[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>you wouldn't download a car >Yes I would. >a pirated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: download-bear[1].jpg (134 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
download-bear[1].jpg
134 KB, 1440x900
>you wouldn't download a car
>Yes I would.
>a pirated copy is a lost sale
>I was never going to buy it anyway.
>clearly you would have, or else you wouldn't have played it
>If the pirates copy was good, I would have paid for the original game to support the devs.
>not me, bro, I never pay for anything. If it's free and easy to download then I'll take it

All the pirating/anti pirating discussions end up the same but that last line ticks me off the most. You can't just think like that. You have to picture yourself as being in everybody else's shoes, otherwise morality has no meaning. It's literally no different to saying that if you were on a desserted island with an unconscious girl you would rape/kill her because there was a 100% likelihood you could get away with it. That is NOT how society is supposed to work. The Invisible Man isn't supposed to be the only thing stopping people from committing crimes. It's meant to be part of your own inherent humanity.

I mean is it any coincidence that 99% of pirates are also atheists? These are the same atheists that talk about how society doesn't need religion to maintain morality, yet they go and do shit like this. Well clearly you niggers DO need religion to keep you in check. No, don't act like the reason you pirate is because video game companies are run by Jews or because reviewers are all bribed. You do it because you CAN. I know so because many /v/ anons readily admit it.
>>
tl;dr
>>
>Justifying it
Sign of a faggot. Just download your shit and play the game, nobody cares.
>>
>>329590134
>buy a movie
>friend doesn't
>invite friend over to watch that movie
Piracy
>>
>>329590413
You do need to justify it. An immoral act is still immoral if nobody knows about it, faggot.
>>
>>329590519
>theater buys a movie
>charges thousands of other people to watch it
Downright illegal
>>
>>329590519
>>329590876
Do you think you're being funny? The movie producers gave people permission to do these things. No video game company wants people to play their game for free.
>>
>>329591000
The theater analogy is bad but mine was good. Debate the first one
>>
>>329591052
>Debate the first one
Movie companies allow people to do that.
>>
The biggest strawman ever.

If we possessed the technology to pirate cars there would be a. no world hunger b no need to work anymore and c. we would fucking travel to mars for spring holidays.
>>
>>329591209
Yeah and what incentive would anyone have for creating anything new, huh? Checkmate, Blackbeard.
>>
>>329591195
I know piracy is copyright infringement, I'm just saying it shouldn't be. How is a guy buying a product and then sharing it with other people not the same as your friend sharing his vidya with you?
>>
Could you explain it using a food analogy OP?
>>
>>329591350
Except inviting someone over once in a while or lending your game is heavily limiting. Giving them an actual copy of their own is way less limiting.
>>
>>329590134
Intellectual property has no inherent value, unlike real world goods. fuck off.
>>
>>329590134
>You need religion to be a morally good person

That's pretty fucking retarded, and BLATANTLY contradictory to your claim that the 'invisible man' should not be the only driving force for morality.
>>
>>329591612
Sure. Feel free to steal my ideas and intelligence. It definitely won't devalue my own ability to get a job or anything.

>>329591642
Yeah but at least the Invisible Man is still better than nothing.
>>
File: 1453391898962.jpg (182 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1453391898962.jpg
182 KB, 960x1280
>you wouldn't download a car
Come on man if we had the tech to do that today everybody would be downloading cars.
>>
Don't mind me, just pirating this meat.

It's ok though since I wasn't going to buy it anyway. It isn't a lost sale either since supermarkets usually have daily meat wastage greater than the amount I pirated.
>>
>>329591316

What incentive did people have to create games for newgrounds? How much money has brutal doom made? Some of the best games ever were made by a man in a garage.
>>
>>329591935
The rape one is better
>>
>>329592018
Yes but you're suggesting we rely on shit like that. You're actually saying people SHOULD be making games by living on the edge of their food stamps every week.
>>
>>329591935

Come back here with those goalposts!
>>
>>329592125

I wasn't talking about food stamps, I was talking about a dystopia/utopia where work is no longer needed because literally everything is automated, so people either kill themselves for lack of a purpose or dedicate themselves to create shit for pure leisure.
>>
I don't even give a fuck anymore. I used to be against piracy until overbearing DRM made pirating superior to buying in ways other than getting the game for free.

Since I don't "own" the game anyway when I buy it, I feel no guilt when I pirate it.
>>
>>329591805
I mean, sure, make those without morality into moral people by promising salvation.

But it's still contradictory to the assertion that people don't need the invisible man. The OP weakened his argument by introducing religion into his post.

People should just be moral because they don't want to cause harm to others. But that's wishful thinking; just because I want people to be morally good does not mean they will be.
>>
I pirate games because games are expensive as fuck and I'm not wasting 60 bucks to play Tomb Raider for 10 hours and the next week 60 more to play Farcry for another 15 hours.
Also when a game has preorder bonus and DLC and shit like that the options are
1: Paying 60 bucks for the base game and missing on DLCs, cosmetics etc.
2:Paying 60+20+20 to get everything
3:Paying nothing and still having more content that the dumbass that payed 60 bucks.
I buy a lot of shit, the most recent was Dark Souls 3, but I bought it on a key site for 38 bucks rather than full price, and I bought it because I know I'm going to enjoy it and it wouldn´t be the same if I pirated it.
>>
>>329592979
>it wouldn´t be the same if I pirated it
multiplayer is basically the only reason i buy games full price, ever. and I prefer single player games
>>
>>329591350
The operative part of COPYright. The right holder has the authority to make copies and sell them, give them away, etc. Joe Citizen does not.
>>
File: 1425685167382.png (210 KB, 465x465) Image search: [Google]
1425685167382.png
210 KB, 465x465
I've no issues pirating western games as greed is part of the culture, squeezing the most value from the least money is what all of those companies do anyway so they'd understand and even respect me doing the same.
I'd never pirate Japanese games however as they are an honorable culture producing entertainment as love letters to their fans. It would be acting against their culture to abuse this and not morally acceptable.
>>
>>329593183
Me too, but man, I can't afford spending 120 bucks every month in fucking video games, look I played Suprhot recently, and I liked, it was cool and original and all, a bit story heavy and repetitive but it was a game that I enjoyed, but come the fuck on, I'm not giving you 23 bucks for this, I played it two days, did a bunch of challenge runs and shit, but thats about everything you can get from the game, I bought Terraria for 4 bucks and played 360 hours, bought Dark Souls for 8 and played 320, I recommend and have gifted both games several times, I sold DaS to 3 or 4 people at least and damn, I would have bought DaS for 20 bucks, but not for 60, video games are just too damn expensive when their target audience are kids and young people who doesn't have jobs.
>>
>>329593338
You're a degenerate sea biscuit
>>
>>329590134
>an unconscious girl you would rape/kill her because there was a 100% likelihood you could get away with it

Very false equivalence.
Games are entertainment products, not necessities or human rights.
>>
>>329590134
any source on that "99% of pirates are also atheists"?
>>329590602
and the reason needing for justification is... ?
>>
File: 1456964657684.png (2 MB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1456964657684.png
2 MB, 1080x1080
who gives le fuck
if no sale was lost its not stolen end of story
>>
>>329590134
If I'm skeptical about a game or think/know it's going to be shit, I pirate it. I did this with Fallout 4 and was sure as hell right even as people I knew were bitching at me for not being hyped about it. What a shitty game.

It's not justification since I'm not saying it's not technically morally wrong, I just don't care and that's my logic behind piracy.
>>
>>329590602
and who gives a shit u mongloid rofl
>>
>>329590134
How do I pirate without getting viruses? Not gonna join a private tracker because I can't seed much
>>
>implying morality exists
>>
>>329596265
How do you even get viruses by pirating?
I've never gotten one even with Kazaa or Napster back in the day.
Just use common sense and don't download the shit that says "16-year-old teen fucked by brother while stepmom watches".
>>
>>329590134
i pirated darkest dungeon to try , then bought it when it released.
>>
File: 1450562295084.jpg (35 KB, 229x343) Image search: [Google]
1450562295084.jpg
35 KB, 229x343
>>329590134
>morality
If the devs have their own private island I think they can afford to lose a few costumers.
>>
File: 12.jpg (9 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
9 KB, 400x300
>>329590134
>rape analogies
>>
>The Invisible Man isn't supposed to be the only thing stopping people from committing crimes. It's meant to be part of your own inherent humanity.
That's odd, I thought you were speaking AGAINST atheism.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.