[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name a better one.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
Name a better Total War game.

Protip: You can't.

>inb4 Rome 1.
I'll just stop you right there before you embarrass yourself, senpai.
>>
>>329248513
i liked empire more
>>
Why begin a thread with such pretentious arrogance?
>>
Attila is better, too bad it costs over 100 bucks if you want all the content. Fucking jews.
>>
>>329248513
It's a bit too slow

Rome 1 is fast paced. Units react to your orders and massacres are carried out quickly. A cavalry charge in M2TW barely kills 5 men. A Cataphract charge in RTW fucking decimates what's ahead and routs them immediately.
>>
>>329248513
Shogun 2 comes close. I just like the trait system.
Please bring it back for Warhammer Total War.
>>
File: 3124132131.jpg (113 KB, 300x412) Image search: [Google]
3124132131.jpg
113 KB, 300x412
That's easy,
>>
>>329248513
M2 vanilla is worse than half of the total war releases
>>
>>329248513
M2 is literally just Rome 1 with more heavy cav

M2 controls like ass since on any unit size other than small there is massive lag on unit orders

the game is only good because of modding potential and community
>>
>>329248837
The most fucking overrated game ever made
>>
>>329248606
Cav sucks in Empire, though.

Also, you have to crush like four rebellions every time you take over a place.
>>
File: 1428352115697.jpg (44 KB, 500x299) Image search: [Google]
1428352115697.jpg
44 KB, 500x299
I got Rome I on the lunar new year sale for super cheap. It's the first Total War I've played, really enjoying it so far. Unfortunately, my game keeps crashing every time I load 2 out of 3 of my saves. I think they're corrupted. The other one works, but it was something like 40 turns behind the others and I don't know if I have the heart to try and replicate how much Pontic ass I was kicking. I captured Byzantine, Halicarnassus, and the Lighthouse and was in a position to finish off Britain, but now I'm back down to something like 30 territories instead of 40-something.
>>
>>329248848
>M2 is literally just Rome 1

Rome 1 and M2TW play incredibly different. In fact they're almost the two opposite extremes of the series.
>>
>>329248751
>A cavalry charge in Medieval II barely kills five men.

Mate, are you serious? Sometimes men die so fast on a cav charge the unit counter can't even keep up. Even spearmen don't stand a chance against an initial heavy cav charge.
>>
>people mentioning all these modern Total War games

Lmfao @ anyone who didn't stop playing at Empire
>>
Rome 2 after all the DLCs and patches.
>>
>>329248996
Ah shit, that sucks.

Try looking around online to see if there's any fix if they're not already corrupted.

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
>>
>>329248910
It's the best controlling total war with the most graphical polish and solid design. Med 2 was busted shit and even though it's my favorite, Shogun 2 is without a doubt the best TW. It moves just fast enough to be engaging but can play slow enough to react tactically. It's Rome 1 with better everything.

The only flaw in Shogun 2 is faction diversity, but even then, the gameplay makes it up by giving every unit a reason to exist. Furthermore it has some of the best expansions. Fall of the Samurai alone is an amazingly engaging campaign wrapped around Medieval vs. Modern gameplay that leads to a host of different tactics and mixtures of units. The whole package is fucking awesome.
>>
if attila didnt run like absolute shit even on a haswell i7/980ti pc it would easily be the best
>>
Rome 2 and attilla are best
>>
>>329249415
Shogun 2 had the best multiplayer by far, nothing was more satisfying than wrecking full FOTS armies with kisho ninja, katana cav, and bow monks
>>
>>329249335
Tried restarting my computer, tried re-installing the game, no dice. It'll launch just fine on my 165 BC save, but if I go to the 140-something saves it goes to the load screen and immediately crashes from there. I'll look around for something like that though, but I probably won't get around to it until Thursday or Friday.

If I'm going to start back from 165 again, I think this time I'll shore up my defenses along Britain's frontier and just go weaken Pontus instead of blitzing Britain this time. I want the Mausoleum and the lighthouse again. I can't go get Byzantine though, it was previously owned by my allies until the rebels took it over and I stole it back. Sucks too, I had a huge fleet blocking that channel from enemy movements, Byzantine was churning out max-upgrade Urban Cohorts, and I could cross troops into Pontic territory without risking a counter-attack. Breaking enemy sieges is my favorite part of this game so I think I'll just provoke one of Pontus' weak points and then watch them throw away armies trying to take it back.
>>
OP here.

My only real problem with Med II is why the fuck are crossbowmen better swordsmen than swordsmen? They somehow wreck my spearman's or mailed knight's shit every time.
>>
>>329249776
Fucking awesome. I used to not like Shogun 2 at first until patches and FotS came out. I still play Medieval 2 more because I like the roleplaying in Europe better (one of the reasons I like Attila more than Rome 2). But it's still the best in my mind. It also has the coolest battles to watch too, and for some reason it just runs leagues better than Rome 2 and Attila.

>>329249928
Depends on the crossbow unit, but most you just got to charge before they volley you. Either that or spam fuck them with arrows because crossbows can't compete with most archers.
>>
>>329249928
Because vanilla mtw2 like rtw1 is fucking shit.

The modern tw are more better in vanilla form. Only mods saved those two fucking game.

Although the real best tw is mtw 1, rtw1 and mwt2 babby need not apply
>>
>>329249928
Did your dudes eat a couple of volleys before they come to blows?
>>
File: smugtilla.jpg (40 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
smugtilla.jpg
40 KB, 600x300
>>329248513

Attila
>>
>>329250348
Well Attila with Charlesmange I love.

Too bad we're getting nickle and dimed for every little thing under the sun. Sega could really just fuck off right now because the only dlc I bought since RotS was Charlesmange.
>>
Shogun 2 (particularly with Fall of the Samurai expansion) and Attila.

Certainly, Medieval 2 has a lot of good about it. Its combat engine, like Rome 1, has realistic considerations for units (like proper unit collision) rather than combat resolution being entirely based on unit stats. I think Medieval 2 has the best speed for battles out of any TW games. I think the pool-based recruitment system would solve many issues in recent TW-games. I like the involved mechanics in terms of generals/governors gaining traits and retinue. And there are a bunch more I didn't list.

But on the other hand, the AI is utterly worthless both on the battlefield and campaign map, diplomacy for example is completely worthless. It's glitchy as fuck. There simply isn't any degree of worthwhile endgame since you effectively start in winning position (after you've captured the independents, you're already pretty much untouchable by the AI). The UI is inferior to modern TW games. It lacks all the numerous improvements from superior unit replenishment system to ability to control 40 units. And so forth.

And more importantly, while I could list a bunch of other faults or things modern TW does better, the thing is, terrible AI for example is a gamebreaking problem (it's not like I couldn't beat S2/Attila AI or anything, they're not exactly good, but at least they put up some resistance and don't act seemingly by random in diplomacy, which is "good enough").

Medieval 2 has some stellar total conversion mods (such as Third Age: Total War and Stainless Steel) that either fix its issues to a degree or compensate for them with their really neat settings or other factors, but M2 isn't my favoured game to play at this point even with mods, and I simply wouldn't play it vanilla. I won't go into detail about this, but I would also argue Rome 1 was "better for its time", although I consider it more redundant than modded M2 at this point.
>>
>>329250245
Sometimes. But, I mean, this happens every time. It makes fighting Milan really difficult because all they ever stock up on are crossbowmen and militia.

Mailed knights should be cutting through them like a knife through butter, but they always kill way too many of my knights before they go down, or my spearmen for that matter.
>>
>>329248837
I can get behind this. Good combat, good graphix, design.
>>
>>329248837
OUR MEN ARE RANNING FROM DA BATTERFIERD!
>>
>>329250953
My best advice is treat mailed knights as elites and bring some trash infantry for absorbing bolts. In lieu of armored targets, crossbow men will shoot at your sarge-spears. Always back that up with a line of archers when dealing with crossbows unless you having good crossbows yourself (merc crossbows are decentish in early game). If you have mercs anyways let them take the blunt of the casualties.

Medieval 2's replenishment system is a lot more indepth and the less damage you can have your knights take is the better.
>>
I like empire.
>>
>>329248837
Yes, I think Shogun 2 (particularly with Fall of the Samurai expansion) is the best.

Best combat pacing, the most polished, the least bad AI, best period detail, really nice talent trees (I ultimately still prefer trait and retinue acquisition, but S2 does talents almost as well), involved agent gameplay with agents useful for tasks other than crippling enemy armies and generals (which gets tiresome), faction variety is limited for obvious reasons but the unit types themselves are very nicely differentiated, at technical level the graphics are about as good as Attila but aesthetically they're the best in the series, the best multiplayer, it has all the advantages of modern Total War and manages to overcome its faults to a large extent (for example, while it's obviously not realistic, the kill move style combat of Warscape engine "works" because they've employed Samurai film-esque combat aesthetic, and FotS of course circumvents this problem by being ranged combat focused, which is what Warscape does well)...
>>
>Play Europa Barbarorum II

>It's a better Rome 2 than Rome 2 in every single conceivable way, with dozens of new gameplay additions that teaches you about the time period without the historical accuracy affecting gameplay

The only reason I play modern Rome 2/Attila is to remind myself how far the company has fallen now that everyone 45 years old or older is in senior executive positions or moved onto other companies and everyone who has been employed there since Empire has no idea what they are doing.

They did Shogun 2 because they realized that the engine they have created fails utterly on continental/global warfare scales but they rigged up a game where the Warscape engine makes sense, which is Shogun 2. Shogun 2 feels polished because it takes the mistakes from Empire and spins them into a positive. With Rome 2 they tried to take elements from Shogun 2 and make them work for a continent-wide Total War again which utterly failed- it's like there was a massive switch in employee's where people who made Shogun 2 knew they were trying to fix a massive problem and those who came after Shogun 2 thought that it was a masterpiece whose engine and gameplay could be transposed onto any setting.
>>
>>329248513

At this stage, Rome 2 is damn good. Atillia is fantastic from a gameplay perspective too, but dull due to the era.
>>
>>329252597

>Rome 2 is good

>Attila is dull due to the 'era'

>The fall of the Western Roman Empire and the rise of Orthodoxy amongst a tide of continental invaders and old Kingdoms vying for hegemony is 'dull'

Maybe this isn't the game series for you. I hear MOBA's are pretty popular these days.
>>
I can't remember the last time I played a vanilla M2 game. If I started one now it would feel weird not having orcs around.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.