[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>social commentary was loud and in your face, unlike the subtleness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: TrevorPhilips-GTAV.jpg (63 KB, 617x602) Image search: [Google]
TrevorPhilips-GTAV.jpg
63 KB, 617x602
>social commentary was loud and in your face, unlike the subtleness of past games
>the plot was unfocused and lead to nowhere with no likeable or memorable characters
>features the most lazily and poor written protagonist in the series, Trevor.

How did Rockstar go from writing Oscar-quality stuff like GTA4 to the pile of shit that was GTAV?
>>
>>329359339
I thought it was fun, fight me
>>
nice meme kid
>>
>>329359339
GTA was always in your face, especially the top down games. It just feels subtle compared to shit like Saint's Row.
>>
>>329359339
>subtle commentary
>literally dick jokes and pop culture references from VC onwards

>Trevor is a lazy character
>the only one who actually commits heinous crimes
>the one who is somewhat a victim of Michael's
>the one who actually ends up being the most likeable despite all that

>lazier than Boring Black Guy and Impotent Tommy Vercetti

I'll give you the bullshit plot but honestly anon the previous games weren't exactly avant-garde
>>
File: 1456374086896.jpg (13 KB, 224x219) Image search: [Google]
1456374086896.jpg
13 KB, 224x219
>>329359339
>>social commentary was loud and in your face, unlike the subtleness of past games
>>
really all gta was to me was finding that spot in the fence by the airport where you just fell through it and lost a bit of health when you landed back on the road.
>>
>>329359339
Trevor is the only good character though.

I have to say there is a noticable drop in quality of the story from IV to V. It felt too rushed and incoherent.
>>
>>329360107
>>329362717
Comparatively speaking, I'd say IV's characters and story were superior.

Franklin was basically a poor man's Luis
>>
If they didn't job Johnny to Trevor, I would have liked him a lot more. But that was the stupidest part of the game by far. Didn't even bother to explain why Johnny gave into addiction to be a literal cuckold. You can spin this however you fucking want, and every single time it makes no sense and was not needed.
>>
>>329363871
I actually liked Johnny too, he was pretty straight in TLaD and sufficiently badass to assault a prison and survive. Only time he was actively stupid was when he cheated Ray for the diamonds and got Jim killed.
>>
>>329360107
Fuck off Trevor was a piece of shit made for edgelords
>>
>>329364031

Watch that edge son.
>>
>>329364183
He's not completely wrong
>>
>>329359339
>unlike the subtleness of past games
really
>>
>>329363871
who gives a fuck
>>
File: rectangle.jpg (162 KB, 624x422) Image search: [Google]
rectangle.jpg
162 KB, 624x422
>I play gta for the social commentary and plot
>>
>>329365265
I think the general thought is, the gameplay is decent enough so we're looking for a decent story to accompany it and it was comparatively worse than a previous entry
>>
>blow through the story missions in a day
>no reason to keep playing after the story ends
>GTA Online is ass

GTA V is unquestionably the blunder of the millennium for me

I'll never pre order anything again, no matter how big its marketing budget
>>
>>329364031

Pretty much but do you have any idea how many o

>>329363871

Johnny was a bitch and a cuck the entire time during the L&D. If you choose the execution method on Billy he hesitates and billy mocks him
>>
File: 1433017936680.jpg (70 KB, 618x579) Image search: [Google]
1433017936680.jpg
70 KB, 618x579
>>329363871
>mfw I shot dead Packie in a fucking unmarked random event as Franklin

OVER THE FECKIN LOINE
>>
>>329363871
Johnny was always a little bitch.
>oh guys. We're too violent
>I didn't join a violent and ruthless criminal organization to be violent and ruthless.
>change this entire organization to accommodate my beliefs
Typical jew really.
>>
>>329360107
>the one who actually ends up being the most likeable despite all that

Not surprising that neo-/v/ is full of underage edgelords
>>
>>329359339
>>social commentary was loud and in your face, unlike the subtleness of past games
MY COUSIN AMERICA IS SO TERRIBLE LETS COMPLAIN ABOUT AMERICA IN A HUNDRED OVERLY LONG CONVERSATIONS
>>
>>329360107
>>the one who actually ends up being the most likeable despite all that
I haven't even finished the game yet (got stuck in MP and then kinda forgot about it), and there is nothing he could do to ever redeem himself. He could all well sacrifice himself for a school full of amputee orphans, but that doesn't undo all the shit he's done.
>>
>>329366005
>pisswassler this is beer
>drive drunk off a pier
So fucking subtle right?
>>
As someone who finally decided to finish the game last week, I feel you OP. I enjoyed the flow of the story and everything up until about halfway through, and then it sort of just fell apart. The social commentary got worse, Trevor's extreme nature got worse, and the ending felt rushed.

The game play was great and the world is pretty good too, and that's what is most important to me. I wish the story missions could have been better (especially toward the end) but it was still an enjoyable game.
>>
>>329359339
GTA 4 had a shit story. Gay tony was the only good thing to come from it.
>>
>>329364031
Trevor is what the very game is
>>
>>329359339
>playing gta games for the story
>>
>>329359339
>GTA4
>subtle social commentary

DUDE AMERICA IS CORRUPT LMAO
>>
>>329366937
Which is laughably more subtle than working with corrupt government agents for most of the game
>>
>>329359339
Points 2 and 3 are right

>implying GTA has ever been subtle
There are differences in the presentation and writing but it's never been "subtle." You are a babby who probably started with GTA4
>>
GTA IV is the best GTA thanks to the floaty physics engine. I don't think I've played any game where I've had more fun than in GTA IV's multiplayer modes.
>>
>>329367050
how did they go from ultimate fun in GTA IV online to no fun allowed in GTA V online

it boggles the mind
>>
Micheal was the true edge-lord character of the game. Trevor just seemed more like comic-relief from the angsty Micheal bull shit
>>
>>329367118
when they knew they could make millions off of the online part alone by making grinding money horrible
>>
>>329366295
A character doesn't have to be morally good to be a good character. Trevor is insane by all regards, but that fact serves to illustrate how insane Los Santos has become, being that he is capable of recognizing and at times dealing with major ethical dilemmas.

He's played for laughs a lot, but the idea of what he is can be entertaining.
>>
>>329359339
I liked the characters. Franklin wad a little weak but the other two were great. Michael was best of all.
>>
>>329365265
I don't think that's all that awful a statement to make. Sure, the main plot can be barebones, but the background, radio stations, and character history serves as a valid social commentary.

It's like South Park. Sure, it's puerile. But that comes with the medium.
>>
>>329359339
Wow. It's almost like the game is trying to be satirical.
>>
>>329367526
He can be fun at times, when violence is not included. For example, the bit where you drive hat mob guys wife back to the ranch was priceless.
Yeah, maybe I've grown old, but the meaningless shock violence doesn't entertain me at all, quite the opposite.
>>
>3 characters

worst mistake ever
>>
>>329359339
>>features the most lazily and poor written protagonist in the series, Trevor.
He's the most complicated protagonist in the series, you must have made a mistake OP
>>
>>329367861
Elaborate.
>>
>>329368602
WHEN I SWITCH BACK TO FRANKLIN I WANT HIM TO BE IN HIS FUCKING GROVE STREET OG RAGS THAT I PUT HIM IN NOT SOME FUCKING JEANS AND SHIRT
>>
>>329359339
>Oscar-quality stuff
˝>GTA4

kek
>>
>>329359339
And it was the best GTA game ever.
Talking about butthurt.
>>
File: ISHYGDDT.png (197 KB, 458x419) Image search: [Google]
ISHYGDDT.png
197 KB, 458x419
>>329359339
>GTA IV
>Oscar quality writing
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.