[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people hate this game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 11
File: SHhomecoming.jpg (1005 KB, 972x972) Image search: [Google]
SHhomecoming.jpg
1005 KB, 972x972
Why do people hate this game?
>>
I'm one of the few that love the game. The PC port is garbage, but the story to me was interesting and I like the combat.
>>
I think other than 1-4 it's the best one. Nobody could make a game like the originals, ever. Silent Hills would have been pretty damn close, I bet. but out of homecoming, origins, shattered memories, and downpour, homecoming is the best one imo.
>>
>>323964851
Been playing for a few hour, and it's not bad at all. It's definitely not as bad as /v/ said.
>>
>>323964641
It was just another entry in the Silent Hill series that tried so hard to replicate the success of the second game. It'd be average at best without the connection to Silent Hill.
>>
It's a good game.

Shattered Memories is by far the worst.
>>
>>323965321
>Average at best without the connection to Silent Hill

They would all be average if they weren't SH games. The style of gameplay associated with the atmosphere is what make SH games fun.
>>
>>323964851
PC port was pretty bad I tried changing the resolution and the screen went black. I had to go through the files to reset the resolution which is annoying to do for a game I bought with money
>>
Shit protag
Shit supporting cast
Buggy as all hell (this is coming from someone who loves SH4)
Awful monster design
Awful story
Atmosphere is derivative of the movie more than the games

>>323965630

I hate Shattered Memories but it's not as bad as Homecoming
>>
i tolerated it it.nothing more, nothing less
>>
>>323964641
PT was a better Silent Hill game
>>
>>323965630
This, shittered isn't even a silent hill game.
>>
>>323964851
It's the only SH I've gotten every ending on.
I think it's fun, sure it threw in some enemies that had no place but I genuinely enjoyed it.
>>
>>323964641
Because the protagonist is a fucking ninja.
>>
>>323964641
i don't want ever to play it because the cover looks like gabagool
>>
File: 1452821670707.jpg (31 KB, 332x348) Image search: [Google]
1452821670707.jpg
31 KB, 332x348
I think the idea of having dead children be the main plot point is cool and some of the bosses are cool, but its kinda meh, not the worst game ever though.
>>
>>323964641
Because it felt more like max payne than Silent Hill.
>>
>>323968238
wut?
>>
File: silent hill.jpg (120 KB, 1286x988) Image search: [Google]
silent hill.jpg
120 KB, 1286x988
Liked it enough to finish it to completion. First silent hill game I've ever played and completed. Now I'm playing Silent Hill 1 on a PS1 Emulator and holy shit the soundtrack and atmosphere is fantastic.
>>
>>323964641
because it shows that developers only played SH2 and didnt understood main themes and motives in SH1.2.3.4

Its copy worst of the worst horror movie examples ever... : Saw, Hostel and Silent Hill the movie. with plot from silent hill 2

Is gameplay ok? I guess... Can you like it? sure you can. Its awarage game at best. But as a silent hill game its completely horible and it shits on previous one.

Its also painful that this one has biggest budget and was missed opportunity to revive SH series and make it relevant again.

Every single western developed game is ripoff of silent hill 2. Origins, Homecoming, SHSM, Downpour. Its a same fucking story about facing your sins and sentient town who is a therapist to the main protagonists.

Its unbelievable how much they dint care about original team and legacy.

> Thank you Tom Hulet and i hope you die you piece of shit
>>
>>323969073
The combat. It feels more like R4 onwards than a SH game.
Alex is too strong.
>>
>>323964641

Because it´s not a Silent Hill game
>>
>>323969083

After that play Silent Hill 3, you´ll love it anon
>>
>>323964641
I dunno. I've been wanting try it and find out. I love Shattered Memories, so it just not being one of the first four games won't necessarily be a problem.

Half the reason I want to play it is the song though

ONE MORE SOUL TO THE CALL

But yeah, if it ends up as bad as the reputation, I won't be surprised.
>>
It has a great soundtrack.

That alone makes it far better than Downpour.
Well that, and the fact that it is at least playable.
>>
>>323964641
Because it's the silent hill game that didn't need to be a silent hill game, like if it changed a few references and made it an original story, it would have been a better game
>>
I liked it
>>
I just started 2.
>James doesn't even double take at the fact that the town's completely abandoned now
>that akward, tereibly voice acted,and forced as fuck conversation with Laura

Oh boy It feels like i'm about to dislike another supposed masterpiece.
>>
>>323969083
Just that introduction alone is one of my favorite moments in games.

But like >>323969380 said, 3 is a direct sequel to 1 and brings back a lot of the flavor in terms of atmosphere and color back. But if the story itself of 1 isn't something you dig, I'd go straight to 2 first.

Shattered Memories I'd say is very much worth looking into, particularly if you end up liking 2. You get to be Harry again, but it is a completely different kind of story.
>>
File: 5123996_orig.jpg (69 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
5123996_orig.jpg
69 KB, 512x512
>>323964641
because it could have been better?

overall it was average. i enjoyed it, but than again i didn't pay for it, i got my friend to buy it for me.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4HfgwLmyd8
>>
>>323969182
Tom Hullet's work on this game extends to writing a poem in it and unfucking the game's story.

Seriously, the original story was fucking retarded.
>>
>>323969380
>>323970546
Thanks guys. I'm at the Balkan Church and just received the Flauros. Figured I would go in order actually (1, 2, and 3. Maybe 4 when I get the chance) Though seriously why did I wait to play this game?
>>
>>323964641
Watered (kek) down Silent Hill 2 mixed in with the movie.
>>
>>323971005
retarded how?

Story of the finished game is completely retarded.... and a clone of Silent hill 2 ... so how did he make it better?
>>
>>323969195
And then it turns out HE WASN"T EVEN A GODDAMN SOLDIER
>>
>>323971376
Like having Josh and Alessa fighting over the lake fucking DBZ Style and hamfisting characters from every game into the story for no reason.
>>
>>323969182
>>323971005
People don't like to remember that Tom Hullet is one man and that making games can be really complicated, especially with giant teams and multinational corporations involved. Pointing fingers at just one man makes things simple and convenient, more so than in real life, so we can accept it and sort it out in our heads.

He honestly seems like the kind of dude I'd be perfectly cool with having some beers with.

Seriously, just read this.

http://www.nodontdie.com/tomm-hulett/
>>
>>323971195
Also killing real living breathing people with a pipe ..... in a series that glorified subtle symbolism...

> its just wrong

In every posible way this game is atrocity. Only good point is that .... ugh.... ufo ending.. i guess
>>
>>323972043
Fuck you I totally forgot about the cult enemies with guns, how could they fuck up so bad
>>
>>323972043
Soldiers kill people.
>>
>>323971979
TL;DR version: Konami was what really ruined Silent Hill. Tom Hullet might have fucked up here and there, but nothing that mattered in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>323971979
Tom Hulet is A LIER... every single thing he sad was a lie to promote his SH2 clones....

He managed to be executive producer one of the writers and director on 4 SH2 clones that are each bad in its own way...but no. that wasnt enough.. he then went and destroy originals with HD collection.
He is at least incompetent. and a Liar... who didnt even liked originals

>>323972334
not with pipes and he wasnt a soldier.
>>
>>323972043
but it could have been worse . . . .
>>
>>323972774
4? He didn't even work on Origins.

Games he actually worked in depth on are...

Shattered Memories
Downpour
Book of Memories
HD Collection

Fuck, Arcade copies SH2 earlier than any other game did.
>>
i liked the doll boss
>>
>>323972689
yes konami but again... what if series went to some talented and passionate sh nerds? Someone who can talk without stuttering (unlike Tom Hulet who cant even make a sentence)? Some one who at least liked series in a first place....

not some random iliterate psycho who considered himself walking talking Sh bible....

>>323973135
he was involved in Homecoming .. he "unfuck story" with his great writing skills he made it a SH2 clone.
In origins he was adviser to great writer Sam Barlow who didnt even understood Sh1 story and to William Ortel another genius. Also Sh2 clone

You are mentioning Arcade game where people shoot sh creatures from entire series? wtf .. entire game is a fan service......
>>
File: 1446548461124.jpg (28 KB, 600x437) Image search: [Google]
1446548461124.jpg
28 KB, 600x437
>western horror games
>>
File: 1452485667731.jpg (20 KB, 451x359) Image search: [Google]
1452485667731.jpg
20 KB, 451x359
>>323964641

HM is one of those games that could have just been its own game, inspired by Silent Hill. It had its moments, but fell ultimately flat on its face with it rehashing SH2 and making the cult so obvious and violent in their methods. It was a decent effort for trying to make a spin-off at the very least.
>>
>>323973796
>who cant even make a sentence

Look who's talking.
>>
>>323974368
yes but engrish is not my native language... unlike to him.. and i am not talking i am writing you retarded homoerotic ape-man.
>>
File: TeamSH3.png (372 KB, 604x496) Image search: [Google]
TeamSH3.png
372 KB, 604x496
>>323972689

Konami is really scummy in general, especially how they treated the original Team Silent members. One of the guy's on the original team had to go through hell and back just to get his name on the game's credits, because some upper asshole in a suit wanted him to work but without getting any credit.
>>
>>323964641
One of the game's central points is that the protagonist knows hot to fight because he was in the military, and this idea makes no sense once you reach the endgame.
>>
Basicly suffers from a lot of the problems that every SH after 2 has:

>Tries to be SH2
>The plot twist at the end is obvious
>The choice system is garbage, it's literally
Press [X] for good ending
Press [O] for bad ending
>Give you the ability to fight anything so the sense of danger is reduced by a lot because i know my character can take on anything i see
>Little to no symbolism, either it's something extremely vague or it is right on your face
>The character is there mainly because he is an idiot, there is you can't feel sympathetic for this asshole
>Side characters are useless

You can tell how ''westernized'' this game is by looking at the weapons, the quick time events and the inventory system. They need to remember you are there for the narrative and the atmosphere with that high dose of symbolism SH has allways been good at. It's supposed to be an ''experience'' rather than a game

>>323974834
Agreed, and i really hate that he knows how to fight his way, it removes some of the horror aspect if you have a guy who can take on stuff
>>
>we want RE4's audience
>>
>>323974618

Pretty sure that was Keichiro Toyama. After the first SH he said fuck Konami, joined Japan Studio, and made Siren. Lol.
>>
>>323974834
But it never said that's the reason the combat style is the way it is.
>>
>>323974928
those mentioned problems are not present in Sh3 and 4
>>
>>323975067
That was Origin and then someone stepped with with a "What the fuck are you doing, why isn't this game done yet?"

I'd like to plat Climax US's version one day just to try it out.
>>
>>323974834

Well, that might be a symptom of advertising or previews of the game getting the wrong idea and making people think something that wasn't actually the case. I remember reading that, too, in a magazine, not in the game itself. Alex thinks he was in the military, though, so maybe he's just smart enough to know how to use a gun and hit stuff with an axe, lol.
>>
>>323974928
Also it copies SAW and HOSTEL.... it blows my mind ...i cant even think what were they thinking.....
>>
The music and boss designs were great, as were some parts of the otherworld aesthetics (but they went way too far with it at the end with the clocktower and shit).

The combat is okay.
The story is garbage.
The characters are awful.

Overall I enjoyed it.
I also enjoyed Downpour despite terrible enemy designs.
>>
>>323975067
Silent Hill has always competed with Resident Evil. A lot of people said it was Konami's Resident Evil.
>>
>>323975140
Oh sorry, didn't mean SH4, but SH3 suffers the same problem where you can shoot and fight anything you want, besides you can guess who Heather is in the first 10 minutes of the game, i really don't like how good you can defend yourself in that game

SH4 made monumentaly bad gameplay choices, especially having you coming back to the room and basicly replaying the game on the 2nd half, but goddamn, the symbolism and the story on that game were god tier for me
>>
>>323975262
Is the knife the best weapon in Origin's too? Can you do a knife only run?
>>
>monsters have no thematic function or subtlety, just popping up and attacking the town like space aliens
>forced combat all over the place
>no unique direction, just rehashing stuff from other games and the movie
>protagonist's abilities make no fucking sense in the context of the plot
>retarded concept of moral choices
>Order reduced to Hostel rednecks
>>
File: Jenny_Wakeman.png (685 KB, 1332x1000) Image search: [Google]
Jenny_Wakeman.png
685 KB, 1332x1000
>>323975715

you pretty much nailed all the issues I had with this game
>>
>>323975280
he is introducing himself as being back from military and war....

>>323975327
music is ok
boss designs are ok at best
otherworld is greyorange world... nothing else

>>323975431
yes but it wasnt a TWIST you were suposed to make that conection when you first open inventory ...if you played sh1 and have a working brain....
actyally Sh3 is lot more difficult then sh2....it has more confined space combat with malee weapons vs ranged enemie, On hard mode this game is THE BEST Survival horror game. YOu just need to not pick that mashine gun with unlimited amno.

Sh4 backtracking and room as a hub was not that bad...story and symbolism god tier i agree.
>>
>>323976060
>he is introducing himself as being back from military and war....

yeah, he thinks he was but he wasn't. maybe you got a different ending or something. theres like 5
>>
>>323976191
so if i think i am a terminator... that will give me the ability to break trough the wall with my arm?
>>
File: no clip lol.gif (493 KB, 500x170) Image search: [Google]
no clip lol.gif
493 KB, 500x170
>>323964641
I loved it. It had some dumb moments and was the love-child of SH2 and the SH movie. For everything did it wrong though I think it did just as much right. Overall I think it was just overly ambitious and tried to appeal too much without realizing how niche the SH games are.
>>
File: 1452543524982.jpg (83 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
1452543524982.jpg
83 KB, 500x600
>>323977093
>Overall I think it was just overly ambitious and tried to appeal too much without realizing how niche the SH games are.

Sounds like the fate of all horror franchises belonging to big name studios.
>>
I don't understand the complaint that his fighting ability conflicts with the character. They just polished up the fighting style. You don't have to be a green beret to get out of the way when something tries to kill you , nor do you have to be an army ranger to hit something with a pipe.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.