[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VR War
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 12
File: htcvr.jpg (75 KB, 600x364) Image search: [Google]
htcvr.jpg
75 KB, 600x364
Will we have VR wars similar to the console wars with exclusive games coming to different headsets? They don't all use the Oculus Rift's SDK right?
>>
PSVR and Oculus Rift are already planned to have exclusive games, so yeah, it's pretty shitty.
>>
>>324082772
So war never changes?
>>
File: heh.jpg (44 KB, 745x637) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
44 KB, 745x637
>yfw Vive is the most expensive

gg
>>
It's really kinda sad. Unless Valve become dicks and make SteamVR or select games exclusive to Vive, The Rift is going to be the objectively best choice because you can play it's exclusives on top of any game Vive has.
>>
>>324087063
there will be vive exclusive games which genuinely could not work on the other systems. there will be tons of contracted exclusives for PSVR and many for Oculus, but it will be only the contract keeping them exclusive. and they will mostly suck.
>>
>>324087063
Except Rift is bad at room scale, the dev of Budget Cuts said he will have to downgrade the game for Rift users since the tracking is not as good.
And that's a game that doesn't even use large room scale, the player is confined to a 1x1 meters space.
>>
>>324087063
>The Rift is going to be the objectively best choice because you can play it's exclusives on top of any game Vive has.

Oculus
Room-scale in Oculus seems to be a low priority, which came as a bit of a surprise for us. You can technically do room-scale in the Rift, but, not practically for the end-user. Multiple cameras need extra USB ports, they would have to be bought separately, and cable up to the computer. In addition, the cameras apparently have quite a low FoV, so there might still be an issue to track objects close to the ground if you want to pick things up in the game (a quite central theme in Budget Cuts). Oculus, sensibly, recommend designing your games so that you don't need the full 360° tracking, because then you can target all three platforms with ease, and users who only have two cameras and maybe even just one for the Rift will be able to play it. Which makes a lot of sense! It's definitely the right thing to do if you want to get as many potential players as possible. But in general, it looks pretty grim if we want to port the full Budget Cuts experience.
>>
File: 1410120275378.jpg (124 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1410120275378.jpg
124 KB, 633x758
>>324089321
The fact that Rift is pushing back room scale makes me mad tbqh, while the Budget Cuts dev will be doing two different versions of the same game because Oculus didn't bother to use a better tracking system, most other devs won't even make room scale (or even standing) games.

It's just like consoles ruining the PC experience for cross-platform games.
>>
>>324089875
>360°, head-to-toe 2x2m room-scale tracking in Rift+Touch and PSVR is practically not possible.

>If Budget Cuts ends up working on Touch/PSVR, it will not really be the full experience as we have on the Vive.

Agreed Lowest common denominator will hold back VR, like consoles do in videogames.
>>
File: Rock-Band-VR.jpg (52 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
Rock-Band-VR.jpg
52 KB, 700x400
>>324087063
Can't wait to feel like performing on stage!
>>
I think the battle will be over market places, not headsets. Oculus wants to steal Steam's business model, but for VR, and Steam doesn't care what headset you use as long as you use steam. We might see multiple companies making Vive type headsets in the future (it's mostly Valve's technology after all), and if that becomes the norm then Steam will win out. Or we might see Oculus rise as a competitor to steam in the VR market, in which case they may start supporting other companies headsets.
>>
>>324085224
It might be, but some of the material suggests it's using shit that isn't as expensive as Rift.

Valve also is pretty frugal with weird ventures, which is partially why they got HTC on board as well, but I think there's a strong possibility it could be priced fairly competitively, even at a financial loss for Valve and HTC if they're interested in ensuring control of the market.
>>
File: awdawda.png (361 KB, 977x768) Image search: [Google]
awdawda.png
361 KB, 977x768
>>324085224

no one knows the price of either the Vive or the full Rift system yet, so it's hard to say

Touch could easily end up being $200, which after tax and super expensive shipping puts the full Rift system at close to $1k USD
>>
>>324091164
I find it really hard to believe that Vive might be more expensive than the Rift considering it doesn't even come with the Touch controllers and it has ridiculous shipping costs (that you can to pay twice if you want the Touch controllers later on).
>>
the Vive's exclusives are mostly going to be games that are impossible to do on the Rift due to the Vive having some hardware related capabilities that the Rift doesn't.

the Rift's exclusives are going to be mostly limited to Oculus funded games, like the 4-5 hours long Lucky's Tale.

the vast majority of developers are going to release for both because the 1st gen market is going to be so small that it would be dumb to release for only one unless you have to.

twitch tv/colinnorthway/v/35439420?t=14m03s
>>
>>324091569
It's not that hard to believe. HTC doesn't have the luxury of subsidizing the cost because they're not going to be the ones selling the games. They have to earn their money off of the hardware, and nobody really knows how much the hardware is going to cost to produce. This is 1st generation technology. People were guessing around $400 for the Oculus, and they were way off. I mean, the biggest difference between the 2 is the tracking system. Oculus uses a camera, Vive uses the Lighthouse. If the lighthouse costs more to produce than the Oculus camera then expect the Vive to be the more expensive headset.
>>
>>324082626
Nah, we will have a short period of shitposting until people forget this gimmick existed.
>>
>>324092280
Lighthouse is very cheap, it's basically just a bunch of IR leds and two HDD motors, it doesn't even process anything.
>>
>>324092524
I really hope it is, because room scale seems like the next step of where VR should go.
>>
>>324092280

there's almost no money in selling the hardware

HTCs plan is to get a hold of the Asian markets where Steam (let alone Oculus Home) doesnt have a real presence. the money is in getting that sweet standard 30% cut of software sales. this is what Viveport is designed to do.

>>324092371

the grown ups of the world that actually make decisions have already spent years crunching the numbers and doing research and have concluded that VR is here to stay and will be the next big disruptive computing platform.

this is why every single major tech company is pouring ridiculous sums of cash into trying to get a piece of the pie. VR isn't just a gaming toy.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-13/goldman-sachs-has-four-charts-showing-the-huge-potential-in-virtual-and-augmented-reality
>>
>>324092280
I remember reading HTC will have its hub to buy stuff.
>>
>>324093062
That's just for the stupid asians since Steam (and any other western store) is banned in China.
>>
>>324092280
that's the genius of the lighthouse system, the base stations are supremely cheap. they will definitely be disposable-tier by the time of a gen2 (eg. cheap speakers, sub-GB flash drives, etc.)
>>
I was really looking forward to VR. But it seems like so much bullshit right from the start. If it becomes a 'console war' sort of situation I just won't fuck with it I guess, or by then hopefully it'll just be yet another cheap pawn store piece of shit.
>>
>>324095186
Only Oculus is playing dirty tho, if people wise up (haha) they could pressure Oculus into not doing this shit.
>>
File: rockbandvr.jpg (143 KB, 1117x707) Image search: [Google]
rockbandvr.jpg
143 KB, 1117x707
>>324095446
He's been turned.
>>
>>324095446
>Only Oculus is playing dirty tho
There are PSVR exclusives, like that Summer Lesson, that one waifu simulator
>>
I wonder if Oculus will swallow their pride and go for lighthouses in gen 2.
>>
>>324095775
That doesn't even matter since PSVR is just a ps4 peripheral. Who cares about consoles anyway.
>>
HMM DECISIONS DECISIONS!

>should I buy brand new tech and hardware from a company that has never released hardware before, have no experience with production, shipping, return, no storefront and with zuckercunt at the wheel looking to recoup his billions

OR

>buy superior tech from a company with experience in all that paired up with the biggest pc storefront in the world - steam

wow guys THIS IS SUCH A DIFFICULT DECISION!
>>
>>324089875
Yes, because everyone has the space to get up and walk around freely in their room.

VR is niche already. You want a niche of a fucking niche. That's why Valve's shit is going to be nothing more than a gimmick. The first use will be "Huh, that's kind of cool, but there's going to be no real implementation and on top of that it's also going to take me out of my experience."

It's gimmick at its finest.
>>
>>324095972
You forgot the most logical decision
>wait for the market to develop and buy a vastly improved gen 2 set
>>
>>324095927

i'm a PC guy and early VR adopter and will be getting the Rift and the Vive and know PC will be the best platform for obvious reasons BUT the PSVR will be the first mainstream VR system and is super important for the future of VR. i think their HMD looks retarded but by all accounts it has a very nice display and is quite capable as far as headtracking and latency and things like that are concerned. i think PSVR is going to have some really nice games and experiences on it, they will just looks significantly worse than what's available on PC.

that said, there are going to be a LOT of crossplatform VR games coming.
>>
>>324096243
Who doesn't have at least a 2x2 meters space? Just rearrange the furniture a little bit.
>>
>>324095972
>HTC
>Experienced
Yeah, in making garbage.

Their last phone was a laughable failure. Their support for phones in the past has also been shit.

>Hey, here's this line of three phones
>Oh, you bought our best and most expensive model?
>BTW that one isn't going to be supported for future but the other two are HAHA SERVES YOU FOR THINKING WE GIVE A SHIT
>>
>>324096394
Most people renting, countries with extremely smaller and tighter spaces, and places with high costs of living?

So basically a good fucking 90% of people who rent or go to college/university?
>>
>>324096487
stick to twitter, palmer.
>>
>>324096243

why do people act like the Vive is roomscale only or needs a ton of space?

it can do literally everything the Rift can just as well but has extra capabilities for devs to play with. the max tracking capabilities aren't the required space. you arent going to NEED any more room than the Wii required for 99% of games and people made space for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NixHENChoQ4
>>
>>324096801
It's just a waste of development time and money. Wasted R&D on something that won't be applicable for fucking years.

So it's not only going to amount to a higher Vive cost, but also for literally no fucking gain. You'll just go "Hey, well mine can do THIS. Nothing supports it because there's no practical application of it and it's all just nice looking on paper, but HURR DURR."
>>
File: 3423425345.png (51 KB, 225x169) Image search: [Google]
3423425345.png
51 KB, 225x169
>>324096575
You say as if big rooms designed solely for the purpose of watching TV weren't common as fuck.

Even those shitty japanese apartments have enough room, put your bed in a hinged mechanism, get rid of the TV you don't use, anything.
>>
>>324097130
The fuck are you talking about? There are lots of games being developed for room scale.
Also what do you mean by "won't be applicable for fucking years"? You think bigger room sizes are dependent on some kind of technology that is being developed?
>>
>>324097130

the Vive's tracking system is WAY cheaper than the Rift's. A Rift can only do similar things with 3-4 cameras (which alone take up a decent chunk of the Rift's base price). Lighthouse emitters break down into around $25 bucks worth of parts and the sensors on the controllers and HMD are literally pennies a piece. Oculus is betting big on computer vision which is just more expensive all around right now( including computationally) , though a few generations from now will be theoretically superior.

and there are already several games that support roomscale. Fantastic Contraption is roomscale only and looks absolutely amazing. Tilt Brush as well. Budget Cuts is another one. Cloudheads VR mini golf game that i cant remember the title of is another. in a game like Elite:Dangerous you can actually get out of your cockpit's seat and walk around your ship. roomscale is flatout superior whether devs choose to use it or not.
>>
>>324097372
Yeah, tons of shitty no substance indie "games" designed around some shitty gimmick.

Pair that with a nice and low adoption rate besides cancerous Gaben fags that will buy into anything Steam, and you've set for failure.
>>
>>324097758

even if that was true (which it's not), Lighthouse is still a cheaper, more capable and more efficient tracking solution than the 1st gen Rift's computer vision setup for all scenarios including standing, sitting, squatting, jumping, jerking off or whatever.
>>
>>324098023
>I-I-IT'S NOT TRUE! GABEN SAID SO!

Alright, whatever you say kid. Go back to your Hat Fortress and Crate Strike: GO (somewhere besides /v/).
>>
File: 1452132421264.jpg (131 KB, 1620x599) Image search: [Google]
1452132421264.jpg
131 KB, 1620x599
>>324097712
It's also worth pointing out the Rift's cameras have pretty low vertical FOV, making them kinda shit for stuff like touching the ground or jumping around.

>>324097758
consolebabby detected :^)
VR is not even out yet and was only in the hands of few developers for just a few years, don't expect VR-oriented AAA games right off the bat.
But you can already play previously released quality games too, here's a small sampling of VR games, most of which you can play right now:
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category2=31#sort_by=Reviews_DESC&sort_order=DESC&category1=998&category2=31&page=1

Also it's pretty obvious you never tried the Vive or any other VR, if you did you would know the huge difference it makes.
>>
>>324082626
Not for a while. Only people buying are rich fags who want it first just to say they had it first.
>>
File: tom_cruise_face_08.jpg (47 KB, 600x729) Image search: [Google]
tom_cruise_face_08.jpg
47 KB, 600x729
>>324098261

>uh oh i'm losing an argument
>let's see if i can meme my way out of this one!
>wish me luck mama!
>>
>>324095635
palmer is a shitty pr
>>
File: Lucky quote3.png (106 KB, 600x334) Image search: [Google]
Lucky quote3.png
106 KB, 600x334
>>324098601
He's so angry on Twitter, so confrontational.
I certainly won't use my hard-money to fund Botnetbook and Mr. Hothead.
>>
>>324098298

i think in the future computer vision will be the way to go, but for right now there's no credible argument for it being superior to lighthouse. verticle FOV/tracking is a good example of this for sure. there's a reason they put vertical swivels on the Rift cameras.
>>
>tfw incorrectibly nearsighted
>All I want VR for is to be able to browse the internet in comfort

I just want a monitor strapped to my face.
>>
>>324099326
>incorrectibly
h-how?

Also, bad news for you: The lenses in VR systems shift the focus to farther away than monitors: about 1.3 meters.
>>
>>324095635
wow, what a humorless dick
>>
>>324099326
>>324099484

true, your vision in VR is going to be the same as your vision in real life. also, the resolution isnt good enough for full time desktop use.

BUT in VR using something like Virual Desktop, your can make the screen as big or as close to your face as you want so you wouldnt have to physically lean in like you would on a traditional display.
>>
File: 1433409574088.jpg (638 KB, 954x728) Image search: [Google]
1433409574088.jpg
638 KB, 954x728
FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS
>>
>>324099484

this wasn't true for the DK1, was true for the DK2 and presumably the CV1, but the Vive has it's focus set to infinity like the DK1 did afaik
>>
>>324099968
+ shipping + taxes + touch controllers + shipping + taxes + just the tip
>>
File: 1429503836033.jpg (186 KB, 680x1064) Image search: [Google]
1429503836033.jpg
186 KB, 680x1064
>>324100452
>VR fuckbois excusing the price tag
AYY
>>
>>324101502
Lrn2read. He's not excusing anything, it's adding even more to the 599 price.
>>
this shit is cool af

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM47bOeHSL4
>>
>>324102372
looks neat, but the grafix r shit.
>>
>>324102372
cute feet.
>>
>>324103376

i dont think they're going for realism m8
>>
>>324082772
PSVR's games will be PS4 games so exclusivity is a given, Rift games will be exclusive to the oculus store meaning you have to purchase them from them (as they aim to make a profit on software, selling their hardware at a loss) but there will be no exclusive compatibility issues say if you wanted to run one on a Vive.
>>
>>324104594

the catch is that games developed on the Oculus SDK wont be compatible with the Vive unless Oculus decides to open up the APIs to other systems or someone makes an abstraction layer. all Oculus Home games are required to use the Oculus SDK.

most things i've seen are planning Oculus SDK and SteamVR versions though so i dont think it's a HUGE amount of work to port between the two, but not every dev will do so.
>>
>le VR console wars

Yeah go fuck yourselves, both Oculus, Valve, and Sony have gone on record to say it's not about the competition or dumb emotional shit like that, it's about creating fucking VR, and making that work and get the industry going.
>>
they both use the openvr standard , the only difference is the controller implementation, which is also pretty similar and could be emulated to accept both headsets. its up to the game developers to use it.
>>
>>324108481
and the tracking methods of course, but both constellation and light house are openly accessible via sdk´s and could run side by side. its all up to game developers to make games compatible for both headsets.
>>
For their sake, I hope not. It's a niche as it is, and the price made the audience even smaller. Splitting the remaining customers again would be a death sentence, and as a developer you would have to be downright retarded to take the risk, especially when you could also develop for the PSVR for example.
>>
The fact that threads like this even exist is proof VR is here to stay and it's a little funny that there are still people who think it's not

Yeah it failed once before but so did electric cars and optical disc video players, before ultimately succeeding once the tech caught up to expectations
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.