[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This game was so ahead of it's time...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: SoulReaver.jpg (104 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
SoulReaver.jpg
104 KB, 1024x768
What happened /v/?
>>
>>329410359
it was filled to burst with sliding block puzzles
>>
>Block Puzzles
>Ahead of its time
>>
I remember the voice acting for this was insane at the time
>>
Fucking blocks , man.
>you are now hearing raziel's block pushing audio
>Chink chink, shhhhh click click, shhhh click click
>>
File: 1359685421392.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1359685421392.gif
2 MB, 320x180
>>329410359
>Too many box puzzles
>Property owned by a shit company that would rather turn the property into a F2P FPS than do something simple like re-release them with new textures and removing a few box puzzles while keeping the original audio.
>>
I kinda liked the puzzles. Does that make me a faggot?

>>329410793
Ffuck
>>
>>329410359
Soul Reaver had above average story and mediocre everything else
>>
>>329410359
I never played this or Blood Omen when they released. Are they worth checking out now?
>>
best intro ever
>>
that fucking 30 minute unskipable cutscene
>>
>>329411872
Soul Reaver's cool, if a bit repetitive. The block puzzles are not exaggerated though, there are a fuckton of them.
>>
>>329411872
Games didn't age well. Poor framerate and camera control. Emulate soul reaver on PC to improve it. The story is really good and the game is basically a mature Zelda. Give it a shot if you want
>>
>>329411872
Blood Omen on PS1 has incredibly slow loading times, PC version is capped at 40fps and the animations all look really slow because of it.

So it's just a matter of pick your poison really.
>>
File: iq-blocks.jpg (47 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
iq-blocks.jpg
47 KB, 800x600
>>329412079
I already got a ps1 game with block puzzles. I was under the impression that it was more action oriented.
>>
File: timeline.gif (57 KB, 1024x730) Image search: [Google]
timeline.gif
57 KB, 1024x730
>>329410359
>This game was so ahead of it's time

Is that a pun? Seriously even with charts and graphs I can't make sense of this franchise's story at all.
>>
File: FwEK0.jpg (524 KB, 2791x1745) Image search: [Google]
FwEK0.jpg
524 KB, 2791x1745
>>329412913
to be honest, this makes me more interested in playing it.
>>
>>329413231
To be fair, Blood Omen is sort of an open and shut story. The rest of the games had to conform around that and it goes as well as you'd think it does.
>>
>>329411750
now its fine
its just the reason people get turned off by it
>>
>>329412482
Its story oriented
the enemies are simple puzzles in themselves since you need to kill them specific ways (what with them being vampires and all)
I'd say watch soul reaver's intro scene to hook you but that will spoil blood omen
hell most if not all memorable scenes spoil one of the games
just give it a try
>>
If you had to compare this series' gameplay with another popular series, what would be the closest comparison?
>>
>>329415216
Blood Omen is like Zelda, Soul Reaver onwards is Tomb Raider
>>
>>329415216
>Blood Omen
Any 2D Zelda

>Soul Reaver
PS1 Tomb Raiders + N64 Zeldas

>Soul Reaver 2
^^^

>Defiance
Watered down Devil May Cry

no BO2 because I don't think anyone should acknowledge its existence
>>
>>329415353
I wouldn't say tomb raider. More like a 3d Zelda. You learn new abilities and spells as you progress. You increase your health by finding heart pieces or whatever. Also it's open worldish
>>
The spectral realm was heavily underused. Could have been so much more gameplay wise.
>>
>Blood Omen
Masterpiece, will forever be remembered as one of the best story telling games ever made.

>Soulreaver
Mediocre, blatantly unfinished was rehashed into a LoK game from another game, story was basic and lackluster but not bad, had a decent amount of exploration. gained enough popularity to get a sequel.

>Soulreaver 2
Horrible game, shit story, linear gameplay, even more unfinished than the first game.

>Blood Omen 2
Another rehashed game, contrived plot barely fits into any of the other games plot, complete mess of a game both story and mechanically.

>Defiance
Desperate attempt to fix loose ends and plot holes, fails horribly. abysmal game was the final nail in the coffin that killed the series.
>>
>>329410359
>What happened /v/?

The downfall of video games, and society.
>>
>>329416653
Your opinion is yours

I disagree but you're allowed your options and I'm sure you have a very good justification for your vitriol against every post-BO game
>>
>>329416653
>Soulreaver 2
>shit story,
>>
>>329416653
Well meme'd my friend
>>
>>329417154
Soul reaver 2's ending was to fucking notch
>>
>>329416653
>Blood Omen
>Masterpiece
>Will forever be remembered
>One of the best storytelling games ever made

OK buddy, whatever helps you sleep at night
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.