[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With all this hype over stardew valley and harvest moon I was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
With all this hype over stardew valley and harvest moon I was wondering what you guys think of the genre in general?

From what I've seen stardew valley seems pretty basic and boring, so I was wondering what's the best of the genre, or just the best of the harvest moon series so that I could go try it out. My friend recommended one of the GBA harvest moons.
>>
>>329675051
Yeah, get yourself some Back to Nature or Friends of Mineral Town (or More Friends of Mineral Town if you wish to be the little girl)

There seems to be a split as to whether people prefer the original Harvest Moon (now called Story of Seasons) series to Rune Factory, which has added dungeon crawling elements. Both have their good points, but I'd recommend getting into Rune Factory at about 3 or 4 as that's when the series really hits its stride.
>>
>>329675241
I think I would be more into RPG aspects, is that what Rune Factory is about? Seems I just totally missed out on this simulation type genre, which ones would you recommend pirating to try and see if I like them?
>>
Man, what I really want is a game similar to Banished. There was something cozy as fuck about a city-building game that revolved around a village.

I need more guys.
>>
>>329675821
Fuck, that's why I need to always use more commas. I don't need more men.
>>
>>329675821
Banished was alright to me, sad they kinda just dropped development. Was kinda bland and boring, was fun for a bit.
>>
>>329675546
Yeah, Rune Factory has more of your RPG-type leveling up and stuff.

Fantasy Life is also worth looking into, as it it has more than just farming, but a whole range of other roles that you can perform for your town.

If you've got a hacked 3ds, then getting the above games isn't a problem. There's also Wii and PS3 incarnations of Rune Factory, though they aren't the best examples of the series.

I'd try Harvest Moon first, it covers enough different platforms and whether you go for the GBA or PSX version, you can probably find an easy way to emulate it on whatever device you choose.
>>
File: rff.jpg (1 MB, 850x1152) Image search: [Google]
rff.jpg
1 MB, 850x1152
not sure if i'm a minority but my favorites are the snes harvest moon and rune factory frontier.
>>
>>329675935
I felt the same way, it felt like it hit it's peak enjoyment too soon and then just plateau'd. I heard that the colonial mod is essentially an expansion pack and warrants another play, I may try it out.
>>
>>329675998
I liked Rune Factory Frontier, but FUCK RUNEYS. FUCK THEM LONG AND FUCK THEM HARD.
>>
>>329675998
I like Rune Factory frontier only if I mod out the fucking sprite balancing bullshit. my favorite harvest moon type game currently is probably story of seasons since it gives you shit ton of customization options.
>>
>>329675972
>>329675998
I've played a few hours into Rune Factory 3, but is there a Rune Factory game that is widely considered to be the best?
>>
the Wii Harvest Moons are actually pretty good and underrated

I still think they had one of the best art styles of the whole franchise
>>
>>329675821
Banished's only flaw was that it is amazing until you play too long, then you're stuck juggling resources until you slip up, there's a harsh season, or your villagers stop fucking, then the entire thing falls apart and you need to start a new village.

Once you start a new village you realize there's not enough gameplay to continue playing.

I loved the idea, but it's really only fun for 1 well made village play though.
>>
>>329676234
3 or 4.
Frontier is considered a solid enough entry if you do something about the Runeys. Oceans has its fans but is largely forgettable.
>>
>>329675935
>Dropped development
What? It was always just one dude working on it. Everything he posted and showed when working on it is in the game. Just because you aren't happy with the amount of content doesn't mean it's an unfinished game.
>>
File: 1350770029382.gif (793 KB, 256x145) Image search: [Google]
1350770029382.gif
793 KB, 256x145
Harvest Moon + Animal Crossing + Monster Girls
>>
>>329676234
As a general rule every RF game is better than the last, doesn't apply to the console titles, Frontier is good but different.
>>
>>329676234
RF4 improves the mechanics further but to me RF3 was better because I really liked the town. Waifus were better too, I guess.
>>
I dislike Stardew Valley, and the reason why is very simple.

The dev removed animal butchering for you know food because some vegan fags got offended by it.

Fun fact, it was almost fully implemented feature.
>>
>>329676543

We have the icons, it's only a matter of time.
>>
File: Ambrosia[1].png (218 KB, 385x506) Image search: [Google]
Ambrosia[1].png
218 KB, 385x506
>>329676409
Isn't that kinda what Magician's Quest Mysterious Times was?

Besides, RF4 had monster girls/guys. You just had to beat the hell out of their monster forms first.
>>
>>329676315
>>329676454
>>329676535
I'll look into 4, cheers
>>
>>329676409
I'm waiting for a mod that tranforms everything in Stardew Valley in monster girls, the farm animals, , the cave monsters, the villagers, except Linus, he's ok.
>>
>>329676402
>>329676402
Sorry for wording like that, but like I said the game seemed to basic for me and was always expecting more. I'm just a greedy pig, I know that, but I think I'll try out the colonial mod(s) and give it a go. I never said the game was bad, or that the developer was an ass.
>>
how's harvest moon 3 GBC?

I only ever played the first one and the sequels never came out in europe
>>
File: best-girl.jpg (88 KB, 307x450) Image search: [Google]
best-girl.jpg
88 KB, 307x450
>>329675998
>>329676149
>>329676159
>>329676716
>>329676454
Daily reminder that you can use gecko codes to make all areas perpetually prosperous so you don't have to fuck with the runey system. However, you would need to either emulate the game (PC doesn't need to be that strong), or hack your Wii (super easy) to enable the code.

Anette is best girl
>>
>tfw still no RF5 announcement
>>
>>329677071
Any tips on getting into dolphin modding? I feel like I probably missed out on some sweet Wii games
>>
>>329676749
>Linus
I want a mod that changes him into RMS so that I can have a homeless rant about libre software
>>
>>329677139
The devs went under dude.
>>
File: 2016-03-04_09-18-07.png (10 KB, 322x159) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-04_09-18-07.png
10 KB, 322x159
>>329677139
>>
>>329675051
i started playing RF4 recently, it's really fun. there's endless amounts of shit to do, and i like the dungeon crawling stuff

i just need to figure out which husbando i want
>>
Harvest Moon: Bazaar was the best in the series.
>>
>>329677164
Go on youtube and search for "Jailbreak Wii", "Hack Wii", "Homebrew Wii", etc. There's many guides, just make sure the one you watch uses the latest exploits. You'll need a SD card to transfer files over as well. And when I say SD card, I mean it can't be SDHC, SDXC, or anything other than an old SD card. Finally, if you want to transfer Wii games to/from your PC, you'll need an available and properly formatted (using a special program to do it) thumbdrive too.
>>
>>329677642
I don't think it's the best, but my god is it underrated. It has problems like a gimmicky way to sell things (I don't mind it though), no mining, and a small map. However the world (regardless of its size) is really comfy. The characters are actually decent too.
>>
>>329675051
>With all this hype over stardew valley and harvest moon I was wondering what you guys think of the genre in general?
That is actually really hard to say.

I loved playing Back to Nature on the PS1 back when it came out, when I was doing restaurant work and had a ton of free time to kill. I thought the game was great, although without having it on hand to replay I realize that I could just be remembering it as a decent time-sink. It was fun, certainly: getting familiar with the town and learning how to do tasks efficiently so that you could have more free time in the day.

Basically: I enjoyed it, but would like to replay it before recommending.

As for the best titles, I would recommend Back to Nature (PS1) and possibly Harvest Moon 64 (n64), which is apparently the same game. Lots to do and you get the whole full-year experience. Friends of Mineral Town (GBA) was when they switched over to the current four-month, 120-day year, and I felt like it never really fit the series all that well. Everything feels too rushed and over too quickly.

If you don't mind a mix and sillier characters, then Rune Factory 3/Rune Factory 4 are some really good titles. Great characters in town and plenty of time to run around, but not really much focus on farming any more. (You could pretty much ignore the farm entirely in RF3/RF4 if you wanted.)
>>
>>329676543
That's a pretty silly reason to dislike a whole game.
>>
>>329678304
it would've been one of the only features that sets it apart from its competitors. i mean i still wouldn't play it over HM just for that but it'd be something
>>
>>329677405
Marvelous bought the rights to the series and has the whole team working under them.
>>
>>329678504
Does that mean RF5 will have a waifu that's obsessed about beansprouts too?
>>
>>329678304
Because like >>329678457 said that was one of the features that actually interested me in the game.

If that's removed why not play FoMT instead?

I barely started year 2 in Stardew and got almost nothing to do since i only lack 2 items for the bundles and that's it.
>>
>>329678457
The thing that sets it apart from it's competitors is that Natsume hasn't managed to make a decent HM game since FoMT, Story of seasons is pretty bad too

Rune Factory is quite good but it takes away the farming focus, making Stardew Valley the only decent farming game released in at least 10 years
>>
>>329679071
I guess for me once I play through a HM or RF game I don't really revisit them.

So for me SV is so I can go through the whole thing again in a new setting.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.