[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Be honest, which one of the factors listed below affects your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 1450256212588.jpg (36 KB, 500x348) Image search: [Google]
1450256212588.jpg
36 KB, 500x348
Be honest, which one of the factors listed below affects your interest and purchases the most?

a) the IP
b) the publisher
c) the studio
d) the developers
>>
None of those, really. I have niche tastes and specific criteria I look for, and if a game happens to align with them, I'll research it, and if it turns out to be worthwhile, I'll buy it.
>>
File: 1453488796355.jpg (103 KB, 900x892) Image search: [Google]
1453488796355.jpg
103 KB, 900x892
Anything Paradox / Heart of Iron.
>>
>>329438238
>Marketer detected

HOW ABOUT HOW GOOD THE FUCKING GAME LOOKS?
>>
The developers, it's the only thing that matters. Look at DS2, Same IP, same publisher, same studio, different game director.
It didn't live up to DS1
>>
They are all factors but never the most crucial factors.
>>
>>329438432
Anon pls. If you had two games with similiar gameplay and equally appealing graphics, you wouldn't randomly pick one over the other.
>>
>>329438612
So you're asking why people would buy Hyrule Warriors but not Dynasty Warriors?
>>
>>329438612
I'd look at gameplay videos of both and see which one looked better. It would boil down to story at that point.

If not that, music.
>>
I want to say the developers, but since I'm too lazy to follow them I go for studios and just try to pay attention to major staff changes.
>>
>>329438238

Gameplay.
>>
>>329438859
That's more effort than I'm willing to believe most of /v/ goes through. You hardly see people bringing up devs unless it's Kojima or Kamiya or less specific like 'the Osaka team'. The one time /v/ is conscious about developers is when it's for shitty indie titles or kickstarter scams where the teams are so small it's like one dude making the whole thing.
>>
e) How the game looks and feels
>>
1- Studio
2- IP
3- Publisher

Developers never really come into the equation unless they're someone I really like, for example I first got interested in Dishonoured when I found out Viktor Antonov was doing the art
>>
>>329439165
If I HAD to pick one from the list, it would have to pick the studio. If I see shit from like, platinum, it's usually a sure-buy for me.

Depending on how the game looks, faggot. W101 looked like shit, so I didn't get it.
>>
>>329439464
W101 isn't shit, but the nonstandard gameplay sequences last about three times as long as they need to.
>>
>>329439585
Everybody says it's great, and it's by a great company, on a shit system.

However, it LOOKS like shit, so all that other shit is irrelevant to me.
>>
>>329438238
>shit options
nice research
>>
>>329439221

So nothing piques your interest until there's gameplay footage?
>>
>>329439687
I just want you guys to admit that you buy games because they've got familiar logos attached and all that talk about devs is pretension. Nobody is paying me to stay home on a weekday and browse 4chan like a lazy shit.
>>
>>329439895
Not even him, but yes.
>>
File: 16994735348_4c26bd3b54_b.jpg (346 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
16994735348_4c26bd3b54_b.jpg
346 KB, 1024x682
>>329438238
Publisher and IP. Can't really say what I weigh the most. Publisher obviously because you know if the game is good or bad, like you always stay away from EA games because they are shit, and Ubisoft games has a 10% chance of being good at best.

Also I don't play weebshit since Japan stopped making good games after 2004.
>>
ip works for "i recognize this brand, and i expect another title in it to be similar"
this reduces the perceived risk to the customer, even before your series goes on for decades and idiots start to build their identities around your ip

the publisher typically works as a negative
from the consumer's perspective the publisher's decisions amount mostly to how they intend to fuck them
freemium, broken releases, multilayer drm schemes, etc

if a studio gets consistent projects to work on it falls in with the ip
if it doesn't then they'll be thought of in terms of their best and their worst products when assessing how likely the project they've been given will be a pile of shit

the developers are mostly invisible except to people that really keep an eye on the industry, and their role in a team will determine how much you expect their own talent to influence the end result
in small teams or when they are in lead position the expectation will be high that the game will fall in with their portfolio
when they're just cogs they don't matter all that much

so if a publisher is a dumpster fire it probably matters the most, and if they are neutral to good, then the ip is probably the highest priority in this garbage list of options
>>
>>329440012

So a sequel to your favourite game is announced, you don't care?

I don't get hyped for stuff like that but I'm at least more likely to read news on it
>>
>>329439895
Well I suppose a description of the gameplay should it exist would also do as something to interest me, but to inform my decisions of purchase gameplay footage and/or a demo is the king.
>>
>>329440141
>played Dark Souls 1
>Loved it
>Dark souls 2 is announced
>HYPE as fuck for it
>Watch some gameplay post-release
>The fuck is this shit?
QED.
>>
>IP

If this is your most important factor, you are the cancer that is killling gaming by buying the same shit over and over.
>>
None of these options can make me buy a game on their own.
They can make me ignore a game though.
>>
>>329440146
>demo
I'm honestly 90% more likely to buy a game once I've tested it, as videos are more often than not bullshots.
>>
>>329438238
IP only if I'm already familiar with it and like/dislike it, which is pretty rare since most game IP's I liked died ages ago and I usually don't play new IPs.

Publisher I don't really pay attention to at all unless it's also the dev/studio

Studio (assuming you mean the group name of the developers) colors my decision me a bit, but I realize that company names are mainly bullshit and people move around a lot in most companies, still a game from a studio with a constant track record for quality I will giver more consideration than another game.

Devs would be the strongest influence on me, but it has to be more than just a big name guy, but a team of people with proven previous works.
>>
>>329438238
e) that advise Monkey Island gave me over 20 years ago.
That's about $36.25 in today's prices, the highest I'll go fro a computer or video game unless it's some sort of retro rarity I'm trying to collect.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.