[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just beat this game, I enjoyed it a lot. What are /v/'s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (200 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
200 KB, 1024x768
Just beat this game, I enjoyed it a lot.
What are /v/'s personal opinions on it?

Also general Metroid thread I guess.
>>
First time I was really scared in a game.
>>
>>323210910
its a good game
its pretty
people think linearity is a sin

did you hear footsteps?
>>
great game

SA-X is creepy as fuck, the bosses are really good, the atmosphere is tense and eery, and it did a dark storyline really well

Didnt like the linearity, but it didnt bother me that much
>>
>>323210910
So Samus is canonically the most powerful video game character (that isn't a god) after Fusion, right?
>>
>>323210910
It's pretty good. I don't think it's the best game in the series, but it definitely has the best villain. Atmosphere is also great. It feels like a sci-fi horror movie.
>>
File: metroid_om_11_1600.jpg (696 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
metroid_om_11_1600.jpg
696 KB, 1600x1200
great game. great boss fights, good flow, has narrative tension.

other m is a direct prequel
>>
>>323211442

end game zero mission samus is more broken
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 500x405) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 500x405
>>323211442
How?
>>
It holds your hand almost the entire time and it's too easy.
>>
First handheld Metroid game I played, really liked it. SA-X was scary as fuck, even more during the chase sequences.

Great boss battles too. But fuck that spider boss when the power goes out, annoying as fuck.
>>
>>323211442
Maybe most powerful non-magician.
>>
It's always been my favorite Metroid game, has some of the best atmosphere for a handheld game. It's a shame that A-teams aren't put on 2D titles like they used to, the GBA was truly the end of an era.
>>
>>323210910
It's a great game, but I didn't really like how much Samus talked to herself. It wasn't terribly annoying like Other M, but it wasn't necessary either.
>>
File: Fusion.jpg (219 KB, 783x960) Image search: [Google]
Fusion.jpg
219 KB, 783x960
I liked the boss fights and the general atmosphere, but the linearity and the lengthy dialogue kind of drag the game down. It's still great, but not as great as Zero Mission.
>>
>>323211672
I'm talking canon though.

>>323211952
Didn't she gain the Metroid's life force sucking ability as part of the whole infection and stuff? So besides having her genes spliced with a near perfect alien species, undergoing years upon years of training, possessing a self contained powered exoskeleton that shoots pulse weapons, small missiles, and shit like ice beams, lava beams, eetc etc, that's resistant to lava, immune to radiation, resistant to physical force attacks and small arms, that boosts her already superhuman strength and reflexes, she also has the ability to straight up suck the life force from any opponent.

>>323212385
Might have a point there. Depends on what the magician could do to her before she killed them first though.
>>
>>323210910
Better than Super (only hipsters/nostalgiafags will disagree), but not better than Zero Mission.
>>
>>323210910
I got more salty than I should have when I found out I got locked into the final boss sequence and couldn't backtrack, made me think less of the game as a whole.

While it is a great game in retrospect I do think that the linear style of the game made me dislike it much more than the other 2D games.
>>
>>323213492
Zero Mission ending was terrible.
>>
>>323213383
She gained the ability to prey on x but that's about it. She's stronger during corruption when she's not having cancer induced fits of vomiting
>>
>>323210910
Best Metroid game.
>>
File: 1440802348547.gif (2 MB, 374x354) Image search: [Google]
1440802348547.gif
2 MB, 374x354
>>323213492

Better than Super (only hipsters/nostalgiafags will disagree)

How the fuck are you not the hipster in this regard
>>
>>323210910
Good with one scary sequence, but armor looks stupid and super metroid is better.
>>
>>323211212

Linearity isn't inherently bad, but it's understandable why it's upsetting when linear games pop up in a series known for being non-linear.
>>
>>323211212
Nothing wrong with linearity in general, but Metroidvania games are known for not being linear and it's a big reason why they are so fun and while people like that style.
>>
>>323214065
Like when she's all in hypermode and shit?
>>
>>323210910
Nightmare was cool
>>
>>323215562
Yup. On top of insane damage output, she also can heal herself by letting the phazon go unstable.
>>
My favourite 2d Metroid. I always make sure to beat it in one sitting once a year.
>>
>>323215836
>she can die if she DOESN'T fire pure phazon radiation beams from time to time
>on the planet made of phazon she locked herself in permanent phazon shooting mode, becoming a walking stream of death
Hmmmm, you might be correct here, anon.
>>
>>323213383

Sakamoto said (before he went crazy) that the Sa-X at the end of the game killed off her Metroid DNA and restored her old DNA. That's why she got the ice beam working.
>>
Its good. Not the best Metroid but still a great game
>>
>>323210910
First Metroid game I ever played. A lot of people complain about its linearity, but the boss fights, soundtrack, levels, and the SA-X are all so awesome it's fairly negligible.
>>
>>323216368
>before he went crazy
I think the fact that Fusion is full of Samus taking orders from one of the most boring AI entities in the history of fiction and talking to herself about how amazing it is was pretty indicative that Sakamoto had already started to lose it at that point. He probably already had the workings of Other M formulated in his head.
>>
>>323217119

Well duh, Other M is just fusion but with the good removed and the bad multiplied 50x.
>>
>>323212643
I played Fusion before Super, but I prefer the latter. Super Metroid is much more open to exploration with it's non-linearity. While Fusion is more linear dosen't make it bad, it has a story to tell and so it does.

Also, saying that those who disagrees with you are ''hipster/nostalgiafags'' is kinda single minded.
>>
>>323211442
No.
>>
>>323217119
He did, in the Zero Mission Q/A he said he wanted to make a game that was about Samus's past with Adam. He also stated we would find out why Ridley's Body was on the station in the future. Back in 1994 he stated he wanted to see Samus in an action game along with knowing where her mole was. I think he has been planning Other M for a long time unfortunately.
>>
>>323219416
That's depressing on a few different levels.
>>
>>323219416
>>323219616
The guy has George Lucas syndrome.
>We actually wanted to make it this shitty back then, but we couldn't because of technical limitations
>>
>>323219874

Thank god Nintendo booted him from the franchise. Now hopefully we can get a real game after Federation Force.
>>
>>323220087
He's still in charge of the Metroid franchise, just not the Prime games. He was never booted his position is the same as it has always been.
>>
>>323220385
So he's in charge of Metroid pinball games now?
>>
>>323210910
Enjoyable and well made, but didn't have enough free-form exploring like Super did.

Overall good although it started some unfortunate trends that led to all the shit in Other M.
>>
>>323220698
I said he wasn't in charge of Prime that's Tanabe. Sakamoto is in charge of Metroid NES/Zero Mission, Metroid II: Return of Samus, Super Metroid, Metroid: Fusion, Metroid : Other M, & if it's announced in the future Metroid 5.
>>
>>323217119

I think it was Gunpei Yokoi keeping him in line, really. With him out of the way, there was no one to stop him.
>>
>>323210910
I liked it a lot when I played ten years ago. tried it again two years ago and found I'd grown out of Metroidvania. it just felt like I was running down hallways, that was the whole thing, completely pointless. I was pretty depressed at the time, might have been that, but I really don't think I get it anymore
>>
>>323210910
Top 3 metroid games: Super Metroid > Prime > Fusion.

Big nintoddler here so take it or leave it. I will say that out of all the metroid titles, Fusion is one of the hardest.
>>
>>323219874
>>323221686

That's the true George Lucas syndrome isn't it? Gaining full control of the project so no one can tell you 'no' or keep your failings in check.
>>
I liked Fusion a lot. Didn't mind the dialog that much, but could have been a little less linear. In the very least, they shouldn't have blocked-off old zones.

Metroid 2 is my favorite
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.