[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I'm browsing the PSN store, and I stumbled across this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: 8bBzyUf.jpg (126 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
8bBzyUf.jpg
126 KB, 1920x1080
So, I'm browsing the PSN store, and I stumbled across this shit.

I can now rent games with no option whatsoever to buy? Fuck the Japanese.
>>
>>329523727
Rentals are a separate store entry from purchases.
>>
>>329523727
>4 hours of renting
>THREE fucking dollars

Back in my day, we made it free and called it a demo.
>>
>>329523869
It's in the playstation store, it runs on the machine, there should be no reason why there isn't a buy option alongside renting.
>>
That's PlayStation Now. You're renting to stream the game, similar to renting a DVD, except you're streaming from Sony's servers, which cannot be paid with a one time fee on their end. Unfortunately, it's the only way to play PS3 games on the PS4.
>>
>>329524072
you clicked the wrong thing then
>>
>>329524072
It doesn't run on your machine, Sony has to pay for the hardware it's running on in and they have to pay to stream it to you every time you boot it up in that rental period.
>>
>>329524072
Of course.

Their store / web developers are just incompetent.

But the point is that the game is still available for buying. Renting is just there for a bunch of stuff.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/catherine/cid=UP0005-NPUB30698_00-CATHERINEGAMEUSA
>>
>>329523983
>four hour demos
>ever existing
Come on now--I want demos back for all games too senpai but if you think you'd get four hours of original content for free, you're just another entitled millennial
>>
>>329524254
He's talking about the PS4 store where you can't play PS3 games. It's the power of the Cell that not even the PS4 can handle.
>>
>>329523983
>Back in my day, we made it free and called it a demo.

A demo is not usually four hours of content, you'd be lucky to get an hour at best.
>>
>>329524206
>>329524254
>PS4
>>
>>329523983

Catherine has a demo.
>>
>>329523727
you're looking at the PlayStation Now rental. That game is not available for PS4, it's a PS3 format game. So you can play it streaming with PS Now, you can't buy games though. Why? So they can shut it down whenever they like.
>>
>>329523727
If it helps, you own nothing you download from PSN. You own a license which Sony can revoke at any time.
>>
>>329523983
I guess they figure some games are made to be beaten in 4 hours and they needed a universal price instead of different prices for different games to rent.

But yeah, it's a greedy fucking kike move for sure.
>>
>>329524375

You haven't played the demos for Etrian Odyssey have you nigger? They're pretty long, let you level until 10 and explore a good chunk of the early game, not to mention you can transfer your savefile to the full game and receive some extra shit for doing so, that's AT LEAST 4 hours of content if fully experienced.

And it's free.
>>
The game is streaming, not downloaded to your system. Thus, it's only a rental.

I do think you should be entitled to an "unlimited rental" if you own the PS3 license digitally.
>>
File: eo4times.jpg (153 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
eo4times.jpg
153 KB, 960x720
>>329524859
>EO demo

Old screenshot, but 45+ hours in the demo alone.
>>
>>329524770
It's basically a really long rental in the first place :^)
>>
>>329524770
>You own a license which Sony can revoke at any time.

That is the same for all digital storefronts, you don't need to make Sony more shitty than it already is.
>>
>>329525146
Sure, but this thread is clearly focused on PSN. The rental thing implies OP thinks he owns his other downloads, but he doesn't.
>>
>>329524254
>one time license fee
>"license fee"
>2 machines registered to account
but what if they both overheat and die?
>>
>>329524072
you clicked the wrong section.
it's not your fault that sony storedesigns are retarted though.
every anon in this thread could most likely come up with a better design that actually makes sense.
>>
>>329523727
>One Month Rental
>$8

That's a ridiculously good deal, OP. I'd take it.
>>
>>329525376

You just unlink them from your account and link your new one. PSN is account based.

>>329525313

Until Sony starts revoking licenses for no reason you don't need to remind this. Do you also enter Steam threads to remind people of something they don't really need to worry about?
>>
>>329524072
Except it doesn't run on the machine. That game was made for previous hardware. Sony runs the game and streams it to you. That's what you're paying for.

It still seems expensive though but I'm no computer engineer.
>>
File: tumblr_mht88wUw7a1r2g7mto1_1280.png (388 KB, 800x768) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mht88wUw7a1r2g7mto1_1280.png
388 KB, 800x768
>streaming games

Right when I think I heard everything
>>
>>329525584

It isn't because Catherine goes on sale for 5 dollars on PSN all the time. Maybe the OP just needs to fork money for a PS3 if he still needs to catch up.

I wonder if OP is only finding out the PS4 doesn't have BC now.
>>
>>329525643
Dude, it's entirely relevant to the discussion. I'm not trying to shit on Sony specifically, it's just that OP is posting about ownership and PSN specifically.

I buy digital shit anyway. It's just a fact of the modern age.
>>
>>329526383
>Dude, it's entirely relevant to the discussion

No it isn't. People don't have reason to think that what they buy digitally isn't theirs.
>>
>>329526663
you usually can resell things you own
>>
The PSN store is an absolute fucking disgrace. It really is. I've never seen such a mess in my life.

The PS3 one should probably be illegal.
>>
>>329526834

Which is why there is a black market of PSN accounts if you look around.
>>
>>329527169
>You forget that there's literally nothing wrong with this because it's based Sony.

But there is literally nothing wrong with this. Do you want Sony to let retards like OP buy PS3 games on their PS4 machines only to scream that they can't run them?
>>
>>329526663
>don't have a reason to think that what they buy digitally isn't theirs

Except that it is explained in the T&C/EULA they are supposed to read. They should be aware of that. Not knowing doesn't make it not true.

OP: why is this a rental? I can't even own it? This is bullshit.
Me: You don't own anything you buy digitally anyway
You: shut up, he didn't need to know that!

What?
>>
>>329527549
>Me: You don't own anything you buy digitally anyway

No, seriously, what is the point of bringing this up? Paranoid people afraid of digital content being taken from them shound't buy digital content because ALL digital storefronts work like this, from iTunes to Steam to PSN.
>>
>>329528882
It's making him aware of something I inferred he did not previously know, given his creation of this thread.

I don't care if it changes his behavior or yours, I wanted to make sure he knew it.
>>
>>329524859
>>329525008
Great, now run that demo on the Wii.
>>
>>329529640

Keep up the good work.
>>
>>329526009
Welcome to 2008 with Onlive.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.