[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Game Dev Thread: /v/ Is Always Better!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 97
File: 3d-game-development-engine.jpg (29 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
3d-game-development-engine.jpg
29 KB, 600x300
Let's have one of these things, shall we?
>>
no lol
>>
>made an unity game
>want to compile it for mac
>don't have a mac
>compile it anyway
>upload
>macfags report that it doesn't work

apparently there are permissions problems or something, anybody else ever tried to build for mac from windows with unity?
>>
>>>/vg/128651221
>>
>>324051951
>going to /vg/
GetALoadOfThisFaggot.jpg
>>
>>324051921

In the build settings for Mac, make sure it is set to Universal. For whatever reason Universal isn't the default setting for Mac and Linux compiling.
>>
>>324052373
I did set it to universal, then I rared the resulting whatever.app folder up but nobody can run it
>>
>6. "Generals"—long-term, recurring threads about a specific game—should be posted in /vg/.
>>
File: chill.png (2 MB, 1226x831) Image search: [Google]
chill.png
2 MB, 1226x831
>>
>>324053676
Neat! What kinda game is it gonna be?
>>
>>324053828
Thank god for archives, saved an old post I made before.

The goal at the moment is to make a survival mod where the player will attempt to survive by ensuring he does not mess up, survives the coming war and it's battles. An ai will attack the player while he attempts to establish a working economy, allies and foes alike will try to establish themselves in the region too.

At the moment I have systems in place for

-Needs of the people (food, cloths and enjoyment)
-Farms (custom plants, growth time, harvest time and plant time)
-Storehouse (where buildings deliver and request materials, workers have a carry capacity - jobs get split up by it, a food version, a queue system)
-Refinery (where materials gets refined into other materials)
-Gatherers (gathers materials from nearby resources, gather location can be changed)
-Towers (Attacks nearby enemies, ammunition can be changed on a tower by tower basis)
-Basic Enemy AI (a basic AI that seeks out the player and attacks his units/buildings)

I've got some other systems in place but they're kinda minor. There are a lot of things I still wanna implement, a couple of examples are a weather system (rain that causes all growing plants not to die, too much and the crops die. Snow that changes the way you play both with the economy but also how you wage war), Eco system for all living things (so what you do can have an affect on other things, cutting down to much of the forest might scare away the deer)
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-14-20-53-29.png (11 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-14-20-53-29.png
11 KB, 480x800
>tfw one punch man game
>>
File: 1371038352455.jpg (105 KB, 936x536) Image search: [Google]
1371038352455.jpg
105 KB, 936x536
>>324054081
>artsy pixel noodle limbs
>>
This thing anon made yesterday
>-- I WANT TO MAKE GAMES --

>I want to make 2D games, but I'm too lazy to learn coding
Game Maker - http://www.yoyogames.com/studio
Construct 2 - https://www.scirra.com/construct2

>I want to make 2D games, I don't mind coding
>Engines
Unity - https://unity3d.com/
Game Maker - http://www.yoyogames.com/studio
>Frameworks
LÖVE - https://www.love2d.org/
Phaser - http://phaser.io/
SFML - http://www.sfml-dev.org/
LibGDX - https://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/

>I want to make 3D games, but I'm too lazy to learn coding
Go cry in a corner

>I want to make 3D games, I don't mind coding
>Engines
Unity - https://unity3d.com/
>Frameworks
LibGDX - https://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/

Tutorials: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Tutorial+first+game

---------------
>>
>>324054930
http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/
>>
>>324053676
That looks almost like a modern age of empires or something
>>
>>324055513
Is that a good thing or bad? I love AoE 1 & 2.
>>
tfw I've spent more than a year looking for artfags to do basic pixel art for a small meme game and they always volunteer and then never get on skype again
>>
>>324050851
So I have a problem. Unity always crashes when I try to load a library. But without it, I can't do the basic tutorials because they always use shortcuts that are already in the library. Why do I have this problem?
>>
>>324055838
What library?
>>
So how do I capture a video of my game I'm working on and then convert it to a webm or gif or something?
>>
>>324056238
OBS, screen capture.
convert video to gif or webm.
>>
>>324056238
OBS.
>>
>>324056320
>>324056382

thanks guys
>>
>>324054475
We've had this argument before
>>
These threads are struggling to get in gear today. I guess all game makers go out on Fridays.
>>
>>324057847
Maybe they're all working.
>>
i've been working with rpgmaker for a long time, but now i want to move to some other engine. sadly i have a very simplistic way of thinking, so is there a easy to use engine?
>>
>>324058197
They weren't yesterday.
>>324058327
There's not much you can do more without learning how to code. You can give Unity a try and see if their way of easing you into learning how to code in parallel with the rest of the system can work for you.
Most people who think they have a "simplistic way of thinking" never really tried. The basics of programming are not like super advanced maths: everyone can learn how to do it with a bit of effort.
>>
Posting progress is kind of boring when your entire game is placeholder graphics
>>
>>324058692
Yeah, I can sympathise.
>>
>>324058590
i guess i could look for a unity tutorial video somewhere and give it a shot
>>
What happened to unity? I'd never seen a good game for it, let alone one that even looked remotely pretty, until last year and now there's some pretty nice shit coming out.
>>324052546
>a specific game
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 979x551) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 979x551
>>324054930
Construct 2 FTW
>>
File: mall.jpg (622 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mall.jpg
622 KB, 1920x1080
mall progress in Trigger Spree(MP FPS)
>>
>>324059079
>What happened to unity?
Version 4 happened, especially 4.3 I think, or 4.6. Throughout the life of v4 they've been adding a lot of tools that streamline development, making it really inviting.
>>324059138
>MP FPS
I don't know why I always thought it would be SP.
>>
Expert coder here. I could easily whip up a playable demo of any kind of game in a matter of days, but my big problem is that I just don't have any good ideas for what kind of game to make. If only I could find some kind of collaborator to give me specific direction of what kind of characters and backstory they would like to see. I'd love the chance to be able to listen to detailed (or even vague) descriptions of theme, lore and gameplay. I'd absolutely do my best to stay true to whatever vision my collaborator had in terms of overall tone and impression while I do all the system design, coding, and testing. Really all they'd have to do was playtest the demo it to see if my work was faithful enough to their vision, or if I should go back and refine it further. Maybe this thread will help me with my idea problem.
>>
>>324056238
FRAPS and google "webm for retards"
>>
>>324059670
Kurushi, but for mobiles.
>>
>>324059670
A game in the style of Commandos, but you have a tool that can move the entire level through time, and change everything, even all the actors, accordingly. As a result the players would have to switch time periods to better suit the situation.
A stupid example just to get the idea across, if you're in a modern time with no ranged weapons in an open area and you're spotted, you switch to prehistoric times so the enemy's ranged weapons are now thrown rocks with very little range.

I know I will never make this because I'm already busy doing another retardedly overambitious project and besides this game would be a complete bitch to balance, so if you or anyone else wants to steal this, feel free.
>>
>>324052546
>long-term, recurring threads about a specific game
This is none of those three things
>>
>>324059670
Make a simple fighting game where all you do is jump and kick. The game is based around outjumping, outkicking, and out jump kicking the opponent.
>>
>>324059670
http://www.squidi.net/three/
>>
I'm making a 2D platformer on Unity. What should I keep in mind, anons?
>>
>>324060296
http://store.steampowered.com/app/244730/
someone already made that game
>>
>>324060453
That it's 2016 so hitboxes on sprites should be as accurate as possible.
>>
>>324054930
If I want to start making a 2D game in Unity, can you guys suggest any tutorials to follow for someone who wants to learn how to code? Even basic things like object interaction or walking.

Actually, I have a spritesheet ready and tried to animate it in Unity, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Did the whole splicing thing, but it's the animator panel that's confusing the hell out of me. I've looked but not really finding any basic tutorial to follow or any premade templates so I can look at examples. Would anyone mind to help me out?
>>
>>324061032
thatsthejoke.jpg
>>
>>324061159
Their own tutorials are well done, albeit in video form.
https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials
https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/animation
>>
File: OrkoGooszooie.webm (518 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
OrkoGooszooie.webm
518 KB, 1600x900
Working on a fez clone with combat, slowly

Wanted a paper lantern for the double jump, but I couldn't make it recognizable with my pixel shit
>>
>>324061404
Thanks for the link, I'm looking at them right now.
>>
>>324061159
tutorials are everywhere man.
>>
File: hub.jpg (238 KB, 1920x907) Image search: [Google]
hub.jpg
238 KB, 1920x907
I've been working on an adventure/puzzle game for a while. A kind of 3d myst or riven.
>>
>>324061467
>fez clone
No rotation implemented yet?
>>324061645
That looks great, famalam.
>>
>>324061860
>That looks great, famalam.
That's a screenshot of jonathan blow's game, he's memeing on you
>>
>>324062047
That's a shame.
>>
File: 1452892400453.png (206 KB, 953x517) Image search: [Google]
1452892400453.png
206 KB, 953x517
me again

today is more blender bullshit. Making guys enter rooms via objects.
>>
File: hub2.jpg (255 KB, 1920x904) Image search: [Google]
hub2.jpg
255 KB, 1920x904
>>324061860
Thanks
>>324062047
Our art style looks similiar but it isn't the witness
>>
>>324061563
Again, I'm totally new and don't really know where to start, that's why I was hoping anyone would know of any really easy basic ones to follow. I've actually tried some in the past but I find a lot are very difficult to follow, messy or are just a bit too advanced for me, plus most tutorials seem to be for 3D, not 2D.
The one the other anon posted is good and I'm reading them right now, that and I started watching an introduction to C# on youtube so I kind of understand what some code will do but again it's very minimal.

I'd really like to learn how to get a sprite to walk with animations (I figured out how to get a static sprite to move around already but the animation thing is confusing the hell out of me), how to make text pop up when you interact with an object, and change rooms. I'd love to make more complicated things but I figure they're a good place to start?
>>
>>324062440
I know nothing about animations.
To load a new room you need to switch scene with SceneManager.LoadScene
http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SceneManagement.SceneManager.LoadScene.html
To make text popup you need to instantiate a UI.Text. The problem is that since you have no programming experience, telling you things like this does nothing, because you have no notion of what Instantiate is, how to calculate the Vector3 for its position, and so on.
Getting started is a very slow process.
>>
>>324062440
youtubed "unity tutorials", literally second result, get the corresponding playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ1b66Z1KFKik2g8D4wrmYj4yein4rCk8
there are a million series like this one
don't just try to find the 10 seconds you want to do a single thing, watch a series of tutorials and take notes and do the things along while you're watching
watch "introduction to..." and "for beginners" stuff and everything should be explained in order. you can't just jump in wherever and expect to understand what they're saying. sometimes you need just a little theory/explanations so you can move on. if one series is really bad, find another. there's no way you can't find what you're looking for, there is way however that what's happening is that you're not being patient.
>>
>>324062440
(Not the same anon.) For animations, this is the tutorial series that I used:

http://www.raywenderlich.com/61532/unity-2d-tutorial-getting-started

It's 2D, but overhead view. Should still introduce the basics.
>>
>>324061860

shouldv said Fez-style doors and areas, never cared for the rotation gimmick. Puzzles and portal-y doors
>>
File: FirstTest.webm (1 MB, 768x672) Image search: [Google]
FirstTest.webm
1 MB, 768x672
So I finally figured out how to get something working in Construct Classic! I spent two days trying to implement my own physics before I realized there was a platformer behavior setting. That will make things so much easier.
>>
>>324063915
>different sized pixels
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: Y8FaK3q.jpg (217 KB, 800x414) Image search: [Google]
Y8FaK3q.jpg
217 KB, 800x414
Building a Third-Person city building game set with an Aztec theme (kinda like My life as a king)
>>
>>324063050
Yeah that's lost on me to be honest. But I'm gonna write it down and look in to it later when I can do a little more, so it's still helpful. Thanks.

>>324063276
Thanks for the advice, and the link. What you're saying is actually true, but I guess the reason for me doing that is that I find 2D tutorials difficult to find... is there benefit to me watching 3D tutorials, can I learn that and apply that knowledge to 2D?
I wandered around and looked at a lot of tutorials before I started watching this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Ste_E1Q7g and I feel it's well explained and I'm understanding what commands mean/do. I got up as far as Arrays and I started having trouble but I'll keep watching until I get it.

You're right, I am being impatient. I guess I'm just excited and want to make stuff right away, but of course that's not really possible. What do you guys think is a reasonable timeframe to learn how to do all of the things I outlined in my post before? Would 3 months of learning C# be reasonable?
>>
>>324064096
That's pretty cute. I like it.
>>
>>324063915

Congrats anon, keep it up
>>
>>324063596
Thank you for the link! I'll check it out for sure.
>>
>>324063915
Why classic and not 2?
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-01-15_14-24-39.png (88 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-01-15_14-24-39.png
88 KB, 1680x1050
Haven't worked on this shit in ages and I didn't even get much done in the first place.
Also is there a cell shading option for lighting in unity?
Because this kind of looks like ass.
>>
>>324064286

2 only gives you so many events with the free version afaik. It might be enough, but I didn't feel like taking chances. My only other option was Unity, which I'll look into in the future.

>>324064094

They're not though. You can open it in paint and check for yourself.
>>
>>324064575
>2 only gives you so many events with the free version afaik. It might be enough, but I didn't feel like taking chances. My only other option was Unity, which I'll look into in the future.

Fair enough. I pirated it myself so I could learn how stuff worked.

I'm not that great at it but if you have any Construct questions I'd be happy to try and answer.
>>
File: gfdgfd.png (2 KB, 336x364) Image search: [Google]
gfdgfd.png
2 KB, 336x364
>>324064575
>They're not though. You can open it in paint and check for yourself.
I think he means that the pixels aren't aligned to a grid, meaning this can happen
>>
>>324064717

I'm sure I'll have many, but I've been trying to stick to reading tutorials for help and just monkeying with the system as best as I can.

I've been reading a tutorial on animations and bounding boxes, so that's going to be the next leg of my journey.
>>
>>324064104
>is there benefit to me watching 3D tutorials, can I learn that and apply that knowledge to 2D?
yes, anything that's not related to positions in space still works of course
Unity actually used to not have any explicitely 2D stuff, it does now though (since 5, so do search for Unity 5 tuts)
>I got up as far as Arrays and I started having trouble
depends what you mean by "trouble", if it's "losing concentration after a day starting from scratch", it's fine, if it's "spent several days on arrays", get it a little together
arrays, like other things, are a basic component of programming, you'll see it all the time, it's something you can't skip
I can't answer you as to a timeframe, I've given up all that stuff some time ago, that was just general advice. I'll just say don't go and start thinking "I need to get a game out within 6 months because my rent depends on it", that's not gonna work

if you really, really just want fast results you could go with Game Maker, I'm not sure how much more simple than Unity it is though, maybe not that much
>>
File: Untitled.png (21 KB, 1277x798) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
21 KB, 1277x798
I'm still working on this but I have really no idea where I'm taking it
It's more for code practice than anything I guess
>>
>>324063915
Oh, you're still alive, neat. We kept your threads going while you were away.
>>324064104
>3 months
If you try to do some learning daily it shouldn't take you take long to start building something. Then as you continue learning you can keep building on top of that.
Chances are in the end you'll end up scrapping everything and restarting from scratch because you'll then understand how things work much better, but that's the way it goes. That second time you'll be much faster at it.
>>324064796
Maybe those are eight pixels
>>
>>324064796

Hmm, good point. I guess my biggest problem is the sprites are two small if I'm making a 1:1 8-bit styled game, so I just multiplied everything by 3. I wonder if I can fix that.
>>
>>324065182

I assume there's a way in Construct to make a room that's 1:1 size but the window the player views the game in is 2/3x zoomed in. That way you could keep the pixels and movement consistent and also keep the upscaled resolution of the game.
>>
>>324065182
It really isn't a problem, it just might trigger a few peoples' autism.
If you want to eliminate it though, the solution is the have everything at native res in the agme and then have the game window display at 3x.
I don't really know if that's possible in construct though
>>
>>324065057
Well, it's a vertical shooter. Unless you have a special idea there's not much where you can take it.
You could try to see how crazy you can make it become while keeping a perfect performance.
>>
>>324065182
You could always make the screen size 256x240 and then have the game scale up to your window size.
>>
>>324065480
>>324065440
>>324065396

I know you can maximize the game window but I couldn't figure out how to choose certain settings. I'll add this to my to-do list.
>>
>>324065451
I'm planning on adding a bit of randomization, nothing too excessive, sort of along the lines of Strikers 1945 stages and then maybe doing Nuclear Throne upgrades and BoI-style randomly chosen bosses.

But I probably just won't go anywhere with it and it'll be another iteration of learning to code basic engines and learning from mistakes
>>
>>324065057

Allow the player to hijack enemy ships and control them. Different ships have their own HP and strength values. If the player's current ship is gunned down their power meter depletes, and they need to find a new one to control before it hits 0.
>>
File: 1428609270676.png (9 KB, 320x562) Image search: [Google]
1428609270676.png
9 KB, 320x562
>>324066316
>sort of along the lines of Strikers 1945
don't forget the waifus
>>
>>324066621
I was gonna do furry husbandos but then it would just feel like I'm ripping off star fox
>>
File: 1451241592591.png (51 KB, 229x345) Image search: [Google]
1451241592591.png
51 KB, 229x345
So does the free version of Game maker have everything I need or do I need to put out them shekels for the paid version?
>>
>>324066867
How could you possibly need a tool you don't even know exists?
>>
>>324066621
>that deltoid
>>324066485
I like this idea.
>>
>>324066621
... do you mean touhou?
>>
>>324059670
I think this is bait.
>>
File: 1285036973955.jpg (10 KB, 71x97) Image search: [Google]
1285036973955.jpg
10 KB, 71x97
>>324066621
>that guy who spent hundreds of dollars trying to 1cc this game to see this
>he was playing ta152
>>
>>324062169

Hey Swain
>>
>>324062273
Looks awesome, anon. Hope I can play it one day :3 (I love Myst so you have my attention)
>>
File: unity2.png (3 MB, 1507x905) Image search: [Google]
unity2.png
3 MB, 1507x905
Just started the first Unity tutorial yesterday.
>>
>>324066621
Does this artist even LOOMIS? Boobs Don't grow over the serratus muscles like that.
>>
File: screenshot146.png (386 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
screenshot146.png
386 KB, 640x480
Got some 2D top down shooting stuff if any one is interested. Posted it a few days ago as well. Got a playable (downloadable) version as well.

Working on making it a massive multiplayer game.

Here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4yxlAcyUNk7ZDlWSDR1b3ZxcXM/view
>>
>>324068083
Vague anatomy is good enough for fapping and waifubait
>>
>>324068202

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piy17PWv_Ys
>>
Do all you people making games draw your own shit?
>>
File: _DungeonPals2V1_140116.png (659 KB, 4096x4096) Image search: [Google]
_DungeonPals2V1_140116.png
659 KB, 4096x4096
I don't think I posted these ones last time, so:

They're free for you to use. Have fun with 'em.
>>
Made the missile trails framerate-independent so they look way less shit. Now working on making the high level AIs less inclined to spin in circles, as well as adding a way for the player to control their wingman; right now, wingmen target whatever plane their leader targets, but I'd like to make it so they can act more defensively as well, targeting any planes that target their leader. Hopefully something like that would let the player use their wingman to force the enemy AIs into less predictable movements
>>
>>324068395

Yea. But a friend of mine does the coding. Another friend has a company and will publish it.
>>
>>324050851
Works for me.

How do I actually start to make game?
>>
File: DungeonPalsAlt2V1_271215.png (595 KB, 4096x4096) Image search: [Google]
DungeonPalsAlt2V1_271215.png
595 KB, 4096x4096
>>324068448
These ones too.
>>
>>324068490

Sit down, note some ideas. Just random shit.

Do some research about the popular games these days, also the indie games.

Look at what makes these games popular, and how you are to use these features for your own. Mostly adept to what people look for, and or like, just for a profit and high succes rate.
>>
>>324068448
But they aren't actually useful without animations are they?
>>
My biggest problem is that I actually know how to code, but the thought of sitting down and having to do all that boilerplate shit just to bring assets together into something that I might not like demotivates me into giving up. Then I look at engines that bypass the painful shit, and all I see is inflexibility and having to learn how to trick it into doing what I want. How do you actually get the motivation to do a project when you don't have the thrill of learning as you go and wanting to power through the challenges of being a new coder?
>>
>>324069058
I don't think you can avoid having to do a lot of work if you want to make a video game.
>>
>>324068783
for making dq clones.
>>
File: DungeonSkeletonSMALLV1.png (48 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
DungeonSkeletonSMALLV1.png
48 KB, 240x240
>>324068783
Depends what you wanna use them for? They'd be right at home in an RPG Maker game, or a card game, or lots of other things.
>>
What engine is easiest to use to make pretty much a 3D walking simulator with very simple "gameplay"?
>>
>>324069586
Unity
>>
>>324069586
Unity. That's what every walking simulator is made in now.
>>
>>324069735
>>324069670
Unity it is. Thank you.
>>
>>324051921
turns out the person who tried it was retarded because another one didn't have any problems
>>
File: asdsdaasda.jpg (86 KB, 607x434) Image search: [Google]
asdsdaasda.jpg
86 KB, 607x434
>>324050851
>>
>>324068202
>>324068379
So a Hotline Miami clone?
>>
>>324070190
I thought you said you never got past concept art? Or was that another anon?
>>
>>324068379
Hotline miami was a great game. That trailer was a hot mess.
>>
Engine: Unity

Setting: Fantasy 90's cyberpunk wizards battle eachother in a large-ish map.

Gameplay: Third person style, WASD controls.
Press "Space" to charge-up your mana (slowly decreases if not used).
While charging up, your mana increases up to level 5. While charging up, you can press any other key to input a "Magical Rune". You can use as many Runes as your mana level. Release Space to cast a spell.
Ex. press space, charge up to lv 2, press Q (fire rune) and W (movement rune), release space to cast "Fireball" - mana decreases if a spell is succesfully cast.
This offers around 400 spell combinations.
Spells get radically more powerful as complexity increases - possibility of "Epic" spells done with a long string of letters, requires magical tome found in the map?

Right now most of the game systems are in a working state, I require cool assets and actually coding the 400 spells.
Should I continue working on this, /v/?
>>
>>324068461
>non-3d aircraft game

But why?
>>
>>324068379
Think about this for your level design, those hallways are very narrow. If you check Hotline Miami every single room you go into you can maneuver around a bit. As is those hallways are death traps, or at least can inhibit the flow of the game.
>>
>>324070442
>>324070224

>Hotline Miami was a great game. That trailer was a hot mess.

Thanks. The way the game was, was not something I stood behind any way. I intend to revamp it.

>So a Hotline Miami clone?

Sure. Whatever you'd like to call it. Devolver tends to disagree though, and so do I.
>>
>>324070549
If single player yes. If multiplayer only, no.
>>
I finally released my first game.

Ok it's actually a stupid visual novel parody with crappy graphics, stolen music and bad grammar but damn, I feel like I actually completed something for once.

I won't link it here because there's (thankfully) no english language and may be considered way too cringe anyway
>>
>>324070687
You're being published by Devolver?
>>
>>324070754
Is that a titan in the background? And what's that thing next to it?
Also, congrats.
>>
>>324070704
multiplayer only, but there's nothing stopping me from converting it to a singleplayer game. In fact it'd be easier. However I fear that the replayability will suffer a lot.
>>
>>324070224
>hotline miami

not seeing it.
>>
>>324070687
>trailer
The way the trailer is right now, I'd rather just have a simple description of the game instead. It looks like a really shitty hotline clone, with tons of obnoxious effects to hide any actual gameplay. This makes me not want to try it out.
>>
>>324070882
an EVA and a titan, I was bored so I just traced them.
>>
>>324070895
Multiplayer indie games are generally dead on arrival unless its truly something special.
>>
>>324070882
>And what's that thing next to it?
Come on anon open you recognize a naked man yet don't recognize giant robots
>>
>>324050851

I started slowly learning gamedev but then I gave up

Should I go back /v/?
>>
>>324070754
What the fuck.
>>
>>324070754
forgot to mention it's basically a giant parody of bad fanfiction, with self inserts meeting famous people and bad grammar
>>
>>324071148
>come on anon open you recognize
Maybe I should open my own eyes and proof read
>>
>>324071167
If you're planning to make a living out of it: no.
If you just want to have fun: sure, it's a hobby.
>>
>>324071148
Sorry, never watched it.
>>
>>324071148
typical 4channel, amirite?
>>
>>324063915
Oh it's that qt dog again.

This better be porn or else into the fucking trash, m8
>>
>>324071130
Good point. Problem is that to make a singleplayer mode I'll need a LOT more assets and work. Not impossible, though.
>>
>>324071285

The learning process just got too frustrating for my adhd mind, especially all the math and programming stuff.

I mean im sure its fun when you finally learn how to do it, but fuck learning this shit is such an uphill battle for me right now. I just feel stupid when I try it, and I can't make anything gratifying yet.
>>
File: Lilly.png (28 KB, 640x680) Image search: [Google]
Lilly.png
28 KB, 640x680
>>324071414

I'm sorry anon but I prefer cute drawings to actual porn.

I don't care if other people make porn of her though
>>
>>324071350
don't; it's shit.
>>
Question for your UE4 fucks, been fucking around with UE4 and I'm more practiced with the character modeling aspect with Maya than the actual software of making it all click, but hey, gotta start somewhere. Anyway, I imported the character I made as an .fbx file and it appears in UE4 as a static mesh when I drag it into the game world. It works fine standing there doing the default arms out pose..so..what exactly are the steps needed to make it an actual NPC with movement as opposed to just a stiff box?

That is, not a player character itself, but at least so it stands there and just idles as opposed to just static hang there?
>>
>>324068461
>2d ace combat
love it
have you tried messing around with the speed of the crafts at all and seeing how it affects gameplay?
>>
>>324071607
>I prefer cute drawings to actual porn.

Into the trash my man
>>
>>324071793
Look at tutorials
>>
>>324071871
Anon, kindly kill yourself.
>>
Anon, i got an idea of a game, if any devbro is interested to hear it, you can add me on steam

Basically it involves a top down hotel management gameplay, youre a hotel manager in the worst shithole crime infested place of X country. Involves shooting and money management, also maybe a plot about the main character that adds aspects to the gameplay

I can go more in depth if anyone wants to hear more, sorry for being a first timer ideas guy
>>
>>324071607
That's gay. Hopefully she gets lots of porn, that's the whole point of anthro characters anyway
>>
>>324072017
That's the problem though, I've been looking for a tutorial and all I seem to find are tutorials about how to make a new player character from the existing skeleton mesh that comes with the default map, or how to import static objects and characters. No one seems to go through the steps on how to tweak a character from static pose to idle
>>
>>324070605

Thank you for the tip. I appreciate it.
>>
>>324072097
Sounds fun but i dont think the top down camera is a good idea
>>
>>324070771

No i'm not. But thanks for asking. No, I sent an email + the game to ask about their opinion, and wether or not they felt like I stole their idea. They (or he/she) told me that they didn't feel like my intentions were to steal their ideas in any way. I did the same thing with the music that we use.
>>
File: 1274590727830.png (6 KB, 493x401) Image search: [Google]
1274590727830.png
6 KB, 493x401
>>324071607
>I'm sorry anon but I prefer cute drawings to actual porn.
I like you anon, you have good taste

Your char is cute and I'd draw her if I wasn't shit at art
>>
>>324072927
Nou succes ermee
>>
>>324071031

Thanks for the tip. The trailer is based on an old alpha but it puts the point across quite nicely. I only intend to keep the art assets and the fast paced combat any way. I would love to tell you something about the new version.
>>
>>324073089

what?
>>
File: f8d48a_5778298.jpg (81 KB, 1366x633) Image search: [Google]
f8d48a_5778298.jpg
81 KB, 1366x633
>>324050851
I'm making a game about jewish people.
I am the edgy dev
>>
>>324072927
You used the same style of music?
Well , i dont know man, both games looks very similar

I dont know why i thought it would , or if this helps

But a hotline miami esque game in a cyberpunk setting would be awesome, shoothing robots as a policeman, or a rogue robot going on a killing spree against his creators
But i bet youre already too far in your own style and setting to change it at this poiny
>>
File: 33506b43.jpg (15 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
33506b43.jpg
15 KB, 400x400
>>324071607
>I'm sorry anon but I prefer cute drawings to actual porn.
6 years ago I would have called you a faggot.

Good taste.
>>
>>324073235

good goy
>>
>>324073235
Looks accurate so far. Keep up the good work, anon!
>>
>>324073373

>
I dont know why i thought it would , or if this helps

But a hotline miami esque game in a cyberpunk setting would be awesome, shoothing robots as a policeman, or a rogue robot going on a killing spree against his creators
But i bet youre already too far in your own style and setting to change it at this point

I'm noting this down. Thank you.

>You used the same style of music?
Well , i dont know man, both games looks very similar

I'm not using the same style of music. Note, the creators of Hotline Miami had composers make tunes for the game, instead of reaching out for tunes that already existed. I mostly just intended to use Lorn's music but the (ex) co-creator felt, that using hardstyle was the way to go. I disagree.

I've been very busy with developing my latest version, which doesn't have any music in it at all. It isn't singleplayer either.
>>
File: blah.png (82 KB, 640x680) Image search: [Google]
blah.png
82 KB, 640x680
>>324071607
10,000 hours in gimp
>>
>>324071607
>>324073027
Actually fuck it, while I'm here, you do want a programmer so you don't have to use construct? I don't really have much for ideas and I get a lot more enjoyment out of coding other people's visions than my own anyways.
>>
>>324073781

I even fail to see how one would combine the two genres and have a proper working videogame.
>>
File: Even shorter.png (56 KB, 776x561) Image search: [Google]
Even shorter.png
56 KB, 776x561
Been messing around with Blender, this happened
>>
>>324073781
Dust and Elysian Tale
>>
>>324073638
I think you fucked up quoting me, but i understood anyway

My robot miami idea might work to add huge differences between your game and hotline miami

Also, to nail the creepyness of a rogue killer robot, you could use some synthwave songs? :)
>>
>>324073235
looks like a poop goblin.
>>
>>324073781
Isn't Zelda 2 technically that? Or most Metroidvanias?
>>
Anyone else doing a visual novel here?

I find writing to be the hardest part, to be honest.
>>
>>324073781
>Cave Story
>action RPG
u wot m8
the game has zero RPG mechanics

Stuff like Muramasa is a good example, even games like the SotN-style castlevanias would count I'd say. You level up, have stats, find new gear and weapons, etc.
>>
>>324073880
midna?
>>
>>324073880
Saw ur shit in shortstacks thread, they are pretty nice and T H I C K but i dont see how could they fit into a game unless its for dick-teasing
>>
>>324073961

Yes I defenitely messed up with quoting you.
Well as the old game was, it doesn't exist any more. Neither does the setting. I still intend to keep the 'sci-fi' theme though, just slightly. It's just mostly in the HUD or in the weapon sprites and sounds. Maybe in the decals as well.
>>
>>324073880
Why does this undetailed unfinished 3d model give me a boner?
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (417 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
417 KB, 1366x768
>>324073983
What the hell is a poop goblin. They all poop don't they?
>>
>>324073730

I can forgive everything else but the giant cow tits are just too much. D-, see me after class.

>>324073801

I appreciate it anon but this is more of a personal project than anything else. I'm just doing this for fun, if I get other people involved then it will become work.
>>
>>324073921
Shit that actually looks pretty good, to easy for an RPG but good
>>324074071
Its got its leveling mechanics, which actually isnt to bad of an idea
>>324074001
Yeah I guess you're right, maybe if I slapped on some Status Elements
>>
>>324073781

Make beat em up combat / hack and slash combat.

Play Dungeons And Dragons beatemup series by Capcom for good examples.

Also play a top down game called Beyond Oasis by Sega on the genesis.

Its not 2D plane, but the combat is very punchy and satisfying for a RPG/Adventure game.

I am planning on making a adventure/RPG game but with Beat Em Up/Fighting Game combat.

Except I suck at making games, I barely can make the player move properly.

Im just an ideas man with dreams of making my game but I have no good experience.
>>
>>324073730
One more layer to go anon. It must be done. Also fat tits are wonderful don't listen to the homos
>>
>>324074439
>Its got its leveling mechanics
If you mean the weapon leveling, that really doesn't make the game an RPG
>>
>>324074569

Wouldn't you be able to concider a game a 'roleplaying game' as long as you can immerse yourself in a role?

I know I could. If that makes me a retard, than so be it.
>>
>>324074082
Not really intended to be, but it just came out like that
>>324074183
That is what most of her design is for, yes
>>324074198
Because you love Shortstacks
>>
>>324073781
There is also Ys III, though I personally never played it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXT1bwuOa7o
>>
>>324059126
I'd like to play that anon
>>
Just yesterday I finished a script in Unity for dialogue. I'm not really a programmer though, don't know anything besides C#, so it's kinda cruddy.
You need to put it on an object with 6 child UI elements, then edit 5 different arrays on the inspector. But at least it's flexible.
>>
File: 1425420675628.png (236 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1425420675628.png
236 KB, 480x360
>unity
>>
>>324074897
Finish chewing before you type.
>>
>>324074897
Unity isnt bad
Its free so It has produced a lot of bad
>>
>>324074897

Who are you quoting?
>>
>>324074969

Wether it is bad or not is up to the one that uses it.
>>
>>324074382
>I appreciate it anon but this is more of a personal project than anything else. I'm just doing this for fun, if I get other people involved then it will become work.
I understand, it's all good
>>
File: CharacterOldNew.png (95 KB, 916x524) Image search: [Google]
CharacterOldNew.png
95 KB, 916x524
Hello again folks! Posting the same stuff as yesterday I'm afriad.

Here's an image showing an art revision of my main character, after receiving some constructive criticism. (New one on the Left, old on the Right).

More coming in a minute! (Feedback always welcome too!)
>>
>>324074897

>Not using space Homer
>>
File: 1429974109415.gif (177 KB, 180x218) Image search: [Google]
1429974109415.gif
177 KB, 180x218
>>324054930
Can I use a 2D software to run a 3D game?
Like I want to have 3D models but all on a 2D surface?
>>
>>324068448
>>324068540
Are these yours? Do you have more?
I specially like the door, cauldron, and bomb ones
>>
File: CharacterFlyingNormal.gif (53 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
CharacterFlyingNormal.gif
53 KB, 256x256
>>324075458

And here's an animation of "Flying at a regular speed". This character has a jetpack strapped to him, but it's a different entity in the game, so it's not included in this animation (And I haven't redrawn it yet...)

Did some more work on animations today, but forgot to export them as gifs and I cba turning my PC back on now. If there's another thread tomorrow I'll post them then.
>>
File: space14.webm (952 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
space14.webm
952 KB, 960x540
Not a whole lot of progress. I'm working on dialog options.
>>
>>324075458

Looks pretty nice. It could use some more shading and gloss though... Maybe use a gradient on the lenses?

Keep up the good work anon
>>
>>324075578

You should probably use 3D Software for that. Unity could easily pull that off.
>>
>>324074978
you're doing it wrong
>>
>>324075578
You'd be best doing it the other way around. Use a 3D engine/environment but then restrict the Z position of your models.

(Look up a game called "The Deer God". Tell me if that's the sort of thing you mean)
>>
>>324068202
Alright.
1) I don't see how you can say this isn't like HM. It totally is. Not that it's a bad thing.
2) I didn't see much point in having to aim and sprint: to me it didn't seem that there was any advantage to not holding them down the entire time
3) the view is too zoomed in for my tastes. It meshed well with the speed anyway, but I'd have liked a bit more awareness
4) the AI seemed a bit sleepy, sometimes they had bullets flying around them and still didn't react
5) you should rework some tiles in areas like pic related because walls can be very hard to spot
6) game froze in the level after pic related

All around the controls felt good. The camera sway didn't bother me, but it didn't in HM either.
>>
>>324075641

I've been seeing your Webm's show up for a while now, and I have to ask;

What type of game are you planning to make? This looks pretty cool and all, but what do you want to have as a final product? Can you give a short description, as if you are trying to sell it to me?
>>
>>324052546
>specific game
>>
>>324075658
Thanks!

I'll try out a gradient once I've done a full pass on all the animations I've got thus far. Thanks for the feedback!
>>
>>324075641
That's neato, I'd play it
>>
whats the easiest engine for someone like me who has no idea where to begin with coding or programming? all I know how to do is draw.
>>
>>324059670
This is bait but there's some truth to it. Even if you have enough dedication/work ethic to actually learn all the skills necessary to make a game, once you get to that point you start to realize a lot of the ideas you used to have aren't technically feasible, or are ill-defined, or just flat-out not fun. When you can look at something and instantly see all the little flaws and hangups it's incredibly hard to motivate yourself to finish, let alone start, anything.

I wish I could go back, /v/
>>
>>324075937

Construct 2 probably.
>>
>>324075937
See >>324054930
Construct 2
>>
>>324075937
Gamemaker Probably. Plenty of tutorials and a large portion of their audience are schoolage kids (Teens)

That said, it's still perfectly possible to make a full game in it. Hotline Miami, Spelunky, Nidhogg and Undertale were all done in GM.
>>
>>324075641
What was the name of the long-legged one again?
>>
File: Zaheer vs Tenzin.webm (2 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Zaheer vs Tenzin.webm
2 MB, 800x450
I'm making a fighting game and I want to include characters I don't own. Can I get around being sued if I use the likeness of the character but change their name? Sorta like Broforce
>>
File: 1451703423803.png (58 KB, 632x600) Image search: [Google]
1451703423803.png
58 KB, 632x600
>Like the idea of creating a game
>Realize I don't have many skills to go into creating one and something I'd like to make would be far too ambitious of a first project
>Don't even think people would like the concept of the project anyway so you'd just end up making a game for yourself
>>
File: Sprite Stuff.png (5 KB, 171x202) Image search: [Google]
Sprite Stuff.png
5 KB, 171x202
>>324075458

I see you upscalled the sprite since last time. and your color choices are certainly better this time but there's still some colors that need better contrast. Your line work also needs improvements.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to provide you a detailed post of what needs work and I lost the link to this great sprite tutorial someone posted last time.

If you pop up again in another thread and post your wokr, I'll be glad to help.
>>
>>324075780

I'm going to respond the same way you did, for social reasons.

1) I understand how you formed that opinion. I implore you to reconsider. By playing an outdated version, you've only scratched the surface of what the game is really about.

2) Aiming and sprinting is something that I concidered to be a benefit to the 'fast paced gameplay' I was aiming for.

3) The final (online) version will be slightly zoomed out for shooting etc, but a lot more zoomed out when it comes to driving around town.

4) The AI is retarded. But that's my opinion. The one that wrote the A.I. stated that it's a difficult process. I expect people to be understanding this.

5) I'll take that tip. I will rework the tiles and walls.

6) I have the exact same bug. I hate it. Even more because I know what cames after that level.

Thank you for the kind feedback and critisism.
>>
File: 0000% Mad.jpg (35 KB, 480x538) Image search: [Google]
0000% Mad.jpg
35 KB, 480x538
>check the thread
>actual video games instead of homer laughing in space

good one lads
>>
>>324075824
You fly around and discover new planets (the planets won't be as close as this in the full game). You complete quests, and do all kinds of average rpg stuff.
That's what I have in mind for now. But the game is not far in development and I can go all kind of ways.
>>
>>324076197

> Can I get sued if I use some one else's character, or a likeness similar to it?

Absolutely.
>>
>>324076090
>>324076096
>>324076110
awesome thanks!

I want to make something like gunstar heroes. Nobodies making run and gun shooters like they used to anymore so I'm going to have to make one myself.
>>
i really want to move away from gamemaker but should probably release something more simple before starting an ambitious project
>>
File: CYK3w3IUoAAJazk.jpg (58 KB, 538x796) Image search: [Google]
CYK3w3IUoAAJazk.jpg
58 KB, 538x796
>>324076251
Just put it off till tomorrow, that's what I've been doing for years now.
>>
>>324076353

Thanks for the response. I'm genuinely excited.

I hope to see more of your work in these threads!
>>
>>324076197

It's legally risky. What you need to probably do is go for grounds of parody, but you'll have to make significant visual changes in order to avoid nasty legalities.

For example, you might want to take a look at the game "Kill The Plumber". He's managed to avoid getting sued thus far with some decent exposure.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/420070/
>>
>>324070754
Are you using some engine for VN?
>>
>>324076379

Good anon, I love run and guns. I'd like to make something similar to Sunset Riders someday. Best of luck.
>>
>>324076357
>>324076357
Can't I just say "All likeness is purely coincidental"
>>
>>324076254
http://www.kyrieru.com/p/this-first-part-will-cover-many-of.html?zx=ef6e6ac35d5b0060
>>
>>324076448
Thanks, I appreciate that!
>>
>>324076493
>Sunset Riders
YES!!! love that game.
and thanks.
>>
>>324076420
Sounds like a great plan. Though I have been itching to write some of my ideas down in a note book.
>>
>>324076518

Yep! That's the one. Thanks anon.

>>324075458
>>324075636

Take a look at the link provided by the kind anon. That pretty much sums up everything.
>>
>>324076494

No that isn't going to cut it, i'm afraid.

You could always just ask these companies for their opinion on the subject. Ask if you could use a 'likeness' of their characters and think of a reason to do so, however, make it a good one.
>>
File: 1408893339934.jpg (105 KB, 413x600) Image search: [Google]
1408893339934.jpg
105 KB, 413x600
>>
>>324076672
Well fuck. Better make it free instead then
>>
File: cum gimmie a hug man.jpg (18 KB, 600x611) Image search: [Google]
cum gimmie a hug man.jpg
18 KB, 600x611
Im trying to learn making games on gamemaker right now

I think GMS is just way too fucking confusing for me right now, i feel like im drooling at the screen like a retard when I try to learn programming. I still can't even figure out to do anything beyond moving my character left and right, and I am not even sure if I am doing it the right way for my game.

Is it better to just learn Drag and Drop in gamemaker first or learn construct 2 if you are brand new at making games and programming is just too frustrating. I want to have at least a bit of fun making games, but I seriously can't get over the programming hurdle, I feel like a loser retard and want to give up.
>>
>>324076254
Hi again! I still have that image saved, and thanks once again!

I'm expecting to have quite a few revisions before it's all done and finalized, so I'm sure you'll see me around again at some point! I'm quite happy with the overall design of the guy now, but I'll have a search for more colouring tuts in the mean time!

Cheers!
>>
>>324076784

I would just use really small similarities. Use completely different names. Maybe then you could use the 'coincidence' statement.
>>
File: creatures.png (6 KB, 580x680) Image search: [Google]
creatures.png
6 KB, 580x680
>>324076169
Tiptip!
If you're bored and send me a alien creature design I might add it to the game.
??? was originally drawn by anon, he didn't name it though :(
>>
>>324076784
It could work if you're careful, anon. You just need to be completely sure that you can get away with it.
>>
>>324076642

Ah yes, I've been following that one as it happens! I think I need more practice in messing with hues and saturations for shading purposes, as it does still seem like a bit of an alien concept.

Oh well, practice makes perfect!
>>
>>324077081
I forgot to add, not sure what to do with the bottom one. I can't think of a good body for it. Maybe it just rolls his head around.
>>
>>324077081

Call it a Wogyrm
>>
>>324076267
I'm going to change the way I respond to you because I'm a jerk.
>By playing an outdated version
I played what you gave me.
>Aiming and sprinting is something that I concidered to be a benefit to the 'fast paced gameplay' I was aiming for.
It would, but not if there's no reason to not sprint and aim all the time.
>The AI is retarded.
It's not terrible, just needs more work.

I also forgot to mention something about ammo count, but I'd suspect that's something that you thought about already anyway.
>>324077081
>Tiptip
Hehe, I remembered it was good.
>>
>>324077235
>checks if Wogyrm is not some type of hentai or weird fetish
Sure
>>
File: stepCounterpersistence.webm (2 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
stepCounterpersistence.webm
2 MB, 1024x576
Still workin' on my roguelike. Added a placeholder UI and now I'm working on a game title screen, a settings menu, and saving/loading games.
I'm having a lot of fun and I hope it's ok to post this here and on agdg.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 97

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.