[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want me some good old RPG, and i've finished BG2, PST,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 8
File: Arcanum_cover_copy.jpg (40 KB, 248x300) Image search: [Google]
Arcanum_cover_copy.jpg
40 KB, 248x300
I want me some good old RPG, and i've finished BG2, PST, NWN1. I see Arcanum getting talked here along with those games, is it worth playing? Or is there a better one you'd suggest?
>>
The Witcher 3 is the only real RPG.
>>
Arcanum is damn good. The character building & stats are a little contrived but it's an excellent game overall.
>>
>>329587548
Then what do you call undertale?
>>
>>329587716
And I think theres a mod to improve that aspect
>>
>>329586248
The writing and setting in arcanum is really unique imo, combat is dogshit but you can mostly bypass that with a certain op companion.

Give it a try
>>
>>329586248

Icewind Dale 1 & 2

Divine Divinity

Nox
>>
>>329586248

Just play nwn modules.
>>
File: 343248277621.jpg (3 MB, 1672x4619) Image search: [Google]
343248277621.jpg
3 MB, 1672x4619
>>329586248
>>
>>329586248
Gothic series is goat. If you want strictly isometric games, Evil Islands, Rage of Mages and Divine Divinity are great hidden gems
>>
Pillars of Eternity
The shadowrun games.
>>
>>329586248
Icewind Dale
RPGs by Spiderweb
Arx Fatalis
>>
>>329587778
Shit for faggots.
>>
>>329586248
arcanum is literally the best crpg
>>
>>329588163
Fuck no, combat is pretty bad and dungeon design sucks major dick, far from best. Atmosphere, art direction, soundtrack and storyline are still top notch tho.
>>
arcanum is god damn awful and has aged horribly.
>>
Age of Decadence is great, just got a hefty content patch too.
>>
>>329587952
I approve this list
>>
>>329587952

Why is Wake of the Ravager in mid-tier?
>>
>>329588989
could be higher I guess but I remember it wasn't very good when compared to its prequel
>>
>>329587952
>Mass Effect 2 higher than Mass Effect 3
>>
File: 1443380650014.png (515 KB, 880x699) Image search: [Google]
1443380650014.png
515 KB, 880x699
>>329589350
>>
>>329587952

>Witcher 2 ranked higher than the first game

No.

>Lionheart in shit tier

Someone didn't get to play as a necromancer, I see.

>The Bard's Tale in low tier

Why? I want to hear the reasons for this.

>both KOTOR games in the same tier

Nah. Putting aside the numerous gameplay improvements, the writing alone qualifies KOTOR 2 either for High Tier or God Tier, whereas the first KOTOR is mid tier.
>>
>>329588467
So is your mom's pussy but that doesn't stop me from playing it every night
>>
>>329589610
>No.
yeah TW and TW2 could be in the same tier, some people really hate TW1 because of the combat though

>Someone didn't get to play as a necromancer, I see.
someone didn't notice how the game drops completely dead after few hours

>Why? I want to hear the reasons for this.
not sure here but I don't think you'd want to play those at this point

>both KOTOR games in the same tier
I'd say both games have an equal number of fans and haters
>>
>>329589692
qft
>>
>>329590337
and some people really hate TW2 because of the combat
>>
>>329586248
i personally really really liked arcanum, although the end part (like 1/4 or 1/3) was a lot worse than the first 3/4 or 2/3 of the game.
be careful with the combat since it's a bit broken, especially mage in realtime combat
>>
>>329586248
Icewind dale is very similar to bg2 if not better
>>
File: Might and Magic 6.jpg (154 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Might and Magic 6.jpg
154 KB, 640x480
Might & Magic 6 is a must-play for any CRPG fan, it has some of the best dungeon design and exploration of any game
>>
>>329591868
Combat is more refined in Icewind Dale but BG2 has a story
>>
>>329592170

Both ID games have a story.

I even prefer the second to the first because you can be a Dreadmaster of Bane and full on fuck-up that other guy who's misrepresenting your faith.
>>
>>329591868
iwd2 is more combat heavy and you create your full party vs you create a mainchar and get companions, but you are right, icewind dales and baldur's gates are similar
>>
NWN2. While the original campaign is straight up so boring that it took 3 tries for me to not drop it, it was totally worth it when I got to continue with my character into MotB
>>
>>329591924
Aren't the dungeons fucking huge?

I haven't played it in long time, but i remember playing after 7 and 8 and thinking it was brutal
>>
>>329586248
Arcanum is amazing, a definite buy if you like story and the world that goes with it. Also, the music is excellent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw
>>
>>329586248
Arcanum is definitely worth a play. Unfortunately the different skills are horribly unbalanced and the best route by far might be to put everything into death magic first.

Lotsa good quests / dialog

Tarant is huge
>>
File: 725_img.jpg (21 KB, 414x604) Image search: [Google]
725_img.jpg
21 KB, 414x604
Anyone play this game? How is it?
>>
>>329595716
arcanum main theme might be the best vidya song ever made. planescape:torment's deionara's theme is also fighting for the top spot.
>>329595880
with best you mean easiest? because magic is broken as fuck, i wouldn't suggest that as a first playthrough
a part of what made Tarant great was the small details, like the address signs, newspapers and so on.
>>
>>329588163
It's not the best in many regards, but it is my personal favourite
>>
File: Virgilsmall.jpg (2 KB, 64x64) Image search: [Google]
Virgilsmall.jpg
2 KB, 64x64
I can't BELIEVE it! I mean, YOU and...

.. then the ZEPPELIN, and...

F I R E !
I
R
E
!

And the ALTAR says that... Do you have any idea why you read this in my voice?
>>
>>329586248
Oh is that game with that one OP spell
>>
>>329596719
fuck you
Elder Joachim is staying at the Inn, next to the Bank
>>
>>329596092
I tried it and kind of got turned off by how meh combat was. I should give it a second go.
>>
Arcanum is good, Fallout 1 and 2

For newer games but in the same style Pillars of Eternity, Age of Decadence, Expeditions Conquistador and Shadowrun
>>
>>329587952
>all those old ass shitty mechanics even worse story so called rpg's in god tier

nostalgia is strong in this one
>>
>getting Magnus and GTA in my party at the same time
>spend whole game trying to balance my allignment to keep them both
this was quite difficult. maybe the dark helm would have helped a bit
>>
>>329591924
Been playing this recently, nearing the end and the final dungeons are getting hard as fuck. It's a great game but M&M7 is still my favourite.

Both games have a great soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ5XjRBTEpU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVqbnGWqf6c
>>
>>329586248
Isn't arcanum the game where you can play as a courtesan???
>>
>>329587952

that list is as fucked up as some of the games on it. why are the diablo games even on there?
>>
Gnomes did 9/11
>>
>>329595880
>using magick like some uneducated primitive or worse an elf
>not relying on the glorious advances in mechanics, electrics and chemistry to help your opponent reach an early grave in a style befitting an educated man.
>>
>>329596719
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd7qS01MZ7Y
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y96Y2JE5F8

oh man
>>
File: Donn throgg.png (595 KB, 785x544) Image search: [Google]
Donn throgg.png
595 KB, 785x544
>>329598421
>>
>>329598810
in arcanum, the gnomes actually earned themselves some camps
>>
>>329598801
Been playing this after beating BG2 and while that is in my opinion the better game, this has easily the better soundtrack
>>
>>329598980
nothing beats the whole ogre island conspiracy you find out, and all the gnomes laugh at you because no good goy will believe you
>>
Has anyone played the Eschalon games? wondering if its worth 10 dollars on steam.
>>
>>329599190
That's why you shoot the gnome stupid enough to come over and laugh at you. Every little bit counts.

Why the FUCK was that negative karma? Dude just admitted to being part of a RAPE CONSPIRACY!
>>
File: vRECOMMENDS2b.jpg (1 MB, 2216x1628) Image search: [Google]
vRECOMMENDS2b.jpg
1 MB, 2216x1628
>>329586248
>I see Arcanum getting talked here along with those games, is it worth playing?
Yes.I is one of the greatest RPGs of all time.
>Or is there a better one you'd suggest?
I can only suggest RPGs of similar quality but will nt say that they are better than Arcanum. Equal in quality maybe but not better.

>Wizardry 8
>TES III:Morrowind
>Divine Divinity
>Gothic 2
>Arx Fatalis
>Nox
>The Temple of Elemental Evil
>Avernum: Escape from The Pit
>>
Arcanum is a beautiful game. A buggy, broken, beautiful game. Play it.
>>
>>329592649
I like IWD1 but IWD2 makes me want to kill myself every time I play it because 3E is such a fucking terrible system. It's really disappointing because if IWD2 didn't change systems it would have obviously been one of the best IE games, but no, we've got to switch to the system where instead of Fighters and their ilk fucking shit up once they get going, they have to wait a full round to get more than one attack every time they move, their damage is relatively nerfed because monster HP is two to three times higher than it was in the previous game while damage isn't even close to that good in a best case scenario because iterative penalties, and I just rage every single time I think of the teleporting worg riders that had something like 120 HP so it took your entire party focus firing the worg leader captain for multiple turns to kill them.
>>
>>329597692
how is shadowrun anything like arcanum?
shadowrun was mediocre at best anyways
>>
I don't see Divinity 2 get talked about much, my impression is that it's mediocre.

Is it on the level of Gothic 3? ... Or Gothic 4?
>>
>>329589610
writing justifies kotor 2 being on a higher tier? really?
kreia alone makes kotor 2 drop down one level
>inb4 kreia so deep
no, the character isn't deep, it's just annoying and blatanly obvious from the start
>>
Say, on the subject of Arcanum.

I was wondering if it has like informational picture like, say WTMB and some other RPGs?

All I am interested is getting the gog version running properly and maybe fix audio and resolution.

It's been on my backlist for a little while and I never got around to getting it running.
>>
>>329587952
Why is Daggerfall always in mid or lower tier?

I don't get that, people always rank it so low, when it has quite a lot of good RPG elements in it, and the combat is arguably better than Morrowind, which is this hybrid dicerolling and action abortion that started the downhill towards Skyrim.
>>
>>329601108
never seen one but there's really no need for it. not that vmtb really needed it either.
if you're going to play arcanum,i would suggest installing the latest uo patch and possible the high-res map and audio.
check terra arcanum for more info
also about the combat, it's pretty broken. unbalanced and you can exploit swapping between turnbased and realtime
>>
i just started arcanum for the first time a few days ago, i haven't really played any crpgs but i'm really digging it. i'm pretty terrible at it even on easy though. rolling a death/summoning elf witch.

>>329587818
which companion? i have the priest boy & magnus but they are not op at all. they miss hits constantly...& i am not super interested in being super challenged by the combat
>>
>>329587716
great story, music and setting, but the combat is terrible.
>>
>>329601108
d/l the 3 mods listed here: http://www.gog.com/forum/arcanum_of_steamworks_and_magick_obscura/must_have_arcanum_fan_patches_widescreen_and_more/page1

also i'm on windows 10 & i had to dl this thing too:
http://bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html

runs nice but i can't alt-tab which is irritating. has only crashed a couple times in ~10 hours
>>
>>329601532
Cheers for all the info, I'll look into getting it running.

>also about the combat, it's pretty broken.
I assumed as much, I never play older RPGs for the gameplay only.

Yeah, VTMB is really hard to come up with the completely broken boxed copies nowdays, it used to run like ass because of unfinished source engine and the game was unfinishable, but that isn't so much a problem nowdays.

It does sort of intrigue me that, Originally I wasn't able to finish the VTMB without using the console.

I would genuinely want to try the original The Witcher, the first translation to english, with the original inventory system and stuff. Wonder if there are any torrents for it.
>>
>>329602273
>has only crashed a couple times in ~10 hours

Sounds perfectly acceptable to me, thanks for the info.
>>
>>329602129
agreed. for once i can agree with /v/, i still haven't found out any reasons why people say ps:t gameplay is awful. i personally loved it, although pathing in combat can be a pain.
which companion is the best and why is it the mutt?
>>
>>329602494
PS:T's gameplay isn't terrible, it's just unexceptional and far less polished than the other Infinity Engine games on that front.
>>
>>329596719
I really got caught off guard when he suddenly went back to his evil self
Great NPC character.
>>
>>329602273
you literally can't alt-tab or does it just increase the risk of crashing by a lot?
i'm running win7 and can alt-tab, but it usually crashes or gets weird bugs after a few times.
>>329602279
np, enjoy tarant, it's an amazing town and even the details are there.
crafting was pretty cool in the game imo, i'm so going to play a technological crafter type on my next playthrough. that or a dude with herblore or whatever it was called.
i semi-recently bought witcher 1 and 2 (sale on steam iirc), but have way too many games on my backlog.
>>
>>329602648
true, but people always say "gameplay sucks" "combat is terrible" and so on but no one can actually say what's wrong with it. it's pretty funny actually.
>>329602865
he was a nice character and the characters in the game in general are pretty well made.
>>
>>329600947
I think you might actually be retarded.
>>
>>329603391
i straight up cannot alt-tab out at all. just does nothing.
>>
>>329587952

>all those great games rated much lower than they deserve

The person that made that list needs to get better taste.
>>
hey /v/ I never put too much attention to rpgs, but I really want to play one now, I played and liked Diablo 2 and Torchlight 2 could you recommend me some of the same kind? (third person, massive world and lots of possibilities would be perfect)
>>
>>329605358
One problem with that.

Diablo 2 and Torchlight 2 are actionrpgs, which is fine in itself, no problem with that, but going from, say Diablo 2 to, say planescape torment, the only common thing between the two is really the perspective. How comfortable are you with turn based combat, that is probably broken at best and downright horrible at worst?

Because that alone will limit options severly.
You could play original Diablo and Torchlight or look into other games of the same genre, like Grim Dawn, Titan Quest or Path of Exile.
>>
>>329605358

If this isn't a troll, those games aren't really RPGs like the other ones in this thread.

Based on what you just said though, witcher 3 or skyrim would be good choices.

People will probably bitch me out for suggesting skyrim, but it's the best looking and most accessible elder scrolls game.
>>
OP here. Thought no one replied so i had abandoned the thread.
So far, I'm thinking of playing these games:
Arcanum
Arx Fatalis
KOTOR
Maybe Gothic 2

I've tried both Icewind Dale games, but the creation and management of an entire party is too much for my simple mind
I don't like the settings of Fallout games, and VTMB is too spooky for me

>>329603684
Well, when you think that PST is a game against the common rpg tropes combat not being polished kinda makes sense, but that's not an excuse.
Still, gameplay isn't all combat you know.
>>
>>329606450
>If this isn't a troll, those games aren't really RPGs like the other ones in this thread.

Oh, get off your high horse man, they're Action RPGs, yes, but a good way to get into more storydriven games.

I do agree with The Witcher 3 and Skyrim to ease into RPGs a bit, but I would say start with The Witcher and Oblivion, if you find The Witcher unplayable, you're probably not going to have much fun with the other games.

And Oblivion is better game than Skyrim, which is a good way to get into Bethesda worlds, if you enjoy the world in Oblivion, try Morrowind, which will have incredible world to explore or just skip straight to Morrowind.
>>
>>329606508
>Arcanum
>Arx Fatalis
>KOTOR
>Gothic 2

Can't go wrong with those choices
>>
>>329597838
>first time meeting GTA
>think "man who is this fag"
>he keeps talking shit about every situation
>stay evil so he never leaves me
>>
>>329603963
because i disagree with you?
great stuff buddy
>>
>>329606508
>VTMB is too spooky for me

VTMB stops being spooky when you realize that you're a bigger monster than anything the game throws at you.

That's like being scared of playing Alien Versus Predator as the alien, sure the worlds are spooky, but you are the monster. Actually speaking of which, game where you play as a slasher villain when?
>>
>>329597838
>>329607728
I really want to do an evil playthrough so I can recruit that evil guy who I found in a tomb or something last time. I was playing a retarded Half-Ogre so my options were really limited. Only time I've played through, but it was really fun.

How difficult is it to play a truly evil character? And what builds would you recommend?
>>
>>329601841

Anon , dont go necromantic. Mid Late game is crap.
Go fire and electric maybe . Also put points in intelligence and persuation.
Use a guide how to get dog , hes op, as the half ogre at the beggining inn.
>>
>>329586248
Icewind Dale 1 & 2

Why go on these adventures you may ask?
Fuck you, that's why. They're dungeons, crawl them and have fun!
>>
>>329605358
well, path of exile is another hack'n'slash like diablo 2.
>>329606508
well, i suppose it's an excuse but still it isn't bad and as you said, gameplay is more than combat.
if the combat was bad, it would have to have a fault which no one ever gives me.
>>
>>329606060
agh, sorry but never I liked at all turn based combat... at first look, those that you mentioned seems pretty good, I'll try it

>>329606450
not a troll, just a peasant gamer; and yes, for long time I have been hearing about Skirm, I think is about time to give it a chance

>>329607594
I'll definitely try Oblivion and The Witcher then

Looks like I get my starter pack, thanks guys
>>
>>329608082
>Anon , dont go necromantic.
>telling someone who's enjoying a game how to enjoy a game
>>
>>329608043
its not that hard to be evil, and even then you can just get a dark helm to lower you allignment to 100% evil.
Off the top of my head you could be a pyromaniac. Use grenades/molotovs, the pyotechnic axe, maybe get the flamethrower.
>>
>>329607916
Man, I'm the pussiest guy ever when it comes to horror games, so just good atmosphere is enough to make me afraid of playing, not even the jumpscares

>>329605358
Anon, I like those games too but they have nothing in common with cRPGs. Mind explaining what's the genre on your mind? Anything, or just arpgs? Witcher and TES series are a good way to start if you're into that
>>
>>329587952
I wish Amberstar was finished..
>>
>>329607594
isn't arpg a relatively new term? didn't people call them hack'n'slashes back in the day?
>>329606508
any clue what arx fatalis is like? i've often heard about it in cRPG threads but i don't remember if i have ever looked into it.
>>329607916
i recently started playing vmtb after forgetting about it for years and years (apart from the occasional reminder on /v/ that lead me nowhere) and man that game is fun.
love the setting, the combat/sneaking is pretty fun and the spookystuff is nicely done as well. i have yet to find a flaw in the game. i just finished the first area so i'm guessing i'm roughly 25% through the game.
>>329608082
electric is crazy OP school of magic and i wouldn't suggest it as a first playthrough. just spam jolt or whatever the aoe skill is and later on switch to that high damage single target one and if absolutely in deep doodoo, use disintegrate
>>
>>329609024
>any clue what arx fatalis is like?
I don't know what the genre is called, first person RPG? It's like TES games
See for yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2MM8bn1Tew
>>
>>329600446
It was the last IE game. Sawyer send it out with D&D E3.0.
>>
>>329600927
It's super fun and hilarious. The combat is a bit eh, but you get used to it pretty quickly. Play it, the Saga.
>>
>>329600818
Hey, Dragonfall was pretty neat.
>>
>>329607594

I wouldn't say start with witcher. Witcher 2 maybe, even though it isn't open world. Witcher 1 looks ok, even pretty good for 2007, but it's not as amazing as 2 and 3 graphically.
Gameplay is also easier, just flows better, and has less micromanagement.

Witcher 1 is a great game, a great RPG. But I wouldn't recommend it to someone new to RPGs and maybe not even someone new to the witcher.
I went back and played it after playing 2 and reading all the books in prep for 3 and had a much better time than I did before I was invested in the series.
>>
well, I think "action RPGs" feels just right for me, but in other words:

I like combat and skills development, all that with a nice history and a world in which I have to accomplish missions; I also like open world, but that is not necessary and I'm not a "high graphics lover", I only look for playability
>>
>>329611067
Ops, this was for >>329608692
>>
>>329609024
Arx fatalis has some interesting ideas but they come together a little clumsily.
My impression after 2 hours was that it was kinda neat but I had better games I could be playing.
>>
>>329610292
so i've heard, bought it and played it for 15-30minutes or so. didn't notice anything changing except story/setting
>>
>>329587952
>Neverwinter low tier
I was looking into it just now and I've seen people on here say its good, why low tier?
>>
>>329611679
Give it a bit more. If after 2-3 story jobs you don't like it, drop it. It's good to explore, it's not nearly as linear as Returns.
>>
>>329611669
i wonder if i should try it.
i've played bg-series, iwd's,ps:t,arcanum,betrayal at krondor. also the new ones like pillars of eternity,divinity:os.
i think i've played more but can't think of them right now, except vmtb which im currently playing.
how does arx fatalis compare to those?
>>
>>329612662
but the basic game is the same as returns, right?
no other differences than the story/setting apart from possibly bugfixes?
>>
>>329612232
NWN1's main campaign is nearly unplayably bad. People like it for the multiplayer and the expansions.
>>
>>329613349
pretty much the same goes for nwn2, although main campaign is better in nwn2 than nwn, but still quite bad. i've heard that Mask of the Betrayer is good though
>>
>>329590337
>some people really hate TW1 because of the combat though
Combat in TW2 is barely batter and in all other aspects it's infinitely worse.
>>
>>329609818
And look how much good it did them. Character building became a major aspect full of pitfalls and took exponentially longer DESPITE USING POINT-BUY instead of being a basically fire and forget unless you wanted to dual class, and instead of leveling up being smooth and effortless, you have to micromanage every single fucking level you ever get.

God I hate 3E. It's such a piece of shit.
>>
>>329613349
do you know anything like adwr?
>>
>>329613809
Aielund is good for parts 2 and 3.
>>
>>329605358
Divine Divinity plays like Diablo (more like Diablo 1 than 2) and that is a great crpg, really reccomend it if you cant handle turn based combat.

Sacred 2 is also pretty good but not as story intensive.
>>
>>329587952
Neverwinter Nights 2 is high-tier, at least.
>>
>>329609024
Arx fatalis is great and it kinda plays like the TES games. Except the magic system is broken and shitty as fuck, early PC motion controls are weird man.
>>
>>329586248
NWN2 + Mask of the betrayer. After playing BG2, PST and NWN2, you simply have to play NWN2. Best D&D combat of any game.
>>
>>329612780

Arx is a first person action RPG so quite a bit different than those.

It has more RPG elements than its successor, but it's by the same team that made Dark Messiah, which is a fast better game imo.
>>
>>329606508
VTMB isn't spooky. Any spooks will be removed if you do anything melee related and have to deal with the atrocious third person camera. Personally I'd recommend playing Gothic 1 and 2. 2 is a direct continuation of the first one and you miss out on a lot if you skip the first. The first game also has god tier atmosphere and isn't very long.
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.