[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It sucks 3 hours ingame and I havent done anything interesting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: smd.png (137 KB, 250x223) Image search: [Google]
smd.png
137 KB, 250x223
It sucks
3 hours ingame and I havent done anything interesting yet
Its nothing like red rescue team.
>>
The game gets way better then as you go along, you probably haven't even left school yet.
Also rescue team was shit anyway.
>>
It gets slightly better after the first ten hours but you'll always feel sort of like you're falling short of the scope of Explorers of Sky.
>>
>>323752495
Can i play as Pancham? This is my major determining factor in purchasing it.
>>
>>323753991
You can play as anyone.

Just gotta catch em
>>
>>323753991
Not as a starter main character. Outside of the story you can as long as it is not to high a level.
>>
>>323752495
Its better than Red Rescue Team. It shares many similarities. The only real difference and problem you're having is that its slower than Red Rescue Team. The interesting stuff comes from Chapter 9 onwards. Chapter 6 you start gaining a little freedom.
Where Red Rescue Team was a 10 hour game, Super is a 28 hour game.
>>
>Just got to primeval forest
>out of revieve seedd

What do?
>>
Nintendo is really, really bad at pacing in their games. Usually the first 3 to 4 hours are hand holding tutorials that literally spell out every single mechanic in the game as if the player were a brain-dead idiot completely incapable of independent thought.

Once you get past that point and can actually play the game yourself, it's pretty good.
>>
>>323752495
At least you didn't pay for it.
>>
File: super mystery dungeon pokemon.jpg (126 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
super mystery dungeon pokemon.jpg
126 KB, 400x240
>>323754251
Git gud
Or Escape orb
You should be using all of your available items like hotcakes though. Don't rely only on reviver seeds.
>>
File: Pancham.full.1498986.jpg (357 KB, 1596x1416) Image search: [Google]
Pancham.full.1498986.jpg
357 KB, 1596x1416
>>323754069
>>323754090
>Not as a starter main
Fuck. At least i can play as him later i guess. The game has been talked up a lot so i figured i should consider giving it a shot.
>>
File: 100%c.png (480 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
100%c.png
480 KB, 800x600
good game
>>
Ive never really interacted with this series much. Can anyone summarize it to me in the most insultingly simplistic way possible?
>>
>>323754419
He's a semi relevant character for a good while if that means anything
>>
>>323754484
Its a dungeon crawler with pokemon.
>>
>>323754484

Rogue-like where you play as Pokemon
>>
>>323754321
mystery dungeon inst made by endo tho
its made by chunsoft the same people who have made all the other dungeons. I dont know why they went with tehe "u are a kid and you go to LITTERALLY school"
fucking hated that part and the other parts didnt feel much more interesting either
stopped playing after entei.
>>
>>323754484
You used to be human and now you're not. Figure out why while the world around you gets fucked over by something.
Gameplay wise, imagine Etrian Odyssey but top down instead of first person where battles take place on the field instead of in random encounters and the maps change every time you enter them instead of staying the same.
>>
wait what this series is still going on? I played i think it was explorers of time a while ago and shit was great.

found a headband that let me go though walls and shit.

is this one worth getting?
>>
I don't think I did anything cool in any rescue team.
I just wanna play a rogue like with pokemon.
So I rush the story, get my favorite pokemon, and continue on with my life.
Faggot.
>>
The pacing is messy both gameplay and storywise. The game's pretty much full handhold mode for the first fourth to the point that the first dungeon is pretty much completely automated and doesn't fully open up until after the halfway point.

>>323754251
Use your items, anon.

You can also just save, quit, go to the main menu, and hit the shops through Pelipper Island and drop the items in storage.
>>
>>323754484
Pokemon, but its about the Pokemon instead of the humans.
>>323754713
Yes, this one is worth getting. Just know that its much slower paced than Explorers, but that its also harder than explorers.
>>
>>323754489
That's cute, it's nice to know he's getting some screen time in the game. I just love his design.

It wouldnt hurt trying it out i guess. I just hope there's a starter to my liking.
>>
>>323754672
>Gameplay wise, imagine Etrian Odyssey but top down instead of first person where battles take place on the field instead of in random encounters and the maps change every time you enter them instead of staying the same.

That's the most convoluted way to say "roguelike" I've ever seen
>>
>>323754802
Its all the region starters + Pikachu + Rioli
>>
>>323754802
You get Pikachu, Riolu, and all the standard starters from mainline to choose from.

>>323754672
Pokemon + Etrian Odyssey when?
>>
>>323754787

haha fuck yes. I hope they still have op rare items because the headband was god tier fun last I played
>>
File: available starters.png (131 KB, 560x112) Image search: [Google]
available starters.png
131 KB, 560x112
>>323754802
The starters available are:
>Charmander
>Squirtle
>Bulbasaur
>Cyndaquil
>Chikorita
>Totodile
>Torchic
>Treeko
>Mudkip
>Chimchar
>Turtwig
>Piplup
>Snivy
>Oschawott
>Tepig
>Fennekin
>Chespin
>Froakie
>Pikachu
>Riolu
>>323754871
I've never played any roguelikes besides PMD so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>323754893
>>323754930
Oh that's good to hear. They evolve too like in the standard games, right? I always liked Bulbasaur but was never a huge fan of his evos.
>>
>>323755174
You can evolve after the story.
Just note that it doesn't change base stats, just learnable moves and sometimes ability.
>>
>>323755174
You don't evolve until postgame, and it's optional, but you can.

Protip: only ever evolve you and your partner. Otherwise it causes problems.
>>
>>323755174
Yes they temporarily evolve during story events and you can permanently evolve them post game
>>
>>323755314
What problems?
>>
>>323755174
Not at all. You have to go to a special location to evolve and its only available in postgame. Some PMD games have story reasons for this. Either way, its kind of cool how evolution is used in Super and the idea of being a kid beating the crap out of everything is fun.
>>
>>323755357
>temporary evolve
We /digimon/ now
>>
>>323755367
You can only recruit one of every Pokemon, besides you and your partner. And there's no nicknames. So you'll have for example if you evolve a Kakuna, you'll always have two Beedrills and can never get a Kakuna again.
>>
>>323754547
>>323754568
>>323754672
>>323754787

Thanks.
>>
>>323755560
That isn't a prooblerm. The game still registers you having collected the original pokemon and can still get 100%. Evolved Pokemon don't even change their quote thingy.
I evolve a Buneary because Lopunny kept fucking off because of her high leve.
>>
>>323754930
>Pokemon + Etrian Odyssey when?

It's called Strange Journey.
>>
File: 1452259505165.jpg (151 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1452259505165.jpg
151 KB, 2048x1365
>>323755287
>>323755314
>>323755357
>>323755424
That actually works out pretty good. Like i said with Bulbasaur i love how he looks as is but never cared for his evos. That sounds like a pretty neat premise being able to get more use out of pokemon that arent fully evolved. In the main games evolving is always for the best and you can never hold on to pokemon you really like if you want to also battle with them without knowing you're seriously limiting their potential.
>>
>>323755821
Which has the heart of neither series.
>>
>>323755560
>You can only recruit one of every Pokemon, besides you and your partner.
This is unfortunate but it's still better than retarded shit like Pokemon having -36% recruitment rates.

>And there's no nicknames.
if you honestly planned to nickname 780 of these fuckers you're legitimately insane
>>
Its good, but the way the recruitment system works and the fact you STILL can't evolve during the main quest make it less fun. Still better than Gates to Infinity though.
>>
>>323755913
I evolved my grass starter so they could learn Frenzy Plant. Best room AOE grass move I think.
>>
>>323754968
You get what's called looplets and you find little gems called emeras in dungeons to equip on the looplet. Some of them get really overpowered with the right combination.

>Barrage gives you a chance to use a move twice
>Type Bulldozer removes resistances to your moves
>Power Boost X and Y increase attack and special attack and together increase accuracy

There's another, I forget what it's called but every even PP you use is a guaranteed hit and will crit, which is amazing with multi-hit moves like Pin Missile
>>
>>323755821
That's like saying go play Azure Dreams if I wanted a Pokemon + Mystery Dungeon game or something.
>>
>>323756042
Do evos always have good or better movesets than their pre-evolved forms?
>>
>>323757034
Most of them do.
All full evos starters can learn their ultimate type move which are all room moves now.
But most can learn more moves. Like a Torchic can't obviously know fighting toe moves until it evolves.
It really depends on each one.
>>
>>323757367
At least i can go through the main game before having to worry about optimizing my plays with evolutions.
>>
>>323752495
I wanted to enjoy this game more, especially since I really liked Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of Darkness back in the day, and there's quite a bit the game does well, but there was just too much that weighed the experience down for me. The schoolyard stuff at the start kinda shits on the self-insert aspect if you aren't a kid, doing missions as filler between story missions gets tiring, the mission difficulty really starts to spike and forces you to tag in overleveled recruits to stand a chance in half of the tasks you're signed up for, most of the NPCs spout hollow descriptions of themselves instead of saying anything relevant to anything, and the ending of the main story made me feel like shit just so I could drag myself through an epilogue that felt both padded and insubstantial. By the time I hit the end of the game, I was so sick of it all that I just shut it off.
>>
>>323759796
>i'm retarded and don't use items
>i'm retarded and can't just assume i was given a kid's body when turned into a pokemon
>i'm retarded and expect deep characters in all 720 pokemon
>>
>>323760042
>Items won't always save you from a dungeon clearly designed for Pokemon way above your level
>Even making that assumption it felt weird having my character lumped together with what felt like elementary schoolers
>I'm not asking all 720 Pokemon to have deep personalities, but at least give the ones populating the hub something interesting to say instead of introducing themselves like a kindergartner would
>>
The gameplay improvements in this game make it impossible to go back to earlier games.

> Emera system
> very diverse starting movesets

I can't get used to only having Tackle and Water Gun for 90% of the game again like in the previous entries
>>
>>323760718
>Items won't always save you from a dungeon clearly designed for Pokemon way above your level
>Even making that assumption it felt weird having my character lumped together with what felt like elementary schoolers

>i'm retarded and forgot to use wands, which will take me out of literally every dangerous situation
>i'm retarded (read: autistic) and feel weird talking to children
>a lot of them have something 'interesting' to say anyway, it's sometimes a joke
>>
the first part is slow but it fucking picks up like crazy
>>
>>323759796
Pretty sure instead of missions you just have to pass days, like in the other games you can go do a basic dungeon with 3-4 floors to pass a day without recruiting anyone and the story will move forward.
>>
The biggest issue with the game is that it spend the whole first half introducing all these characters and then completely ditches all of them and brings in another new set of characters.
>>
>>323762430
I never thought to do that, but I still think it's a bit ridiculous how early you start to get missions that are way out of your character's league, and the disconnect between plot advancement and days where you're just killing time felt too obvious to me.

>>323762954
That's pretty annoying too. I would have liked more chances to bring along plot characters on dungeons, maybe give them a bit to say during and after and make it feel like I'm actually adventuring with friends (like the first time you pick a classmate to tag along with you), but for large chunks of the game you don't get to do anything with them. You can't even team up with Expedition Society members for non-plot stuff until you're done with the epilogue.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.