[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some words people use to discuss videogames that make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: images (2).jpg (13 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
13 KB, 225x224
What are some words people use to discuss videogames that make you disregard their opinion?

>aged
>>
>Sexist
>Toon
>>
>>329655212
>Sexist
>Problematic
>Racist
>>
>literally the best

No, you just haven't played enough of that genre yet there is no such thing as best
>>
>accessible
>>
>game's controls, or visuals or mechanics are dated and hard to go back to after playing more streamlined modern games
>game is aged
What's the problem with this?
Some games live up well, some age like milk.
>>
>>329658816
>there is no such thing as best
Logically there has to be a best game in a genre. Of the thousand games in said genre there has to be one that is worse than the others and one that is better than all the others.
>>
>>329655212
"I play videogames"
>>
>Now that the dust has settled...
>>
>>329655212
>"meme" as a descriptor for anything
>>
>SJW
>>
>>329659370

>Logically there has to be a best game in a genre.

You have no idea of what you're talking about (or what the word logic means).
>>
>>329659819
How can there be no best game? That's not possible. Every game has a different level of quality, so logically there has to be one at the top of the scale.
>>
>>329659975
quality in media is extremely subjective, anon. though there can be a lot of very clearly poor games, the ones closest to the top of the scale are largely ranked based on the tastes of the individual.
>>
>>329660079
If a game can be worse than another then there has to be one game right at the top.
And quality is not subjective in any way, there's just no way to measure it. I can safely say a game full of glitches is worse than a well tested game, at least in that aspect. If God existed he could tell you the best game.

There can't not be a best game.
There has to be a biggest rock, there has to be a longest river, there has to be a smartest human, there has to be a best game, book, movie etc. Unless all games are 100% equal in quality then there absolutely fucking must be a best one and a worst one, and if the number of games is odd then there's a middle game.
>>
>>329660289
someone doesn't understand the concept of subjectivity. there are so many different facets of what makes a game "good", that determining a "best" game comes down to which of these facets an individual most enjoys.

you're comparing something personal and subjective like media and art to something physical, like how big a rock is. you are judging that rock by one quality; how big it is. you are judging that river by one quality; how long it is. but using the word "best" is so broad that it can't be applied to anything other than subjectivity. what is the "best" tree? what is the "best" food? what qualities and factors are you judging it by?

this stuff really isn't difficult to comprehend. i'm worried for you.
>>
>>329660593
Red oak and rare steak. Next question.
>>
>>329660745
>rare steak
that's a funny way to spell "snow crab legs", faggot
>>
File: 1452584268158.jpg (23 KB, 329x281) Image search: [Google]
1452584268158.jpg
23 KB, 329x281
>>329655212
Sony
>>
>>329660593
You're an idiot. You're actually an idiot.
You think that because nobody can decide which is the best game that the best game doesn't exist.
You are so fucking stupid.
>>
>>329660775
>seafood of any kind
Absolutely disgusting
>>
>>329655212
"good writing"
as if each kid who picked up the witcher 3 became a writing and literature expert.
>>
>>329660593
You can judge a game by one quality. Telltale Games arguably have made the games with the best stories. Rock Band and Guitar Hero games have the best music by virtue of being music games. Crysis was regarded to having the best graphics. Gameplay is a lot more subjective, but it's just another facet of a game like the aforementioned story/music/graphics so it can in theory be measured and quantified too.
>>
File: 1390937835141.jpg (112 KB, 703x540) Image search: [Google]
1390937835141.jpg
112 KB, 703x540
>>329661250
>Rock Band and Guitar Hero games have the best music by virtue of being music games
>>
>>329661361
I bet you're one of the autists that keeps video game music on his phone.
>>
>>329655212
>fun
>>
>>329660593
dude, you're just a pussy, "booo hooo it's all subjective" faggot
>>
>deep
Never met someone who knows what the fuck they're talking about when they say this.
>>
>>329661724
the ocean is deep
>>
>>329661724
I've always took it to mean it had more going on than you might notice at first glance. You can dig in to something as far as you want and keep finding things that might change the way you play.
>>
>>329661724
Deep means what it means.
A game with more complex mechanics is deeper than a game with simple mechanics.

How stupid are you people?
>>
>>329655212
>normie
>casual
>gamer
>mature
>context "sensitive" controls
>>
>>329655212

>gameplay
>>
>>329660079
>quality is subjective

Nice try, degenerate.
>>
>>329662039
pretty sure they were referring to people who reach for deep themes/messages in games and not deep mechanics
>>
>>329655212
>retro
>8/16/32-bit
>indie
>innovative

Usually any game that falls under these categories is none of these categories.
>>
File: 1390887233340.gif (396 KB, 245x138) Image search: [Google]
1390887233340.gif
396 KB, 245x138
>>329661250
>Rock Band and Guitar Hero games have the best music
>>
File: africanamericanpondering.jpg (48 KB, 600x303) Image search: [Google]
africanamericanpondering.jpg
48 KB, 600x303
>>329661529
>video game music is bad because it's from a video game
>>
Really anybody who starts going on about how "long" the game is, because they generally are very inconsistent or have shit opinions in general.

They tend to be poor as hell and just want to avoid reality as long as possible by playing bloated repetitive skinner box games like Destiny or World of Warcraft.

Or they are just bandwagon jumping memers. E.g. The Order is shit because it's 7 hours long but Silent Hill 2 is good (5 hour game).
>>
>>329663213
The Order isn't shit because it's 7 hours long. It's shit and 7 hours long.
>>
>I play inverted
>>
>>329662638
>yeah just let me make a game using the NES color palette but do literally nothing else to make a game interesting
>>
>>329655212
>Rehash
>Casualized
>"Looks like shit"
These are words used a lot by people that didn't play a game but pretend they did.
>>
>like
Seriously, if you can't express an opnion beyond hurrpy derpy me like don't like, then I don't give a shit about your simple minded opinion.
>>
>>329659975

how CAN there be a best game?
By what standards would you judge it? Metacritic scores? What if I don't agree with them? What if I prefer fantasy to sci-fi, would that make one game better than another?

Once you grow up, you'll realize this.
>>
File: 1456719462857.jpg (36 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
1456719462857.jpg
36 KB, 500x364
>nostalgia goggles
>>
>>329665205
your post looks like shit
>>
>>329660865

>You think that because nobody can decide which is the best game that the best game doesn't exist.

Actually, you're the idiot anon because you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

The best game should be determined by qualities that we as a user base have determined that "these qualities make a good game", correct?

So if the user base themselves cannot agree on a "best" title, how can some objective measurement do so? Furthermore a game is always the sum of it's parts. One game might be excelling one one department but lacking in others. So which is the best game?
>>
>>329665701
Not that poster, but once you grow up you learn to look at games past their fantasy/sci-fi skins and judge them mechanically.
>>
>>329665991

>Not that poster, but once you grow up you learn to look at games past their fantasy/sci-fi skins and judge them mechanically.

No you don't. No amount of robot genes will make me prefer one over the other. And that's what "best" is - a preference.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.