[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you have a favorite 2D platforming series?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: 2d.png (1 MB, 1109x1017) Image search: [Google]
2d.png
1 MB, 1109x1017
Do you have a favorite 2D platforming series?
>>
>>329206801
Metroid.
>>
Yeah, Sonic, Kirby, Mario.
In that order.
>>
File: 1456725681056.png (1 MB, 1109x1017) Image search: [Google]
1456725681056.png
1 MB, 1109x1017
These ones, though Yoshi has never again reached the orgasmic heights of Yoshi's Island and probably never will, so I may stop buying those games.
>>
Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Sonic, and Mario.
>>
Does Castlevania count?
What about Klonoa?
>>
>>329206801
The one about the whiny blue robot and his cooler red best friend kicking walls.
>>
>>329207143
Why wouldn't they count? Castlevania has more 2D platformers than most things pictured in the OP
>>
File: facts.png (113 KB, 400x447) Image search: [Google]
facts.png
113 KB, 400x447
>>
Well DKC 2 is objectively the greatest 2D platformer of all time, but there are a fuckton of good platforming franchises.
>>
Kirby, Castlevania, Rayman

wasn't Ristar literally one game? it was really good though
>>
>>329207439
The best LINEAR 2D platformer of all time, you mean. After that it's personal preference whether you like that or Metroidvania games more.
>>
>>329207349
>Kirby
>Good

It's one of the most juvenile, boring, piss-easy snoozefests Nintendo has ever put out, and I will never understand how or why it has such a huge following here.
>>
>>329206801
The old Sonic's on the Mega Drive/Genesis(including Sonic CD) with Sonic 3 & Knuckles being my favorite game of all time

Throw in Sonic Advance 1 there too
>>
Wow im surprised people remembered earthworm jim and ristar. Those 2 were my favorite for sure. does vectorman count as a platformer or not really? because i love that one too
>>
Mega Man
>>
File: 1394069018222.jpg (3 MB, 3559x3433) Image search: [Google]
1394069018222.jpg
3 MB, 3559x3433
>>329208353
>I will never understand how or why it has such a huge following here
>never
Well in that case that saves a lot of arguing, at least you're not trying to hide the fact that you refuse to see things from another perspective
>>
>>329208353

Because of the bevvy of powerups, the general comfy feel of the game, and good music. It's like a nice stroll in the park. Also, you get a break from the norm with some great boss fights. It's sort of an acquired taste.
>>
File: 1416736167272.jpg (299 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1416736167272.jpg
299 KB, 1000x1000
Though I play Mario games the most, Rayman would probably be my favorite all-round. Someone burnt the Rayman 1 on a CD as well when I asked for Croc so Rayman 1 ended up being my 1st platformer, and I can't believe how much torture I went through to bring my skills from zero to top-tier thanks to pretty much every area in that game (especially Band Land/Jo's). Also, there's never been a bad Rayman game (excluding Rabbids) so that seals the deal. So:

>Best all-round
Rayman
>Most memorable
Mario (In particular New Super Mario Bros. Wii or 3)
>Best music
Mega Man (In particular MM 6 but 2,3 and 4 are close contenders)
>Best bosses
Rayman (In particular Rayman 3)
>Best pacing
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
>Best nostalgia
The Magic School Bus: Explores the Solar System or if it doesn't count, Sonic Adventure DX
>>
File: headdy7ok.png (596 KB, 441x642) Image search: [Google]
headdy7ok.png
596 KB, 441x642
>Ristar
>Scrooge
>No Headdy
Bad taste, OP.
>>
>>329210810
I should probably play this game.
>>
>>329206801
Abe's Oddysey / Exodus are $0 CA$$H

haven't tried the HD remakes
>>
>>329206801
>Ristar
>Duck Tales
>series
>one game
Fucking what.
>>
I wouldn't really consider Shantae a platformer.
The games have some platforming in them, but they're not ABOUT platforming the way all the other series in that image are.
>>
File: Ducktales_2_cover.png (207 KB, 256x364) Image search: [Google]
Ducktales_2_cover.png
207 KB, 256x364
>>329211486
Duck Tales has two games and one remake.
>>
Rayman, only sad thing is that the series ended after first installment. Other favorite is Chip&Dale games on NES, remake when?
>>
I can't bring myself to like the original Ducktales and I see nothing appealing about it. The disney designs look cute, but the platforming and control scheme just don't click with me. Shit taste or is the game really not that good?
>>
"series" is making this hard for me.

Most of my favorite platformers of all are one-offs like Ristar, Dynamite Headdy, Gimmick!, etc. or one of if not the only game in a series that I actually enjoy much like Yoshi's Island, Rocket Knight Adventures, or Ghouls 'n Ghosts, so I'd have trouble calling them a favorite series.

Donkey Kong, Rayman, and Mario I find a bit generic.
They're very reliable series that you can count on for a fairly high level of quality, but they don't have anything unique to help them stand apart and make them favorite material, imo.

Sonic has a distinct identity and a decent amount of great but flawed games, but the series is overall pretty shit, and I'm not sure how to judge that.

Kirby has excellent mechanics and excellent content, but the games are too easy and too exploitable for either of these things to truly shine.

Wario mixes things up in very welcome and interesting ways every couple games, and there isn't a game in the Wario Land series I would rate less than an 8/10, so it's a pretty solid contender.

Either Wario Land or Umihara Kawase, I guess.
>>
>>329213198
Have to go with shit taste. Using cane can feel difficult at first, but after you get used to it you want every platformer to have that.
>>
>>329213435
>Rayman I find a bit generic.
>They're very reliable series that you can count on for a fairly high level of quality, but they don't have anything unique to help them stand apart and make them favorite material
>don't have anything unique

What's more unique than first Rayman? There's not another game in the world like that. And that difficulty curve is just so unforgiving most people don't ever get to see the final level.
>>
>>329213698
All three series have at least one game that's somewhat unusual.
DK has Jungle Beat, and Mario has SMB2.
I'm focusing on their respective series as a whole though.
Also I don't much like the original Rayman
>>
>>329206801
the wario land games are great. I love how there aren't deaths, but instead the same transformations you need to progress can end up setting you back. Thank god for the virtual console
>>
>>329213961
>I'm focusing on their respective series as a whole though.

I can live with this, for some reason almost every platformer series turn to generic at some point.
>>
>>329206801
That's an all-star cast right there.
>>
>>329214312
>there aren't deaths
1, Virtual Boy, 4, and Shake It! have deaths.

>transformations
1, Virtual Boy, and Shake It! have no transformations iirc.

Play more Wario Land games.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.