edge over other similar games.

Also OP I urge you to take a glance at the game Godville. It's exactly the hybrid idle-RPG you mentioned earlier in this thread. A terribly underrated game as it's really charming and very interesting in concept and design.
>>
fallout shelter, battlecats, the rick&morty game, that flying duck game when you need to get past the pipes.
thats about it, played clash of clans for a while, but having to wait a week for a upgrade to finish is bullshit and its obvious that you need to spend money at some point because you hit a wall.
>>
File: image.jpg (469 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
469 KB, 1334x750
>>329781757
The more expensive Mechs are pretty good, the cheaper ones are pretty much for spamming

This guy here is probably my best unit outside the super expensive ones.

His dash attack one shots pretty much anything human sized outside boss units
>>
File: Ring_Laser_Mecha.gif (107 KB, 107x133) Image search: [Google]
Ring_Laser_Mecha.gif
107 KB, 107x133
>>329782158
That's dope. I need more mechs and even robots in my life.
>>
>>329781716
Thank you for the advice,
I think those type of games have the biggest target audience, although it is worth experimenting new types of games like this.

>>329781818
This is good to know, thank you.
Also thanks for mentioning Godville, I think a game like this would become very popular if it had more graphics to it. It is certainly a good point of inspiration for my idea.
Also, I have to go now. Might come back after some hours, depending on if the thread is still alive. Thanks everybody.
>>
>>329782707
Godspeed
>>
>>329782461
>>329781757

Oh wait, I didn't realize there was another game. I thought you were talking about something else...

I just looked up MSA.

Damn, should I switch to Attack or stick with defense?
>>
Mobile are games are pure garbage.
>>
I can't get slashy souls off the playstore in the UK.

Fuck.
>>
>>329783308
Metal Slug Attack has a lot of issues right now and the loading times are awful. As with Defense, some units are unbalanced (oddly enough, shield soldiers are OP as fuck with luck) and there hasn't been much in terms of updates so far. Like I mentioned earlier, the units are unlocked via gacha now so you can't pick your favourites. You can however grind to unlock them but some of the grind spots are really late in the game. The upside to this is that you try all the units available and the leveling system is fun, you can upgrade your units and focus on certain abilities. For example, Marco has an ability to unlock where every basic attack he does is his HMG special.
Your units don't transfer so you have to start from scratch and building up a big team right now can be daunting if that impedes you. The advertise smoother controls but I'm not seeing a difference. You should give it a shot at least, you unlock all the new features relatively early on so you can see what you'll be getting.

Holy shit I didn't mean to type out that much tl;dr Defence is better right now but probably because it's older but the new features and leveling should be enough to at least try Attack
>>
>>329783853
I have to into proper sentence structure one of these days too.
>>
>>329783853
Neat, I'm downloading it now.

Kinda feel bad about starting new after building up my team, but I guess I could play both if I like it until my team on Attack gets better
>>
DQ ports
>>
File: wartortoisestill.png (272 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
wartortoisestill.png
272 KB, 480x270
>>329776905
I play a lot of mobile games. A lot.

Now, what do you mean by "idle game"? You either mean games with shitty wait timers while you build bases or whatever, or you mean clickers. I've noticed a surge of clicker games somewhat recently and they're alright. Tap Titans is okay. I really liked Undead Clicker but for whatever reason it stopped working for me and won't get past the first loading screen. Tap Champions of Su Mon Smash is one that has nice visuals since it's a spinoff of an infinity blade clone with mutant animals. These are fine but I don't really see how they're profitable outside of opt-in ads that give rewards, as with all of these games I found the best strategy is just to not play it for a few days to collect a bunch of cash at once, which is easy given that people play mobile games differently than any other kind of game.

If we're talking hybrid genres with the latter, it's kinda already happening. Decent mobile developer Foursaken are making a clicker game with auto dps etc, but replace the mindless clicking with third person shooting.

I'm up for any mobile game, even console ports and such, but the ones I play most are ones I can play on-and-off. In short bursts, while waiting for the bus, when I could be interrupted by a phone call at any time.

Turn-based games like roguelikes and tactics strategy, arcade-y endless runners and dual stick shooters, they all fit pretty well into the bite-sized chunks that people consume mobile games. Especially if it's the kind of game you can play with one hand, like your maths shooter game there. Simple puzzle games like Battle Gems and stuff like Letter Quest, they're pretty well suited to mobile play.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.