[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Xenogears
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
File: Xenogears_box.jpg (86 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
Xenogears_box.jpg
86 KB, 256x240
Just started playing this game yesterday. What are /v/'s opinions about it?
>>
I have about 30 hours in disc 1, and I gotta say its hard having a break. I come back a few weeks and I start to forget the finer plot details.
>>
>>329776640
Its good but too ambituous
>>
>>329776640
good until the 2nd disk.
>>
disk 1 - great
disk 2 - euafywendf2uy498124serfh,n237r9qwmyrseui235m5hq38rheoghawtoy
>>
File: 1402816064230.jpg (44 KB, 400x434) Image search: [Google]
1402816064230.jpg
44 KB, 400x434
The wildest ride in jRPGs
>>
Met bart the last time I played which was probably 3-5 days ago. It's fun, but still feels like I'm playing an ff7 romhack. I think if I played xenogears when I was younger I would have had a lot more fun with it
>>
File: 1425010690086.jpg (68 KB, 512x695) Image search: [Google]
1425010690086.jpg
68 KB, 512x695
I hope you like everyone sitting a chair.
>>
>>329776640
I find it ironic that a game that is basically the Evangelion of video games had exactly the same financial issues that caused the end part to be low budget and cobbled together.
>>
>>329776640
>platforming
>combat is mostly spamming the strongest deathblow
>high encounter rate
>low enemy variety
>boring dungeons
>text crawl
>unfinished second disc

the story is ambitious but poorly told and paced
the gear combat is okay I guess, at least you have the option to refuel
the gear fighting mini game is the best thing in the game tho
>>
>>329776640
Fei is Billy.
>>
>>329776640
Wait until disk 2 it gets much better fem
>>
>Prison sewer level
>Babel tower
>>
from what i've seen and read it seems like disc 1 is 2/3 of the total game. is this true? or does disc 2 contain even more?
>>
File: 36005018.jpg (2 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
36005018.jpg
2 MB, 2000x2000
>>329778235
>Platforming in Xenogears
Nope.
>>
>>329778314
It'd say it's more 3/4 to be honest. Disc 2 has more walls of text than a Buckley comic strip.
>>
Xenogears is a bad videogame. The story has some neat ideas and I wish they could have made a better game out of it.
>>
BOY GET OUT BEFORE YOU GET SPOILED
>>
Okay okay, OP here.

So basically disc 1 is awesome but disc 2 is unfinished.
It had financial issues due to low budget.

But it's the Evangelion of videogames.

I have the feeling I'll like it.
>>
>>329779398
>But it's the Evangelion of videogames.
>Evangelion
No it's not. It's Star Wars mixed with Gnosticism. Xenoblade X continued the trend, there's a race that does nothing but live off of garbage and they even wear gear that hides their features. Sound familiar?
>>
>>329779398
>So basically disc 1 is awesome
It isn't.
>>
>>329779538
>>329779554
Why do I read so-different opinions about this game?
>>
>>329779398
Don't listen to >>329779554
Disk one is awesome as fuck
And disc 2 is fine, the only thing I had a problem with was that some characters didn't get their arcs, like the green guy who was obviously supposed to settle things with his dad but didn't
Play it for yourself and find out, it's too great to miss out on
>>
>>329779751
Okay, so that's why some people said "disc 2 was unfinished".
I see, I'll surely play it and see it for myself
>>
>>329779751
>Disk one is awesome as fuck
In what world is disk one good?
The combat is shit, the world is shit and barren, there's barely any side content, the writing/translation is awful, the text is slow as all hell and the whole thing is fucking ridiculously formularic for the first half.
Seriously, the game is not worth spending like 50+ hours on to beat it.
Seriously, just read a lets play.
>>
>>329779741
Because it's not for everyone. It filled the RPG niche in the Playstation back in its day, which is how I played it. I've been searching for a JRPG with something like its heavy background and length ever since then.

I still have my CDs.
>>
>>329779398
>disc 1 is awesome

ehh, it's more bearable than 2
>>
good traditional jrpg

but traditional jrpgs are a pretty bad genre.
>>
>>329779976
In your opinion
There are a shitload of people who fucking love the game
Let him figure out his own opinion
>>
>>329780274
>traditional jrpgs are a pretty bad genre

nah, but I can understand how you'd come to that conclusion after playing games like xenogears
>>
>>329779538
It's Evangelion, how can you pretend it's not?
>psychological issues
>religious symbolism
>ascending to godhood to escape suffering spearheaded by guy who lost the love of his life
>illuminati
>mecha
Its NGE with a more fantasy leaning and actually does something with religion outside of cheap visual themes.
>>
>/v/ now hates xenogears
Holy shit neo /v/ is real
>>
>>329776640
Disc one was pretty fun, disc two kind of shits the bed though.
>>
>>329780521
also
>second half got fucked by budget
>>
>>329780521
FEI GET IN THE GIANT ROBOT
>>
>>329780435
Even loving the fucking game is still no reason to tell people to sit through 50 hours of shit to experience the 5 hours of interesting story the game actually has.
Because the only thing this game has compared to other jrpgs from the time are some admittedly pretty damn cool story concepts.
But that is it. Everything else is absolutely sub-par.
>>
>>329780659
If he wants to drop it let him drop it
I personally was hooked on every little sidestory and subarc, played it non stop for a week. The main plot at the end is just a drop in the ocean in the narrative of the thing, in my opinion you could make a good story just by taking the rebellion of Bart, or Fei and Elly being stranded, or the Polaris infiltration. Those are all interesting/. amazing moments, not just the evangelionesque stuff of the second disc
>>
I was replaying it not a long time ago and jesus, my nostalgia goggles were fucking shattered. It's an unfinished game written by a pretentious hack who drops allusions to religion and psychoanalysis left and right which you can safely remove without any damage to mediocre story. Goes to complete shit on a second disc and overall really overrated, with immense amount of world building being the only interesting thing about it even though 90% of it is left outside of the game. It's like Ergo Proxy of video games, pretentious but empty inside.
>>
>>329780903
>in my opinion you could make a good story just by taking the rebellion of Bart, or Fei and Elly being stranded, or the Polaris infiltration. Those are all interesting/. amazing moments, not just the evangelionesque stuff of the second disc
None of these are any more interesting than anything in any other jrpg from the time. In fact they are almost entirely formularic, besides maybe the infiltration of solaris.
The game has good ideas, but it is neither held together by an interesting world, interesting characters or interesting gameplay.
>>
>>329781016
This desu.
I remember playing it when I was 15 while at a camping trip with my dad and I ate the game up on my PSP in like a week (mind you that wasn't the only thing I was eating up hehe)

It's very incoherent. It just keeps throwing shit on trying to see what will stick. In a way it is like evangelion in a LOT of ways:
redhead girl, mechs + lolreligionphilosophypsychology + amp up more freud psychology + even budget issues during the end.

With so much shit tacked onto it you can really see how they managed to blow the budget, they were reaching far beyond what they could grasp, wanted to make a grimdark Star Wars with lots of character development and sidestories (which is a great thing to attempt), but somewhere along the line realized they don't really have the money to make all that.

I've never played Xenosaga (although I'm itching to play it now though), or Takahashi's other works after Xenogears, never really appealed to me as its too anime and too fan servicey, which is the opposite of what Xenogears tried to do, but goddamn did they fuck shit up with Xenogears.

I really loved the Fei reincarnation plot thingy, and it does explain things a bit here and there in a rational manner, but fuck me they did not deliver.
>>
To be honest I really liked Evangelion, and it's why I got attracted by this game. Not that I'm only looking for Evangelionesqe stuff though, I'm not a fanboy nor stupid.
Making this thread and reading all these opinions just made me more interested in the game
>>
>>329782064

wouldn't say it's a lot like evangelion. shinji and asuka are kind of ordinary teenagers. the characters in xenogears are anime archetypes
>>
File: VM8eJ.png (63 KB, 271x267) Image search: [Google]
VM8eJ.png
63 KB, 271x267
>>329780590
>and here's where I'd show you an awesome dungeon and boss battle
>IF I HAD A BUDGET

>instead here's the characters sitting in a chair under a spotlight
>>
I'm fairly sure most people like Xenogears for what it was meant to be, not what it is.
>>
>>329776640
It's shit
>>
>>329784386
It's not I will dislike that though, I really don't mind
>>
>>329786154

if anything it's more like puella magi madoka magica or tales of the abyss

have similar fans too
>>
>>329776640
I really want to like it, but I've never been able to get more than a few hours in. I just get bored too easily with it I guess
>>
>>329777205
So you're saying they are both over-hyped trash that got a little too big for themselves in the money department?
>>
>>329786710

liked the starting village but came to realize that it was completely irrelevant and had nothing at all to do with anything.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.