[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /v/'s thoughts on the Souls Series?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (402 KB, 1600x827) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
402 KB, 1600x827
What are /v/'s thoughts on the Souls Series?
>>
Mediocre
>>
Good games, terrible fan base
>>
good fanbase terrible games
>>
Fantastic niche games
Terrible AAA games
>>
>>329481254

Best when played first time. Great series with great games yet awfully overhyped in terms of difficulty and obnoxious fanbase after the series went mainstream.
>>
It's all the same game.
>>
File: 43.jpg (72 KB, 656x514) Image search: [Google]
43.jpg
72 KB, 656x514
>>329481254
I can appreciate what they give the current gaming climate of boring AAA games, however, I can't git gud so I appreciate them from afar
>>
I have yet to play a game that sucked me in and amazed like Dark Souls. First playthrough was incredible. Atmosphere, world- weapon- armor- enemy- design. Vague lore that fitted just perfect.
Played Demons Souls thereafter and it was a worthy predecessor, but not as well rounded in every aspect as DS.
DS2 was a bit of a letdown for me. It was missing the typical "souls vibe". The series became mainstream and lackluster. Still fun, but worlds apart from the first two games.
Bloodborne was very enjoyable, even close to DS1 in some parts, but I hadnt had the same sense of awe, even though it did everything right.
I have low expectations for DS3 after DS2, but Im still gonna try it of course.
>>
Best fantasy RPGs of 2010s
>>
>>329482574

Pretty much this.
>>
>>329482574
Why is the fanbase terrible? I didnt even know there really was much of one.
>>
>>329486947
Just go to any souls thread and you'll see why.
>>
>>329487119
I'm on another one right now and I see what you mean.

but I really enjoy these game. The enviroments and character design always draws me in and some of the lore is really interesting. Gameplay is fun and the variety of weapons gives it replayablity. Ive been playing since demons souls but Id say I like each installment just about the same.
>>
Demon's blew my mind when I first played it
I liked it a lot, game played really well and did a few unique things when it came out compared to other games in the same genre

Dark souls was also great, I knew more of what to expect, but it still went beyond my expectations. When they first said open world I was worried it would be shitty and empty like oblivion. It wasn't the world actually felt complete, connected and alive well more dying i guess. It was really the backdrops and the setting more than anything else. Felt somewhat rushed near the end

Dark Souls 2 was still good but was just more of Dark Souls, the game played out very similar to the first game. The intro to draglanic was rather fitting. This is where enemies and bosses started to get stale or they would just put more enemies rather than new ones or unique ones.
>>
>>329481254
Bloodborne isn't part of Souls series
>>
File: free shrugs.jpg (103 KB, 500x715) Image search: [Google]
free shrugs.jpg
103 KB, 500x715
Great games. I've put about 2000 hours into the series between all four games (probably more desu).

That being said, I really hope it ends with Dark Souls 3. The yearly releases have to stop or it's gonna burn out quickly.
>>
>>329487781
A big problem I had with DS2 is that almost any boss could be easily beaten by constantly attacking from behind.
>>
>>329488146
DaS 3 has been in development since 2013
>>
>>329488292

Okay? The games have been releasing yearly since Dark Souls 2. I'm not saying they're poorly made or don't have enough development time, i'm saying that they're going to get old if this keeps up. The series needs to end and they need to focus on something different (Armored Core perhaps) or they need to space them out more.
>>
Favorite game series of all time.

The worst game, DaS II, is still better than most other games.
>>
Dank
>>
>>329481254
Darkgrim shit that I can't even begin to make myself care about. If the aesthetic wasn't so edgy and gay I could probably get into it but alas that's not how things turned out.
>>
>>329488383
Dark Souls 2 released in 2014.
I think this will be the latest one. I hope so
Maybe From can do a new King's Field or Shadow Tower or something
>>
>>329488254
yep the only one i found interesting at first was the skeleton chariot thing until you broke its thing and attacked it from behind
>>
>>329488383
i don't disagree with you but its what sells for them its FROMs COD
>>
File: 1449258206526.jpg (529 KB, 1230x981) Image search: [Google]
1449258206526.jpg
529 KB, 1230x981
>>329488609
>Darkgrim
>>
>>329488383
True. I'm pretty sure DS3 is the last in the series but you never know. They could go full retard and make bloodborne 2..
>>
>>329481254
>What are /v/'s thoughts on the Souls Series?

Overrated, has tons of flaws but offers things what many other games don't.

Online aspect and the platforming is fucking garbage, though.
>>
My thoughts is why the fuck do new releases cost $90 here in Aus?

Is there anyway I can get DS3 for a reasonable $60 here?
>>
>>329481254
Only played the first das, 50 hours in and already kinda bored. I dont get how people can sunk hundreds of hours into each of these games
>>
>>329481254
It's garbage lapped up by inbred to feel better about themselves. Only facebook-tier players could possibly find the game hard, and only retards could possibly think hard = good anyway. Likewise, only the dumbest could possibly equate tedium with difficulty.
>>
>>329489006
Making your money not be worth 2/3s of American money might help. Just a thought..
>>
is dark souls take place before demons souls?
>>
artificial
>>
>>329484240
DaS3 looks really good
>>
Amazing games that attract a metric fuckton of shitposting.
>>
>>329489135
Its really not that bad of a game. Its funny to the see the opposite end of the fanboy spectrum though.
>>
>>329489135
git gud
>>
>>329481254
They're all pretty shit and unpolished. Undertale is a better RPG experience that every single one of those games, the combat is actually good and innovative and story is top tier.
>>
File: manon.jpg (282 KB, 900x502) Image search: [Google]
manon.jpg
282 KB, 900x502
BB > DaS > DeS (would be above das if it had dlc) > DaS 2

>>329482574
>terrible dark souls and dark souls 2 fan base

fixed. DeS and BB are great
>>
>Dark souls > Demon souls > Dark souls 2 > Slashy Souls > Bloodborne

debate me
>>
File: 1448341632137.png (1 MB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1448341632137.png
1 MB, 900x900
>>329490991
Good one friendo, I'm sure you'll get a bunch of (You)s if you polish you bait a little.
>>
>>329486947
pc gamers
>>
>>329491181
I'm dead serious. I'm sorry that you have such poor taste in video games.
>>
>>329481254

Shit games for hipster weeb faggots who thought TES was too mainstream.
>>
>>329491145
There's no need.

That's pretty much the correct order.
>>
>>329491145
wrong
demons > bloodborne > dark > dark 2
>>
>>329490102
It's mediocre at best, chuckfull of flaws you'd expect to see only in indie games made by a couple people. In particular, the controls are super-clunky and the gameplay loop is taken straight from the 90's in a bad way - i.e. all the awkwardness without the difficulty, interactivity or design inspiration.
>>
>>329481254
It should be played. A lot of opinions get tossed on this board. One thing for certain is that a game should be played, or shouldn't be given the time of day.

All soul series games should be played at least once.
>>
>>329481254
It's alright, but it's weird how DaS and DaS 2 are polar opposites.
What DaS did right, DaS2 did wrong and vice versa
I hope DaS3 will focus on adding the best of both world
And give us full moddability, damn it, I want to create custom models and shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (249 KB, 1106x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
249 KB, 1106x600
>god-tier
BB and DeS

>great-tier
SotFS

>meme-tier
DaS
>>
>>329493440
What did DaS 2 do right that DaS didn't?
>>
>>329491145
BB > DaS 2 > DaS > DeS

no debate needed, I have real critics on my side
>>
>>329491064
Dark Souls 1 has a decent fanbase too.
Dark Souls 2 is the black sheep of the family even in terms of fanbase.
>>
>>329493530
(You)
>>
>>329493780
>darksouls 1 has a decent fanbase

maybe before AotA, before PCucks shat on it
>>
>>329493562
The framerate, for example
Visuals were cleaner, no more DoF after 2 feet
Level design felt better in some parts, but at other times it was empty and the level placement was retarded (earthen peak and iron keep)
The character creator was also somewhat better, but only so little
I personally enjoyed the combat a bit more, as well, it felt more fast-paced, but at the same time some of the weapons felt too floaty

It has positives and negatives, but so does DaS
I still liked both, though, despite what people say
>>
>>329493897
>>329493530
he's right though.
>>
DaS>DeS>BB>DS2

All of them are great games though
>>
>>329491064
DaS 2 dlc is better than DaS as a whole

so how is it fair DaS gets > DeS?

especially considering DaS is literal garbage outside of sens and anor

>>329493954
I remember those fucks crying about Sens and S&O way before PC was even announced
>>
>>329482574
How is the fanbase terrible? I've never seen any examples of the fanbase being bad. The worst thing that happened was the pc port and the pc fags creating shitty memes about the game.
>>
>>329493984
>Visuals were cleaner
And the art design was really unspired.

>Level design felt better in some parts
Literally never. Plus it had a shit ton of bad enemy placement.

>I personally enjoyed the combat a bit more, as well, it felt more fast-paced, but at the same time some of the weapons felt too floaty
Added dumb mechanics like agi/adp. Altered the DaS animations which had really good weight to them and removed kicking. I'm glad DaS 3 is coming back to DaS animations.

I still enjoyed it but I felt it was inferior in almost every way
>>
File: 1448701779431.gif (637 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
1448701779431.gif
637 KB, 500x363
Personally?
BB=DeS>DaS>DaS2
I'm not really all that fussed about the story of it all, I just rate games on how they feel to play. That said, I personally find DaS and DaS2 pretty close, but I'd rate DaS higher because of the variety in the world, I suppose. They were alright on a first playthrough, but new characters start at such a crawl it's hard to get invested in the gameplay.

That said, I can't wait to see the moonlight return again in DaS3. It has a lot to live up to after BB.
>>
>>329494091
DaS is better than DeS and Bloodborne.
>>
>>329491749
This nigga gets it.
>>
>>329494692
considering dlc? fuck no

not considering dlc? fuck no

even scholar is better than das
>>
>>329481254
I am a fan of the series and frequently take part in autistic debates and arguments here on /v/ to the enjoyment and benefit of people who don't give a fuck about them. I'm a small part of the reason there are a hunder souls threds at any given time and I know many people adore that fact.

Kisses to you, Souls series haters and trolls.
>>
>>329494840
Explain.

>even scholar is better than das
Oh you're just baiting, nevermind.
>>
File: 1446124089254.jpg (965 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1446124089254.jpg
965 KB, 1600x900
I never cared for them but as of late I'm kind of wishing I did. Around the time Demon Souls PC version came out I was thinking about getting it, but the reports of abysmal keyboard+mouse controls made me reconsider and I never got into it.

I still kind of want to but even more I really wish the cyber souls game concept that gets posted around here often with pic related would be made, and I would definitely play that, I like that kind of aesthetic and genre more, especially if it plays or looks like a mixture of E.Y.E. and Dark/Demons Souls.
>>
>>329489208
Demon's Souls takes place first.

If you choose to put the Old One back to sleep then the world loses magic once again, and after a time the Old One dies and the world goes dark. Fragments of the Old One are then later found and come to be known as Lord Souls, with the Old One's heart being the eponymous Dark Soul.

If you choose to serve the Old One, then its power and magic grows, and from its power other creatures are spawned. You become one of the most powerful and take up residence in the moon whilst the other awoken demons spread throughout the world, mixing with the mortals until one day their power grows and transcends the physical mortal plane. Eventually scholars find the ruins of the civilisations these great demons ruled over, and the remains of their soul power which they came to call the Old Blood.

The games aren't connected, aside from DS1/2/3, ya dingus.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.